Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
magicJack "disks" empty but MJ works fine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: magicJack "disks" empty but MJ works fine

Greetings all,

Having reviewed this forum for a couple hours, I've seen that the topic I'm raising now has been discussed before, but perhaps it will be helpful to discuss it again since MJ has recently updated its software.

Here's the issue (which presents on both my VistaUltimate/SP2 desktop and my XP/SP3 desktop): when I first insert my MJ device – or, if it's already inserted prior to booting – before the MJ software loads I can see two disks in the Explorer window (in addition to my drives C thru F, which present correctly). The MJ drives are:

CD Drive (G:) magicJack
magicJack (H:)

Both of those drives show a magicJack icon in the Explorer window.

If I quickly inspect the contents of those drives here's what I see:

CD Drive (G:) magicJack contains
autorun.exe (with a magicJack icon)
autorun.ico (with a magicJack icon)
autorun.inf (with a system file icon)
autorunu.exe (with a magicJack icon)

magicJack (H:) contains
magicJack (which is a hidden folder)
autorun.inf (with a system file icon)
DONT USE THIS DRIVE (with a generic icon)

The reason I say “if I quickly inspect” is that I must inspect those drives before MJ loads because, once it loads, the names of the two drives turn into this:

CD Drive (G:)
Removable Disk (H:)

Both of these drives lose their MJ icons and now have generic system icons (one for a CD drive and the other for a harddrive, respectively).

If I try to inspect the contents of those drives I get the familiar dialog “Please insert a disk into CD Drive (G:)” and “Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (H:)” which means the contents of neither of those drives can be inspected nor can either drive be formatted.

First let me say magicJack is working fine. I've had it for a few weeks and it's been pretty good. Not perfect but acceptable.

Second, the process of the magicJack disks converting to "empty" after magicJack launches was not the case when I first installed MJ. I think – but I'm not sure – that that only started happening after the most recent update.

Third, the reason this is an issue for me at all is twofold – one, even though MJ is working fine I'm curious as to what's going on and, two, if I ever do have to format an MJ disk to fix some other problem (eg, if I get the “Error: Broken Storage” message I'm supposed to format one of the disks and then let the MJ dongle reinstall software) then I won't be able to do so since the “Format” option is not available if the drive reports there is no disk inserted.

Anyone know the answer? Why do the MJ disks mount normally in Explorer before the MJ software loads then convert to generic “empty” drives after the MJ software loads?

Is this a problem?

Thanks,
Mike McCarthy
neo2121
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:

sounds like the drives were not unmounted correctly at some point or that they where formatted. If the soft phone works correctly you could try running magicfix. Or you could use diskpart to format the stubborn drives then run an update to get it to fix the issue, hope that helps.
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject:

neo2121 wrote:
sounds like the drives were not unmounted correctly at some point or that they where formatted. If the soft phone works correctly you could try running magicfix. Or you could use diskpart to format the stubborn drives then run an update to get it to fix the issue, hope that helps.

The drives were never formatted by me; I'm sure of that.

Not unmounted correctly? Maybe. As it is now the drives cannot be unmounted at all, correctly or incorrectly. If I try to use the "safely remove hardware" procedure the result is a dialog saying the CD drive is in use and cannot be unmounted.

If I try to run magicfix from the "advanced' sub-menu in the magicJack application I am taken to a website (http://www.magicjack.com/9/customercare.asp) where I'm invited to sign up for magicJack, and that seems wrong, too. What exactly is magicfix supposed to do?

Also, if I disable magicJack from starting (via Vista's Startup manager Control panel) then the two magicJack drives remain mounted and accessible and seem OK. Then, when I start magicJack the disks immediately unmount and are therefore inaccessibly when the magicJack application is running. It almost seems to me like that's the way they are supposed to work? They are mounted when not in use and then unmounted (and protected) when magicJack is working?

Or, are those two disks ALWAYS supposed to be mounted?

Thanks.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject:

After the last update what you are seeing is now "normal". I too never had to format my MJ dongle because of ALWAYS using safely remove hardware.
I posted this on another topic on how we have to do it now. I can ONLY guess then why they are doing it now prevents any garbage being writen to the dongle if one just pulls it out. They probably got tired of all the people who did just that messing up their dongle and tech support telling them they had to format the drive. Just like they now keep our contacts on their server because of the people who did format and lost all their contacts.
Use this to safely remove as I still cant bring myself to just power off, reboot or just pull it out.
I just saw this on another web page which makes removing the MJ hardware safely much easier after the update. :
Create a new shortcut. When it comes up and says type in the location, paste the following w/o quotes:
" %windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe "
Hit NEXT.
It will call it killtask.exe, or something like that. I renamed it to " MJ Kill ". You can name it to your preference.

Now, I shrink the MJ window, double-click the MJ Kill shortcut, and then use the little green arrow to safely eject the hardware as before.

Great find! Works in XP SP3.

Certainly beats my racing around over the screen. Better yet, it works!!

This was posted on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23885186-LUCKY-YOU-Update~start=20

Works like a charm..

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
After the last update what you are seeing is now "normal". I too never had to format my MJ dongle because of ALWAYS using safely remove hardware.
I posted this on another topic on how we have to do it now. I can ONLY guess then why they are doing it now prevents any garbage being writen to the dongle if one just pulls it out. They probably got tired of all the people who did just that messing up their dongle and tech support telling them they had to format the drive. Just like they now keep our contacts on their server because of the people who did format and lost all their contacts.
Use this to safely remove as I still cant bring myself to just power off, reboot or just pull it out.
I just saw this on another web page which makes removing the MJ hardware safely much easier after the update. :
Create a new shortcut. When it comes up and says type in the location, paste the following w/o quotes:
" %windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe "
Hit NEXT.
It will call it killtask.exe, or something like that. I renamed it to " MJ Kill ". You can name it to your preference.

Now, I shrink the MJ window, double-click the MJ Kill shortcut, and then use the little green arrow to safely eject the hardware as before.

Great find! Works in XP SP3.

Certainly beats my racing around over the screen. Better yet, it works!!

This was posted on http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23885186-LUCKY-YOU-Update~start=20

Works like a charm..

Joe Sica

Aha.....the new normal. I believe that is correct. Now that I have learned to control when the MJ app runs (by disabling it from running at startup, running it manually, and killing it with the kiilltask.exe shortcut) I am confident the two MJ disks are OK and simply auto-dismount when the MJ app starts.

So, preventing the app from starting then allows me access to the disks if necessary.

Thanks guys for the help.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject:

I guess I am anal, but after all that I STILL click on safely remove hardware. I have done that for so long I still feel better still doing it Smile
But it is probably overkill at this point.

Joe Sica
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Also, if anyone finds they can't create a desktop shortcut by right-clicking (as happened to me), I found the fix:

http://www.troublefixers.com/new-shortcut-wizard-does-not-start-or-option-missing-in-windows-vista/

Although I was nervous about running a file that changed the Registry from a site that could be bogus, I took a chance and it worked. Right-clicking on the desktop now properly opens a Create Shortcut Wizard just like it should.

Now, if that nifty little fix also installs spyware or a virus or otherwise messes things up, I promise to post a mea culpa, but the file is only 4K so my guess is it only does what it says it does: fix the right-click problem
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I am the same way but I ALWAYS make an image of my system first before trying ANY new file or installing a new program as it makes life SO much easier to go back to as it was never there..

Joe Sica
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Yeah I am the same way but I ALWAYS make an image of my system first before trying ANY new file or installing a new program as it makes life SO much easier to go back to as it was never there..

Joe Sica

I'm pretty disciplined about having backups (I use Acronis True Image to clone bootable backups) and my most recent backup is only about six days old so I took a chance. But, yeah, it's good practice.

I helped set up a friend's laptop and she used it almost a year it failed to start properly and I just could not fix it. I ended up doing a clean install and then manually recovered all her apps and data. It took me three days to get probably 90% of it. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't just clone it for her all along. A back up drive is fifty bucks....... bad decision on my part. I should have clone her system just like I clone my own.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject:

I use Acronis as well. I have 1 image go to my external drive, later in the day another one goes to an internal dirve and once a month I do one to a DVD.
Has saved my ass more times than I care to remember..
Can NEVER be to careful or have enough backups!!
HELL of a lot easier than what you had to do with her laptop. I once had someone install an AV program while having another one installed and resident. Locked up the PC bad. I had to start in safe mode and then enter the reg and then manually find every entry of the new AV program. PITA. Having an image they would have been up in less than 10 min.

Joe Sica
bobbie969
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject:

So I've had MJ for a week and this forum has really helped me work out the kinks. However, I have not been able to format the drives. I have Windows XP SP3 & when I try to create a shortcut and enter "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe" for the location I get an error message that says "The file %windir%\System32\taskkill.exe cannot be found". Any suggestions? Thanks
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:

bobbie969 wrote:
So I've had MJ for a week and this forum has really helped me work out the kinks. However, I have not been able to format the drives. I have Windows XP SP3 & when I try to create a shortcut and enter "%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe" for the location I get an error message that says "The file %windir%\System32\taskkill.exe cannot be found". Any suggestions? Thanks

Why do you want to format?

Are you trying to format after the app starts? If so, the app unmounts the drive and the format wouldn't work anyway.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject:

bobbie969 wrote:

If you are using anything but XP Pro then taskkill is not there.
The link I provided earlier in this topic explains a work around just for that. I believe it is near the end of that post.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23885186-LUCKY-YOU-Update~start=20

Joe Sica
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
bobbie969 wrote:

If you are using anything but XP Pro then taskkill is not there.
The link I provided earlier in this topic explains a work around just for that. I believe it is near the end of that post.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23885186-LUCKY-YOU-Update~start=20

Joe Sica

eh? taskill works for me in Vista Ultimate
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Thats why I said XP ( not Vista or 7) since Bobbie969 said he was using XP. Anything but PRO in XP ( not home, etc).

Joe Sica
bobbie969
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, I read the part in your post that said "Great find! Works in XP SP3" and tried it, I didn't go to the link. I'll do that now.
tsmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Works great! Thanks Joe!
Intimmy98
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject:

Joe;

Thanks for your time digging into this pesky new issue with dismounting the MJ as this does the trick!
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject:

Very welcome....

Joe Sica
Alpman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject:

Just a tip for those with XP Home and XPe...

You can copy taskkill.exe from an XP Pro or MCE machine or install disc into your System32 folder and it will work just fine.

For Vista and Win7 users...

Taskkill.exe is already in the System32 folder, you just have to be sure the path is correct. I just tried it on my Vista machine (the one I'm currently typing on) and it worked just fine. The path is the exactly same as XP, just be sure copy/paste without the quotes, like this:

%windir%\System32\taskkill.exe /F /IM magicJack.exe

Win7 should also work the same way but I have not confirmed it...anyone???

EDIT - I just tried Win7. Taskkill works but the drive(s) are still not removable. The flash drive is not even visible, no drive letter. Hey, at least Vista works though.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:

Chances are doing a remove is a moot point now. BUT I still do it Smile
It has served me well for close to 2 yrs now of a trouble free dongle, MJ's not mine Smile

Joe Sica
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject:

Ok, I am going to jump in on the discussion here. The problem I seem to be encountering, is that the Magicjack is no longer showing up in any of my defrag programs to defrag it. This started about 2 or so weeks ago I think. It seems to still be working fine, but, I have noticed my system starting to run slower and slower as the days are going by. Especially when I am running my cleaners. They seem to be taking alot longer to run. So I have paid attention to what files they are trying to clean at the time they are running so slow, and followed the path to that file. From what I can tell, it has to do with the magicjack files.

Has something to do with the history. I currently run ATF Cleaner and CCleaner, and both of those programs seem to really hang for a while before completing. Thats how I was able to get the path that I needed to check these files. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. The path was C:\User\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Low\History.IE5\index.dat

I had a feeling it may have been because the Magicjack updated again, and thats what might be causing this problem. But can you tell me now why it is not showing up in any of my disk defrag programs like it did before. It just seems like since the magicjack has disappeared from my defrag programs, the system has just progressively started to run a little slower. Trust me, I have run all my anti-virus and anti-spyware/malware programs, and its nothing like that. Once I followed that path as stated above, I then realized it was indeed the magicjack causing it.

Also, I guess I have not been careful enough when removing my magicjack and plugging it back in to reset it. Now having read this thread. I did not use the "safely remove hardware" thing. I just pulled it out and plugged it back in after letting it disconnected for a few minutes. So this may have been a self-inflicted problem. Which leads me to my next question. At this point, should I format the magicjack? And if so, this is where I tie into the thread to begin with. How exactly do I format it, when it is not showing up like it use to?
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Ok, I am going to jump in on the discussion here. The problem I seem to be encountering, is that the Magicjack is no longer showing up in any of my defrag programs to defrag it. This started about 2 or so weeks ago I think. It seems to still be working fine, but, I have noticed my system starting to run slower and slower as the days are going by. Especially when I am running my cleaners. They seem to be taking alot longer to run. So I have paid attention to what files they are trying to clean at the time they are running so slow, and followed the path to that file. From what I can tell, it has to do with the magicjack files.

Has something to do with the history. I currently run ATF Cleaner and CCleaner, and both of those programs seem to really hang for a while before completing. Thats how I was able to get the path that I needed to check these files. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. The path was C:\User\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Low\History.IE5\index.dat

I had a feeling it may have been because the Magicjack updated again, and thats what might be causing this problem. But can you tell me now why it is not showing up in any of my disk defrag programs like it did before. It just seems like since the magicjack has disappeared from my defrag programs, the system has just progressively started to run a little slower. Trust me, I have run all my anti-virus and anti-spyware/malware programs, and its nothing like that. Once I followed that path as stated above, I then realized it was indeed the magicjack causing it.

Also, I guess I have not been careful enough when removing my magicjack and plugging it back in to reset it. Now having read this thread. I did not use the "safely remove hardware" thing. I just pulled it out and plugged it back in after letting it disconnected for a few minutes. So this may have been a self-inflicted problem. Which leads me to my next question. At this point, should I format the magicjack? And if so, this is where I tie into the thread to begin with. How exactly do I format it, when it is not showing up like it use to?

Read the thread again. The lesson learned is -- after the latest update -- MJ software now unmounts the disks when MJ is running. That prevents the user from messing with the disks contents, and also prevents your defrag software from finding the disks.

Whether or not it's safe to disconnect your MJ dongle when the disks are dismounted is debatable......better safe than sorry is one approach.

Also, if you want to see your disks (ie, before they are dismounted during MJ startup) you can prevent MJ startup in various ways, depending on your OS. Check this thread for the particulars (ie, whether you can use a native Vista/7 control panel or whether to use a 3rd party startup manager control panel in XP).
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks for getting back so quick Mike! I am still not sure what to do about this problem I am having. I don't whether I should format the MJ or not. I certainly don't want to let it get worse, seeing as how like I said, the system is progressively running slower.

I was blaming my children at first. Thinking that they were on that computer and did something, but my son was quick to say, "See, it wasn't me mom!" I just want to be able to see my MJ in my defrag programs again and be able to defrag it. That might not make that big of a difference, but then again it may. Because like I said before, after the MJ disappeared from those programs and I was not able to defrag the MJ, thats when I noticed things beginning to slow down.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject:

Unless the next MJ "lucky you" update changes it back to the way it was before you will NOT be able to format or defrag your drives anymore( without jumping through hoops), exactly for the reasons Mike gave..

Joe Sica
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Thanks for getting back so quick Mike! I am still not sure what to do about this problem I am having. I don't whether I should format the MJ or not. I certainly don't want to let it get worse, seeing as how like I said, the system is progressively running slower.

I was blaming my children at first. Thinking that they were on that computer and did something, but my son was quick to say, "See, it wasn't me mom!" I just want to be able to see my MJ in my defrag programs again and be able to defrag it. That might not make that big of a difference, but then again it may. Because like I said before, after the MJ disappeared from those programs and I was not able to defrag the MJ, thats when I noticed things beginning to slow down.

I don't think defragging will help, but it won't hurt either. If you want to defrag you must first stop MJ from running (and thereby stopping MJ from dismounting the MJ disks).

To do that, use either the Vista/7 Control Panel (Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools, and then click on Manage Startup Programs) or use this -- http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml -- if you have XP.

The point is to stop MJ from running and thereby leave the disks mounted so you can inspect/defrag them.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject:

You are correct as it is a GREAT free program, Mike Lin's startup control panel. Been using it for many years.

Joe Sica
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject:

Well I would like to defrag the MJ, because I am now concerned about this "History" whatever it may be, just building up in those files that the cleaners are taking forever to run thru.

The system I have the MJ connected to, is a very fast computer, and running those cleaners before used to be done very fast and now they are not. If that makes any sense.

Joe, so what you are saying is, that is was the last update that did this? I had a feeling that might be it. I also run MagicFeatures plugin with the MJ. I was running MagicSilence plugin too, but it seemed as though the MJ was not performing like it did prior to that plugin. So I stopped using it.

I just want everything back to the way it was about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I don't know, maybe its just me, but I just feel better being able to defrag the MJ. I run cleaners and defrag my systems here daily, trying to keep everything running fast and smooth.

I guess I am still not clear on what Mike is saying to do in Performance Information and Tools. I am running Windows 7 Home Prem. and they only thing I can see to click on to get any info on the start up programs is the "Advanced Tools", then "View advanced system details in System Information" then by clicking "Software Enviroment" then "Startup Programs". In there the MJ is listed as "cdloader" Is that what I should be looking for?
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
You are correct as it is a GREAT free program, Mike Lin's startup control panel. Been using it for many years.

Joe Sica

Joe, I am running Windows 7 Home Prem. but I went to the site you suggested for XP just to have a look see, and here is what it says...

"Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows through Windows XP. Windows Vista, after all these years, finally has a very good startup manager built-in; go to Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools, and then click on Manage Startup Programs on the left."

Well in Windows 7, there is no "Manage Startup Programs" on the left? Unless I am missing it somewhere.......???? However, in one of the Cleaner programs I use, CCleaner, it has under "Tools" a "Startup" button, which lets you view the programs running at startup, the same as typing msconfig, and you can enable or disable the programs there. Is that what you guys are talking about? Should I go there and disable the MJ and then should I be able to view it once again in my defrag programs and be able to defrag again?

Last edited by Nugrl on Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:

Nugrl:
Unless MJ thinks there is a problem with the last update they won't allow your MJ to go back to a previous version with a downgrade. They DID do just that in Jan after they first had our contacts reside on their servers as opposed to our PC's. Many people had problems and complained to MJ who then offered a downgrade to the previous version.
That being said I have never had to format or defrag my MJ drive(s) in close to 2 years I have owned it and have never had any of the problems you are talking about. And like you I always keep my drives ( 4 fast SCSI 3 drives) defraged on a regular basis.
I would just do what Mike suggested you do if you feel defraging your MJ is that important to you and by not doing it, is causing your problems. Personally I don't see how, but it is your PC not mine..

Joe Sica
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject:

Nugrl:
Since I do not have Win 7 installed I can't answer your question, sorry. BUT do not fear MANY good people on here have 7 and I am sure will be able to answer your question to me.

Joe Sica
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject:

Joe,
I don't know for sure if not being able to defrag my MJ is what is causing the problems, but it seems to have all started around the same time the MJ was not appearing in my defrag programs. And now running ATF and CCleaner, daily, sometimes more, I have noticed a definite decrease in the speed on the system and how those programs themselves run. So thats when I started investigating and found which files the programs seemed to be hanging on the most. My search led me to the MJ files. I am not sure what else to try to fix the problem?
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Joe,
I don't know for sure if not being able to defrag my MJ is what is causing the problems, but it seems to have all started around the same time the MJ was not appearing in my defrag programs. And now running ATF and CCleaner, daily, sometimes more, I have noticed a definite decrease in the speed on the system and how those programs themselves run. So thats when I started investigating and found which files the programs seemed to be hanging on the most. My search led me to the MJ files. I am not sure what else to try to fix the problem?

The reason your MJ disks are not appearing in any of your programs that look for disks is that the disks are now DISMOUNTED by the most recent MJ software. That doesn't mean there is (or isn't) anything wrong with them, it just means they are no longer available to a defrag program (or to Explorer, or to any program).

Again, if you want to defrag or otherwise inspect them, you must stop MJ from auto-running when the MJ dongle is attached. You can do that with either built-in or third party startup managers.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:

Think if you installed anything new around the same time. Also check your Task Mgr to see what is eating up your CPU time, when things slow down, USUALLY it should be sitting at 98 % idle. At least mine is and I have 5 or 6 IE windows open, 2 or 3 Firefox windows open plus a bunch of other stuff running too.
HOWEVER I do not have ANY Anti Virus programs running in the background or anything of the like resident. I only run stuff like that when I need it!! I also dont have any services running I do not need. Yes I keep my PC clean and tweaked. Here is a good web page to help you tweak your services, just choose your OS and take a look.
http://www.blackviper.com/

Joe Sica
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Joe,

A couple of other things to keep in mind: the MJ disks are virtual disks, loaded into memory, not mechanical disks with mechanical heads jumping around over spinning mechanical disks. Accordingly, defragging a virtual disk is going to have no real value, even theoretically. Second, since the contents of the disks are loaded into memory during startup (and the disks then dismounted) the condition of the disks -- fragmented or not -- is irrelevant after the disks are dismounted and MJ is running from memory.

That's not to say the disks themselves might not have problems, but fragmentation wouldn't be one of them. If the disks really do have problems the solution would be to format and re-install their software.

Before resorting to that, though, I would continue to troubleshoot, ask questions, etc. Odd are pretty good whatever problem you have can be solved.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Ok, believe it or not, I use PerfectDisk as one of my defragmentation programs. And it has defragged the MJ when it was showing up. All I know is that it seemed as though when I was able to do that a couple of weeks ago, the system was running smoother/faster, like the ATF and CCleaner that I spoke of before.

As far as anything new being installed on this system. I don't really remember anything else being installed at the time this occured. The only other thing I can think of that also did have to do with the MJ was that MagicSilence plugin, which like I said, I stopped using because I thought something wasn't right while it was running. I have not used that plugin for about a month now. So I dont' think that would be it.

I do try a pay attention to all of my systems running here. I try to keep on top of 4 of them at all times. All I know is that when this all started happening, and progressively getting worse, was right around the same time the MJ disappeared from those defrag programs and such. I don't know, call me crazy!?!? Rolling Eyes
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Ok, believe it or not, I use PerfectDisk as one of my defragmentation programs. And it has defragged the MJ when it was showing up. All I know is that it seemed as though when I was able to do that a couple of weeks ago, the system was running smoother/faster, like the ATF and CCleaner that I spoke of before.

As far as anything new being installed on this system. I don't really remember anything else being installed at the time this occured. The only other thing I can think of that also did have to do with the MJ was that MagicSilence plugin, which like I said, I stopped using because I thought something wasn't right while it was running. I have not used that plugin for about a month now. So I dont' think that would be it.

I do try a pay attention to all of my systems running here. I try to keep on top of 4 of them at all times. All I know is that when this all started happening, and progressively getting worse, was right around the same time the MJ disappeared from those defrag programs and such. I don't know, call me crazy!?!? Rolling Eyes

LISTEN!!!!!! This is about the 5th time this point has been made. The MJ disk CANNOT be defragged -- CANNOT -- since the most recent software update. Why? Because AFTER the MF software starts the disks are UNMOUNTED, They are NOT on the system anymore.. The software they contained has been loaded into MEMORY and the disks thereafter REMOVED.

That means NO program can find them -- not a defragger, not Explorer, not CCleaner, not anything -- because the DISKS themselves have been REMOVED by the latest MJ software.

IF you insist on defragging them, there is ONE way to do it: make SURE the MJ program does NOT start (by using a startup manager) so the disks are NOT unmounted (and so MJ doesn't run).

Then, you can do anything you like with the disks -- defrag them, inspect them, format them, anything.
Nugrl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Ok, ok,....... no need to get huffy. I to have about 0 tolerance for stupidity, but I am just telling you what has happened to me. I am going to try what you said. I am going to do it thru CCleaner/tools. I will post back my results.
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Nugrl wrote:
Ok, ok,....... no need to get huffy. I to have about 0 tolerance for stupidity, but I am just telling you what has happened to me. I am going to try what you said. I am going to do it thru CCleaner/tools. I will post back my results.

I don't think we are communicating. This is nothing CCleaner can fix. CCleaner can only work on MOUNTED disks. What happens here is the MJ software, as soon as it finishes starting up, immediately dismounts the disks, thereafter making them unavailable for ANY program -- including CCleaner -- to access. It's as if the disks have been physically removed. They are no longer present.

The ONLY way to keep the disks mounted is to prevent MJ from starting up and them dismounting the disks. To do that, you use a startup manager (which is built-in to Vista/7; third party programs can manage startup in XP).
Robert121571
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Flash drives should never have a defrag ran on them.

I don't want to stir the pot here but. If I understand flash drives which is what is in the magicjack just like the USB thumb drives. You never ever want to run any type of disk defrag on them any way. Flash disks only have so many write cycles to them. Reading from the drive dosn't hurt them but when writing data you are slowly killing the chips a defrag will aggravate this by doing tons of writing. Also since they are not mechanical their is no difference in read time between file all in order or not on flash and in most cases since the flash drives chips are designed to use different sectors each time it writes to spread the usage across the whole chip to avoid burning out one sector early even if a file is deleted from that sector the defrag won't really be able to access it at that level.

Read this link for all about flash drives and defrag you will see what I'm getting at.
http://ask-leo.com/should_i_defragment_my_usb_flash_drive.html
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Flash drives should never have a defrag ran on them.

Robert121571 wrote:
I don't want to stir the pot here but. If I understand flash drives which is what is in the magicjack just like the USB thumb drives. You never ever want to run any type of disk defrag on them any way. Flash disks only have so many write cycles to them. Reading from the drive dosn't hurt them but when writing data you are slowly killing the chips a defrag will aggravate this by doing tons of writing. Also since they are not mechanical their is no difference in read time between file all in order or not on flash and in most cases since the flash drives chips are designed to use different sectors each time it writes to spread the usage across the whole chip to avoid burning out one sector early even if a file is deleted from that sector the defrag won't really be able to access it at that level.

Read this link for all about flash drives and defrag you will see what I'm getting at.

EXCELLENT point!!!

Joe Sica
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Flash drives should never have a defrag ran on them.

Robert121571 wrote:

True enough, but the point that needs to be understood is this: even IF the MJ drives were mechanical, and even IF they were severely fragmented, the ONLY time that would matter is when MJ initially starts up. Then, the startup would take longer (and maybe mess up), theoretically due to the fragmentation.

BUT -- and this is the key point -- once MJ has started then all its files are loaded into memory and the MJ drives are then dismounted (whether they be mechanical as in this hypothetical or flash, as they are in fact).

IOW, even IF they were severely fragmented it wouldn't matter: they are no longer being used.

Folks, what's really going on here is this: Nugrl is having problems with MJ and, like most people who are having problems with anything, the first thing she wants to do is defrag her disk and check for registry errors. That's what people always do, and sometimes it actually fixes things, but most times it doesn't. In this case, the defrag thing certainly will not fix her problem. BUT, everyone is saying "well, go ahead, it won't hurt" and that's basically true (also noting Robert121571's caveat).

Again -- to defrag the drive you have to make sure it doesn't dismount, and that means making sure MJ doesn't run.

Is that going to fix Nugrl's problem? No, but that's what she wants to try. After she figures out how to prevent MJ from starting, then defrags her MJ virtual drives, then realizes fragmentation is not the problem, we can then get around to really solving her actual problem.
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject:

I think this dismounting "feature" has to do with Dan coming out with a software only version of MJ ( along with his other project FemToCell). He needs to get all his ducks in a row and make it and our MJ's compatable... Just my opinion after doing some reading and thinking. I could be wrong...

Also I believe you are correct about Nugrl's situation and reaction to it.

Joe Sica
astro46
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject:

this is changing the topic somewhat, but since mj drives being loaded into memory is mentioned in this thread i'd like to try asking here:

the line "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "j:\magicJack"

is used in the .bat file to start without splash screen, and this now breaks the outlook addin, since the addin is set in the registry to look for the personaldataroot on j: . it can't find the j drive; does anyone know how the last part of the statement can be modified so that j: will redirect to wherever in memory mj files are kept?
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject:

astro46 wrote:
this is changing the topic somewhat, but since mj drives being loaded into memory is mentioned in this thread i'd like to try asking here:

the line "C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\mjusbsp\magicJack.exe" /foreground /scf _magicJackPersonalDataRoot "j:\magicJack"

is used in the .bat file to start without splash screen, and this now breaks the outlook addin, since the addin is set in the registry to look for the personaldataroot on j: . it can't find the j drive; does anyone know how the last part of the statement can be modified so that j: will redirect to wherever in memory mj files are kept?

Why is MJ set to start without the splash screen? Is that a mod you made?
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject:

Mike:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stop-the-splash-screen-from-starting-at-startup-t4263.html

I use this as well..

Joe Sica
astro46
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:

Mike McCarthy wrote:

see: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stop-the-splash-screen-from-starting-at-startup-t4263.html

starting from .bat file also means that softphone can be set to start minimized, which mj now won't is incapable of.
Mike McCarthy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject:

astro46 wrote:
Mike McCarthy wrote:

see: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/stop-the-splash-screen-from-starting-at-startup-t4263.html

starting from .bat file also means that softphone can be set to start minimized, which mj now won't is incapable of.

I tried Lin's CP (it does work in Vista, btw) but it didn't help. Yes, it will prevent MJ from starting after reboot. But, if I then manually start MJ (and I would, since I use MJ), then MJ reinstalls the startup file (cdloader) so the next time I re-boot MJ runs at startup.

If I then inspect the startup file I see two -- one cdloader is disabled (as I specified) but a SECOND cdloader is there, ready to run at the next startup, and it was installed by MJ when I manually started MJ,

So, now that I know how to manage startup (with Vista's own CP or with Lin's CP) how do I get MJ to NOT re-install the cdloader file?
SirScotty
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject:

This update is FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have wanted this from DAY ONE! I have had my MJ for two years now. Since the disks are now UNMOUNTED, this has fixed the compatibility issues. I can now Run DVDFab and other DVD programs that would freak out when it tried to read the MJ drives. Unfortunately, the only fix was to unplug MJ and miss telephone calls. The latest update fixes this!! Thank you MJ!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: