Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack and Windows 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunkirkmd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: MagicJack and Windows 7

I have used MJ for 5 years now without a flaw. Two weeks ago I purchased a new HP Pavillion g6 series notebook with Windows7 Home Premium installed. I got the notebook home and downloaded Bitdefender IS 2012. Next I inserted the MJ device in the right side USB. It went through a download of the drivers and my contacts list would not load. I deinstalled and reinstalled and no such luck. I went to the MJ website to chat tech support and the MJ website is blocked on this particular notebook (I know this because I could take my old notebook, connect wirelessly and access the MJ website with no issues. So I began troubleshooting Bitdefender IS2012. I found nothing in the settings that would indicate an issue. In fact I took my old notebook that has BD IS2012 and mirrored the settings on the new notebook. I further deinstalled BD IS2012 and tried to access the MJ website without a firewall and still could not get into it. I also disabled the other firewall and no luck. I also went into Internet Options and added the MJ website as a Trusted site. Occassionally I can deinstall MJ and reinstall and my contacts list will load for an hour or two then MJ shuts down and reboots and the contacts will not reload. There are also times when reinstalling MJ I get a message that the software did not install properly. I have researched this for two weeks and downloaded upgrades that have been posted in this forum over the last 2 yrs and nothing has worked. One additional item is when it is inserted in the right side USB it will come up as Drive G in My Computer but it does not indicate it being a USB - it indicates it is a CD Drive. I have also tried installing it in the other two USB ports on the left side. When MJ does work without the contacts loading, the quality is terrible, calls drop every 3-4 min and there is crackling noises, none of which I have had in 5 years of using it. I am frustrated and my wife is ready to throw the new notebook out the window. I am not convinced it is Windows 7 causing my issues but I cannot link this to anything else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack and Windows 7

dunkirkmd wrote:
I am not convinced it is Windows 7 causing my issues but I cannot link this to anything else.

Each computer and setup is obviously different. And it doesn't help you at all, but I have used MJ on a cheap ACER with Windows 7 Home Premium for over a year.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MagicJack and Windows 7

dunkirkmd wrote:
I have used MJ for 5 years now without a flaw. Two weeks ago I purchased a new HP Pavillion g6 series notebook with Windows7 Home Premium installed. I got the notebook home and downloaded Bitdefender IS 2012. Next I inserted the MJ device in the right side USB. It went through a download of the drivers and my contacts list would not load. I deinstalled and reinstalled and no such luck. I went to the MJ website to chat tech support and the MJ website is blocked on this particular notebook (I know this because I could take my old notebook, connect wirelessly and access the MJ website with no issues. So I began troubleshooting Bitdefender IS2012. I found nothing in the settings that would indicate an issue. In fact I took my old notebook that has BD IS2012 and mirrored the settings on the new notebook. I further deinstalled BD IS2012 and tried to access the MJ website without a firewall and still could not get into it. I also disabled the other firewall and no luck. I also went into Internet Options and added the MJ website as a Trusted site. Occassionally I can deinstall MJ and reinstall and my contacts list will load for an hour or two then MJ shuts down and reboots and the contacts will not reload. There are also times when reinstalling MJ I get a message that the software did not install properly. I have researched this for two weeks and downloaded upgrades that have been posted in this forum over the last 2 yrs and nothing has worked. One additional item is when it is inserted in the right side USB it will come up as Drive G in My Computer but it does not indicate it being a USB - it indicates it is a CD Drive. I have also tried installing it in the other two USB ports on the left side. When MJ does work without the contacts loading, the quality is terrible, calls drop every 3-4 min and there is crackling noises, none of which I have had in 5 years of using it. I am frustrated and my wife is ready to throw the new notebook out the window. I am not convinced it is Windows 7 causing my issues but I cannot link this to anything else. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to try a powered USB hub. Your new machine may not have as much USB power available as your old system did.
dunkirkmd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Update - tonight I disconnected the cat5 connecting the new computer to the Linksys4200 and connected to the 4200 wirelessly. Amazingly, MJ loaded perfectly, it works and I can now access the MJ website. I would think the same settings should apply regardless of whether your connected wirelessly or via cat5. Any ideas why this would make a difference ?
grgvrbl
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I agree with VaHam. New computers are being made cheaper so the willl sell, so I agree there may not be enough power going to the usb ports. Try a powered USB hub. I bet it will work.
grgvrbl
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject:

My post from earlier just now showed up on the forum. Getting to your earlier problem, that is odd that it will not work on wired connection, but is probably some setting you might come to someday. I am running windows 7 ultimate, use a magicjack that works flawlessly on a cat5 wired connection, so it is possible that it should work.

I recently got a Magicjack PLUS and wired it to work thru my router. I works Great!! Can't tell any difference between it and my frontier phone line. Cancelling my Frontier line after I get my new phone number to all my peeps.

Good Luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: