magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

magicjack forwarding outgoing calls from cell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redearth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: magicjack forwarding outgoing calls from cell Reply with quote

Hey guys I am new here just started looking into magicjack services lately, wishing I new of this stuff a few years ago actually but anyway I've been trying to come up with a solution to my situation. I can not get a local magicjack number (which sucks!) I am in the 902 area code PEI canada. You can get local 902 area code Halifax NS but not PEI (big time shitty) So I've been trying to figure out a cheap work around method such as Parkmyphone, callcentric, etc. Most will not accept PEI DID (not cool) but I did find one that said they would port my number charging me 3cents a min. Not bad, I messed up jailbreaking my phone tho and cant seem to find the company that said they could do it. Anyway my problem I will figure it out eventually. So I wanted to know if anyone here knows how this works http://www.do not trust - spammer/magiccell.html they are charging for this service and I am wondering if it can be done by anyone with a magicjack. Basically just add magicjack to my favs have call forwarding on magicjack to cell nothing new that I've seen that before but for outgoing calls they use myfav call your magicjack # then use a call forwarding option of some sort to use magicjack to forward your outgoing call. If anyone knows of a how to that I can read on how to set this up please let me know. Thanks RedEarth
redearth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: URL is www dot canadianmagicjack dot ca/magiccell.html Reply with quote

I tried the link it worked for me but may not stay active anyway agian the canadianmagicjack dot ca/magiccell.html[/url]
redearth
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet jesus dont everyone answer all at once lol
Barada Nels
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redearth wrote:
sweet jesus dont everyone answer all at once lol

Greetings,

You may want to post this in the Technical Help forum right below this one. You were right by posting this here . . . but you would get more assistance in the other forum.

But, I personally do not know of anyway to do this on the MagicJack. BUT, you can always buy a OBi110:http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Bridge-Telephone-Adapter/dp/B0045RMEPI/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t and use Google voice (which is free until 2012, maybe later). Google voice allows you to use your cell phone number.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Barada Nels
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barada Nels wrote:
Google voice allows you to use your cell phone number.

I could be wrong, but unless it has changed recently, I don't think Google Voice plays well at all with Canadian phone numbers. Last I saw you couldn't even set up an account unless you were using a US ISP in some fashion.
Barada Nels
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Barada Nels wrote:
Google voice allows you to use your cell phone number.

I could be wrong, but unless it has changed recently, I don't think Google Voice plays well at all with Canadian phone numbers. Last I saw you couldn't even set up an account unless you were using a US ISP in some fashion.

You could be quite correct about that. I have no prior involvement with Canadian numbers or ISPs, therefore I would not know. I could Google it, but I will leave the research to the OP.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Barada Nels suggestion. A good quality real ATA such as the OBi110 will provide much better quality and reliability than MagicJack, NetTalkDUO or other cheaply made devices which are also locked to a specific provider. They are especially better than Magicjack since you do not have to keep a computer on to use them nor have to worry about complicated issues regrading conflicts with computer software.

As Barada has suggested you can use Google Voice for outgoing calls for free. Google Voice does try and limit setup to US systems only but there are many sites describing methods to work around this such as http://www.sxymobile.com/news/google-voice-canada-outgoing-incoming/.

It is important to realize that the OBi100/110 are not tied to a specific voip provider; they are unlocked ATAs and can be used with any voip provider.

It is nice that in addition to sip the OBi's also handle XMPP protocol which is used by Google Voice and thus the OBi's unlike any other ATA can natively handle working with GV. Google Voice during 2010 promised that their service would be free until the end of 2010 and later promised free service until 2011. Currently they have removed any time drop dead date for free service so perhaps they intend to keep it free? But since with an OBi your not locked to any specific provider and if they made it more cost effective to use another provider in the future you'd be all set.

In your situation you may want to take a look at using the freephoneline.ca mentioned in the Google voice work around above to provide you a number first in Alberta; but since they mention number porting is available you may be able to port over a PEI DID to them.

If that will work for you then you would have free incoming calls and for now can use GV for out going calls.

The OBi devices also have many features like call blocking etc. and perhaps most importantly to you bridging. With bridging you can call in to the OBi on your freephoneline.ca did and the OBi can bridge that call back out thru GV or for that matter any other voip provider or even to your regular land line if you still have one of those.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: magicjack forwarding outgoing calls from cell Reply with quote

redearth wrote:
So I wanted to know if anyone here knows how this works http://www.do not trust - spammer/magiccell.html

It appears the answer to your actual question is no, but there should be alternate ways to accomplish what you want to do.

Do note however, that the 403 area code workaround on the provided link by VaHam, and others you may find using the 403 area code workaround, may have been closed by GoogleVoice, as speculation was it eventually might be, as that area code is not available through them, at least as of a few hours ago.

Edit: Using the freephoneline site mentioned in the link to get the 403 number could probably work however. But you may get an error message when setting up your GV account from Canada and might have to use a US ISP. Some of my initial searches mentioned people getting 403 numbers through GV. Looks like that probably never was the case and they were more than likely going through freephoneline and just using it with GV.

Last edited by nailgunner on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another 403 workaround site:

http://www.nirdvana.com/2010/05/17/making-google-voice-work-in-canada/

In the brief comments section near the end, someone posted a "myfav" set-up that may or may not be of any use to you.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you only need any US number for long enough to receive one call from Google Voice in order to setup an account. Once the account has been setup then calls are placed via XMPP and have been proven to work in many countries including Canada.

You can use any provider who can forward a US based call to you to do this. The business with a 403 area code does not apply to calls placed over sip. So the GV 403 area code whole which used to exist was only important if you were not using a unlocked ATA.

You can search http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/DID+Service+Providers to find one of your choice. You could for instance get a free WA State DID from IPKALL and point that to your OBi to get setup or even to Xlite free softphone since you only need it for one call. You just need a little more work to do that but in the end you'd also have a free incoming US did in WA State as well to use.

Then when signing up for GV have them call you thru the IPKALL DID to verify you. After that is setup then you enter your GV credentials into the OBi.

The reason I suggested looking at freephoneline.ca was primarily because it appeared that they may be able to port a PEI DID for you which is what I think you want anyway and they are free. And you would only have had to setup one DID.

It looks like for $50 one time fee they provide you with login credentials and you can have free incoming and local calls from them. That sounds like it may be a better deal than the one you mentioned; something to check into anyway. Especially when using GV for outgoing to US and CA since it is free. I suspect you could find the credentials for freephoneline.ca and just use them but to only charge a ON TIME fee of $50 for authorized BYOD sounds very fair to me.

The bridging ability and multiple trunk setup in the OBi's allows lots of possibilities and they have done a great job of making their web portal easy to set these things up.

Unlike the locked devices like the MJ or NetTalkDuo etc. you have flexibility so there are probably many ways to accomplish what you want.

Just remember to use the hotspotshield or another proxy so your ip will be in the US during your GV signup.

Once you have your OBi all setup there is a softphone proxy which allows you to directly interface with the OBi from your favorite computer softphone if you like. There is also a smartphone ap to directly access it as well and the bridging of coarse works with both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: