Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Magicjack great but restarts itself several times a day??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark40511
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Magicjack great but restarts itself several times a day??

First of all. I have Magicjack, works great. I sold a friend a Gateway notebook with xp home sp2. Her magicjack works beautifully as far as making/receiving/call clarity/etc. The one problem she is having is, whether on a call or not, magicjack will restart itself occasionally. We have taken magicjack out. Checked connections to make sure they're secure, tried the usb ports. She still uses it all the time and loves it but has to deal with it doing that. I can't think of anything she can do personally that I haven't tried. Any suggestions?
lonestarmagic
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject:

This may not be the issue, but depending on her ISP, if she looses connection and regains connection, this might cause the MJ to restart itself when the ISP regains connection.

Have her monitor what programs are running in the background, there might be some pgm such as if her system is trying to do a virus scan, etc. Some firewalls have been known to also get in the way of how the MJ functions as well.

Also open up the device manager to see what all is running and how much CPU/memory is being used. If there is alot, some pgms should be closed. Might want to close some that really aren't needed and you might find which ones are causing the issue if this is the case.

Outside of that, I haven't had any issues with my MJ restarting itself whether I'm on a call or not.
mphixson
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject:

i had that exact same problem occur on one of my pc's. traced it back to a conflict between the USB wireless adapter and the magicjack. Often the wireless would lose connnectivity and then the magicjack would reboot, sometimes in the middle of a call. ended up fixing this by moving the magicjack to another set of USB ports. i.e. I have two ports on the back of the machine, and four ports off a front header on the motherboard to the front of the machine. they are seperate entities in the device manager. once i did that, no more conflicts or reboots. so if you are using wireless, that could be an option, check device manager, view devices by connection to see if they are on the same hub. or if you have multiple hubs to choose from.
mark40511
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks

I'm thinking it isn't that. She has Windstream DSL. Same as me, though she has DSL lite. I have 6mbps. When I freshly installed magicjack on her computer, which she mainly uses just to surf the net. Hardly any programs running other than avg free 8 and general programs like adobe reader, IE, firefox, ccleaner which is what I have. We also went to startup and disabled alot of the startup items anyway. So when this happens, nothing really is running beyond capacity. It did it one day when I was there. we were not even on the computer and it just went off, I looked at the computer screen and wondered why it was re starting. I unplugged it, checked cable etc and plugged it back in. It did it three times while I was there and three weeks later it has done it ever since. My connection can go out while im surfing the net briefly, but I don't ever have this issue with my magicjack. It has never restarted unless I restart the computer or restart it myself. The weird thing is that the thing works great, she loves it and just deals with the occasional restarts.
mark40511
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject:

Mphixon,

My last post was in response to the first reply, not to you. Thats interesting. With that laptop I sold her, I have wireless here at my home. I had that computer set up for wireless. At her home, she has DSL connected directly to her notebook, not wireless. I wonder if there is a setting or something I didn't change. Forgive me, my computer level of expertise falls halfway in between intermediate and advanced
mark40511
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject:

Your post got me thinking. When I was at her house, the only change I made, I went to control panel/network connections/ and enabled local area connection 3 because she doesn't have wireless she had dsl connected to her laptop. We had not disabled the wireless network connection, I right clicked and disabled that, well that is when the magicjack started rebooting. I called her just now and asked her to enable wireless network connection and it works doesn't disconnect now. we know this because before, you could barely even touch the laptop and it would reboot. Now you can move the cords and it stays on. There are four usb ports on the right side of the computer, none in the back. She had previously tried all the usb ports. So even though she doesn't have a wireless connection, we keep that enabled to prevent this from happening. I don't get it but its working.
mark40511
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject:

Well, it started re-starting itself again so apparently that wasn't a fix. I don't know what else to tell her to do. It works great when it works. She isn't on wireless, dsl directly connected to her computer and I dont see anything on her startup or running to compromise alot of resources. Basically pretty much the same I have on my computer. Her computer seems fast as well.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject:

Have you tried your magicjack at her house?
Perhaps hers is defective?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: