magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack bumps and blocks all other USB devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lord_mur2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Magicjack bumps and blocks all other USB devices Reply with quote

Everytime I plug in my magicjack all my usb keys and external hard drives stop working.

If I unplug a key or HD and plug it back in it gives a device failed to install message.

Also because of this issue my key that runs readyboost gets disabled.

This happens in Vista and in Win7.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

Running Core2 duo with 2gb ram.
murphy
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have all of this stuff connected to a USB hub that doesn't have it's own power supply?
lord_mur2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murphy wrote:
Do you have all of this stuff connected to a USB hub that doesn't have it's own power supply?

No everything is plugged into the motherboard (Asus P5N-E SLI) it has powered usb ports on the back.

This happens on all 3 computers in the house ranging from P4 1.8 to this core 2 duo.
MagicJacked
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you MJ is bad and using too much power or just shorting out the 5 volt line.

Try using a powered hub.

Can you measure the voltage? If so, does it drom when the MJ is connected?
lord_mur2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicJacked wrote:
I bet you MJ is bad and using too much power or just shorting out the 5 volt line.

Try using a powered hub.

Can you measure the voltage? If so, does it drom when the MJ is connected?

I don't have a way to measure the usb voltage but I watch the on screen asus probe measurements for general voltage and don't see any magor drops in the 12v total.

Also the magicjack itself works perfect, in fact in the last 4 months it seems to work better then when I got it, like updates helped it allot as it is always clear and as good as the land line.

Just this issue of kicking all my usb devices out.

I always use readyboost so I need that 8gb94gb rb and 4gb storage) key and I have a 160gb drive plugged in too.(they disappear as soon as the MJ goes in)
lord_mur2002
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check to see if you can isolate your magicjack on one controller/hub. i had a similiar problem. when magicjack was plugged into the front USB and my wireless usb controller was also plugged into the front, the wireless would disconnect every minute of so. To fix, i plugged the magicjack into the back and the wireless adapter into the front. this was on an old soyo board. you can see if the usb ports are on the same controller in device manager, show devices by connection. this was an old soyo dragon running xp pro 32 bit.
both my gigabyte boards can run readiboost and magicjack at the same time, as long as i do the same, run the magicjack on the front and run everything else on the back. one is a dual running xp pro 64, the other is a quad running vista ultimate 64. the other usb things still work, both are running a wireless keyboard, as well as a 2.5 drive, (a make it yourself from an old drive in a laptop (which is drawing power from the USB port). both have 4 gb sandisk (Vista is using readiboost). lots of other thing connected but none draw power (i.e. CH Yoke, Pedals, sometimes a CH Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle), also a printer-scanner which is ususally turned off. so you might just be drawing too much power from the controller which has those hubs. the xp64 (the dual box) is also dual boot, running Vista Ultimate 32 as well as xp64 and when that side is booted, i am running readiboost off the sandisk 4 gb with magicjack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: