Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack hacked into a netbook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikend
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: MagicJack hacked into a netbook

I put my MJ into an Asus 1000HE netbook. The phone connects with a simple headphone jack and plug. Pictures do more justice than words:

I took the MJ out of its shell and placed it on the right hand side of the netbook, under the motherboard.

I removed the phone jack from the MJ and soldered the leads to a standard 1/8th inch headphone receiver. I epoxied the receiver onto the case and bored a hole for the jack.

I ran 5 wires from a usb slot across the top of the motherboard and through a preexisting hole on the other side. this is what connects the MJ

here you can see the receiving end.

I set up the MJ to run a service so that all I ever need to do is plug in the phone and dial away. It took me about a day to get everything working the way I want it and it has not given me a problem since.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject:

One very cool mod,Thanks for the information Very Happy
Alpman
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I like it! How about connecting the phone jack wires to the two center pins of the netbook's on-board RJ45 port, as these two pins are NC on the motherboard. This would save the step of mdifying your case for the mini-jack and you could use any telephone as an rj11 plug will fit nicely into the rj45 port. You can still use the LAN seperately as well. If you need to use both at the same time (no WiFi available) there are special rj45 Y splitters that will allow you to do so. You can even pick them up on ebay...Just a thought on how to imrove upon your unique idea.
mikend
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject:

I'm glad you like it.

Alpman, I thought about doing it that way for a while but in the end decided against it because I use a wired lan at work and I don't want to have to worry about it.

Making the case mod was simple enough, just a single drilled hole. If I ever need to take it out, the hole can be filled easily. The USB connection is intact too, so I would just remove the electrical tape and disconnect it.

What surprised me was how simple it is to work on this specific computer. For a 10 inch netbook there is a ton of room under the motherboard.

Also, I noticed that putting the computer into standby is disabled when running the MJ software. I solved that by creating a batch file that ends the MJ service, puts windows into standby and then restarts the service when the user resumes from standby. I wrote a guide to it here the other day. http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/mj-as-service-easy-standby-t7491.html.

I don't know what else I can do from here, it seems that I've run out of projects for the MJ. Maybe a battery powered thin client with wifi should be next on my list? What do you think? Edit: Think MID with a phone jack.
Alpman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject:

The rj45 method would not interfere with anything on your work LAN unless you plugged into a POE port, highly unlikely, and with the adapter I mentioned you could still use the MJ while on the LAN. Just thought it would be cool to integrate your idea without any exterior case mods and use any standard corded phone...might try it on my Acer AspireOne D150...hmmm, something to think about. I'd have to buy another MJ to do it though caus all mine are currently in use. It would come in handy if Siphone on my iPhone ever quits. I'm one of the few lucky ones that it still works with...
theunleet
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject:

alp i have mine working with iPico. I posted pictures and a video in a thread I posted yesterday. Also this mod would be cool if it were for rj11 phones, seeing as they are the proprietary these days.
mikend
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Alpman, Yes, you could do it that way. I'd like to see it in a D150 too. The hardest part is finding room for it. Heh.
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject:

That's really cool.
I wish I had a need to tether my MJ to my computer though.
Good concept, but definitely not right for me.
I'd love to hear how this goes *longterm* with you guys (problems that arrise, etc).
jetaray
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Do you think there is any chance it will overheat being inside the case? Also what does everyone think about adding a small toggle/slider switch on one of the USB connection wires to simulate plugging and unplugging the magicJack? Is that even possible? That would facilitate troubleshooting any problems and maybe allow occasional use of the USB port the magicJack is piggy backed to.

Just some ideas, as this has got me thinking about modifying an old Toshiba Portege M200 12 tablet I have. I could transfer the modem port on the tablet to the magicJack to allow connecting any phone.
mikend
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject:

jetaray: There is a switch, I forgot to mention / take a picture of it. The switch is on the grounding wire.
CyberRodentX
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject:

Dumb Question...
Why worry about attaching a physical phone?
If the netbook has to be on (not in sleep/standby/hibernate) - then why not just use the virtual dialer and either a wired headset, or better yet, a bluetooth headset?

I like the idea of the MJ in case... but like to travel light, and just cant see carying a phyical phone around! Smile

Just a question.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:

The phone I travel with is very small,similar to this one but better made,Purchased it at Radio Shack about 5 years ago.

mikend
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject:

CyberRodentX, I have now modified the wiring so that a phone may be plugged into the ethernet jack. Now, when I go to a hotel, I can plug the room's phone into the netbook, and make free calls. And, I run the MJ software as a service, so I don't see the softpad. You can even dial without any users logged in.
techy88
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject:

Thats pretty sweet how much would you charge for a mod like this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: