magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack Contacts Not Downloading After Windows 10 Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzwood
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Contacts Not Downloading After Windows 10 Update Reply with quote

My Magicjack is one of the original Silver Box ones. I noticed that this Magicjack is not supported for Windows 10. However when I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Laptop to the initial Windows 10, everything was fine. Even worked fine through additional Windows updates. But, after the latest Anniversary Update for Windows 10, I have been unable to get my Contact List to Download. On the Menu button the Add Contacts Selection is greyed out. I have tried the update.exe for Magicjack, I have tried different USB Ports, and I have removed and inserted it several times. I have even restarted the Computer with the Magicjack plugged in. I thought it might have something to do with the Windows Firewall, but it is set to allow Magicjack.exe through. My Magicjack can still make calls, receive calls, and even put missed calls into my email program, but I do miss my contact list. I was hoping someone might know where to look from here.
shivaya
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicjack Contacts Not Downloading After Windows 10 Upda Reply with quote

buzzwood wrote:
My Magicjack is one of the original Silver Box ones. I noticed that this Magicjack is not supported for Windows 10. However when I upgraded my Windows 8.1 Laptop to the initial Windows 10, everything was fine. Even worked fine through additional Windows updates. But, after the latest Anniversary Update for Windows 10, I have been unable to get my Contact List to Download. On the Menu button the Add Contacts Selection is greyed out. I have tried the update.exe for Magicjack, I have tried different USB Ports, and I have removed and inserted it several times. I have even restarted the Computer with the Magicjack plugged in. I thought it might have something to do with the Windows Firewall, but it is set to allow Magicjack.exe through. My Magicjack can still make calls, receive calls, and even put missed calls into my email program, but I do miss my contact list. I was hoping someone might know where to look from here.

I am having the same problem....I even rolled back to win 8.1 and my contacts came back...disappeared again after reinstalling the Anniversary Update for win 10....hopefully there will be a patch sometime soon. Sad
buzzwood
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Contacts Reply with quote

From what I have learned since my initial posting, there are some unsupported processes that Magicjack needs to download our contacts and recent calls. Microsoft did not include those needed items in the Anniversary update. Using the compatibility settings doesn't work because the Magicjack software is in the Magicjack device. I was advised on the Microsoft Windows Website that the workaround is to set up a dual boot Windows system. Say with Windows 10 and Windows 8. You would boot into Windows 8 when you use your Magicjack. This is probably beyond my computer skills. The other solution is to wait for Magicjack and Microsoft to work together and issue a solution. However, I'm not sure the number of people affected will make that a priority. At least I can still make calls and receive them.
retiredfpl
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicjack Contacts Reply with quote

[quote="buzzwood"]From what I have learned since my initial posting, there are some unsupported processes that Magicjack needs to download our contacts and recent calls. Microsoft did not include those needed items in the Anniversary update. Using the compatibility settings doesn't work because the Magicjack software is in the Magicjack device. I was advised on the Microsoft Windows Website that the workaround is to set up a dual boot Windows system. Say with Windows 10 and Windows 8. You would boot into Windows 8 when you use your Magicjack. This is probably beyond my computer skills. The other solution is to wait for Magicjack and Microsoft to work together and issue a solution. However, I'm not sure the number of people affected will make that a priority. At least I can still make calls and receive them.[/quote]

Check out this site: http://mjcheck.low.li/2015/08/firmware-for-magicjack-not-yet-available-for-windows-10/
DragonSlacker
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: LiveChat Fix Reply with quote

We have two devices, purchased within the past 6 mo. Live Chat had us do the following:

1) Right Click on the Window icon (bottom left side of screen)
2) Click Run
3) Open INETCPL.CPL
4) Advanced Tab
5) Check the box for SSL 3.0
6) Apply, OK
7) Restart MagicJack Device

It worked for us for both our devices; we can now see our Contacts and Calls Log, the options within the Contacts tab are no longer grayed out.

YMMV.

Best,
Dragon
modchipx
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: LiveChat Fix Reply with quote

DragonSlacker wrote:
We have two devices, purchased within the past 6 mo. Live Chat had us do the following:

2) Click Run
3) Open INETCPL.CPL
4) Advanced Tab
6) Apply, OK

It worked for us for both our devices; we can now see our Contacts and Calls Log, the options within the Contacts tab are no longer grayed out.

YMMV.

Best,
Dragon

Nice thanks..
buzzwood
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Big Thank You Reply with quote

IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU! I spent an hour with Live Chat and even ended up with a supervisor, and all I got was a Magicjack that didn't work at all. You must have got a tech that actually knew something. I got my Magicjack working again and was just going to live with the "no contacts" thing. Thanks Again for passing your solution along. I hope you don't mind if I pass it along to the Microsoft Windows 10 Forum where some others were having the same problem. I will give you the credit of course.

Thank You Again
Buzzwood
RIC2AF
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Success after Windows 10 Anniversary Update Reply with quote

I want to quote your entire solution, because I hope it will be seen by the most number of people. *Thank you!* for your solution.

I had been using my MJ+ with Windows 10 with no troubles, until its annual update this past week. I was online with tech support for around 2 hours (and continually being transferred to higher and higher levels of support). At the end I was given an apology, and "we're working on it".

I found your solution this morning, made those changes, and everything is working nicely.

I've become so accustomed to Windows that I'd forgotten how to go into the program and tweak.

Respectfully,

RIC2AF

DragonSlacker wrote:

2) Click Run
3) Open INETCPL.CPL
4) Advanced Tab
6) Apply, OK

YMMV.

Best,
Dragon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: