magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack frequently disconnects after first ring(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmpreusser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: MagicJack frequently disconnects after first ring(s) Reply with quote

I like magicJack, but I have not had much luck so far. Hopefully someone can helpme?!
I installed my (second) unit a few days ago and have run into a problem, where the call gets disconnected after one or two rings. The receiving end hears the phone ring but when answering the line is dead.
Trying repeatedly may eventually connect the call. (but that time the recipient considers it a crank call and may not answer)
I did not find this subject in the frequently asked question on magicjack.com, so I am hoping someone will know the answer to this annoying problem.
Thanks in advance.
Fred
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MagicJack frequently disconnects after first ring(s) Reply with quote

fmpreusser wrote:
I like magicJack, but I have not had much luck so far. Hopefully someone can helpme?!
I installed my (second) unit a few days ago and have run into a problem, where the call gets disconnected after one or two rings. The receiving end hears the phone ring but when answering the line is dead.
Trying repeatedly may eventually connect the call. (but that time the recipient considers it a crank call and may not answer)
I did not find this subject in the frequently asked question on magicjack.com, so I am hoping someone will know the answer to this annoying problem.
Thanks in advance.
Fred

Sooooo the first mJ line is okay and this problem with the second mJ has just appeared? Just to be sure, each mJ has its own computer, right? We also need to know a bit about your available bandwidth, router and the like to be sure about the capacity of your link to the Internet. Please post again with additional information. Thx!

By the way, welcome to the forum!!!
fmpreusser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rookie mistake, not enough information! Thanks for the response, here is some more detail:
My first magicjack unit was defective and I returned and replaced with second unit which functioned immidiately (with the problem described in the posting). Despite numerous chats with support, it remains unresolved, but I am inclined to think it is my system which is a little complex.

Here is the configuration: Cable Modem to Computer A which runs a linux firewall (Smoothwall) => linksys Router=> Computer B which runs Vista and MagicJack.
The linux Firewall is set to open ports 5060:5070 as well as port10000:20000 for protocol UDP and all IP #s.
The router's port forwarding is also set for 5060:5070 UDP and TCP.

This is the configuration that gives me trouble, so in order to troubleshoot and eliminate the router and the Linux box I changed the configuration where
cable modem => computer A which now runs XP and magicjack. My thinking is to see if this fixes the problem ( so far so good, but that is inconclusive).
If this fixes it I would move the magijack back to Computer B and if still works it eliminates the router as the problem and points to the Linux firewall as the culprit. I looked at postings on several forums, but have not found a thread with this (smoothwall and magicjack)

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmpreusser wrote:
... Thanks for the response, here is some more detail:
My first magicjack unit was defective and I returned and replaced with second unit which functioned immidiately (with the problem described in the posting)...

Here is the configuration: Cable Modem to Computer A which runs a linux firewall (Smoothwall) => linksys Router=> Computer B which runs Vista and MagicJack.
The linux Firewall is set to open ports 5060:5070 as well as port10000:20000 for protocol UDP and all IP #s.
The router's port forwarding is also set for 5060:5070 UDP and TCP.

This is the configuration that gives me trouble, so in order to troubleshoot and eliminate the router and the Linux box I changed the configuration where cable modem => computer A which now runs XP and magicjack. My thinking is to see if this fixes the problem ( so far so good, but that is inconclusive).
If this fixes it I would move the magijack back to Computer B and if still works it eliminates the router as the problem and points to the Linux firewall as the culprit. I looked at postings on several forums, but have not found a thread with this (smoothwall and magicjack)

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

A quick reply, there have been reports that more ports above 20000 need to be open - search on that.

Linksys routers have been ... errrr, let say a pain. Please post model # or search on the router's model #.

My thought, subject to correction by the mJ Gods, consider running mJ B/4 the firewall, off of the linux box and before the router. This is dependent upon how you have your phone setup - single off 'puter or several off of the house wiring.

Please note that your setup is different from mine so please allow the other members of the forum to post. There are several things that will be tweaked so it is best to wait until someone who has similar equipment reads your post and replies.
fmpreusser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for response; the linksys router model is BEFSR41.
One thing I did not mention: I have Skype running behind firewall and router so I assumed that magicjack could also run behind?? To run magicjack before the linux firewall means I have to give up the linux firewall. Computer A runs either as firewall or as an XP operating system it cannot run both. Before I give it up I want to investigate further.
Looking at my router settings it has multiple port settings for UPnP for Skype enabled. Do I need to do the same for magicjack?? and what are the port?
It looks like magicjack is running fine before the router confirming that this is a problem with either the router or the firewall. Would love to try anything.
Fred
Popgory
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmpreusser wrote:
thanks again for response; the linksys router model is BEFSR41.
Looking at my router settings it has multiple port settings for UPnP for Skype enabled. Do I need to do the same for magicjack?? and what are the port?
It looks like magicjack is running fine before the router confirming that this is a problem with either the router or the firewall. Would love to try anything.
Fred

Yes, you do. mJ needs 5060 & 5070 (both TCP & UDP) plus a bunch up top (10000-50000 UDP). Do a search on "ports" to get the specifics.

While our routers are similar, we have different ISPs ... you cable, me dsl. Not sure how much this comes into play with the QoS settings on the Linksys. For what it is worth,
I do have QoS enabled on my Linksys and give my TC (host to mJ) priority by means of its MAC address.
I have ENABLED the upstream to Manual at 206Kbps.
My BEFSX41 has 4 ports and I have given Port 4 High priority (this is TC's port) with both Flow Control & Incoming Rate Limit disabled. (DMZ Disable)

Consider the above with your set-up. I will be back on the boards tonight.
fmpreusser
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally get back to the problem described above;
I reconfigured my system to:
Cable Modem=> Router => Computer A (XP-Running Magicjack) and Computer B (Vista). The good news is I had no problems nor did I have to enable port forwarding 5060:5070 or any other.
The bad news is that this points to my smootwall firewall to be the culprit! I reconfigured the system again to the original setting:
Cable Modem => Computer A (running Smootwall) => Linksys Router =>Computer B (running MagicJack) For outgoing traffic I enabled the highports 1024-65535 and so far so good, but only time will tell.
May be someone has run into this before.
Thank you
Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: