magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Plus shuts down regularly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Hirsch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus shuts down regularly Reply with quote

I got my MagicJack Plus about 4 months ago. I use it directly connected to my router, since the wireless option was not yet available. I do not use it via it the USB connection to my computer, but via a network cable to my router.

It installed fine, and seemed to be working properly. But it continues to have a serious problem. After plugging in the power module for the unit, the phone works properly. But shortly after, with the time ranging from hours to a day or so, the unit suddenly stops working, and when I go to make a call, I get an audio message "ERROR".

If I then unplug the power module, and then plug it right back into the AC wall socket, the unit returns to normal operation. But then, within a few hours or more, the problem returns. Simply unplugging and then replugging into the wall outlet, restores operation. On several occasions, the unit stopped working during a connected voice conversation. So I had to unplug, and replug, and remake the call.

This has happened about 60 times since I got the unit. And every instance was "fixable" by unplugging and replugging. The unit has a good strong network connection, directly to my router, as does my main computer. I have very fast download and upload speeds via my Comcast Internet connection. I have tried many different network cables, but that made no difference.

Since I never know when the unit will go down, I cannot consider ever using the MJ Plus to replace a landline.

The original unit I got from MJ did not work at all, and this unit is a replacement for that unit. I'm a very experienced computer person, and I'm also very disappointed at the performance of the MJ Plus.

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? I would seem that the unit has a built in failure mode, but why unplugging and replugging solves the problem each time is very strange.

Ron Hirsch
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your mjp connected directly to your modem and see if it loses connection. Many people are having problems with certain routers being compatible with mjp. Another thing to try is to place your MJP in your routers DMZ zone bypassing your routers security.
Ron Hirsch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: MJ Plus keeps shutting down Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using a very widely used Linksys router. Even if the MJ did work without shutting down, when connected to the modem, that really wouldn't solve the problem, as I would not want to have to keep it connected there.

And, I would think that if there was a specific router problem, that the unit would not workk forr up to a day or two before failing.

Originally, MJ was also offering wi-fi capability, but that did not materialize. And the hard wired MJ Plus was also delayed for many months, apparently for bugs ti be resolved. In my veiw, there are still bugs there.

The bottom line here for me is that MJ will not remain in my future activities beyond this first year.
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linksys routers are known to have difficulties with MJ. You could see if your routers firmware is up to date and see if that helps. Others here have placed their MJP in the routers DMZ zone and that has solved the router conflict. It stinks that there is no one cure for problems like this but these type of problems happen with other providers as well. The big difference with them is they offer better customer support not script readers.
Ron Hirsch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: MJ problems Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

Considering that Linksys is a very widely used brand of router, it would seem to me that the problem here is that the engineers at MJ have done a poor job of designing their product.

And, as you've noted the support at MJ is far from good.

After several emails back and forth from MJ about my problem, MJ just stopped talking to me.

I recognize that their pricing is very cheap. But "cheap" is no good without quality and support.

I do not plan to work on my network to try and get it to work with MJ. It performs perfectly with all my home computers, and also provides an excellent wireless capability in my home, with good security.

It has worked flawlessly since I installed it. And I don't feel that users should have to modify their properly working devices to get an improperly working device to be compatible.

While it is possible that setting up MJ in a DMZ zone might work, I really don't want to do that

So MJ will end up being history with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: