Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
magicjack behind proxy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farolero
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: magicjack behind proxy

I am behind proxy and looking around the net I found two program that permit to make tunnel so aplication that use port that are close by proxies can connect, my freedom and proxifier.

After instalation this aplication, magicjack are conect port 80 and 443 but my freedom are showing in the log screen that:

16.234.70.8:8081 unable to connect to remote end, reason: connection refused (Connection refused)

my magicjack donīt connect to his server, every trafic port 1080, 80, 443 are ok but 8081 data packet port are refuse

what can i configure in myfreedom to permit this port??
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: magicjack behind proxy

farolero wrote:
what can i configure in myfreedom to permit this port??

You probably need to try the "Your Freedom" user support forum since you're asking how to configure that product.

Personally, I would be reluctant to use something like this. Tunneling through a firewall so that you can essentially open ports that have been blocked by the firewall should be viewed as an attempt to break the firewall. If this is your employer's firewall, I wouldn't be surprised if termination of employment isn't a possibility.

It's pretty serious because corporate networks block extranet access for a reason. For example, using SSH a user could configure port-forwarding and expose the entire intranet to the extranet. If someone uses tunneling software through the corporate HTTP proxy, they could use SSH through the tunnel and do the same thing.

It's even worse because if the corporate network allowed SSH through the firewall, at least they'd know who's using SSH, where they're connecting externally, etc. Doing it through a tunnel, the corporation has no visibility to what's happening.

That's why, even if you're not doing anything as *obviously* vulnerable as SSH, they can't verify it because you're tunneled traffic is invisible through the proxy. It's just an HTTP (or SOCKS) connection to an external HTTP (or SOCKS) server which acts as a middleman to complete the connection for your real protocol.

I've worked with security people who, if they saw this happening, would call for immediate termination.

Whenever I wanted to use VoIP behind a corporate firewall, I used Skype or Vbuzzer.com. They both have real HTTP proxy support. 1.5 to 2.0 cents per minute was a small price to pay.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: