magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MAGICJACK ORDERING AND SERVICE ARE GUILTY-FALSE ADVERTISING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poconopat
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: MAGICJACK ORDERING AND SERVICE ARE GUILTY-FALSE ADVERTISING Reply with quote

MAGICJACK TV ADVERTISEMENT IN EVERYTHING BUT THE TRUTH !

THEY LIE ABOUT " WE PROMISE WE WILL NOT CHARGE YOU A PENNY UNTIL AFTER YOUR 30 DAYS TRIAL IS UP".

THEY WILL CHARGE YOU 8,497 PENNIES INSTEAD HOWEVER,
IMMEDIATELY TYING UP YOUR FUNDS FOR OVER 30 DAYS OR MORE SHOULD YOU SEEK TO CANCEL OR RETURN IT ,
INSTEAD OF THE TRADITIONAL $1.00 HOLD MOST OTHER COMPANIES CHARGE, JUST TO BE SURE YOUR CARD IS ACTIVE AND WORKING.

THEN, THEY DELAY YOUR CONFIRMATION EMAIL FOR 24 HOURS, GIVING YOU AN HOUR ONLY, TO LOCK IN A CANCELLATION, OR ELSE, YOUR STUCK !!!

THIS "HOLD" WAS NEVER STATED ON THE PHONE WHEN ORDERING, WHICH IS A COMPUTER PROMPT ALL THE WAY. NOT A LIVE OPERATOR TO ASK QUESTIONS FIRST !

NOR IS IT ANYWHERE MENTIONED ON THEIR WEBSITE, WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO GET WHERE YOU NEED TO BE, AND THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBERS TO CALL THEM LIVE, AND THEY WONT GIVE YOU ONE, PERIOD !!!

THIS VIOLATES TRUTH IN ADVERTISING AND IS LOW DOWN AND DIRTY ! SO BEWARE !

THEY WILL TIE UP THE FULL AMOUNT OF $84.97 ON WHATEVER CREDIT CARD YOU MAKE YOUR ORDER WITH, MAKING THOSE FUNDS UNAVAILABLE TO THE CARDHOLDER, FOR THE NEXT 31 DAYS.

ON TOP OF THAT LITTLE UN-TRUTH , THE 2 WEEK SHIPPING TIME IT TAKES TO GET TO YOU, CUTS YOUR TRIAL PERIOD IN HALF.

I TRIED TO IMMEDIATELY CANCEL MY ORDER THE MORNING I ORDERED IT, WITHIN THE HOUR, WHEN I REALIZED HOW THEY BILLED ME IN ADVANCE, AND THEY TOTALLY RAN ME AROUND, WITH NO RESOLUTION. FOR 4 HOURS ON A "LIVE CHAT" WITH NO RESOLUTION, JUST CONSTANT STALLING.

THERE'S NO PHONE TO CALL, NO LIVE PERSON TO SPEAK TO, UNLESS YOU HUNT FOR A " LIVE CHAT " OPERATOR, AND THEY STALL YOU SO BADLY, ( I SPENT 4 HOURS TRYING TO RESOLVE THIS) THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON WOULD THROW UP THEIR HANDS A JUST QUIT TRYING.

I AM REPORTING THEM TO THE B.B.B. THE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE AND LOCAL NEWS STATIONS CONFLICT RESOLUTION .

THEN I AM CALLING MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY, TO GET THIS RESOLVED ! IF THAT FAILS, I WILL SUE THEM AS FAR AS POSSIBLE, AND RUN THEM INTO THE GROUND !

VERY DIRTY BUSINESS PRACTICE,

SO BUYER BEWARE !

DON'T BELIEVE ME ?

ORDER IT, AND SEE FOR YOURSELF ! YOU'LL BE SORRY !!!

I AM ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS !
Pablo123
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

switch to netTALK they are not scum bags like Magic jack, they actually have live support over the phone.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I've had two MJ's that worked marginally well for me. I've since let my subscriptions lapse after using them for three years.

I thought the original post was interesting, although this horse has been beat to death from the early days of the forum. Anymore, when I buy something, I do a quick search for the product name followed by "review" or "scam".

For giggles, I just did a quick search for 'Magic Jack review' and 'Magic Jack scam' thinking I would discover a lot of negative feedback. Not so. What I found mostly high praise. And nothing about their billing practices.

Being the persistent bugger I am, I did a search for complaints and found this: http://magic-jack.pissedconsumer.com/

Again, this is old news but for a new purchase, one of the retail outlets with a good return policy is probably your best bet.

Post Script: This should probably have been posted in Rants & Raves
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go:
http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/magicjack.aspx

215 reports ...

Darkman90808 wrote:
Disclaimer: I've had two MJ's that worked marginally well for me. I've since let my subscriptions lapse after using them for three years.

I thought the original post was interesting, although this horse has been beat to death from the early days of the forum. Anymore, when I buy something, I do a quick search for the product name followed by "review" or "scam".

For giggles, I just did a quick search for 'Magic Jack review' and 'Magic Jack scam' thinking I would discover a lot of negative feedback. Not so. What I found mostly high praise. And nothing about their billing practices.

Being the persistent bugger I am, I did a search for complaints and found this: http://magic-jack.pissedconsumer.com/

Again, this is old news but for a new purchase, one of the retail outlets with a good return policy is probably your best bet.

Post Script: This should probably have been posted in Rants & Raves
scotty200

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry you had trouble but my card only got 1.00 on it then 30 days later the full money was taken so ether you must have had a debit card. then it come off right away but u still get 30 day to return and get the money back

have a good one
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you use a debit card, rather than a credit card, they put a hold on the full amount. They probably do this so they can insure the money is available in the account to charge it after 30 days. So in effect they tie up that money in your bank account they day you place an order with a debit card, but don't actually take it until the 30 days are up.

Dave
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
:

Yeah, that's about where I am right now for a number of reasons. While I do not regret having started with MJ way back I do not think it is a good deal any more. There are better, more workable and less crooked providers.
I am certainly getting rid off one and re-evaluate things in April when the second one is for renewal.
As for the rip off reports : Some of the stuff has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
Quote:
:

Yeah, that's about where I am right now for a number of reasons. While I do not regret having started with MJ way back I do not think it is a good deal any more. There are better, more workable and less crooked providers.
I am certainly getting rid off one and re-evaluate things in April when the second one is for renewal.
As for the rip off reports : Some of the stuff has to be taken with a grain of salt.

I mainly use an OBihai 110 with Google Voice for my calls, I did just renew my mJ for 1 more year mostly to use for 911 calls. I have the mJ plugged into the line port of my 110. I looked at using other ITSPs for 911, none were really cheaper than mJ, so I bit the bullet and renewed 1 more time.

Dave
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mainly use an OBihai 110 with Google Voice for my calls, I did just renew my mJ for 1 more year mostly to use for 911 calls. I have the mJ plugged into the line port of my 110. I looked at using other ITSPs for 911, none were really cheaper than mJ, so I bit the bullet and renewed 1 more time.

If you are using MJ through Obi, does it mean that you have MJ plus?
BTW how are you satisfied with GV/Obi as far as call quality/reliability ( I know, ISP is the most important factor anyway).
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
If you are using MJ through Obi, does it mean that you have MJ plus?
BTW how are you satisfied with GV/Obi as far as call quality/reliability ( I know, ISP is the most important factor anyway).

I have the original mJ, its attached to an old IBM Thinkpad notebook (P3, 192MB RAM), I have a phone cable running between the mJ and my OBi110, the 110 has a line port to attach to POTS I just plug my mJ into it.

I have been very impressed with GV and the OBi110. Reliability and quality are as good as, acutally it probably better than, my mJ. I use it as my main home phone, and I like having the ability to make calls with my cell using my GV #. An the OBiON app for my Android phone also allows me to use the data plan on my cell to connect to my OBi and make, or answer calls, through any of the services I have configured in the OBi I have sitting at home. As I said earlier, I rarely ever use my mJ anymore, it is mostly for my 911 service now (I have my OBi configured to route any 911 calls through the line port which is attached to my mJ).

Dave
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I rarely ever use my mJ anymore, it is mostly for my 911 service now (I have my OBi configured to route any 911 calls through the line port which is attached to my mJ).

Although MJ -at least in theory- provides for 911 location, considered it's reliability I would rather use my cell phone for that. Sad
scotty200

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it wold not be a good idea to use mj for 911 if power gos out your out of luck here i keep a old cell for that as here in Canada u can use the cell for 911 even with out service i don't know if that the same in the USA and other contrary?

have a good one
peterinco
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is interesting that the original poster has made only one post.

- I looked around the web too before ordering and learned mostly good things.

- I agree--ranters can be very suspect. They do not constitute what you could call representative and unbiased marketing research.

- I believe that when I ordered MJ+ last week a credit, not debit, card was required.

- For me, one week into the "trial," all holds have been removed from my credit card.

- I was real impressed with the fulfillment (even researched the fulfillment vendor). Mine arrived in Colorado in two days.

- Some rants here are pretty difficult to pursue. False advertising is awfully hard to pinpoint and protest; the BBB is voluntary and has little clout; your local/state attorney general would have to receive many, many complaints over a long period of time to pursue a protracted action. Very hard to believe you would really sue over $80-some. Personally, my credit card company will probably just eat it/remove it before it ever gets to that point. magicJack is in the news and local media investigators may be interesting; seemingly, though, they'll uncover a lot of happy customers too.

- I was intrigued by the FCC logo on the magicJack web page. I have worked in local and cellular telecom (plus I have a very strong background in customer satisfaction and law). They have clout, and they have/at least they used to have, an online form for complaints. Again, direct compensation/resolution for an individual is not exactly likely. I don't really know how this product fits within their authority.

Sorry if I'm a little new here. I am very interested in the recommended competitors of MJ. I'll look around and read what I can. Any more suggestions?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterinco wrote:
I was intrigued by the FCC logo on the magicJack web page. I have worked in local and cellular telecom (plus I have a very strong background in customer satisfaction and law). They have clout, and they have/at least they used to have, an online form for complaints. Again, direct compensation/resolution for an individual is not exactly likely. I don't really know how this product fits within their authority.
Don't take this as gospel. But I believe that it has been reported here, or somewhere, that the FCC seal in MJ's case is referring only to the device having passed FCC muster. That it won't bring down an airliner, or whatever they test for electronically these days.

peterinco wrote:
I am very interested in the recommended competitors of MJ. I'll look around and read what I can. Any more suggestions?
There is a whole section in this forum devoted to other options. You will find good suggestions in there.
Kif Kroker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotty200 wrote:
I think it wold not be a good idea to use mj for 911 if power gos out your out of luck here i keep a old cell for that as here in Canada u can use the cell for 911 even with out service i don't know if that the same in the USA and other contrary?

have a good one

This would be a problem with 911 for any VoIP. I live in a rural area, with a rural phone company (Long Lines, used to be called Northwest Iowa Telephone Company) as the only POTS provider that can service me. I do not think they offer that ability to have 911 working even when I don't have service with them anymore , and besides, cost was not the only reason I moved away from them. Every time it rained my phone had a lot of static, service went down often, I even disconnected the wire coming from the ground and attached a phone to it to prove to them the static and issues were on their side, they never were able to fix it. I also had DSL from them and every time I would get a call my DSL would cut out. I can tell you that since I switched to cable internet and VoIP phone service I have had far fewer problem than I did with Long Lines.

I do have a cell phone, but my house is in a valley and it is not very reliable while in my house. I have to go out side to get a good enough signal to make and receive calls most of the time. And old cell phones are able to dial 911 here in the US, in fact I keep an old cell phone with a car charger in each of my vehicles for an emergency.

One way to make a setup like mine more reliable is to have a UPS attached to your modem, router and computer the mJ is on. My mJ is on an old notebook which also has its own battery.

Now anyone, without knowledge of my current setup, can just pick up my phone and call 911, it doesn't require anyone to think first about which phone can be used for 911 and which can't. I don't know about how reliable mJ's 911 service is, since I have never had to use it, but I also have not heard of any problems with it either. I would think if their 911 did not work mJ would be setting themselves up for large lawsuits.

Dave
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While I do not regret having started with MJ way back I do not think it is a good deal any more. There are better, more workable and less crooked providers.

I thought MJ was great sport when it first came out. Alas, Dan took away all the fun stuff, like caller ID spoofing. Of course I temporarily lost a few friends who wearied of being QC guinea pigs for my new toy. But it was a fun learning experience.

These days I'm satisfied with my Ooma/Skype/Google Voice set up, probably for about as long as it will take Microsoft to muck up Skype. And we'll have to see if Ooma survives. And whether Google continues to support Google Voice or lets it go the way of Gizmo 5. But, in the immortal words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow's another day".
jtay1700
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MAGICJACK ORDERING AND SERVICE ARE GUILTY-FALSE ADVERTI Reply with quote

poconopat wrote:
MAGICJACK TV ADVERTISEMENT IN EVERYTHING BUT THE TRUTH !

THEY LIE ABOUT " WE PROMISE WE WILL NOT CHARGE YOU A PENNY UNTIL AFTER YOUR 30 DAYS TRIAL IS UP".

IMMEDIATELY TYING UP YOUR FUNDS FOR OVER 30 DAYS OR MORE SHOULD YOU SEEK TO CANCEL OR RETURN IT ,
INSTEAD OF THE TRADITIONAL $1.00 HOLD MOST OTHER COMPANIES CHARGE, JUST TO BE SURE YOUR CARD IS ACTIVE AND WORKING.

THEN, THEY DELAY YOUR CONFIRMATION EMAIL FOR 24 HOURS, GIVING YOU AN HOUR ONLY, TO LOCK IN A CANCELLATION, OR ELSE, YOUR STUCK !!!

THIS "HOLD" WAS NEVER STATED ON THE PHONE WHEN ORDERING, WHICH IS A COMPUTER PROMPT ALL THE WAY. NOT A LIVE OPERATOR TO ASK QUESTIONS FIRST !

NOR IS IT ANYWHERE MENTIONED ON THEIR WEBSITE, WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO GET WHERE YOU NEED TO BE, AND THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBERS TO CALL THEM LIVE, AND THEY WONT GIVE YOU ONE, PERIOD !!!

THIS VIOLATES TRUTH IN ADVERTISING AND IS LOW DOWN AND DIRTY ! SO BEWARE !

THEY WILL TIE UP THE FULL AMOUNT OF $84.97 ON WHATEVER CREDIT CARD YOU MAKE YOUR ORDER WITH, MAKING THOSE FUNDS UNAVAILABLE TO THE CARDHOLDER, FOR THE NEXT 31 DAYS.

ON TOP OF THAT LITTLE UN-TRUTH , THE 2 WEEK SHIPPING TIME IT TAKES TO GET TO YOU, CUTS YOUR TRIAL PERIOD IN HALF.

I TRIED TO IMMEDIATELY CANCEL MY ORDER THE MORNING I ORDERED IT, WITHIN THE HOUR, WHEN I REALIZED HOW THEY BILLED ME IN ADVANCE, AND THEY TOTALLY RAN ME AROUND, WITH NO RESOLUTION. FOR 4 HOURS ON A "LIVE CHAT" WITH NO RESOLUTION, JUST CONSTANT STALLING.

THERE'S NO PHONE TO CALL, NO LIVE PERSON TO SPEAK TO, UNLESS YOU HUNT FOR A " LIVE CHAT " OPERATOR, AND THEY STALL YOU SO BADLY, ( I SPENT 4 HOURS TRYING TO RESOLVE THIS) THAT THE AVERAGE PERSON WOULD THROW UP THEIR HANDS A JUST QUIT TRYING.

I AM REPORTING THEM TO THE B.B.B. THE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE AND LOCAL NEWS STATIONS CONFLICT RESOLUTION .

THEN I AM CALLING MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY, TO GET THIS RESOLVED ! IF THAT FAILS, I WILL SUE THEM AS FAR AS POSSIBLE, AND RUN THEM INTO THE GROUND !

VERY DIRTY BUSINESS PRACTICE,

SO BUYER BEWARE !

DON'T BELIEVE ME ?

ORDER IT, AND SEE FOR YOURSELF ! YOU'LL BE SORRY !!!

[b]I AM ABSOLUTELY FURIOUS !

Here is couple phone numbers that might get you thru to them....
561-594-9925 or 561-594-2140
jtay1700
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is couple phone numbers that might get you thru to them....
561-594-9925 or 561-594-2140
peterinco
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: tv ad Reply with quote

Last night I saw one of the quickie television ads for magicJack Plus AND $19.95 per year. The price per year, as we all know, is 50% higher.

It is pretty strange to have nationwide tv ads, be a publicly-traded company, have--they claim--over 8 million customers, and do that...
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tv ad Reply with quote

peterinco wrote:
Last night I saw one of the quickie television ads for magicJack Plus AND $19.95 per year. The price per year, as we all know, is 50% higher.

It is pretty strange to have nationwide tv ads, be a publicly-traded company, have--they claim--over 8 million customers, and do that...

I THINK I read here that is the 5 year per year breakdown if you pre pay for 5 years.

I could be wrong, but yes I agree they should state the CURRENT per year renewal price.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: tv ad Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
I THINK I read here that is the 5 year per year breakdown if you pre pay for 5 years.

That is the way it works.

In the ads I have seen, the guy says "as low as", but they show the $19.95 with no such disclaimer.
jtay1700
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought MJ+ online couple weeks ago.....Got here in 3 days.....Paid 69.95 for it and had my home phone number ported with no hassle...19.95 to have it done...its a one time fee.
Yearly renewal is 29.95. Have it hooked up to my Netgear router.
All phones in the house work with it.....two cordless and two wall phones.
All have good dial tone. Voice quality is good-no echos or beeping.
I know this sounds like an MJ+ advertisment, but im' just telling it like it is with my experience.

The cons are: Caller ID show only the number. Names don't show up.
Call waiting does not show. No name, no number. Just a sound to let you know someone is calling while you're talking on the phone.
All in all, im satisfied with it. - Saving me around 40.00 a month. Very Happy
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: only 8 bucks in their account should not buy anything Reply with quote

You must be joking ?

The complaints about being charged 8 bucks ? REALLY ?

And yes if you use a debit card and YOU provide your card information ANYWHERE typically there is a hold on the account for SOME amount

UPS does it until the actual charges go through sometimes appears to be a double charge on ever package we ship, however it's a paypal hold in actuality and not really UPS at all.

Pensky Trucks, U-haul, Enterprise rental cars etc.

This has nothing to do with mj and their processing portion but it's your bank that does this and handles transactions a certain way.

Some banks do not show you up front these holds and charges because they way for the actual settlement to occur which is more proper way of doing an authorization.

This has some to do with the authorization process and the clearing house too but mostly the way YOUR bank recognizes this topic and shows you the information

On a true credit card many times you don't even see this information show on your credit card until the actual charge/settlement occurs and thus you would never even know anything about it because these line items do not appear on your statement.

Only debit cards have this topic and only banks that deduct the authorization amounts from the account and show it to the customers.

And so if there is a hold it's because of the bank, and don't let the bank fool you because they will tell you it's the vender, and the vender will tell you it's the bank and then you have to decide who you believe.

But if you yourself become a vendor or seller of things and accept debit cards you will know this and how it really works.
MrMGA
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MAGICJACK ORDERING AND SERVICE ARE GUILTY-FALSE ADVERTI Reply with quote

[quote="poconopat"][size=24][color=red][b]MAGICJACK TV ADVERTISEMENT IN EVERYTHING BUT THE TRUTH ![/b][/color][/size]

THEY LIE ABOUT " [size=18][color=red]WE PROMISE WE WILL NOT CHARGE YOU A PENNY UNTIL AFTER YOUR 30 DAYS TRIAL IS UP"[/color][/size].

NOR IS IT ANYWHERE MENTIONED ON THEIR WEBSITE, WHICH IS DIFFICULT TO GET WHERE YOU NEED TO BE, AND THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBERS TO CALL THEM LIVE, AND THEY WONT GIVE YOU ONE, PERIOD !!![/quote]

Actually, this "hold" policy IS mentioned on their web site in the billing FAQs:

[i]Your credit card company or bank may place a temporary "hold" on the transaction amount to secure the funds when the order is eventually completed. This "hold" also ensure that you may not go over your credit limit.

We do not process any charges until the 30 Day Trial Period has expired.

PLEASE contact your credit card company if you need more details or have a specific question regarding the temporary "hold" on your credit card account.[/i]

I don't think MJ crosses the line into false advertising, but they're getting close...
hblauer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: magicjack+ order Reply with quote

Ordered on 12/1, received on 12/5. Paid by debit card. site stated that debits cards will be charged. Will probably try out tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: