Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack has TAKEN PERMANENT POSSESSION of your computer

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
10Gauge
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: MagicJack has TAKEN PERMANENT POSSESSION of your computer

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'CHarlin'


CHarlin: Hello, how may I help you?

jj: Hi, I want to remove this POS software from my computer.

jj: Are there some instructions somewhere ?

CHarlin: One moment please.

jj: Still there ?

CHarlin: I need to check that out for you.

CHarlin: You mean the Point of sale software?

jj: No - this Piece of SHIT software - the MagicJack software

CHarlin: You want to remove it?May I ask the reason?

jj: Because I moved it to another computer in the house so it would stop interferring with my main system

CHarlin: Okay.

jj: I now need to REMOVE it from my main system but you moron programmers did not include a remove process

jj: Any programming moron knows that you need to do an uninstall file, well, except YOUR idiots

CHarlin: May I know what operating system you're using?

jj: XP sp2

CHarlin: All you have to do is remove the folder named mjusbsp in c:>documents and settings>[your name]>application data

jj: No WAY - you have all kinds of hooks into the OS, the registry, the boot process

jj: and removal of one folder does not fix those

jj: There is also a folder .magicfix under the user name in Docs & Settings

CHarlin: I apologize for the inconvenience Jj.But you can't uninstall magicJack.All you have to do is to just follow the instruction I gave.

jj: I cannot get rid of all the other junk that you installed ? Just the folder ?

jj: You have no process to remove all the OTHER crap ?

CHarlin: I don't want to give you false information Jj.Please hold on while I have to check out of this.

CHarlin: My apologies for this Jj.But you can only remove the folder not the software.

jj: This is not acceptable - please escalate this call or give me a contact number that I can call for a voice conversation

CHarlin: Okay Jj, I will escalate this one to the higher authority.


(Hmmm... wonder who is REALLY going to answer this call now...
"Hi, this is God speaking, Bill Gates can't come to the phone right now, can I take a message for him )


CHarlin: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

jj: Uh, YEAH, can you escalate this or give me a voice phone number ?

CHarlin: I apologize, but we only handle technical chats.We don't have a phone support.

jj: So just HOW does the escalation process WORK ?

CHarlin: I will escalate it to our higher authority.

jj: And THEN what can I expect ?

CHarlin: Can I ask your email address please?

jj: [email protected]

CHarlin: Thank you.

jj: And ?

CHarlin: Our engineers are looking into this issue now.

jj: And will I be notified ?

CHarlin: You chat with us back to notify it.

jj: No idea what that means

CHarlin: As for now you can't remove the magicJack software.

jj: You said that - now back to the 'escalation' - will I be contacted by an engineer or what ?

CHarlin: Please just remove the mjusbps folder if you don't want to use it.

jj: You said THAT too - I still want to know what happens after you ESCALATE this call

CHarlin: Please chat us back for further assistance.

jj: are you in India or Philippines ?

CHarlin: No, we're in Florida.

jj: You learned your ENGLISH in FLORIDA ???

CHarlin: We're very sorry for the inconvenience Jj, but you can't uninstall you magicJack software.You can only remove the mjusbps folder if you will decide not to use it.

[CHarlin: In regards with your concern I will forward this to the higher one.

CHarlin: Since I have not heard from you for some time, I am going to close this chat. If you need any help in the future, please do not hesitate to chat with us again. Good bye.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richardtaur
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 17 Mar 2008
Posts: 123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject:

I think you are bored. Find somethingelse to do, man! No manner at all. May I ask how old you are?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PGPfan
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I have to agree, the OP was rather rude jumping in the chat operator's face like that. I wouldn't have been able to stay calm like the chat operator did. There are several posts on this forum that outline how to remove the software. It's known that it is rather persistent, but I guarantee you that 90+% of all software leaves traces all over the OS, MJ certainly isn't solely to blame here.

Could it be written better? Yes! Could the original poster have done a better job with how he installs software to prevent this? Certainly! How? Any drive imaging software allows you to make a snapshot of your system 'PRIOR' to installing software (like MagicJack) and if you don't like it, you RESTORE your system to it's exact state prior to the software install. Pretty painless, and is a practice everyone should use if they plan on adding more software than what their PC's originally came with.

Some folks just like to hear themselves rant, I guess.

-PGPfan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Posts: 806

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject:

richardtaur wrote:
I think you are bored. Find somethingelse to do, man! No manner at all. May I ask how old you are?


Are they younger than me?
Laughing
peace
Kumar

chat.magichack.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
paulc21269
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MagicJack has TAKEN PERMANENT POSSESSION of your compute

10Gauge wrote:
Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'CHarlin'


CHarlin: Hello, how may I help you?

jj: Hi, I want to remove this POS software from my computer.

jj: Are there some instructions somewhere ?

CHarlin: One moment please.

jj: Still there ?

CHarlin: I need to check that out for you.

CHarlin: You mean the Point of sale software?

jj: No - this Piece of SHIT software - the MagicJack software

CHarlin: You want to remove it?May I ask the reason?

jj: Because I moved it to another computer in the house so it would stop interferring with my main system

CHarlin: Okay.

jj: I now need to REMOVE it from my main system but you moron programmers did not include a remove process

jj: Any programming moron knows that you need to do an uninstall file, well, except YOUR idiots

CHarlin: May I know what operating system you're using?

jj: XP sp2

CHarlin: All you have to do is remove the folder named mjusbsp in c:>documents and settings>[your name]>application data

jj: No WAY - you have all kinds of hooks into the OS, the registry, the boot process

jj: and removal of one folder does not fix those

jj: There is also a folder .magicfix under the user name in Docs & Settings

CHarlin: I apologize for the inconvenience Jj.But you can't uninstall magicJack.All you have to do is to just follow the instruction I gave.

jj: I cannot get rid of all the other junk that you installed ? Just the folder ?

jj: You have no process to remove all the OTHER crap ?

CHarlin: I don't want to give you false information Jj.Please hold on while I have to check out of this.

CHarlin: My apologies for this Jj.But you can only remove the folder not the software.

jj: This is not acceptable - please escalate this call or give me a contact number that I can call for a voice conversation

CHarlin: Okay Jj, I will escalate this one to the higher authority.


(Hmmm... wonder who is REALLY going to answer this call now...
"Hi, this is God speaking, Bill Gates can't come to the phone right now, can I take a message for him )


CHarlin: Is there anything else I may help you with today?

jj: Uh, YEAH, can you escalate this or give me a voice phone number ?

CHarlin: I apologize, but we only handle technical chats.We don't have a phone support.

jj: So just HOW does the escalation process WORK ?

CHarlin: I will escalate it to our higher authority.

jj: And THEN what can I expect ?

CHarlin: Can I ask your email address please?

jj: [email protected]

CHarlin: Thank you.

jj: And ?

CHarlin: Our engineers are looking into this issue now.

jj: And will I be notified ?

CHarlin: You chat with us back to notify it.

jj: No idea what that means

CHarlin: As for now you can't remove the magicJack software.

jj: You said that - now back to the 'escalation' - will I be contacted by an engineer or what ?

CHarlin: Please just remove the mjusbps folder if you don't want to use it.

jj: You said THAT too - I still want to know what happens after you ESCALATE this call

CHarlin: Please chat us back for further assistance.

jj: are you in India or Philippines ?

CHarlin: No, we're in Florida.

jj: You learned your ENGLISH in FLORIDA ???

CHarlin: We're very sorry for the inconvenience Jj, but you can't uninstall you magicJack software.You can only remove the mjusbps folder if you will decide not to use it.

[CHarlin: In regards with your concern I will forward this to the higher one.

CHarlin: Since I have not heard from you for some time, I am going to close this chat. If you need any help in the future, please do not hesitate to chat with us again. Good bye.

Chat InformationChat session has been terminated by the site operator.



Try this Dont back any files up and do a full Format. Now all files will be gone and maybe your access to the internet I hope one day someone treats you like you did to that csr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me


Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Posts: 806

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject:

**Nods** its a bad sterotype.... I myself am indian and i always get "do your parents work for those customer support people"
Peace
Kumar

EDIT: You need to look at the CSR's point of view also. It is not easy to handle so many people at once. Also whenever i think of something controversial, i put myself in the opp sides shoes. How would YOU feel if you were that CSR? That is what they are trained to do and is not there problem.


Last edited by kumar on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sbb
MagicJack User


Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject:

If it is such a POS I would think you would quit using it rather than move it to another PC?!?!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timmage
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject:

The guy is clearly an a-hole. I suggest deletion of this thread. There are many posts about what files to remove to uninstall the device, but a-hole prefers fighting with CSRs instead of using the search function.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ariesjill
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Level wit me....when U go thru security at airports.....they make U take off not only yr shoes....but your FEET, RIGHT?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 328
Location: Greater Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject:

What the hell is that supposed to mean, Aries?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ariesjill
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it was 2 cryptic. Wut I meant was....you emmenate uber anger....like walking incendiary device. So in my free-associative sensibility....I saw you at LAX generating hyper vigilance in the security people....who, might still feel rattled after your taking yr shoes off....and so moved to go a step further.

Is clear now?

Look....life is filled with frustrations....inept CS humans certainly part of this....but it is also not justified to impugn that which, for the most part is a brilliant device unlike any other. Magicjack.

It is not merde.---MJ is pretty amazing and brilliant, actually, the quintessential Better Mousetrap.....so going off on the CS person was, METHINKS not justified, NOT THE INTENSITY oF THE VITRIOLE.

Under all anger is pain. always good to get to the underlying feeling and deal with it. Or do more cardio. lol

Let me know if this is clear yet. If not, I will try to clarify more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 1127
Location: Saint George, UT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject:

kumar wrote:
**Nods** its a bad sterotype.... I myself am indian and i always get "do your parents work for those customer support people"
Peace
Kumar

EDIT: You need to look at the CSR's point of view also. It is not easy to handle so many people at once. Also whenever i think of something controversial, i put myself in the opp sides shoes. How would YOU feel if you were that CSR? That is what they are trained to do and is not there problem.



Kumar, people really say that to you... ??? It is almost hard to believe that anyone could be that callus.

I often get upset with outsourced Technical Support myself. But most of my anger is at the company doing the dirty dead not the guy on the other end of the phone that speaks two or more languages, while I struggle just to get by in English which is my native tounge (I know hard to believe but it is Laughing ).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ariesjill
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject:

HolmanGT wrote:
kumar wrote:
**Nods** its a bad sterotype.... I myself am indian and i always get "do your parents work for those customer support people"
Peace
Kumar

EDIT: You need to look at the CSR's point of view also. It is not easy to handle so many people at once. Also whenever i think of something controversial, i put myself in the opp sides shoes. How would YOU feel if you were that CSR? That is what they are trained to do and is not there problem.



Kumar, people really say that to you... ??? It is almost hard to believe that anyone could be that callus.

I often get upset with outsourced Technical Support myself. But most of my anger is at the company doing the dirty dead not the guy on the other end of the phone that speaks two or more languages, while I struggle just to get by in English which is my native tounge (I know hard to believe but it is Laughing ).


BINGO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 328
Location: Greater Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Aries said:
Code:
Maybe it was 2 cryptic. Wut I meant was....you emmenate uber anger....like walking incendiary device. So in my free-associative sensibility....I saw you at LAX generating hyper vigilance in the security people....who, might still feel rattled after your taking yr shoes off....and so moved to go a step further.


Well, I hope you're talking about the OP, and not me, because I don't think I've been anything but helpful, even when frustrated with my MJ...

But, your point is clearer. I just read what you wrote, and I'm like, "Huh???" I'll admit to being a bit slow today, though. It's been one of those weeks, already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ariesjill
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 138
Location: Manhattan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject:

GuyOnTheAir wrote:
Aries said:
Code:
Maybe it was 2 cryptic. Wut I meant was....you emmenate uber anger....like walking incendiary device. So in my free-associative sensibility....I saw you at LAX generating hyper vigilance in the security people....who, might still feel rattled after your taking yr shoes off....and so moved to go a step further.


Well, I hope you're talking about the OP, and not me, because I don't think I've been anything but helpful, even when frustrated with my MJ...

But, your point is clearer. I just read what you wrote, and I'm like, "Huh???" I'll admit to being a bit slow today, though. It's been one of those weeks, already.


Reasonable......is apparently the eye of the beholder. As for MJ frustration.....I have a War & Peace length thread in this forum which I think it would behoooooove U to read.

Frustration is a part of life; stress is as well....also, PMS if, for you, metaphorically. It is how we RESPOND TO SUCH THINGS....that is the issue and marks us and the outcome. One option is tenacity with a sense of adventure, joyous learning curve no matter how daunting....and always find the funny, AND ALWAYS....count yr BLESSINGS. It will change yr perspective.

And it will save yr adrenal glands.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ecooper333
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 17

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject:

don't shoot the messenger Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 28 Mar 2008
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: UNINSTALL - CLEANER

It would be nice if Magic Jack would develop and post a utility that would completely uninstall MagicJack off the computer, removing all files, folders and registry entries that MagicJack placed on the computer. Call it MagicRemover!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 71
Location: Fort Washington,MD.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Who cares

Hi all

I'm just browsing the posts and things since I've plugged in my new MJ today.

Who really cares if the software does not completely remove itself.

No windows crap does, it's all still there, registry stuff, dll files etc and even folders that stay within your programs folder.

MJ is not different, it sounds like this OP(original poster) just does not like windows at all.
Also you can easily get some sort of orphan file remover like Mcafee which I don't like but it does work well for that.

I don't really even care if a few files get left behind or if some junk is on the computer as long as it does not effect the performance or function of the computer.

How much can really be on there anyhow.

I mean MJ runs on an old 486, and the software installation happens in a short time so what little bit is there is not going to be much anyhow.

Well, thats all know.

Happy phoning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mufon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 296
Location: HIghland Village, Texas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Which POS software does this thread refer too, Windows or MagicJack?

BTW, the Indian people are a significant portion of American culture, I myself am one quarter Navaho.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MagicPhoneMan
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 51
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject:

MJ has taken over nothing. I did full system scans with several anti-virus and spyware programs and it turned up negative. Do you know how much trouble MJ would be in if they installed that crap on your computer? There aren't any pop-up ads either. The only ads are for MJ and its on the softphone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mufon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 296
Location: HIghland Village, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:

MagicPhoneMan wrote:
MJ has taken over nothing. I did full system scans with several anti-virus and spyware programs and it turned up negative. Do you know how much trouble MJ would be in if they installed that crap on your computer? There aren't any pop-up ads either. The only ads are for MJ and its on the softphone


Hmmmm.. I guess about as much trouble as SONY did both times (that I know of) that they bundled software that installed root kits on customers computers.

Okay, I am going to pick on you just a bit, but don't take it personal. You are only expressing an opinion based on your training, the training Microsoft and all the other corporate giants want you to have. You are trained well.

Here's the part you didn't get trained on. It doesn't matter if you use every software tool known to mankind, there are those of us that can take control of your computer and its resources and you will never know unless someone tells you how, period. Let's try to just stay focused on MJ for this example and then this will not take long at all.

Lets start with some hands on info gathering. Plug in your MJ and notice as I am sure you already have, that it creates two mount points and assigns drive letters to them. What I would bet you and your virus scanners don't know is that three mount points were created, not two. Hold that thought.

Just for fun delete , reformat, repartition, do everything you can possibly imagine to wipe the r/w drive, or mount point so that there are no files. Okay, now the other visible mount point is a iso mount, and is read-only. Do all this while disconnected from the network. Now blow away all other MJ software on your machine, including UTSCSI.EXE and get rid of the UTSCSI service. Now, start wireshark or any network sniffer and plug in your MJ. In a few minutes you will notice that UTSCSI.EXE is back, and then you will notice network traffic being generated, trying to "phone home". How can this be? Take my word for it that if you took that same MJ to a machine with a clean install of windows and it will do the same thing. Where did UTSCSI come from then, and what program did it execute. Let me tell you that it is not on that ISO mount. Now you know why you have to have admin privilege to do the initial install of the MJ. This is an example why you should not use your computer logged in as the SU (admin).

So much for the sense of security those malspycrapware detectors provide. We can argue the point of the subject of this thread, but I am going to provide proof that the MJ installs a rootkit on you computer that potentially can do anything the Administrator (id=500) or SU can do even when you are logged in as an ordinary user. I am also going to show you how easy it would be for a third party to use the MJ rootkit to totally F* over your system and anything else it is privileged to use. But not in this post, I have other rats to kill for now. But I will say this, it has everything to do with that third mount point that you and spyware don't know exists and will NEVER find. A full explaination to come later with examples, and a dinky button award for anyone that can at least begin to unravel this mystery before my return. Get your popcorn ready.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MagicPhoneMan
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Posts: 51
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject:

hey dude you need to get out more, its not that serious
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mufon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me


Joined: 25 Jan 2008
Posts: 296
Location: HIghland Village, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject:

MagicPhoneMan wrote:
hey dude you need to get out more, its not that serious


You just don't want a dinky button. Have a fish taco instead, then go have a beer at the Blind Melon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
User3
MagicJack Newbie


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject:

mufon wrote:
MagicPhoneMan wrote:
hey dude you need to get out more, its not that serious


You just don't want a dinky button. Have a fish taco instead, then go have a beer at the Blind Melon.


Some people think that it cant be called spyware if a big companys doing it. Big companys dont do bad things! These people can keep using Kazaa and RealPlayer. As for me, I hope someone develops a 'MJLite' to weed out the poison.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagicBob
magicJack Apprentice


Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Posts: 16
Location: Redwood Empire

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: No Uninstall?

So after reading the past two pages, I guess there is no uninstall for this software?
I don't even have it yet( have been reading up on MJ and issues), but that seems to be poor development of the software. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor


Joined: 25 Mar 2008
Posts: 71
Location: Fort Washington,MD.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: incorrect

Hi

Please re-read the thread, there is no poor development, no leftover software and nothing taking control of the computer.

As you can see this dude, left one post and never came back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB Ultra Turbo Extended Edition Live © 2001-9999, phpBB Group
magicJack and magicJack Plus are trademarks of magicJack LLP. This website is in no way affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by magicJack LLP, and is an unofficial forum for consumers to openly communicate regarding their experiences with the magicJack products.