Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack hardware and software conflicts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bert
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: MagicJack hardware and software conflicts

Back in October of 2011 I posted about some flash drives that were not recognized by W7/64bit as long as MJ was plugged in. If MJ was unplugged the drives were recognized fine.

The program CDBurnerXP crashes as long as MJ is plugged in. Works fine if the MJ is unplugged.

I recently got a Pandigital Novel R90200-5 tablet/reader. Not recognized if MJ is plugged in, recognized fine after restart with MJ unplugged.

I have seen other conflicts referred to elsewhere. It would be helpful to accumulate an extensive list of these conflicts. I invite anyone who has experienced software or hardware conflicts to list them here by posting a reply.

Thanks.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject:

- This is *one* of the reasons why MJ's phasing out sales of its original device and pushing the newer MJ+ for use as a stand-alone.
Bert
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Phasing in MJ+

As I understand it MJ+does solve some problems, but you don't get the advantage of the interface with contacts, calls, etc. That's a real negative for me as I use MJ as a primary phone. Am I wrong about this?
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Phasing in MJ+

Bert wrote:
As I understand it MJ+does solve some problems, but you don't get the advantage of the interface with contacts, calls, etc. That's a real negative for me as I use MJ as a primary phone. Am I wrong about this?

- It depends on whether or not one minds (or needs to be) "tied" to a pc when using a phone, and the type of phone or phone system that one uses with MJ. Many phone systems - including cordless phones - now come with pretty substantial contact memory capabilities built right into them. My (relatively inexpensive) Panasonic 3-handset cordless Dect 6 system, for example, stores up to 3,000 name/number contact entries; its "phonebook" contact entries are actually stored within the base unit and can be entered into it and accessed from any of the handsets, the handsets (and base unit as well) can be set to actually announce the incoming caller's stored name (in addition to displaying it on the handsets) (if the caller's info hasn't yet been stored in the system's memory then their phone number is announced), and the individual handsets (as well as the base unit) have very good speakerphone capability as well. And because I use a MJ+ - which can be set (via one's online account) to emit a "stutter" dialtone when a voicemail message has been left on MJ's voicemail system - my handsets' voicemail indicator lights tell me when there's a message waiting for me (I keep the base unit's answering system turned off, but could use it if I wanted to).

I don't need an ongoing log kept of my calls, so for me the MJ+ used as a stand-alone device - coupled with my particular phone system - offers *everything* that I need/want without being tied to my pc or laptop (for everyday phone purposes I only need to use my computer for access to my MJ account online to set call forwarding when I go out and come back). FYI, the phone system cost me only $70, and I've *already* recouped that $70 via decreased electricity usage (from not having to keep my computer on 24/7).
Bert
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phasing in MJ+

SteveHC wrote:
Bert wrote:

- It depends on whether or not one minds (or needs to be) "tied" to a pc when using a phone, and the type of phone or phone system that one uses with MJ. Many phone systems - including cordless phones - now come with pretty substantial contact memory capabilities built right into them. My (relatively inexpensive) Panasonic 3-handset cordless Dect 6 system, for example, stores up to 3,000 name/number contact entries; its "phonebook" contact entries are actually stored within the base unit and can be entered into it and accessed from any of the handsets, the handsets (and base unit as well) can be set to actually announce the incoming caller's stored name (in addition to displaying it on the handsets) (if the caller's info hasn't yet been stored in the system's memory then their phone number is announced), and the individual handsets (as well as the base unit) have very good speakerphone capability as well. And because I use a MJ+ - which can be set (via one's online account) to emit a "stutter" dialtone when a voicemail message has been left on MJ's voicemail system - my handsets' voicemail indicator lights tell me when there's a message waiting for me (I keep the base unit's answering system turned off, but could use it if I wanted to).

I don't need an ongoing log kept of my calls, so for me the MJ+ used as a stand-alone device - coupled with my particular phone system - offers *everything* that I need/want without being tied to my pc or laptop (for everyday phone purposes I only need to use my computer for access to my MJ account online to set call forwarding when I go out and come back). FYI, the phone system cost me only $70, and I've *already* recouped that $70 via decreased electricity usage (from not having to keep my computer on 24/7).

Thanks SteveHC. Lots of useful information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: