Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack for Android Application Official Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RShea
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: MagicJack for Android Application Official Discussion

Just got the Android MagicJack App (free from Google Play of course). Has anyone tested this yet?

Some questions arise about the advantages and disadvantages to having the App tied to your existing MagicJack phone number vs the offer to get a new Free MagicJack telephone number.

If you use the existing number as your selection- then have someone using the line to call while you try to also call, would you be blocked or would MagicJack have an issue if both calls are completed?

If you select the Free 2nd number, would the simultaneous use change in any way?

I'll try and test the use of the actual device and the phone app soon.

Any knowledge of if you can later switch the app to use the "free" number (uninstall and reinstall with new login at the set-up?
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject:

- The free number option is NOT a "regular" U.S. phone number, it's a proprietary MJ number that requires callers to first call into a special MJ access number. Read up on that and choose wisely.
chrissv
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Annoying icon...

I just loaded the app, and it looks good... EXCEPT

except for the annoying icon it puts a the top of the notification area!
Most apps have an option to put it there or not - I couldn't find one.

Does anyone know how to remove that icon? It is there shortly after I boot, and I can't kill the app to make it go away.
177erz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Android App not working on newer API

I have used the MagicJack app on my HTC Inspire and it worked fine, later that day I found a firmware update for my phone (manufacturer approved) I updated the phone and the Android OS and now the magic jack app messes up royally. It will start the app and ask you if you want to use freecalls or sign in with your account, so I select that. About halfway into typing my email address associated with my magic jack account; it just restarts the app. It will keep doing that over and over again without fail, even while I am doing other things on my phone, whether I am in the google play store or even when I try to go into settings to kill the app it still restarts and pops up onto the screen, until I can finally do it fast enough to permenantly kill the app.

So long story short I found out while trying to kill that app, it runs 2 processes, 1 is the app itself and the other is some crappy conglomerate that I'm assuming is causing the error, named "keepalive for MJ" that must be the program that is having the Magic Jack app restart itself, they must not have tested the magic jack app with all the newest apis; I know cause I have the android SDK. I wish they just gimmie there sourcecode so I can fix it myself. BTW my Software information: Android version 2.3.5 HTC Sense version 3.0 Software number 3.20.502.52 710RD Kernel version 2.6.35.10-ga375925
Baseband version 12.69a.60.29U_26.17.14.11_M
Build number 3.20.502.52 CL380259 release-keys
Browser version Webkit/533.1
TINEWEN
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject:

I have both the MJ and MJ+. When the MJ App came out I used both number for the apps on two Android devices, one for my cell and the other for my tablet. The apps worked great and I never had an issue with them. However, by using the apps incoming calls would not go to my MJ devices even though I could use them to call out. I found this to be irritating so I had them uninstalled this morning.
I had asked the techie, who was helping me with the uninstall, for the call forwarding link because I use to forward my calls to my cell before they removed the call forwarding from the web page. The call forwarding link is as follows:
https://web04.magicjack.com/my/call-forwarding.html
I prefer this option, because I have control of the device and I am not paying $20 and $40 to renew apps instead of my device annually. If their app would allow incoming calls to my device in addition to the app and have controls to remove it from my Android in case it's lost or stolen, then I never would have gotten rid of it.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject:

TINEWEN wrote:
If their app would allow incoming calls to my device in addition to the app and have controls to remove it from my Android in case it's lost or stolen, then I never would have gotten rid of it.

- Actually, incoming calls DO ring on both (but there is no way to "deactivate" your installed app prior to its "expiration" other than to delete the app from your Android device - which of course you can't if the Android device gets lost or stolen). The system is designed such that if you have an installed MJ app set to use the same number that your MJ device uses, the incoming call rings both the MJ device AND the device that the app is installed on. The call will connect with whichever device you answer it on first. (My son has an installed app set to the same number as his MJ device, and incoming calls ring both and connect with whichever one he actually answers them on.)

My *guess* is that you were having difficulty with this aspect of the service because your online MJ account settings were not set correctly. Specifically, within your online account settings you need to make sure that a) both the MJ device AND the app are set to "accept" both incoming and outgoing service, and b) that the voicemail delay for BOTH the MJ device AND the app are each set to at least 30 seconds.

BTW - The MJ app for Android is now also available on Amazon.com, in its "Apps for Android" section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: