magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Software Version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelIrwin
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Software Version Reply with quote

One of the basic tenants of software release management is creating a versioning system so that everyone from the programmers and software developers to the support people and the end users have knowledge of exactly what software they are using. Back from day 1 of Microsoft Windows in 1985 (and on the Mac and many thousands of other devices using menuing and graphical interface systems) is that the version number is placed in the graphical interface. If that interface includes a menuing system, then the standard is to put it in "HELP ABOUT".

As we know, the main MagicJack interface does not have a HELP ABOUT - in fact clicking on help launches a web page.

Now the main software generally gets the 'version number' from a 'resource' inside one of the executable files. I am grateful that the MagicJack written executables all seem to have the same number sequence as a 'version property' (or 'resource' as programmers call it), in the executables. So I would assume therefore, that looking at the version number of those files, provides me with the knowledge of the MagicJack software version.

I was going to confirm it here but just for 'fun', I decided to check it out with MagicJack tech support. THE TRUTH CAN BE FUNNIER THAN FICTION! I am relatively sure that many support people there not only don't know much about support MagicJack but I question if they even have the basic computer skills -- I really started laughing when the support person thought the version number I saw hovering over the file was an IP address!

For your 'entertainment' (I suppose... lol), below is the conversation I had with them on this topic.

(I spent 23 years evaluating technologies for Exxon and went to my first windows programming course in 1988 - Windows 286/386 -- I left IT in 2000 and am now a film/tv scorer/arranger/orchestrator/composer)

Enjoy,
Joel

================

Chat InformationPlease wait for a site operator to respond.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Dennis'

Dennis: Hello, how may I help you?

Dennis: How are you?

Joel Irwin: dumb question - how do I determine what version of the software I have?

Dennis: You can check that one if it is Vista or XP?

Joel Irwin: huh?

Dennis: By clicking the windows statt button

Dennis: start**

Joel Irwin: almost every windows program in existence displays its version number in HELP ABOUT - magicjack does not have that option.

Dennis: Okay

Joel Irwin: so how do i tell what version of magicjack software I have - the VERSION NUMBER

Dennis: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.

Chat InformationPlease wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.

Chat InformationYou are now chatting with 'Roxy'

Roxy: Hello Joel!

Roxy: My name is Roxy and I'll be assisting you.

Joel Irwin: I dont get how your front line people can't answer this simple question - what version of software do I have!

Roxy: My apologize for that Joel.

Joel Irwin: So what is the answer?

Roxy: magicJack will work with any computer with Windows XP, Vista, or Intel based MAC operating system (at least version 10.4.10).

Joel Irwin: do you understand the question??????????????

Roxy: I am sorry but can you be more specific with your question please?

Joel Irwin: 99% of the software has a help about menu item to tell me what version of the software I am running. Magicjack DOES NOT - so how do I tell

what version it is?

Roxy: I'm sorry for that Joel.

Joel Irwin: what is the answer please.

Roxy: magicJack has a Software Ver: 20090619000002

Joel Irwin: not what you have -- what do I HAVE!

Roxy: That is the new update software version for your magicJack Joel.

Joel Irwin: OK - you don't seem to understand. I am running MagicJack software on this machine. Correct? And all software (hopefully if your programmers

tagged the software with a version number) has a VERSION NUMBER. So how do I determine what the version number of the CURRENT magicjack software I am

running?

Roxy: That software of your magicJack will only be shown here in our end Joel.

Joel Irwin: rubbish. I can at least look at the version number in the Magicjack.exe file inj ...\appdata\roaming\mjusbsp. Is that the software?

Roxy: There is only one Software Version of every magicJack device that we have. And that is Software Ver: 20090619000002

Roxy: No.

Joel Irwin: huh? magicjack.exe is not the file I am running?

Roxy: Our programmers only set up one Software Version on every magicJack devices Joel.

Roxy: No, that is not what I am referring to.

Joel Irwin: what is 1.80.494.4?

Roxy: What you want is a Software Version,correct?

Joel Irwin: is that a software version?

Roxy: 1.80.494.4 could be your ISP IP address.

Joel Irwin: ok - don't make me laugh.... i hovered over the magicjack.exe file in windows explorer and that is the version number displayed.

Roxy: We have the most updated version of magicJack and that is Software Ver: 20090619000002

Joel Irwin: so what is 1.80.494.4?

Joel Irwin: the magicjack.exe file has a date of 6/19/09

Roxy: You said, "i hovered over the magicjack.exe file in windows explorer and that is the version number displayed".

Roxy: Can you give me the URL to that?

Roxy: "the magicjack.exe file has a date of 6/19/09", 06/28/2009 is the date when was your magicJack software last updated.

Joel Irwin: What are you talking about? I was in Windows explorer, went to the file \appdata\roaming\mjusbsp\magicjack.exe and looked at the properties.

This IS A FILE!

Joel Irwin: Are you saying this is not the software that displays on my PC?

Roxy: That could be possible and we don't have information about 1.80.494.4 that you have seen in there. Software Ver: 20090619000002 is the most

update version of your magicJack device and nothing else.

Joel Irwin: Can see you magicjack.exe on your own machine?

Roxy: Yes, Joel and the information I have given to you is what I have seen here in our end.

Roxy: It should not be a problem.

Joel Irwin: please go to that file and tell me what the version number of that file is.

Roxy: I have it here in my computer screen. Software Ver: 20090619000002

Joel Irwin: Can you go into windows explorer and tell me what the version number is for that file, please.

Roxy: Yes, the information I have posted above is what we have here in our end. Could you close all your open window in there and try to open it again

and if possible delete all your cache and cookies.

Joel Irwin: Look, Windows came out in 1985. I took my first windows programming course in 1988. It is STANDARD PROCEDURE for the last 25 years if you

are a programmer that your software gets a version number so people can tell what they have BEFORE they upgrade. Is Magicjack.exe the software that

displays on my screen?

Roxy: MagicJack.exe is not a software that displays on your screen, magicJack.exe is the common filename extension denoting an executable file (a

program) in the DOS, OpenVMS, Microsoft Windows.

Joel Irwin: What is the name of the FILE that display the phone on my screen?

Roxy: It should display a Ready to Call message.

Joel Irwin: Can you answer the question? What is THE FILENAME?

Roxy: File name is the name given to a computer file in order to distinguish it from other files.

Roxy: to identify a file and its contents.

Roxy: .

Roxy: Would that be all for today?>

Joel Irwin: Hey look - I have a master and part PHD in computer science - I started programming in 1970 -- that's before most of your call center was

born. Please don't lecture me on computers. I merely want to know the name of the software that displays? Can you tell me the name of the file?

Roxy: I'm sorry but I just answered your question above that is "What is THE FILENAME? was that your question? I'm sorry if I misunderstood it.

Joel Irwin: your software appears to be the collection of files in the foler mjusbsp. Correct?

Roxy: Exactly.

Joel Irwin: and when i upgrade your software, the files in that folder are the ones that are replaced. Correct?

Roxy: Can you tell me what is the problem or are you having problem with your magicJack with regards to make and receive calls?

Joel Irwin: I am trying to determine what the "version" of MagicJack is, since people in various places on the Internet who discuss magicjack talk about

different versions. So how do they know which version is which?

Roxy: Okay, I will pull up the information for you.

Roxy: Are you able to hold?

Joel Irwin: what are you going to pull up? the answer to my original question which is "how do I know what version of MagicJack I have"?

Roxy: I have posted the answer to question so many times above.

Roxy: Do I need to post it again?

Roxy: I am more than willing to post it again.

Roxy: Okay, I will post it again.

Joel Irwin: since your software interface has no option to display a version as is a WINDOWS STANDARD, then the only other place the version exists is

within the files/software themselves. So you have to tell me WHICH FILE is responsible for displaying the main interface.

Roxy: Okay, let me check that for you. Please hold.

Joel Irwin: there are 4 EXEs and 5 DLLs in that folder - which one is it?

Roxy: Okay, name the 4 Exe's that you have in there.

Joel Irwin: i can but don't you have a magicjack there?

Roxy: And the 5DLLs as well.

Roxy: I need to check if we have the same file.

Roxy: Is that a problem?

Joel Irwin: the files don't change - magicjacksplash.exe, magicjack.exe, cdloader2.exe and magicjackloader.exe

Joel Irwin: the desktop icon started with magicjackloader.exe.

Joel Irwin: all four files seem to have the same version number - do you see that - something to do with the digits 1804944 with periods in different

spots.

Roxy: No, I don't have information on it but I can make a report on this and submit it to the system admins but unfortunately they are not available

this time.

Joel Irwin: ok I give up - users should have the information about what version of software they are running. Your software does not provide that and I

believe the version numbers are embedded in the executables by your programmers as they should be but you can not confirm that and don't even seem to

understand what I am talking about.

Roxy: I understand how you feel about it Joel and I am sorry if I could not provide any information with regards to your specific concern.

Joel Irwin: I have programmed for 40 years and was in support for Exxon for 10 of those and all our techs seemed to have a good understanding about

software release management and apparantly not in your call center. You have a great day. Sorry you could not be of any assistance.

Roxy: That is so nice to know Joel.

I was going to first ask the question here but
synchron
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was funny but also sad in a way. I feel sorry for Roxy but at least all these techs have the patience to be so polite.

They are obviously trained to specify the folder name as a statement of version number. All the versions and prior versions are located here (bear in mind this link sometimes doesn't work half the time, probably due to server load):

http://upgrades.talk4free.com/upgrade/

I'm a 20+ year test engineer (mostly H/W but occasionally S/W) and we are always required to display version numbers on the GUI and even Help->About... is not acceptable practice. But in my career, I'm surprised that most vendors don't want to even offer support on their product unless you update to the latest version and, believe me, it gets very frustrating when the newer/latest and greatest has more bugs than the older versions.

Mj obviously wants to be in control and force you to upgrade to the latest software, in this case, 06/19/09.

Synchron Cool
delphinus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel- I also think Roxy is polite.....too polite.... to be human. Could be a smart bot trying to answer your questions based on specific strings of questions being asked. I wouldn't doubt if it were true. That would, at the very least, explain the ridiculous responses, suggestions and substandard tech 'support.'

I am new to this forum and have the infamous beeping problem. I am now trying to 'downgrade' to fix the problem (seems oxymoronic to downgrade to improve quality). I can downgrade successfully using the links to older versions you provided (thank you) however, do you or anyone else know how to prevent the automatic upgrade that happens the first time it connects after the downgrade? I could not find anything in this forum. Thanks much.

Dan (Not the Dan from magicJack)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: