magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack requires me to erase it before it starts up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigh.no.more
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: MagicJack requires me to erase it before it starts up Reply with quote

I'm not a "techy" but I will try to explain the problem with my magicjack. When I plug it into my usb the magicjack seems to function normally. A window pops up and tells me to double click the application icon to start up. When I double click the magicjack icon it begins to start up but then fails and returns back to the "start magicjack" window. It reports no errors, just won't start up. If I go to disk utilities and erase the magicjack, it then will startup and function correctly, except, of course, my address book and call logs are erased. I feel like this should be an easy problem to fix, but the online chat support can not help. I'm running a MacBook 10.5.7. Any ideas? Thanks!
3abx03
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: MJ Reply with quote

Before you erase select:
17.7 MB Tigejet HardDick Media
Under "Volume Format" select MS-DOS (FAT)
Click erase. Then run update.
Hope it helps. Very Happy
chadmd23
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to format with both MS-DOS and other Mac formats, and every time I reboot, I have to erase and run the upgrade from my desktop.

Does anyone have a real fix for this?
Magicjacktechsupport
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Mac upgrade after formatting ?

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.dmg

Make sure you are not using USB extension cord that came with magicjack.

Try different USB ports and if this does not resolve your issue , update USB drivers and finally use AC Power USB hub
chadmd23
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magicjacktechsupport wrote:
Have you tried Mac upgrade after formatting ?

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.dmg

Make sure you are not using USB extension cord that came with magicjack.

Try different USB ports and if this does not resolve your issue , update USB drivers and finally use AC Power USB hub

Yes, I have to run the update every time I format the magicjack. It is plugged directly into my computer.
SoulReapeR
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ Reply with quote

3abx03 wrote:
Before you erase select:
17.7 MB Tigejet HardDick Media
Under "Volume Format" select MS-DOS (FAT)
Click erase. Then run update.

After running the update the MagicJack application
ran, requested my e-mail and password and was
running OK except that my contacts and call log
were erased.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANTů

After it is running Command-click on the running
MagicJack application and it will show you where
it installed the updated version which is in

~/.magicJack/Softphone/magicjack.app

You can either make an alias with Command-L
or simple Click-drag the running app icon on your
dock to a different order inside the dock so it will
make a permanent alias to it.

From now on to start your MagicJack simply
click on the icon on your dock or on the alias
you created, NOT on the icon inside the window
that opens when you first plug in the USB dongle,
as that is the outdated version that fails on launch.

I hope this helps other Mac users.

SoulReapeR
DocLove
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack requires me to erase it before it starts up Reply with quote

sigh.no.more wrote:
I'm not a "techy" but I will try to explain the problem with my magicjack. When I plug it into my usb the magicjack seems to function normally. A window pops up and tells me to double click the application icon to start up. When I double click the magicjack icon it begins to start up but then fails and returns back to the "start magicjack" window. It reports no errors, just won't start up. If I go to disk utilities and erase the magicjack, it then will startup and function correctly, except, of course, my address book and call logs are erased. I feel like this should be an easy problem to fix, but the online chat support can not help. I'm running a MacBook 10.5.7. Any ideas? Thanks!

I had the same problem on my (Mac pro quad core duo) running either Leopard 10.5.8 or Snow Leopard running 10.6.2) . My MJack START window would appear, and after double clicking it, it would cycle back to the START window again; BUT if I erased it (etc) then it would work ONE TIME (as long as I did NOT QUIT the MJack). The next time I booted the Mac then I had to erase it (under Disk Utility) again. (BTW, save a copy of your PHONE folder Addresses ). Anyway to make a long story short, the problem was the USB DRIVER was either missing OR was damaged OR inadequate.
cjfbio2
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack requires me to erase it before it starts up Reply with quote

I have the same problem.. only works if i reformat.. how do you fix it?
late 2008 macbook pro running snow leopard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: