magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magicjack Plus Ripoff - Do not purchase additional years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguazzo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Magicjack Plus Ripoff - Do not purchase additional years Reply with quote

I bought the 5 year extended service plan for magicjack and asked to have the remaining 4 years transfered to my new Magicjack Plus account. I was told that Magicjack Plus is a new product I will lose the 4 years of left over service. There is no benefit to buying additional years of service if you just forfeit years everytime magicjack decides to make a small change. The following is a transcript of my inquiry with a magicjack representitive: Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Jared'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554012150105X

Jared: Hello, how may I help you?

aldo guazzo: I just ordered a new Magicjack Plus. But I also have about 4 years of service on my regular Magicjack. Will I be able to transfer my service from my magicjack to my magicjack Plus?

Jared: No. Years cannot be transferred from magicJack to magicJack PLUS, as these are two different products.

aldo guazzo: So if I port my number from my old magicjack to the new one I will lose 4 years of service. that doesn't make sence. Why would anybody ever want to buy extra years of service if your going to lose them every time your product changes a little bit. I think that is grossly unfair on Magicjack's part.

Jared: Yes, I understand. But unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to transfer your remaining years of service from magicJack to magicJack Plus. That's also our policy and we must stick to it.

aldo guazzo: Well I need to post this information on one of the local forums. People need to know the down side if they buy additional years of service; that they will lose the years if they ever need to upgrade a devise.

Jared: Ok, no problem. But I believe I've already provided the info you needed and it seems that we're getting no where. I'll end this chat now. Goodbye.

Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Magicjack Plus Ripoff - Do not purchase additional years Reply with quote

aguazzo wrote:
I bought the 5 year extended service plan for magicjack and asked to have the remaining 4 years transfered to my new Magicjack Plus account. I was told that Magicjack Plus is a new product I will lose the 4 years of left over service. There is no benefit to buying additional years of service if you just forfeit years everytime magicjack decides to make a small change. The following is a transcript of my inquiry with a magicjack representitive: Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Jared'

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK554012150105X

Jared: Hello, how may I help you?

aldo guazzo: I just ordered a new Magicjack Plus. But I also have about 4 years of service on my regular Magicjack. Will I be able to transfer my service from my magicjack to my magicjack Plus?

Jared: No. Years cannot be transferred from magicJack to magicJack PLUS, as these are two different products.

aldo guazzo: So if I port my number from my old magicjack to the new one I will lose 4 years of service. that doesn't make sence. Why would anybody ever want to buy extra years of service if your going to lose them every time your product changes a little bit. I think that is grossly unfair on Magicjack's part.

Jared: Yes, I understand. But unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to transfer your remaining years of service from magicJack to magicJack Plus. That's also our policy and we must stick to it.

aldo guazzo: Well I need to post this information on one of the local forums. People need to know the down side if they buy additional years of service; that they will lose the years if they ever need to upgrade a devise.

Jared: Ok, no problem. But I believe I've already provided the info you needed and it seems that we're getting no where. I'll end this chat now. Goodbye.

Since we haven't heard from you, we must release this chat. Please click here should you need further assistance: www.magicJack.com/techchat

As been mentioned in other places in this forum ( search IS your friend) you can keep the same number with your MJ plus as your org MJ and use them BOTH at the same time. This way you still get to use the rest of your years on the MJ. Just be aware your Plus will expire in a year while your orig MJ will have the rest of whatever is left of your 5 years on it..

Only way around it..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your MJ+ is in it's 30 day trial period I would return it asap. Being you have 4 years left on your regular MJ I would recommend getting a thin client to use with it. You can also get 3rd party software such as magicfeatures that give MJ great enhancements that are not available with MJ+.
nicraz
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's free to make their decision, but that's why I don't recommend buying the 5 year pack. You just never know what's going to happen later on. Like sabrefan said, I would return the MJ+ if I was you.
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the five year plan is a great deal considering it's only $100, I pay Verizon wireless around $100 a month just for a cell phone and 700 mins.

Yeah it sucks they won't let you transfer your MJ subscription to the MJ+

Also if your old MJ worked good for you no way would I send back the PLUS unit.
Darkbob
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MJ Plus yearly rate is $29.95 while the regular MJ is only $19.95. That's why you can't buy 5 years on the MJ and transfer them to the MJ Plus. If you could, I'd just go and buy a bunch of years on my MJ and fire them over to my Plus and save the $10 a year.

Still at either $29 or $19 it's a smokin deal.

And remember you can keep your MJ and run it at the same time you run your MJ Plus so you get a 2nd line. Or you could give your old MJ to a friend or family member.

--DB
Jacked_Up
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Thin Client? Reply with quote

Hello @ sabresfan,

Can you explain more about the thin client? Can this be used as a standalone to run a regular Magicjack?

Thanks very much!
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi @ Jacked_Up

There lot of info in this forum about thin clients just go to that part of the forum and u will get all the info u need

a thin client is just a small computer that u can use to run MJ it use's way less power then on a normal computer. but it has to have XP-E on it for MJ to work! i know u will find all the info on this forum u need to get the one that will work for your needs .

have a good one
Agent_86
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Just enjoy 2 phones lines it was certainly cheap enough Reply with quote

I understand the complaint, but it certainly is cheap enough

There is still a huge benefit in having a NO computer required device

For those who use MJ as their only home phone service, in which I also forward to my cell when not at home.

In this case the laptop that is running does not use much electricity but it does use some.

In comparison the new MJ plus device will use much less electricity then the laptop or computer and thus overall the cost of the new MJ plus will be absorbed by the subsequent electric costs of a laptop or computer.

I realise this is not perfect, however it does justify the cost topic and yet not directly addresses the subject of what to do with the old device/phone number/laptop running the old device

If it were me I would enjoy the new Plus version and turn off the old device and enjoy the electric savings and continued phone service savings and move on from this topic.

I agree there should be some allowance for services that you already paid for, however you may consider that there is only so much you can do and provide for a customer for years worth of phone services and a device for $59.00 bucks.

If it were your business how much profit could there be left ? And how much would you as a business be willing to give away in order to roll out a new and improved product that does not require a computer.

Old customers will have to look forward to the improvement or simply enjoy what they have until their service runs out and then take advantage of the service.

It's not like you do not have any services now, but simply feel that you should get a benefit from already having service with the old device, but there may simply not be enough profit there to do that and cover the cost of the device and thus all previous customers would be considered a lost profit and would not justify even rolling out the new product for existing customers.

Anyhow just some thoughts on this topics to consider.
Sorry for the long response

Hope this helps

Happy phone savings
jeffnyc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orig MJ was great when you could get the credentials and use it with an ata. But that was a hack, and hacks end and that was why it was a bad deal to buy the 5 years... which I ignorantly did.. I think it was only $60 bucks. Even at $20 a year I felt it was only good for like a year so I think about $40 was pretty wasted, though I still have some value in the number and its 212 which is a hard to get area code.

To use the plus w/o a computer is not a hack so it should work the way you intended for 5 years. Basically it is the same cost as 3 years and 4 months (starting a year from now) so if you use it at least that long you will not lose by the 5 year plan.

I just wish they would offer some way of transferring, even if it was at a 50% rate. In other word, I have 3 years left on my Orig MJ, let me trade it for a year and a half on +.

Even with the promo price for existing customers ($44 shipped), I am not really gonna invest more $$$ in MJ when I have a working solution with GV and ATA so I do not really need it. I am tempted bc it is cheap but again, these internet forums always encourage me to spend on stuff I do not need.

Plus, I leave my pc on all the time anyway and having incoming calls forwarded gets me by though hardly anyone calls my mj number anyway

I agree with the thin client suggestion, if like me you have more than 2 years left on your 5 year plan.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think the five year plan is a great deal considering it's only $100, I pay Verizon wireless around $100 a month just for a cell phone and 700 mins.

Yeah it sucks they won't let you transfer your MJ subscription to the MJ+

Also if your old MJ worked good for you no way would I send back the PLUS unit

Rolling Eyes
Enjoy the jacked magic shill!
100$ a months for 700 minutes with verizon wireless ?? They are bad, but not that bad.
What about Obi/GV service for free with far better quality? What about all the other options?
And off course, Dan does not want you to send back that stupid Plus, baad for business!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
TransferCutter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF...Dan was a good businessman and respected his customers, he would allow you to pay the difference of $10.00 per year and transfer over your remaining years.

But that's a big IF and the world's not perfect.
Pablo123

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a clown: http://deadspin.com/5863448/i-expected-nothing-less-from-a-bunch-of-blithering-idiots-the-angry-emails-that-helped-cost-boca-raton-its-all+star-pro-soccer-team
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to good Ole Mel on the infomercial ... it only $19.95 per year for renewal ...

Mel lying again???

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:
According to good Ole Mel on the infomercial ... it only $19.95 per year for renewal ...

Mel lying again???

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

The screen says $19.95, but Mel says "as low as 19.95", which it apparently is if you renew for 5 years.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:

The screen says $19.95, but Mel says "as low as 19.95", which it apparently is if you renew for 5 years.

Mel using the old "slight of info mouth" trick ...
flew
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why would I spend over $100 to get a thin client to save $60 worth of old Magicjack service?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: