magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack plus connected to modem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shells
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Magicjack plus connected to modem Reply with quote

I have seen a few refferences to using the new magicjack plus connected to the modem and or router. I have run out of room on my router. How safe is it to connect it to the modem. Has anyone done this and what were the results
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you have only ONE Ethernet jack on your modem - which is already connected to your router?
shells
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: SteveHC Reply with quote

You're correct,there is only 1 port on the back. There is a usb also on the back of the modem and that is what I felt. Didn't look at the back. Embarassed Could the Magicjack Plus be connected to that usb port ? without damaging anything and still run Magicjack Plus with the computer off ? Don't want to damage anything.......Thanks again for the prompt reply
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connecting your MJ+ to a USB port on your modem *shouldn't* damage it but neither will it enable the MJ+ to function.

To resolve your problem you will probably want to consider purchasing and installing a device that would effectively provide your router with additional Ethernet jacks (such as an Ethernet switch, an additional router or Wi-Fi access point that connects with your current router, or what have you). Eventually the new MJ+'s will have Wi-Fi connectability but who knows when that will happen.
shells
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: SteveHC Reply with quote

Thanks again. I will check into adding a additional router
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: SteveHC Reply with quote

shells wrote:

I would definitely dissuade you from adding an extra router to your layout. It will absolutely complicate your life and compromise your sanity.
Stick with a 'hub' or unmanaged switch. These inert devices do nothing more than provide for extra RJ45 ethernet ports where you can extend your network.
SteveHC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SteveHC Reply with quote

crackerjack wrote:
shells wrote:

I would definitely dissuade you from adding an extra router to your layout. It will absolutely complicate your life and compromise your sanity.
Stick with a 'hub' or unmanaged switch. These inert devices do nothing more than provide for extra RJ45 ethernet ports where you can extend your network.

I really wish manufacturers would start putting out residential wireless routers with more than 4 Ethernet ports on them.
KMNugent52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: SteveHC Reply with quote

Quote:
I really wish manufacturers would start putting out residential wireless routers with more than 4 Ethernet ports on them.

Buy and inexpensive Hub or Switch to easily add more ports to your existing router.

HTH -Kevin N.
shells
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: SteveHC Reply with quote

You are correct. I did some checking last night and that adding a hub is the best way to go and less expensive. Do you think it makes a difference what brand ? I was going to try a get a hub as the same name brand as my router. I have a Linksys/Cisco router.....Again thanks
KMNugent52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a 3-com hub for years and more recently a Dynex (Best Buy Brand) They both work flawlessly.
shells
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: KMNugent52 Reply with quote

Thank you for your input. I will check it out
greenman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like tweaking your own router, this is one of the best:
ASUS RT-N16 Wireless Router 802.11b/g/n up to 300Mbps DD-WRT Open Source support with USB Storage, Printer And Media Server

I've got mine set up with open-source alternative firmware from tomato-usb, toastman build. the shibby build is fairly popular too.
http://toastmanfirmware.yolasite.com/

I also like this switch:
TP-LINK TL-SG1008D 10/100/1000Mbps Unmanaged 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: