magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Service Creator v2.3 and Windows 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahwolfe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Service Creator v2.3 and Windows 10 Reply with quote

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and figured I'd test out Evan Vaughn's MagicJack Service Creator v2.3 to see if it would work. I'm pleased to say that so far I've not had any trouble.

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Professional 32bit. The PC is just about 5 years old and I'm still using one of the first generation MagicJack devices (and yes I mean the ones from way back when the As Seen on TV ads were still running Shocked Wink ).

Ok, so first things first, I had already been using MSC prior to the OS upgrade and it was working fabulously. However given the age of the PC (and my MagicJack) I figured I'd better test it's functionality in Win10 in case I had to replace something. I used MSC to uninstall the Windows service after which the UI launched automatically and the auto-update executed. The update completed successfully and I was able to use the phone to both call out and receive calls without issue. I was also able to successfully send and receive faxes using the HP Fax Back system. I noticed Caller ID didn't appear to be working but I believe that is unrelated to the topic here. I then launched MSC and used it to install the Windows Service again. The UI disappeared and the Windows service was up and active. I then confirmed that I could still call and receive calls and faxes.

Based upon my very limited testing it looks like MSC v2.3 will work to set MJ as a service in Windows 10. However I cannot confirm that this will work with every system and MagicJack device. My post assumes all necessary hardware and its associated drivers/software (i.e. Fax Modem, Multifunction Device, MS Fax, etc.) have already been installed and configured. Individual results may very and are the sole responsibility of the individual following what's documented in this post. Very Happy

Hope it helps! Cool
ahwolfe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Updated Observations Reply with quote

Just thought I'd make an observational update to my original post.

I've noticed that occasionally - with the Gen 1 devices - that the registry entry that specifies the preferred device (either "telephone" or "handset") is not always set correctly or perhaps it would be more accurate to say it gets reset if the device is plugged in or disconnected and reconnected while the system is powered on. For me, this results in the preferred device being reset to "handset" and then the computer rings every time I get a call which is pretty annoying.

The only way I have found to work around the issue is to use the MJSC app to uninstall the service, go into the registry and manually change the registry key value back to "telephone" and then reinstall the service again.

The keys in question are:
Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\talk4free\USB Softphone\magicJack.SoundDevices\Preferred

Code:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\magicJack.SoundDevices\Preferred

Code:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\talk4free\USB Softphone\magicJack.SoundDevices\Preferred

Note that the keys identified above may not be the only keys or even the same ones where this value has been reset.

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. This post assumes the reader has a full working knowledge of the Windows Operating System Registry and uses the information provided above at their own risk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: