magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MagicJack Runs Natively on Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hondo
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: MagicJack Runs Natively on Linux Reply with quote

In a recent attempt to configure MagicJack to work with Asterisk, I discovered MagicJack does work natively with Linux a lot easier than thought.

SYSTEM INFORMATION:
CPU(s): Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
RAM: 2GB
Kernel: 2.6.27-17-generic
Distribution: Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10

DISCLAIMER: The following information is purely for educational purposes as it could potentially violate the Terms of Service. This site and/or the author are not responsible for what action(s), you, the reader takes with this information. By reading and/or should you take action with the following information, you, the reader agree to hold harmless this site and/or the author. If you disagree, do not read the following.

Prerequisites
MagicJack
MagicJack Credentials (Google Stroth's Utilies)
Linux (preferably with a kernel version of 2.6.27 or higher)
Ekiga softphone

Directions
    1. Plug in MagicJack
    2. Start Ekiga
    3. Click Edit / Accounts / Add+
    4. For the account name, you can name it anything
    5. Select SIP for the Protocol
    6. Registrar is your MagicJack proxy address (ex: proxy1.CITYNAME.talk4free.com:5070)
    7. User is your MagicJack number with E appended to the beginning and 01 appended to the end (ex: Exxxxxxxxxx01)
    8. Password is your MagicJack alpha-numeric password which is 20 characters long.
    9. Click OK
    10. Click Edit / Preferences
    11. Select Audio Devices
    12. For your Output and Input device, select USB Internet Phone by TigerJet

I was unable to use the dialpad on my phone, but was able to use the Ekiga dialpad.

Now as I stated earlier, I was attempting to get MagicJack working with Asterisk; therefore, the Dahdi modules from Digium might be required.
javaTN
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to do this but for the life of me I can not figure out how to get my 20 character password! I have tried dumping the password and using Stroth's Utilities... no method is working for me! Even when I packet sniff I cant find anything.

How can I get this password?!
lunavic50
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive done all of this exept the dahli modules....

No luck,,,

Anyone elase getting this to work?
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Boy, are you confused!!! Reply with quote

Hondo wrote:

Directions
    1. Plug in MagicJack
    2. Start Ekiga
    3. Click Edit / Accounts / Add+
    4. For the account name, you can name it anything
    5. Select SIP for the Protocol
    6. Registrar is your MagicJack proxy address (ex: proxy1.CITYNAME.talk4free.com:5070)
    7. User is your MagicJack number with E appended to the beginning and 01 appended to the end (ex: Exxxxxxxxxx01)
    8. Password is your MagicJack alpha-numeric password which is 20 characters long.
    9. Click OK
    10. Click Edit / Preferences
    11. Select Audio Devices
    12. For your Output and Input device, select USB Internet Phone by TigerJet

I was unable to use the dialpad on my phone, but was able to use the Ekiga dialpad.

ONLY VIABLE SOLUTION FOR USING PHONE HANDSET IS TO GET AN ATA LIKE PAP2T AND REGISTER IT TO YOUR ASTERISK SERVER OR CONFIGURE IT WITH YOUR SIP CREDENTIALS

Your wishful thinking and flawed logic starting with step 12 above, is giving false hope to those whose goal is to use the MJ dongle in the traditional way but in a 'nix environment.

Your inclusion of, and reference to MJ dongle hardware in the above narrative is a "Red Herring" and removing it from the system will not have any effect.

The best you will do is use the Ekiga softphone with a headset. A telephone handset connected to MJ dongle's RJ45 jack will NEVER be an option. Step 12 should reference your pc's native sound card, not TigerJet.

The process you have described is a confusing mixture of using MJ SIP credentials along with using the MJ dongle as an audio device. Instead of selecting the USB internet phone by TigerJet, use your actual soundcard.
That you cannot dial with the phone handset is perfectly reasonable as the MJ dongle hardware and associated hardware has not been recognized/activated by your OS. You will NEVER be able to dial from your phone handset unless you are able to interject the proper drivers into your 'nix system, (potentially doable) and convince MJ/YMAX to send 'nix appropriate command software to your MJ dongle, which likelihood is ZERO.
genxweb
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that want to do this and can not figure out how to retrieve their SIP info their is countless docs out there how to do this as well as people like myself that provide remote retrieval.

I been running on on Linux now for 6 months and I have about 12 dozen customers all running on Linux.

Most of my customers run either Trixbox PBX or PBX in a Flash all Linux based asterisk solutions. I also have several friends just running it off their linux laptops with soft phones.

To add to crackjacks comment about using a analog phone. There is one other way by buying a diginum fxs card and putting that into the asterisk box you can then feed analog to the whole house. The only down fall that the card runs for 120 + dollars for a true card and not a clone.
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genxweb wrote:
For those that want to do this and can not figure out how to retrieve their SIP info their is countless docs out there how to do this as well as people like myself that provide remote retrieval.

I been running on on Linux now for 6 months and I have about 12 dozen customers all running on Linux.

Most of my customers run either Trixbox PBX or PBX in a Flash all Linux based asterisk solutions. I also have several friends just running it off their linux laptops with soft phones.

To add to crackjacks comment about using a analog phone. There is one other way by buying a diginum fxs card and putting that into the asterisk box you can then feed analog to the whole house. The only down fall that the card runs for 120 + dollars for a true card and not a clone.

You owe it to members of the great unwashed that may not be aware that you ARE NOT running the MJ dongle in a native 'nix environment.
You are simply employing the MJ account credentials, extracted from the MJ physical hardware which is likely gathering dust, on a 'nix software platform.
You should not be misleading people tp think their MJ hardware will operate outside of a MS Windows/MacOS environment.

Kudos for running MJ accounts on Asterisk but that has no bearing on the topic of the OP.
mountaineer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else been able to get the Ekiga & MagicJack combo to work? I've followed the steps as noted above, but no luck. Would it require the use of the mjproxy for Linux?

I
crackerjack
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountaineer wrote:
Has anyone else been able to get the Ekiga & MagicJack combo to work? I've followed the steps as noted above, but no luck. Would it require the use of the mjproxy for Linux?

I

Probably, unless proven otherwise. This is dependent wholly on the vintage/version of your MJ dongle and its software. As to now, there is no means other than trial and error to establish the need for mjproxy (on whichever platform you decide to deploy it).
mountaineer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after a bit of experimenting, I managed to get Ekiga and MJ working by utilizing mjproxy. I was also able to do the same for Xlite as well. I'll do a bit more testing today and post the results and instructions a bit later.

By the way, I've also figured out a way to ease and speed up the process of searching for the MJ password in pndumps. More about that later as well.
mountaineer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm still testing the Ekiga & mjproxy combo, but here's what I've got so far.

Note: I'm using Ekiga without plugging in the dongle and accessing the MJ sound system as Hondo has done. I simply configure Ekiga to use my PC sound system. It works fine with a headset.

Step 1: Start mjproxy

mjproxy 192.168.2.100 5070 proxy01.yourcity.talk4free.com 5070 MJ_password

Since I have a dedicated IP behind my router, I've used that (192.168.2.100).

Check that it's up and running with: ps -ax

Step 2: Configure Ekiga MJ Sip account

Start Ekiga

Edit --> Accounts --> Add SIP Account

Name: anything you like
Registrar: use the IP address of (proxy01.yourcity.talk4free.com)
User: EXXXXXXXXXX01
Authentication User: EXXXXXXXXXX01
Password: your pw

Step 3: Configure Ekiga to use mjproxy

Edit --> Preferences --> Protocols --> SIP Settings

Outbound Proxy: enter the IP you used for mjproxy, ie 192.168.2.100:5070

Step 4: Test

To place a call, enter SIP:xxxxxxxxx@proxy01.yourcity.talk4free.com

Note: Once you configure Ekiga to use the mjproxy, it will be used for all the accounts you've configured. That means that you'll have to toggle your outbound proxy settings each time you wish to use Ekiga with another configured account. That's a hassle for sure. The Ekiga developers are considering a solution that will allow each account to be configured with it's own proxy rather than relying on the global proxy as it stands now: See here: [url] http://tinyurl.com/27rh8qp
[/url]
speedyftp
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Wishes Reply with quote

I wish I could figure out how either of you have managed this. I've confirmed that I have working credentials using X-Lite and MJMD5 on Windows, but for many reasons, I'd rather have the whole thing working on Linux.

I set this up as both mountaineer and the original poster specified... and I've used it with/without mjproxy (following mountaineer's instructions). I get no joy either way.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how I can troubleshoot.

I'm running Ubuntu Karmic on a Lenovo lappy. Ekiga is version 3.2.5. And whether I use Ekiga configured without mjproxy, Ekiga configured to use it as a proxy, or Ekiga configured to use the mjproxy address as the Registrar, the response is always the same: "User is not available"
mountaineer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the correct IP with MJProxy? I would try using Wireshark to see if you can glean some more information. Start Wireshark first, then Ekiga or Xlite for Linux. I use Xlite on Linux daily and it's working fine.
speedyftp
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: xlite? how about twinkle? Reply with quote

I tried Xlite, but it seems to want pretty old libraries on my system. It was a bust.

But I also tried twinkle, and while the interface isn't much, it worked! Like your description of the Ekiga setup, I choose the MJ proxy as my domain (proxy01.CITY.talk4free.com) and set up a SIP proxy that pointed to my localhost and the port I used for mjproxy.

Twinkle wouldn't have been my first choice for clients, but at least it proves that my mjproxy setup is working. Now I can try to figure out what libraries I need for Xlite, or what I've messed up in my Ekiga configuration!

Thanks for the reply,
mountaineer
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought. Do you have an ekiga.net account activated in Ekiga. You can check via: Edit --> Accounts. In the account window, a check box appears next to each entry. Only the MJ account you use should be checked off. Uncheck any other accounts such as an ekiga.net account.

Good luck
speedyftp
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: No Ekiga Reply with quote

I don't have an ekiga .net account activated. And I only have one account with a check in the check box... There are 2 accounts there, one where I used the talk4free proxy as the registrar and one where I tried to fill in the localhost (mjproxy) as the registrar. Neither worked.

After reading your post, I just enabled the one where the talk4free proxy is the registrar and set the localhost (mjproxy) as the proxy server.

Sadly, neither has worked, but Twinkle seems to be doing the job well enough. I can't dial from the handset, but once I get connected I can use the handset for DTMF tones for voice response systems, or whatever.

Thanks again!

Edit: The error when calling a number using the format: "SIP:xxxxxxxxx@proxy01.yourcity.talk4free.com" is "Security check failed"
swalter718
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 0.0.0.0 as your IP address on the mjproxy command line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: