Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack drives and keypad disappear at random

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: MagicJack drives and keypad disappear at random

Iíve been a MagicJack customer for over three years. Until recently, MagicJack ran almost flawlessly. I was very happy with it. Now a major problem has developed:

About every two days, MagicJack disappears from my computer without warning and sometimes during a call. The drives disappear from My Computer and magicjack.exe disappears from the Processes list in Task Manager and the MagicJack display disappears from my desktop. It's like the MagicJack unit was suddenly pulled out of its USB port, but it remains inserted tightly in the USB port and its blue light remains lit after the drives and keypad disappear. No error messages are generated and no event is recorded in Windows XP Event Viewer. Applying the latest upgrade.exe did not fix the problem. Restarting the computer does not reconnect MagicJack but a cold reboot DOES reconnect MagicJack and everything is back to normal until it crashes again. Unplugging MagicJack and plugging it back in also re-establishes the connection without having to reboot. "Live Chat" had me run upgrade.exe and change some internet settings, but that did not solve the problem.

I should emphasize again, the magicJack unit remains tightly inserted in its USB port with the blue light shining when the drives and keypad disappear. Is it a bad MagicJack unit? Bad USB port? Something else? Help!

P.S. I run MagicJack in Windows XP Pro SP3.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject:

Are you using the extension cable that comes with your MJ? Double check to make sure your usb ports are not set to turn off to save power. Can you try your MJ on another PC and see if the same thing happens? Have you made any changes to your system recently that may interfere with MJ's operation? Were you running your MJ 24/7 or sporadically? The only other thing I can think of is to try and restart your PC daily and see if the problem continues. If a cold reboot restarts MJ after this problem occurs then a scheduled daily reboot may help your problem.
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. No, I am not using the extension cable. The MagicJack is plugged directly into a USB port on the back of my desktop computer. It's the same port I have been using for several years with no problems. My computer and MagicJack run 24/7. I never set the USB ports to turn off to save power and doubt that that could be the problem since 4 other USB devices work fine. Also, the blue light on MagicJack remains brightly lit after the disconnection occurs so it must still be getting power, right?

I have tried rebooting daily. That does not prevent the random disconnections. Rebooting does, however, fix the problem after it occurs.

The only system change that was recently made was an upgrade from AOL 9.0 to AOL 9.6. That upgrade may have done something to "AOL Connectivity Service" that now interferes with MagicJack. I'll look into that.

In the meantime, if you think of other possibilities, let me know.
Kif Kroker
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject:

MrMGA wrote:
Thanks for the reply. No, I am not using the extension cable. The MagicJack is plugged directly into a USB port on the back of my desktop computer. It's the same port I have been using for several years with no problems. My computer and MagicJack run 24/7. I never set the USB ports to turn off to save power and doubt that that could be the problem since 4 other USB devices work fine. Also, the blue light on MagicJack remains brightly lit after the disconnection occurs so it must still be getting power, right?

I have tried rebooting daily. That does not prevent the random disconnections. Rebooting does, however, fix the problem after it occurs.

The only system change that was recently made was an upgrade from AOL 9.0 to AOL 9.6. That upgrade may have done something to "AOL Connectivity Service" that now interferes with MagicJack. I'll look into that.

In the meantime, if you think of other possibilities, let me know.

Possibly could be some oxidation on the contacts of your mJ or the USB port causing it to lose connection. You could try some electronic contact cleaner and spray both the USB connector on your mJ and the USB port on your computer and see if that alleviates the problem. It should only cost a few to 10 bucks for a can of the contact cleaner. Here are some found searching Google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=electronic+contact+cleaner&hl=en&sa=X&tbs=p_ord:p&tbm=shop&prmd=ivns&ei=CI6sTa_oA-Pj0gHApYH6CA&ved=0CAsQuw0oAQ

Dave
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Dave - Thanks for the suggestion. I already cleaned the contacts with compressed air but maybe I need something stronger. I doubt that dirty contacts are the problem since the blue light shines brightly after the MagicJack drives disappear, but I'll give it a try.
Thunder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Try a usb powered hub. I went through similar situations you described and the hub fixed my problem.
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Thunder"]Try a usb powered hub. I went through similar situations you described and the hub fixed my problem.[/quote]

I presume you mean an A/C powered hub as opposed to a hub that is powered by the USB port itself. That suggestion definitely has merit *if* it is a power issue. However, since my MagicJack's blue light shines brightly even after its random disconnections, doesn't that mean it is getting full power? Is there a way to check the voltage being put out by a USB port?

Maybe another idea is to try a different USB port?
Thunder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject:

Yes an A/C powered hub. Also when I had disconnects and dropped calls and other problems, my blue light was still on.
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject:

[quote]Yes an A/C powered hub. Also when I had disconnects and dropped calls and other problems, my blue light was still on.[/quote]

I don't know if that will solve my problem, but it sure won't cost much to find out. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
adammagicjack
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject:

MrMGA wrote:
Quote:
Yes an A/C powered hub. Also when I had disconnects and dropped calls and other problems, my blue light was still on.

I don't know if that will solve my problem, but it sure won't cost much to find out. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Well, a powered hub will provide around 500 mA or 1/2 an amp as opposed to 100 mA but that might introduce its own problems. Unless current was the culprit here. I can't see the magicjack working well with a hub since the problem of noise might increase and be a zero sum game. But let us know how it works out.

I wonder where you are dialing to? I can recall an electrical storm wiping out a telephone relay substation. When the bums fixed it, they used lesser equipment. The lesser equipment would not permit good digitizing so the equipment would kill digitized calls rather easily. Nothing to be done. This affected the internet more than telephone calls.

Are you calling others on the internet or are you going to landlines or cell lines?

Is your device still under a warranty in case it's broken?

My device just started acting weirdly so I sympathize.
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Adammagicjack, I just noticed your post from a couple weeks ago.

There is no rhyme or reason to the dropped calls. It happens so infrequently (maybe once or twice a week), I might not notice a pattern if there is one. All I know is that the computer makes the sound of a USB device being pulled out or plugged in, and the MJ drives and dialpad disappear when it happens.

I haven't tried a powered USB hub yet. My PC has eight (Cool USB ports and I'm trying MJ in diffferent ones to see what happens. Interestingly, MJ will not install from at least one USB port because of CD-Rom controller errors. Other ports install MJ more rapidly than others. THere is much more variability than one would expect and the solution may be to find the "right" USB port.

In any case, I may simply wait until MagicJack Plus comes out in JUne (supposedly.) In case you are not familiar with that, check out this press release from Vocaltec: http://www.vocaltec.com/site/modules/newsItem.asp?sid=7&pid=55&itemID=198&NewsYear=2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: