Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack does not boot on startup and is locking my pc

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: MagicJack does not boot on startup and is locking my pc

For the past few weeks magicjack is not booting on startup and it appears it's trying to start but cannot and is locking up my computer. Sometimes I get a message that the E: drive is not being recognized even though magicjack blue light is on and it appears it should be functional. After I pull magicjack dongle out my computer unlocks and everything is back to normal. Often when I pull the dongle out the software will then try to load despite magicjack not plugged in. Sometimes I will load magicjack dialer first without the dongle being plugged in, then plug the dongle in. But often this also does not work because once the dongle is plugged in my computer will lockup or the software will shut down and try to reboot, which is unsuccessful.

EDITED:

magicjack is not being recognized by USB port. I think sometimes it's being recognized and then it's not, which causes phone calls to be cut off.

This is very annoying to say the least.


Last edited by Mark on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Have you checked your BIOS to see that booting from USB is disabled??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Have you checked your BIOS to see that booting from USB is disabled??


Yes. I'm not booting from USB.

I'm getting error messages stating "USB Device Not Recognized".

I think my magicjack died. The dongle blue light goes on, then off, then the error message.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Can you try it on another PC to see if it follows the MJ dongle?? If not then there is something in your setup it does not like....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Can you try it on another PC to see if it follows the MJ dongle?? If not then there is something in your setup it does not like....


At the moment, I'm trying to get it to work in my desktop pc (as opposed to my laptop) and it still is having problems. I'm getting to the point that I'm sure the dongle died unless there is a problem with magicjack software.

Right now, when I boot to Window XP and then plug in magicjack, I will get the initial splash screen saying, "Tell your friends/magicjack.com" and then this splash screen freezes and refuses to finish uploading the software. Then I will pull magicjack out of the USB port, which will then allow magicjack software to finish loading. Just now, after the software finally loaded (after pulling the dongle out), I then plugged the dongle back in and now it looks like magicjack is working. However, I have done this before only to make a call and then be cut off because magicjack crashes. Now that mj is up and running, I checked voice mail message just to see if it was working and I was able to check voice mail. But the voice quality is not the best. This indicates that it may crash if I try to make a regular call. I'm going to reboot my pc again to see what happens.


Last edited by Mark on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Seems unlikely you would experience the same problem on two different PC's. I agree it is pointing to a bad dongle.
Now.... IF you got it direct from MJ you MIGHT, if you get the right rep, convince them to send you a new one. Just contact MJ online chat.
If you bought it locally and it is withing the return period, bring it back and get another ( look for an orange sticker on the bottom of the MJ as that is the latest version). If it is past that point then you have no choice but to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
Of course in any of the above situations you MUST contact MJ support prior to plugging in the new unit in oreder to keep your number and time..

One last thought.. IF you are using the short extension cord which came with the MJ, DONT as it may cause many wierd problems.

Good luck...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Seems unlikely you would experience the same problem on two different PC's. I agree it is pointing to a bad dongle.
Now.... IF you got it direct from MJ you MIGHT, if you get the right rep, convince them to send you a new one. Just contact MJ online chat.
If you bought it locally and it is withing the return period, bring it back and get another ( look for an orange sticker on the bottom of the MJ as that is the latest version). If it is past that point then you have no choice but to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
Of course in any of the above situations you MUST contact MJ support prior to plugging in the new unit in oreder to keep your number and time..

One last thought.. IF you are using the short extension cord which came with the MJ, DONT as it may cause many wierd problems.

Good luck...


Yes. I did buy it directly from magicjack.

Thanks for the tip about the extension cord. I am aware this cord can cause problems. But I don't have to use it with my laptop, but do use it with my desktop. There is a USB port at the front of my desktop and I have tried that port, but I'm still running into problems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject:

ALWAYS use a rear USB port as a front port is nothing but an unpowered USB hub... Now if you have a POWERED usb hub to try, you might want to give that a go..
But all in all i would bug MJ support to send you a new one. I think they now charge $10 for a replacement.
You can also try an email to [email protected] as many people have gotten better results that way....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject:

I also want to add that magicJack's software dialer loads very slowly and outbound calls are a full of static. I seems the problem is that there is something wrong with the dongle. I will contact magicJack tomorrow and see if they can do anything. Even if they want me to send mine back so they can take a look at it. Is there any software available to test the dongle?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject:

Mark wrote:
I also want to add that magicJack's software dialer loads very slowly and outbound calls are a full of static. I seems the problem is that there is something wrong with the dongle. I will contact magicJack tomorrow and see if they can do anything. Even if they want me to send mine back so they can take a look at it. Is there any software available to test the dongle?

They won't ask for the dongle back as they don't want it. Just be sure it is the dongle which is bad. No point in paying $10 for a replacement from them only to find it does the same thing!!
No software that I am aware of to test it, other than your PC and a phone....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject:

One more thing. When the dongle is plugged in and the blue light indicates it's functioning, the magicJack software will not boot up by itself. So I have to manually launch the software. When I do, it will not boot up until I unplug the dongle. Then my computer unfreezes and the software boots. But then I have to plug the dongle back in, which may cause the software to shut down and try to restart. When it does, I get the log in screen--telling me I have to log in. Then I have to unplug it again. It's a cat and mouse game. lol!

For $10, at least I'll find find out if the dongle is bad. With all that's been going on, I'm confident that it is.

bitstopjoe, Thanks for all your help!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject:

UPDATE: I spent all evening with magicJack customer service personnel, including allowing them to remotely connect to my computer, to no avail. I must have chatted with 4 different reps. They did not want to recognize that my magicJack is defective. I'm sorry to say, it was a total waste of time. My computer continues to freeze when booting up to Windows XP when magicJack is plugged in. In fact, even the customer care rep saw for herself that magicJack was freezing up windows. Yet, she didn't want to recognize that there is a problem and offer me a replacement. I don't understand magicJack/YMAX customer service. What does it take to convince them that it's the product that is defective, not the computer.

My only option is to buy another magicJack where I can find one and then have my account transferred to the new magicJack. I'm going to buy a new one and when I find it is fully functional, I'm going to send my defective dongle to YMAX Corp. and explain what happened. And I should ask them for a check for the difference between the $9.95 replacement and the 39.00+ dollars it will cost me to buy one retail. But don't think I'm delusional in thinking that I will be reimbursed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO


Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 2844
Location: North East Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject:

Mark wrote:
UPDATE: I spent all evening with magicJack customer service personnel, including allowing them to remotely connect to my computer, to no avail. I must have chatted with 4 different reps. They did not want to recognize that my magicJack is defective. I'm sorry to say, it was a total waste of time. My computer continues to freeze when booting up to Windows XP when magicJack is plugged in. In fact, even the customer care rep saw for herself that magicJack was freezing up windows. Yet, she didn't want to recognize that there is a problem and offer me a replacement. I don't understand magicJack/YMAX customer service. What does it take to convince them that it's the product that is defective, not the computer.

My only option is to buy another magicJack where I can find one and then have my account transferred to the new magicJack. I'm going to buy a new one and when I find it is fully functional, I'm going to send my defective dongle to YMAX Corp. and explain what happened. And I should ask them for a check for the difference between the $9.95 replacement and the 39.00+ dollars it will cost me to buy one retail. But don't think I'm delusional in thinking that I will be reimbursed.


Yep they can be hit or miss in helping you. I would try again and DEMAND a new MJ ( just tell them you tried it on another PC and you had the exact same problem). If that does not help, as I mentioned, email [email protected] and send a detailed message and explain all you did and the failure of online chat to help...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mark
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 14 Jun 2008
Posts: 72
Location: New Jersey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject:

bitstopjoe wrote:
Mark wrote:
UPDATE: I spent all evening with magicJack customer service personnel, including allowing them to remotely connect to my computer, to no avail. I must have chatted with 4 different reps. They did not want to recognize that my magicJack is defective. I'm sorry to say, it was a total waste of time. My computer continues to freeze when booting up to Windows XP when magicJack is plugged in. In fact, even the customer care rep saw for herself that magicJack was freezing up windows. Yet, she didn't want to recognize that there is a problem and offer me a replacement. I don't understand magicJack/YMAX customer service. What does it take to convince them that it's the product that is defective, not the computer.

My only option is to buy another magicJack where I can find one and then have my account transferred to the new magicJack. I'm going to buy a new one and when I find it is fully functional, I'm going to send my defective dongle to YMAX Corp. and explain what happened. And I should ask them for a check for the difference between the $9.95 replacement and the 39.00+ dollars it will cost me to buy one retail. But don't think I'm delusional in thinking that I will be reimbursed.


Yep they can be hit or miss in helping you. I would try again and DEMAND a new MJ ( just tell them you tried it on another PC and you had the exact same problem). If that does not help, as I mentioned, email [email protected] and send a detailed message and explain all you did and the failure of online chat to help...


Again, bitstopjoe, I appreciate your help. I spent $40 and purchased a new magicJack. Sure enough, it worked right out of the package, which is no surprise. This proves my original magicJack is indeed defective. The new one immediately launched the dialer--no freeze-up. Then I made this new magicJack part of my existing account. So, I'm up and running again. By the way, from what I read, a replacement magicJack is only offered for $9.95 if it fails within the warranty period. Perhaps Dan at magicJack can pull some strings and help me, but at this point, I'm just happy I have my phone back. Then again, if the Dan you are referring to is the inventor, then I'm sure he can pull some strings. lol! I'm not going to argue over $20. And I'm sure YMAX is aware that some dongles are prematurely failing. To this end, I don't think a dongle should fail in less than 2 years. Then again, I have saved a lot of money using magicJack, so I'm not going to get all bent out of shape over this incident. I'm not a heavy phone user, so it's nice to have a phone without needing to spend over $20 just to have a landline connected, not including call charges, which I didn't use very often.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject:

Mark wrote:
a replacement magicJack is only offered for $9.95 if it fails within the warranty period.

To expect replacement beyond a warranty period would not be reasonable with any company hoping to stay in business.

And I'm sure YMAX is aware that some dongles are prematurely failing. To this end, I don't think a dongle should fail in less than 2 years.

Almost 2 years is not bad for a crap piece of electronic equipment.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.