Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
magicJack Device Damaged?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bartholomew Diogenes
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: magicJack Device Damaged?

It might be damaged from bending where it plugs into the laptop. If it no longer rings when I get a call, wouldn't that mean damage? Would I have to get a new one if it's been more than a year since purchase? Worst of all, I've been missing calls, i.e., messages from folks who are unable to leave any when the laptop is turned off for the night. It upsets me that days go by before I even know anything is wrong. Only serious answers please; I'm not well, and having to do without phone service is brutal.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject:

A MagicJack device that's plugged into a computer's USB port will cease to function when the computer's cpu is in sleep or hibernation mode (or turned off altogether). THUS, if you have an answering machine connected to such a USB-connected MagicJack it will be unable to take any messages. HOWEVER - when such a USB-connected MagicJack is thusly non-functional, callers ARE able to leave a message on your MAGICJACK voicemail. SO - You should go into your MagicJack account online and make sure that your MJ number's voicemail settings are as you would like them to be. REMEMBER - MJ Voicemail now allows you to turn off MJ voicemail, and to set the length of the "ringing" before callers will be sent to your MJ voicemail box. While you're at it, check ALL of your MJ account settings and make sure they're all as you want them to be - when MJ last updated its user-selectable features, many accounts were inadvertently left with a non-functioning voicemailbox (easily corrected with the assistance of any "live chat customer service" staffer - when this happened to me, they "reset" my MJ phone number's "link" to their VM system and then had me power my MJ down and then reconnect it to fully restore my MJ Voicemail service).

As far as it not ringing when you receive a call goes: Beyond what I described above, it depends on whether you're just using the MJ "softphone" program on your pc to place and receive calls or if you are instead using a telephone connected to your MJ device. Regardless, if you definitively confirm that the MJ device has become physically damaged you'll have to go online to request that a replacement device be sent to you (last I heard they were charging either about $10 or full price, depending on the age of the broken device)... when you receive it and plug it into your pc for activation just "tell" it to be linked to your pre-existing MJ phone number when it prompts you to do so).
Bartholomew Diogenes
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject:

SteveHC, thank you for replying. The device does still ring, but it has become hypersensitive to being touched and will often disconnect a call if I touch it and sometimes if I move the laptop it will interrupt my service and then reboot itself. Not normal. I still have voicemail since the last update, a green one about a month ago, but when I tried to check voicemail from outside on May 29 I couldn't get it to respond to the * key. Voicemails go to my e-mail account and I don't have an answering machine but do a telephone, one that itself has had problems in last few days, maybe due to the heat. I don't yet know for sure I've missed multiple calls.
scotty200

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject:

hi my be it the computer USB port that not working good try it on a other to see if the same thing happens my i suggest getting the mj plus then u can use with out the computer and u can transfer your number to it for free use have to use the same info that on the old one you have

hope this help have a good one
Bartholomew Diogenes
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject:

^I've always had it plugged into that port; it isn't practical to switch for long. More likely the dongle plug has been damaged.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject:

If the MJ turns off/reboots when you physically fiddle with it while connected then of course it's possible that it's become physically defective, and/or your pc's USB jack has become defective. It's also possible (albeit unlikely) that the relevant metal USB contacts in the MJ and/or pc USB jack need to be cleaned up a bit (dirt, dust and/or even just oxidation of the metal contacts on USB - and Ethernet - connections can adversely affect consistent and reliable conduction - just like battery contacts only less quickly). So I suggest trying to GENTLY and VERY CAREFULLY clean the contacts, and if you can also make sure that its metal USB contacts haven't become bent down too much so that they no longer make good consistent contact with their corresponding contacts in the pc's USB jack. - If these help, great! Otherwise, my bet's on defective hardware. (Also, If other USB-powered devices work perfectly and consistently when plugged into the same USB port that you normally have the MJ plugged into, and if cleaning the contacts etc. doesn't help, then it's pretty safe to assume that the MJ has developed a cracked solder point or some other type of hardware defect.)
Bartholomew Diogenes
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject:

SteveHC, I don't fiddle with the device as such; the problem has occurred when I move the laptop or touch the dongle, perhaps to straighten it if it momentarily looks crooked. I never plug anything else into that port so that won't apply as a test. I would think it might be a cracked solder point, and if so, can it be fixed or will I need a new device? I have tried to be careful with it, but it does appear vulnerable. I'll look at the contacts when I turn off the laptop for the night.
scotty200

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject:

a cracked solder point can be fixed but you wold have to have tech nohow to fix it your self .to bring it to get fixed wold cost more then it wold to get a new one if you would try to straiten it wold just make it not work at all may be just get the plus wold save u from all the trouble and no computer needed after reg

have a good one
black_icon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject:

@ Bartholomew Diogenes,

Its either you ask for a replacement MJ device or order the New MJ Plus version. Goodluck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: