magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack Plus still working reliably after about a year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Plus still working reliably after about a year Reply with quote

- Between fixing problems with my house's cable wiring (problems that I was previously unaware of); getting my cable ISP to properly maintain my neighborhood's local node; powering down then back up my modem, router and MJ+ in the proper order once per week; using the little USB extension cord to connect it to its a.c. adapter; NOT screwing around with my router's port settings etc.; and using good Ethernet cables and a solid UPS power supply for the whole shebang I've probably been having at least 99% reliability.

Not bad for $20 or $30/year! For awhile I really thought I'd have to dump MJ, but now it looks like a keeper. I certainly hope it stays that way.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ for 20 $/year net total? That's ancient history. And certainly not with MJ plus, even if you do not need call forwarding or do not need to call any of those numerous numbers MJ charges for.
99% reliability?. If it means that the service somehow works 99% of the time then yes. If it means that it has 99% of the time service comparable to real VOIP providers than certainly not .
You might be one of the small minority of people who due to local issues do not get the FREE Google voice through Obi, GV Jack or Simonics in quality far surpassing MJ. You may also have a callling pattern which makes companies like Localphone more expensive than MJ plus.
All possible. At least good to know that there is one informed customer out there who keeps on sticking to Magic Jack after having tested all the alternatives.
Cool
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
MJ for 20 $/year net total? That's ancient history. And certainly not with MJ plus, even if you do not need call forwarding or do not need to call any of those numerous numbers MJ charges for.
99% reliability?. If it means that the service somehow works 99% of the time then yes. If it means that it has 99% of the time service comparable to real VOIP providers than certainly not .
You might be one of the small minority of people who due to local issues do not get the FREE Google voice through Obi, GV Jack or Simonics in quality far surpassing MJ. You may also have a callling pattern which makes companies like Localphone more expensive than MJ plus.
All possible. At least good to know that there is one informed customer out there who keeps on sticking to Magic Jack after having tested all the alternatives.
Cool

- $20/year "net total" absolutely is NOT "history" - including for the MJ+ - a 5-yr. subscription for $100 comes out to $20/yr. And 99% reliability is 99% reliability, period. As far as Google Voice, no-name providers and whatnot, sorry again but I'm just not a fan - CRAP audio quality, at least in my area, and most people aren't going to even bother with outfits like Localphone. Have to admit, though, that which VOIP service is best for which consumer can often be dependent upon theb combination of one's geographical area, quality of one's Internet service, calling pattern and desired features, LAN hardware/setup, and desired price range. For me, having tried many different VOIP services, MJ continues to be the best (believe it or not) as well as the least expensive of all of the paid services (but customer service and tech support still sucks).
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

- $20/year "net total" absolutely is NOT "history" - including for the MJ+ - a 5-yr. subscription for $100 comes out to $20/yr. And 99% reliability is 99% reliability, period. As far as Google Voice, no-name providers and whatnot, sorry again but I'm just not a fan - CRAP audio quality, at least in my area, and most people aren't going to even bother with outfits like Localphone. Have to admit, though, that which VOIP service is best for which consumer can often be dependent upon theb combination of one's geographical area, quality of one's Internet service, calling pattern and desired features, LAN hardware/setup, and desired price range. For me, having tried many different VOIP services, MJ continues to be the best (believe it or not) as well as the least expensive of all of the paid services (but customer service and tech support still sucks).

It IS history because we are talking about a yearly subscription not about some 5 year rip off many people got burned with. And I said net- no phony" regulatory fees" of 4.8% which you conveniently forgot to mention.
As I said, it IS possible that you have issues with Google Voice due to your local ISP. IF that's the case you are part of a small minority and you know that. IF your MJ provides consistently a better call quality than GV you are a part of a even smaller minority.
To call a company which just won the 2013 U.K.industry award for VOIP an ' outfit' tells us something.
Most people will not bother with '" outfits" because they are not aware of the existence of those " outfits". Smaller, decent VOIP companies do not have a tremendous advertising power nor do they like to use unethical deceptive practices MJ is famous for. That's why most of those people are stuck with things like Magic Jack or Nettalk.
But hey, if it works for you, why not?
SteveHC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cell14 wrote:
But hey, if it works for you, why not?

- That's sort of my point.

Smaller, less well-known paid VOIP companies, as a group, kind of developed a reputation of "here one day, gone the next;" consequently the general population has been largely staying away from them and going for MJ, NetTalk, OOMA and GV instead. And due to the incredibly wide variety of technical and hardware variables involved, no one voip provider works best for everybody everywhere, plain and simple. So unfortunately it's still a trial-and-error type of situation for every consumer. In my case, MJ works better - and its audio sounds better - than even much higher-priced OOMA (who would've guessed? Certainly not me!).

While I've been getting 99% reliability with MJ, I know other folks in other locales that have been getting 100% reliability - and with NO need to reboot hardware on a routine basis. But for others, it's been terrible, and for those folks who need to call phone numbers that require a pre-paid per-minute fee on a regular or frequent basis I'd think it would be a no-go on that basis alone.

Of course, I'm referring to the "general" telecom consumer and not "hobbyists" or people who are particularly tech savvy.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveHC wrote:

Smaller, less well-known paid VOIP companies, as a group, kind of developed a reputation of "here one day, gone the next;" consequently the general population has been largely staying away from them and going for MJ, NetTalk, OOMA and GV instead.

I have to strongly disagree on that. Companies like Callcentric, Voip.ms, Anveo, Voxbeam, Localphone and many others are rock solid, in business for a good while and have a sounder business model than MJ, Nettalk or ( most certainly) Ooma. Google voice is a different story but knowing Google, they may change their mind and turn 180 degrees at any time. And while there were some fly by nighters, considered the volatility of this line of business, the industry certainly does not have the type of 'here one day, gone the next' reputation. It is really the lack of advertising power - average folks do not want to go for things they never heard of.
One real issue is the equipment configuration. The general public wants a plug and play device .BYOD SIP providers have to do , together with the hardware manufacturers, a better job serving the general , tech illiterate public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: