magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack, ATA and pbxes extension question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agriffiths
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Magicjack, ATA and pbxes extension question Reply with quote

Hi. I have my MJ set up as a trunk on pbxes and have my home ATA (PAP2T NA) set up as an extension on pbxes, meaning the login on the PAP2T is my username and extension number on pbxes.
All is working as it should but I'm wondering if there is a better way to set it up, meaning the reverse of how I now have it. Have all the pertinent Magicjack username and password info on the ATA and "subscribe" to the extension of pbxes. I was thinking that because I cannot add a User Agent on pbxes that its not as safe as if it was all on the ATA.
Is this preferable or even possible? If so, could you provide some advice on how to set it up?
Thanks. Great forum. Costing me lots of money on toys.
agriffiths
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does nobody know or are you just ignoring the newbie? Smile

C'mon, with some of the serious ATA knowledge i've seen in some of the threads somebody can help a brutha' out. Thanks,
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicjack, ATA and pbxes extension question Reply with quote

agriffiths wrote:
Hi. I have my MJ set up as a trunk on pbxes and have my home ATA (PAP2T NA) set up as an extension on pbxes, meaning the login on the PAP2T is my username and extension number on pbxes.
All is working as it should but I'm wondering if there is a better way to set it up, meaning the reverse of how I now have it. Have all the pertinent Magicjack username and password info on the ATA and "subscribe" to the extension of pbxes. I was thinking that because I cannot add a User Agent on pbxes that its not as safe as if it was all on the ATA.
Is this preferable or even possible? If so, could you provide some advice on how to set it up?
Thanks. Great forum. Costing me lots of money on toys.

Please help me understand why pbxes is part of this scheme? Do you have other ITSPs in addition to MJ, multiple extensions?
You will have much more control if you embed your sip creds in the Pap2T and use its functionality to tweak your connection quality.
If not needed, eliminating the hop to pbxes will save lag time and remove one possible point of failure to bother with
Need more details of your whole setup
agriffiths
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
The one and only reason I have it set up on pbxes is to allow me to remotely (mobile phone) dial in to a DID and dial out via the MJ line. The long story short is that I use the MJ telephone number as my Google Voice Number, which is not in the correct area code. So, I forward my MJ calls to my GV number, which works great. But, to dial out from cell using the MJ CID, I need to be able to dial in on another DID number and Call thru to the MJ line. I have my IPKall number set up with Gizmo on pbxes, as well, which is what I've been using successfully so far. Then, I set up the MJ as an extension on my ATA, in order to be able to dial from home office on MJ line and have the SIP only be registered one place, pbxes trunk.
So, before the pbxes setup, on my PAP2T NA, I had my RingCentral Work number set up on line 1, my MJ on Line2. I tried setting up this kind of call thru on the PAP2T (without pbxes and MJ fully registered on ATA), but either its not possible or I just didn't do enough forum searching around the net. The RC number is still on Line 1 and would work as a DID if this is possible to set up via ATA.
Any advice on a Dial Plan or any other way to make this happen on the Pap2T would be greatly appreciated.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agriffiths wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
The one and only reason I have it set up on pbxes is to allow me to remotely (mobile phone) dial in to a DID and dial out via the MJ line. The long story short is that I use the MJ telephone number as my Google Voice Number, which is not in the correct area code. So, I forward my MJ calls to my GV number, which works great. But, to dial out from cell using the MJ CID, I need to be able to dial in on another DID number and Call thru to the MJ line. I have my IPKall number set up with Gizmo on pbxes, as well, which is what I've been using successfully so far. Then, I set up the MJ as an extension on my ATA, in order to be able to dial from home office on MJ line and have the SIP only be registered one place, pbxes trunk.
So, before the pbxes setup, on my PAP2T NA, I had my RingCentral Work number set up on line 1, my MJ on Line2. I tried setting up this kind of call thru on the PAP2T (without pbxes and MJ fully registered on ATA), but either its not possible or I just didn't do enough forum searching around the net. The RC number is still on Line 1 and would work as a DID if this is possible to set up via ATA.
Any advice on a Dial Plan or any other way to make this happen on the Pap2T would be greatly appreciated.

based on the situation you described, pbxes is needed. Take a look at what DISA will do for you on pbxes. Not sure if it is available on freebie accts.

good luck

Crackerjack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: