Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack desktop icon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peabody
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: MagicJack desktop icon

Everytime I turn my freaking computer on, MagicJack adds an icon to my desktop. I keep deleting the freaking thing and it keeps putting it back. I HAVE NO ICONS ON MY DESKTOP. Can they PLEASE stop putting their stupid shortcut on my desktop?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject:

IF you delete OR rename the icon then everytime you reboot it will either add another icon or replece the one you deleted.
Either run MJ as a service or dont use the CD loader ( you bypass a lifetime of saving splash screen) and I think it actually loads faster.
Here is how : This NOT mine, I saw it on here, saved it and it worked for me!

NO SPLASH
Install Startup Control Panel then run the application.
You can find the link in the control panel, it will be called Startup.
I had to switch to classic view to find it.

After starting the program click on the HKCU / Run tab.
You need to uncheck cdloader which is what normally starts magicjack.
Next click on the HKLM / Run tab.
Right click anywhere in the box and select "New".
On the line for Program name you can type what you like.
I typed "Magicjack Quick Start" on mine.
On the line for the programs pathcut and paste the following:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "I:\magicJack"

Use everything including the quotes.
My magicjack's drive was letter I. If yours is different then change the "I" in the path to what ever your drive letter is.
If you don't know which drive is correct drive, right click on the drive and click explore. It will be the drive with the file that is named "do not use this drive". Then click OK.
Make sure you have a check in the box in front of the key you just created then click the "x" on the top right corner to close the program.

THATS IT!!!!!!
Reboot and see if it works for you.....
I'm using Windows XP. If you are using Vista then I believe the path will be slightly different. Do a search in the forum and you will find the correct path.
Enjoy the quicker startup.
I'm not sure but I believe this also keeps magic jack from rewriting the files on every startup....

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
IF you delete OR rename the icon then everytime you reboot it will either add another icon or replece the one you deleted.
Either run MJ as a service or dont use the CD loader ( you bypass a lifetime of saving splash screen) and I think it actually loads faster.
Here is how : This NOT mine, I saw it on here, saved it and it worked for me!

NO SPLASH
Install Startup Control Panel then run the application.
You can find the link in the control panel, it will be called Startup.
I had to switch to classic view to find it.
Enjoy the quicker startup.
I'm not sure but I believe this also keeps magic jack from rewriting the files on every startup....

Joe Sica

Joe, your reference to a previous hack caught my attention. Thanks for posting it!

I'm on a TC running XRe sp2. Is the "Startup Control Panel" something that needs to be installed? I am not finding it in the Control Panel on my installation. Background - I bought this TC "MagicJack Ready" and am wondering if the "Startup Control Panel" was removed to conserve space?

TIA for any assistance!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject:

Yes startup control panel is a 3rd party add on. I have been using it for many years and love it. Never a problem with it. It is version 2.8 and has been at that version for a LONG time. Why mess with perfection I guess Smile
Here is the link:

http://www.mlin.net/

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Yes Startup Control Panel is a 3rd party add on. I have been using it for many years and love it. Never a problem with it. It is version 2.8 and has been at that version for a LONG time. Why mess with perfection I guess Smile
Here is the link:

http://www.mlin.net/

Joe Sica

Many thanks to you Bitstopjoe for mentioning this add-on. And thanks to the original poster as well! I dloaded and installed the app on the TC after your post. You are right, works like a charm. This app also saves me time not having to waiting for the splash screen to cycle through.

I will be stopping by Mr. Lin's tip jar next week.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject:

You are very welcome and glad to be of help.
Another good thing about not having the icon is if you are away from the PC and MJ forces an update, you will see the icon, which wasn't there before Smile Exactly what happened to me on 8/1. I saw the icon and knew I had gotten an update. BY THE WAY after an update you need to uncheck CD loader again in Startup Control Panel as MJ puts it back, as well as the icon on the sceeen.
And yes without the splash screen a tad faster to boot up!!

Joe Sica
sgreen0
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks for this info. I downloaded and installed the Startup Control Panel.

After following the instructions above, MagicJack insisted on starting with the splash screen anyway. It seems MJ re-enabled the cdloader...

I tried several times.

Any ideas?

Stephen
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject:

Double check everything as I know this works for me and many others.. You must have missed a step or a typo someplace?

Joe Sica
KMNugent52
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject:

Peabody, Assumng that you're using Windows... Right click the Desktop > View > Show Desktop Icons. Uncheck it. -Kevin N.
sgreen0
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe,

Thanks for your reply. I figured it out.

Apparently, MagicJack installed itself in:

"C:\Documents and Settings\*MY NAME*\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe"

I had to edit the suggested line accordingly. Then it worked.

Is that common?

Stephen
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject:

Yes sir that's exactly where it goes.

Glad you figured it out. I knew it was a simple reason you could not get it to work. Good job!!

Joe Sica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: