magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus and Netgear WNDR 4500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus and Netgear WNDR 4500 Reply with quote

HI all

Does anyone have magicjack plus working consistently on a Netgear N900 (WNDR4500) router?

My magicjack plus worked flawlessly on my old linksys router without any port forwarding or tinkering at all...it was literally plug and play.

However, after weeks of trouble shooting with the Netgear router, I am unable to get a consistent connection. I am getting the error 23 issue with completely random intermittent connection issues.

I have tried all the suggestions ( port forwarding, dmz, qos and a few others) to no avail.

Therefore, I am looking for anyone who has a working magicjack plus with the Netgear WNDR 4500 router.

If anyone has this router working properly please respond

Thanks for the help

Foz
ruderthanyou
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a WNDR4000 and I'm not having any issues with my MJ+. I know it's not your exact router, but since nobody has responded I though I would chime in since this is probably the closest relative to your 4500.

I did configure QoS with it's MAC address as added insurance.

Since you've already tried all the obvious stuff, maybe you have something in the router setup that causing a problem. Have you tried resetting the router settings to default?

I know you've probably already done that, but I can't think of anything else aside of testing it with another 4500.
MJ User
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MJ+ connected to a Netgear 3700 router and have no issues at all.
Melman
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Netgear 3400 N600 and my MJ+ works flawless without any issues or problems. I would reset your router to default and start over. Also at least once a month I try and reboot everything, like my router, turn the power off on everything and turn it back on.

Melman
Windows 7
MSI FX720
HBB1
Comcast ISP
30 Mbps Download Speed
5 Mbps Upload Speed
kedwards
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Netgear WGR614 router that I installed last fall. It was new to me, but a refurbished unit bought on close-out. I have not had any problems using my magicJack Plus plugged into it.

I have also tested my magicJack Plus at a friend's house and at my son's house, plugged into their routers, and it has worked fine.

I made no updates to my router, for my magicJack Plus. My Netgear automatically checks for the newest firmware available, each time you log onto the router (default setting).

Keith
foz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey All

Thanks for all the replies.

I would still like to confirm someone actually has mj+ working with the 4500.

In the meantime since others are not having any issues on similar routers, I will do another reset and set up mac and qos and port forward etc. one more time.

Anyone with a 4500 please respond.

I also may contact Netgear to see if they can help any...maybe there is an issue with the firmware with the new router.

Foz
foz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

MJ+ is still not working with WNDR4500. I just recently upgraded to firmware V1.0.0.103_1.0.21 with no positve results.

I have opened up a support ticket with Netgear and the issue has also now been sent to the MagicJack Engineers.

Will update when something changes.

Still looking for a working WNDR4500 and mj+ combo. Please post if you have had either positve or negative results with this combo.

Thanks
Foz
jbowdach
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had very negative results, MAINLY what the failure of QOS on this router (WNDR4500). Despite Using Port and Mac address QOS settings, the router refuses to give MagicJack first priority which kills telephone calls due to the latency. I literally cant get the QoS to function at all, which kills the magicjack due to lack of bandwidth and latency. Any suggestions? Unfortunately, we cannot use DD WRT or Tomato yet so were stucj with stock firmawre
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that router, but did you try DOWNGRADING your MJ+ firmware? When I downgraded, my dropped calls issue disappeared.

See this thread for more details:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-plus-update-files-t12336.html
Joe_
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mh1983,
The MediaFire link to the October 2011 firmware doesn't have the firmware anymore. I know because I tried going to it. Nevertheless, you will see from my last post in that thread that I found the problem.

@jbowdach and foz,
I have my MJ+ working directly from a Lan port of my WNDR 3400 V1 and haven't encountered any issues other than what I mentioned in that other thread.

Now, I don't have the WNDR 4500 so I can't really speak about issues with that router. However, I will go so far as to say that most people upgrade the firmware on their router without giving it a thought. I suppose they do this because they feel that "the latest could only be the greatest". The downside is that since firmware is created by humans, it could have bugs. Personally, I haven't upgraded my router's firmware in over a year - and I don't intend to do so once I don't have any problems. Even if I were to consider upgrading, I would read the "Release Notes" first to see if it deals with something I'm interested in. For that matter, Cisco specifically advises persons not to upgrade their firmware unless they have a reason to do so.

Perhaps what you can try is to revert the router's firmware to an earlier version (if there is one) and see if that resolves your issue. Just make sure you follow all the recommended procedures if you decide to reflash the firmware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: