Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magicjack causing slower internet connection speed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandrew
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Magicjack causing slower internet connection speed?

We started using MJ about two months ago. I've noticed in the past week or so that our internet connection speed (DSL) has slowed way down. Anyone know if this could be due to MJ with its spyware, etc.? If so, any way to fix it?

Incidentally, we do have spyware software (SpyBot) and everytime we've tried to run it in the past week, it freezes up about 1/4 of the way through.

Thanks.
gary
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject:

I doubt it very much the MJ is causing your problem. All the rumour about MJ and spyware are just that, rumours!

Try the following speed test with the MJ plugged in and without it.

http://www.inphonex.com/speedtest/test-your-voip.php

I would personally use Microsoft Defender instead of Spybot
strndedinalska

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like either low virtual memory, processor, or something software related. Also, if you have a marginal connection, Magic Jack may slow down your connection because you don't have much bandwidth to work with in the first place. That's the pitfall of some of the older and smaller machines.
HendersonMike

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject:

When was the last time you ran defrag on your drives, if ever?
When was the last time you ran chkdsk on your drives, if ever?
MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE MAINTENANCE
goitalone
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I would personally use Microsoft Defender instead of Spybot

Sorry if this is off topic, but just because it was mentioned here:

Windows Defender only searches for a handful of malware, other than that it's pretty much crap. Spybot blocks websites in your HOSTS file and that is the main reason I use it. Even Spybot isn't that great for detecting/correcting malware infections.

It's hard to find a good spyware software that works that actually detects and removes these days. Spybot just doesn't cut it anymore like it once did and even when it did cut it, it was never that great at what it was suppose to do.

As for antivirus solutions, I usually go with what I personally feel is best at the moment, for example, I had up (until recently) been running Spybot Search and Destroy/Avast Antivirus/AVG Antispyware because that was what felt the best setup at the time.

I would usually only occasionally install AVG Antispyware to check and clean and then uninstall right after, due to the dramatic slowing boot times etc, as well as it is not really that great to have too many programs like that on simutaneously in case of conflicts etc.

Anyways, I was checking for AVG Antispyware recently (after getting a pretty nasty virus/malware from clicking on something knew was probably not good) and I found that it was discontinued as a separate download, and that they had actually combined it with AVG Antivirus.

Ok, to bring this long story to an end, I thought I would give AVG a try again (hated it before they changed it) because neither Spybot, Avast nor Panda Antivirus was seeing and/or getting rid of the virues I had. So I uninstalled Avast and gave AVG a try again and I found they had vastly improved many features and the way it catches viruses and it actually got rid of viruses I had, where as the others could/did not. Oh, and it has a new site search thing with a toolbar which is neat kinda neat but slows your connection down quit a bit...I usually turn it off in Tools>Manage Add-ons until I want to check a site I am unsure about. The yahoo tool bar it installs though I can't stand and just disable it in View>Toolbars>Avg Security Toolbar

Just thought I would ramble on a bit to share with others of my victory over one of the worst viruses I have ever had in hopes that it may help someone else in the future.

Thanks for reading my ramble, and I once again apologize for the "off topic"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: