Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack begins blocking calls to teleconference numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: MagicJack begins blocking calls to teleconference numbers

I ran a forum wide search here for TELECONFERENCE BLOCK and TELECONFERENCE BLOCKING without getting any hits, so if anyone has already covered this, well, I tried to find your post first.

For the last year I have used my MagicJack a lot to call various teleconferences. They tend to last 1 to 1 1/2 hrs, and rarely up to 2 hours. The latest success was last Tuesday. This morning that came to a crashing halt (Aug 22, 2009).

When I tried to ring in as usual, a MJ message interrupted and said that the teleconference number I was trying to reach (712-338-800, brainwave communications) was not accessible, and that I should visit FreeMagicConference.com instead. It also referred me to 305-848-8888. When I checked out that website, MJ offered me an opportunity to set up my own free teleconference number and have "my" people call into it-----which does not solve my problem of access to the other guy's teleconference which I have zero control over.

Clearly, MJ wants a piece of the teleconference incoming calls business, and has no qualms blocking MJ users from accessing any of MJ's newly identified competitors----- with no notice to MJ users, AS USUAL. Thank, MJ, for destroying another piece of that "make all the free calls you want" part of their infomercial promise.

For the moment, the best alternative for teleconferences of that length is my previous standby, PennyTalk.com, even with their 49 cent connect charge. That, plus their penny a minute rate, handles the teleconference calls very well.

FYI, guys.

Yours,
tradertx
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this is the same thing but might be worth a read

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/mj-blocking-access-to-freeconferencecall-com-pimping-alt-t7355.html

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Magicjacktechsupport
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject:

If you do not have an access code, dial 305 848 8888. You will be prompted to either "Join a Conference Call" or "Set up a Conference Call". Choose "Set up a Conference Call" and follow the prompts. You will create a password and will be given a 10 digit code to access the conference call.
Distribute the code, time of call, and dial in number (305 848 8888) to all conference call attendees. You may use the access code for any future conference calls as well.
If you already have an access code, distribute the code, time of call, and dial in number (305 848 8888) to all conference call attendees. Dial 305 848 8888 and choose "Join a Conference Call".

http://www.freemagicconference.com/
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: bitstopjoe, that's it

Yes, bitstopjoe, thank you. Your link describes the same problem I'm having, and it all appears to have hit the fan this last week. The only choice I have (since I have no control over teleconferences that other people set up) is to use some other service than MJ to access them. I think it is dirty and sleazy that MJ users are not notified in advance that this is going to happen. I only found out 5 minutes before a teleconference I've been following weekly for several years now becomes suddenly inaccessible from MJ. Had I not had PennyTalk.com as a backup, I'd have missed out on some critical announcements with heavy financial consequences.

And, even PennyTalk.com's service occasionally runs into a teleconference service it can't penetrate (rare, but it happens).

Well, now we know.......

Yours,
tradertx
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Another teleconference blocking discussion link

The discussions just keep coming---here's a whole FAQ on the mess:

http://www.freeconference.com/blockingfaq_press.aspx

BTW, the blocked teleconference that originally dragged me into this story is not a free service. It COSTS the person who sponsors and moderates it a monthly fee----so it's not just the free teleconference services being hit.

Yours,
tradertx
KingTuT
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: MJ Blocking Conferenc Calls

I checked on Google and found this in the MJ Forum, (mJ blocking access to FreeConferenceCall.com, pimping alt) people are talking, don't know how much good it will do. I chatted with someone in India this AM and didn't get any satisfaction, just that they said the same thing each time i joined the chat, MJ does not support free conference calls, please go to www. freemagicconference.com or something like that. Just another screwing once they get your money, this should be posted throughout the network so other people don't get sucked in without knowing this truth.
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't know that I would trust magicjack with a call of any importance, anyway. It is fine as a backup and for long distance calls, but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
Dbur
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: bitstopjoe, that's it

tradertx wrote:
The only choice I have (since I have no control over teleconferences that other people set up) is to use some other service than MJ to access them. I think it is dirty and sleazy that MJ users are not notified in advance that this is going to happen. I only found out 5 minutes before a teleconference ....

Yours,
tradertx

Same thing happened to me. I'm logging my complaint to MJ.

dbur

Well, it's real hard to log a complaint or anything else with MJ. I got cut off from chat.

I hope they read this because blocking access to third party conf calls is a major problem and I'll look for another service. I can't force everyone in the world to use the MJ conf service just so I am allowed to call in.

dbur
eKlipsch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: My conversation with MagicJack support about this

I felt like I was banging my head against a wall here. I have little hope of resolution:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Malik'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419075135133X
Malik: Hello, how may I help you?
mark: Hi- I'm calling into a conference call and keep getting a message about setting up a free conference call
mark: i'm dialing into an existing conference- in other words I am a participant
mark: I am not hosting the conference
Malik: Unfortunately, the conference calling from the other provider is blocked by magicjack.
Malik: You need to set-up your own conference calling using the freemagicjack conference calling.
Malik: You need to use the freemagicjack conference calling and set-up a conference call since the other conference call has been blocked.
mark: This is my company conference call line. I can't use a different conference call service. Why is magicjack blocking this? This is why I bought magicjack- in order to call into company conference calls without tying up my home line.
mark: if I can't call my company conference calls magicjack is useless to me and I need to request a refund.
Malik: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Michaela'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419075135133X
Michaela: Hello this is Michaela, good day to you.
Michaela: Please allow me to assist you and read your previous chat. Thank you.
Michaela: May I know when this issue started?
mark: today is the first time I've experienced the issue
Michaela: Yes Mark since we have new updates for conference calling.
Michaela: Please let me know all your queries regarding conference calling so that I can forward your concern to our engineers.
Michaela: Would that be okay?
mark: All my queries? I'm not sure what you're asking? I just need to be able to call into my company conference calls.
Michaela: Yes, all your suggestions or comments about the new conference calling that some numbers has been blocked.
mark: I don't know anything about the new conference calling. I just need to be able to call into my corporate conference calls using magicjack. I can't use magicjack's conference call service as I am not hosting the conference calls. I am participating in conference calls from my employer.
Michaela: Yes, I understand you Mark but that is not possible anymore.
Michaela: You need to create a conference calling room and invite them to your conference.
Michaela: That's the new update Mark.
mark: okay- i need to request a refund then. If I can't call into my company conference calls magicjack is useless for me.
Michaela: We can't refund you anymore Marl.
Michaela: Mark*
mark: So I'm stuck paying for a service I can't use because you changed the service after I payed for it? Is that what you're telling me?
Michaela: No Mark.
Michaela: That is why I want to know your queries with regard to the new conference calling.
mark: I don't have any queries about the new conference calling. What I'm telling you is I can't use magicjacks conference call service. I work for an 80,000 person company which has an extensive conference call service I must use. Magicjack has blocked my ability to use that service. If you're telling me I can no longer call into my company conference calls then magicjack is useless for me and I would like my money back. During my trial period I was able to call into my company conference calls- magicjack has since changed that and I can no longer use it for the purpose I bought it.
Michaela: We can't refund you anymore Mark.
mark: So then I'm stuck paying for a service I can't use because you changed the service after I payed for it? Does that seem right to you? If the service didn't work during my trial period I would have returned the product, but it did work then- you have since changed it so it doesn't work. That doesn't seem right to me.
Michaela: Okay.
Michaela: I will escalate this issue to our engineers Marl.
Michaela: Mark*
mark: Okay- Can they fix this issue and re-enable my ability to call into my company conference calls?
Michaela: We will try but I can't promise Mark.
mark: Are you escalating now? What do I need to do? How will I know if/when the issue is fixed?
Michaela: I need your email address and full name so that they can email you back.
mark: When should I expect to hear from them?
Michaela: Thank you.
Michaela: Please wait for an email to be sent to you as soon as possible.
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: MJ gotcha management

Dbur and eKlipsch, clearly both of you are also being smacked by the now infamous MagicJack drive-by assault management trick of no-notice-gotcha mo-money-for-us-but-less-for-you nonsense. At my peak MJ use, I was ringing into some six different teleconferences each week, ranging from 30 to 90 minutes, for which MJ was perfect.

Now I'm back to using PennyTalk.com, which has only failed to connect with a teleconference number once in the couple of years I had it. As long as the call is perhaps 30 minutes or more, the economics of 49 cents to connect plus a penny/minute work well.

I did spend a little time on MJ's newest competitor's website yesterday afternoon, tk6000.com, but I was the sole person online in their discussion forum. That's not good for a mid-afternoon weekday visit. They do have more videos on YouTube if you search on tk6000 (than on their discussion forum). Their standard deal is about $100 plus $9.95 s/h for a 3-year period, and then it reverts to a $19.95/year license. No PC needed, just their gadget (about the size of a MJ), a broadband plug-in location, and an AC power outlet. But, since they only went live in July, there's not much momentum or history of success yet. They do specify a maximum of 5,000 minutes/month in their terms of use. At least, that's a lot more straightforward than MJ's "mystery number" of "excessive use."

Yours,
tradertx
Dbur
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My conversation with MagicJack support about this

eKlipsch wrote:

mark: When should I expect to hear from them?
Michaela: Thank you.
Michaela: Please wait for an email to be sent to you as soon as possible.

Please post a follow up if you get any response. Thanks.
Magicjacktechsupport
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Hi Guys,

MJ is not going to re enable your ability to call on conference set up by another provider.

They have launched their own conference system for everyone .(Even a non magicjack user can create a conference room with them and can access from using any service provider.)

Check this link
Dbur
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Magicjacktechsupport wrote:
Hi Guys,

MJ is not going to re enable your ability to call on conference set up by another provider.

They have launched their own conference system for everyone .(Even a non magicjack user can create a conference room with them and can access from using any service provider.)

Check this link

I don't know why you think this addresses the issue. As stated above I can't make Hewlett Packard or IBM or even Joe the Plumber use your conferencing service opposed to the one they like. Bye Bye MJ.
PTravel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Magicjacktechsupport wrote:
Hi Guys,

Check this link
I'm not sure what you're missing, here. I can no more dictate to other companies (and opposing counsel) what conference service to use than you can. I will, however, take a very, very careful look at your TOS -- I don't remember anything about number blocking in it.
mykroft
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject:

that is why you pay for everything like this with a CC. Most CC companies have no problems issusing chargebacks - some times up to 90 days or more - especially if you say they are not honoring a warrant or TOS. Ask ATT, Sprint and Verizon.

Especially after a company changes the barn without noitce AFTER the horses come home.

Your also better off contacting your state AG, and FL's state AG - magicsmuck has been slapped once already - I bet the FL AG would not hesitate to do it again.....
tradertx
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: MJ not working now on a MagicJack-branded teleconference

Update: MagicJack is now either disabling (or simply unable to provide connectivity) access to at least one of their OWN teleconference services!

I needed to call in to 605-475-4261 today, with an access code of 334280148. Much to my surprise, the automated voice identified that line as a MagicJack conference service. Then it wouldn't accept the access code I was given. The guy who set up his teleconference to that phone number confirmed to me that MagicJack wouldn't work with it.

This is getting weirder and weirder.

----tradertx
prestonlewis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Rural telephone cooperatives get to charge more money for terminating calls than normal telcos. Some shady companies have figured this out and have cut deals with rural phone cooperatives. They set up a conference call number or some other "free" service and have people nationwide call the rural telephone number. The small phone cooperative charges about 5 times the normal price to distance telcos and splits the profit with the shady company.

If you ever lookup where the various conference call numbers terminate at, you'll see rural places like Iowa, Utah, etc.

It's legal but the law was never intended to benefit some company who simply sets up a conferencing service to rake in the bucks.

The government seems to be turning a blind eye to most telcos that block the conferencing numbers.

Since VOIP providers are not traditional telcos, most VOIP providers have blocked the conferencing calls to save money.

I'm not saying either side is right or wrong but that's why some VOIP providers are blocking conferencing. The termination fees they have to pay are very exorbitant.
datakeeper
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Blocked Conference Call numbers!

I am absolutely LIVID about this. How arrogant to block ANY PHONE NUMBER we want to dial. I host a national webinar through Citrix and now cannot access due to this nonsense.

Thank you for the heads up on the FL AG. That is exactly what I intend to do. Credit Card refund too.

I hope this kills MJ. They've done this to themselves.
shardman1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Teleconference still working for me

As of this morning I am still able to connect to our teleconference. However, it is an 800 number and that may have something to do with it.
[email protected]
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Blocking Free Conference Call

Embarassed Since we cannot dictate what conference call service we are invited to, the blocking of free conference call .com numbers means I cannot use Magic Jack to connect to a conference. That means I must use other means at much more money and the time to discover it just when you are due to connect to a call with a customer isn't when you dial the number.

I was a big fan of MJ...but Skype is looking much better to me now, especially for business.
Evil or Very Mad
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
....especially for business.

My original intent for buying MagicJack was for conference calls, webinars, etc. Since listening without talking seems to be one thing MJ does well, it has served it's purpose most of the time.

I've been blocked from a few calls, but most seem to go through. I think it doesn't like the free services for the reasons given above, but if I dial into GoToMeeting, I don't have any issues.

I use Skype and Sipgate for dialing out. I especially like them with the Skyjack and Xlitejack plugins. I'll pay .02/min as a back up to Google Voice and my cell phone minutes. As far as MagicJack goes, however, I'm pretty much done. (See earlier Rant)
dobrlub
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject:

I am just off the chat with 'support'. They are ignorant and arrogant. I can't believe this!

Chat 1:
Your Issue ID for this chat is xxxxxxxx
Faye: Hi customer
customer: Hi, I had difficulties today using mj for a conference call I got invited to
customer: Hi Faye
customer: When I am the organizer – I can use mj, what do I do when I am not an organizer
Faye: the conference is from a different COnference call provider?
customer: Yes, I have no control over who my customers use for conference calls
customer: And I can loose business if I can't join... I was late today because mj refused to connect to it.
Faye: magicJack reserves the right to block calls to phone numbers that abuse its services. Any service provider who is currently being blocked may interconnect with magicjack for free so our customers may complete their calls. Have your conference service provider email us at [email protected]
customer: This is becoming a big issue for mj. The internet is full of complaints
customer: I have a better idea that you can pass onto your management.
Faye: okay we are open for your feedback customer.
customer: If a service provider doesn't have any setup with you, you still need to allow people to join (not hosts)
customer: and You! (not I) work with conference providers to have them join Your! program.
customer: That sounds fair to me. I have paid mj to be able to make calls, not to be restricted.
customer: I paid with a credit card, and I will work with my credit card company to issue a chargeback.
customer: There were no restrictions during the trial period. Only after the trial period the restrictions were put in place.
Faye: okay I understand,  I have already provided you all the information needed; I would like to ask permission to end this conversation with you. Thank you.
Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.

Chat 2:
Daphne: Hi, this is Ms. Daphne. How may I help you?
customer: Hi Daphne. I know your policy about the conference calls, and I wonder if there is a way to still be able to use majic jack to dial into conferences organized by others.
customer: I was late to a conference call today as the restriction came as a 'big' surprise to me.
customer: and I had to use a different service (SKYPE)
Daphne: magicJack reserves the right to block calls to phone numbers. Any service provider who is currently being blocked may interconnect with magicjack for free so our customers may complete their calls.  Have your conference service provider email us at [email protected]
customer: That's nice... but it can be different service providers every time because I have different customers.
customer: and they all use different providers
customer: I don't have any control over what provider my future customers use... You are putting me into a very difficult situation.
Daphne: I  understand customer but this is the only way that you can use or joined other conference service.
customer: But there are many returns over this issue, I see internet buzzing about it... Would you pass my comments to your superviser please. I think this, hold on:
customer: I understand your desire to host conferences and restrictions are fine when I am hosting. But, there should be a way to participate in a conference organized by others.
customer: People may start loosing business if they can't use mj to call into conferneces organized by others.
Daphne: I am one of the Supervisor in here 'customer' and I can forward your concern to the higher department, but as of this time, we cannot do anything unless the conference you are joining contacted us to interconnect.
customer: Yes, please. If you can forward the comments it would be great.
customer: And I still can't believe you are treating your customers this way... I am shocked...
customer: Well ... bye.
dobrlub
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Majic Jack ... Major Jack Ass???
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject:

dobrlub wrote:

If I were you I would file a complaint with the FCC and write my congresspeople.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

If I were you I would file a complaint with the FCC and write my congresspeople.

You forgot to recommend them another class action law suit Laughing
Diggs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:

nailgunner wrote:
dobrlub wrote:

Been there, done that. The only thing the FCC will do is make MJ offer you a refund of your $20 That's it. Not much consolation.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Diggs wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
dobrlub wrote:

Been there, done that. The only thing the FCC will do is make MJ offer you a refund of your $20 That's it. Not much consolation.

As Cell14 noticed, quite correctly, I was being totally sarcastic.

There is no consolation to be had for unhappy MJ customers. Although a lot of them seem to get some kind of inner peace from posting their half-page chats with customer service. Whatever works.

But for anyone else, I still stand by my "peeing in the wind" advice as being more useful than official complaints.
Diggs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject:

My gripe was that some calls cannot be completed to certain rural exchanges here in WI. I really didn't expect anything but wanted to register my dissatisfaction with the FCC.

(And sorry I didn't pick up on some of the sarcasm.)
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Diggs wrote:
My gripe was that some calls cannot be completed to certain rural exchanges here in WI. I really didn't expect anything but wanted to register my dissatisfaction with the FCC.

(And sorry I didn't pick up on some of the sarcasm.)

Well at least you don't live in Alaska, since the whole state has been blocked for months.

The sarcasm was buried very deep, intended for the amusement of regular readers, which is why I was a bit surprised you missed it. Not a problen though since I'm more than happy to point it out when it's missed the first time. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: