magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack Tech Support Link

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: MagicJack Tech Support Link Reply with quote

MagicJack Tech Support Chat

http://tinyurl.com/27pzpm

MagicJack Recovery Program
http://www.magicjack.com/site/downloads/mjrecover_setup.exe

Last edited by laserjobs on Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, perfect...this is gonna save me some time when I wanna chat, but not go through the stupid portal...
Thanks
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
teano1
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack Tech Support Link Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
MagicJack Tech Support Chat

http://tinyurl.com/27pzpm

Hello,
have tried it but no tech available after 30 minutes waiting ,I told them to email me .
gnimsh
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to get through to them once last week, and have since then waited a total of about 3 hours and no one has joined to talk to me, its very frustrating!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MagiclyJackedUp
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Finally got through Reply with quote

Thanks for the direct link to Customer Service. Now I know why I was "on cue" last night. They were not even open. Got through this morning, they had a server problem, chat hours are Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm Eastern time, Weekends 10am to 2pm, Apparently International calling should be available next week.

Oh, my MagicJack is working this morning.

Has anyone experienced this type of outage before? I am just trying to get a feel of the reliability.

Thanks
digitalnomad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think at this point, it is best to use MJ as a back up, or make sure you haveanother VoIP service when MJ serivce is down.

I like JAJAH because it also uses a regular phone, but you can also use a cell phone, and you don't need to be near a computer.

Combine all 3 with a GrandCentral Number.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you config jahja with some ATA or is it just click2call?
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
msiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Check out voipvoip Reply with quote

Check out voipvoip.com I signed up yesterday after looking them over for a few week or so.. They offer byod and their rates are at 3c a minute right now but are changing to 1.9c a min in two weeks, all incoming calls are free.. Hmm.. That aint too bad, you can also port a number the service is $7 a month for an incoming number, free without , just pay as you go. They even help you with your ATA. I don't know what the long haul quality of the service is yet, but so far the calls have been clear, It is VERY easy to set up and the people are very personable to speak with when asking questions.. I decided to sign up so that I could get away form Teleblend and keep my # They tell me that it should take 30 days, but, they say it has happened in 7 days..I guess I'll know when it happens, and I will report back. That was the best deal I found while checking around. joiphone had a lot of complaints with it, and wasn't much cheaper than a year with anyone else, voipvoip.com lets you leave anytime with no contract, and they will even supply an ata if you need one for $30..unlocked and you keep it.Let me know what you think.. I have a 30 day trial with it..Just curious, anybody tried them before??
SpamBox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time hearing about them, but keep us updated. Will have to do some checking into them myself.
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just run the MJ Sip in the ata?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjekyl wrote:
Why not just run the MJ Sip in the ata?

It's against the terms and I know a few people who got caught and their service was terminated....
Kumar
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, WHO?

The MJ's FAQs said BYOD will be supported in the near future. I don't mind paying extra for BYOD. I already have a wireless VOIP router with built-in 2 ATA (analog telephone adapter) ports. One port is currently running FWD (FreeWorldDialup.com) SIP service, the spare port is reserved for future MagicJack BYOD service Laughing
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok not a few people lol...one person...my uncle. They terminated the service last week...when we went to chat they said we were using an ATA and they said nothing we can do about it.
Kumar
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just threw $40 out the windows. Just buy another MJ and get a new number Laughing
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would they know??
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjekyl wrote:
How would they know??

Mr. SMC comming back with a new user.....how did they know you ask something called a user agent.
Kumar
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh?
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you "huh?"ing at?
Kumar
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your reply was not understandable.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.... mr perfect lemme convert it for ya

Code:
Mr. SMC comming back with a new user.
By this I mean that you are smcinaz with a new user name for the fourm. After getting kicked off the mod list because of you being rude to people you made all your posts ** and made this user and now you are acting like you do not know what i am talking about. .
Quote:
...how did they know you ask something called a user agent.

by this i am answering your question "How did they know" well they saw the user agent didn't match up

Peace
Kumar
drjekyl
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not "Mr SMC" nor "smcinaz" and I still don't understand what "saw the user agent didn't match up" means. What is "the user agent"? I am ignorant.
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATA???

BYOD???

I'm confused.
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the VoIP (Voice over IP) world where no one really speaks English Smile

ATA = analog telephone adaptor, a device which connects to the internet (connect to your router like a PC) with telephone jacks so you could hook up a real telephone. You would need an ATA when you subscribe to VoIP telephone service with VoIP service providers such as Vonage, AT&T Vantage, ViaTalk, etc. ATA devices can be locked to a certain provider, eg. Vonage ATA device would only works with Vonage VoIP service and would not work with ViaTalk VoIP service. ATA device could also be unlocked so it could be used with most standard VoIP services such as Vonage, MagicJack, ViaTalk, etc.

When a VoIP service provider allows you to use your own unlocked ATA device with its service, that provider offers "Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) option. It's similar to Comcast ISP allows you to buy & use your own cable modem with their service.

MagicJack plans to offer BYOD "soon". You set up your MJ credentials into the ATA device and you would have MJ VOIP service without using the MJ USB device with a PC which is a headache for many people.
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. What is SIP? I've seen this mentioned, and a possible router setting when one has problems. So it might be helpful to know what that is as well.
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the recovery program do?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiGonJohn wrote:
Thanks Dan. What is SIP? I've seen this mentioned, and a possible router setting when one has problems. So it might be helpful to know what that is as well.

Who's Dan? Rolling Eyes

SIP = Session initiated protocol, a standard method to do call setup (signaling) and delivery over the internet. Most VOIP service providers (including MJ) use SIP method.

Some newer routers support ALGs (application layer gateway). ALGs are special embedded functions to help make routers more friendly to users. For example, VoIP/SIP ALG in the router would help open/close SIP ports (5060/5070) as needed. QoS (quality of service) ALG would give higher priority to VoIP traffic, online games, etc over normal internet traffic (http, ftp, etc).

Some routers make these ALGs selectable, you could turn these ALGs on or off as needed. Other routers may only provide ALGs automatically without requiring user's manual settings.

Last edited by LikeMagic on Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 am; edited 3 times in total
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuiGonJohn wrote:
What does the recovery program do?

Never had to use one yet Laughing

I believe it reinstalls the MJ softphone onto the MJ USB flash memory drive and the MJ start-up application onto the PC/MAC.
QuiGonJohn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LikeMagic, I saw your quip about Dan and mistakenly thought that was your name.

Anyway, that recovery link is dead.
testing123
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Check out voipvoip Reply with quote

msiam wrote:
Check out voipvoip.com I signed up yesterday after looking them over for a few week or so.. They offer byod and their rates are at 3c a minute right now but are changing to 1.9c a min in two weeks, all incoming calls are free.. Hmm.. That aint too bad, you can also port a number the service is $7 a month for an incoming number, free without , just pay as you go. They even help you with your ATA. I don't know what the long haul quality of the service is yet, but so far the calls have been clear, It is VERY easy to set up and the people are very personable to speak with when asking questions.. I decided to sign up so that I could get away form Teleblend and keep my # They tell me that it should take 30 days, but, they say it has happened in 7 days..I guess I'll know when it happens, and I will report back. That was the best deal I found while checking around. joiphone had a lot of complaints with it, and wasn't much cheaper than a year with anyone else, voipvoip.com lets you leave anytime with no contract, and they will even supply an ata if you need one for $30..unlocked and you keep it.Let me know what you think.. I have a 30 day trial with it..Just curious, anybody tried them before??

msiam: How have things turned out with voipvoip.com??
wardhealer
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ Tech support is a waste of your time. Read the many transcripts of Tech "chats" and you will see that the agents are essentially clueless. You will find the same stock answers given for a variety of problems. I don't know if they actually even understand the instructions they are giving you. They probably have hotkeys on their terminals to send you each stock answer. Considering that these tech folks are in South Asia, I doubt if any of them have ever used or attempted to install an MJ themselves.

You are better off browsing this forum for answers to your problem. You will be learning from folks who have already gone through the tech support "chat" hell and from those who have REAL technical expertise and have come up with solutions on their own.
Scotty
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comment is so true, MJ Tech Support aren't much help. Reading the fourms gives you more insight into the known issues.
Beverly5876
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Tech support chat Reply with quote

I've gone to the tiny url but I just get a blank screen.
walidjanjua
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow .. the tech support are as lost as i am Razz
Carrollm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Wrong number Reply with quote

I was on line last night with two of the ladies Grace and her supervisor Ashley. My area code opened up and I went on to change it. at the area code I typed in 937 which is my area and below I noticed a block with "867 Dayton. I did not at the time know what the prefix was but since I live in Dayton thought it ok and clicked to except. Back comes a new number with a 216 area code. I argued with then but they continued to say I should pay $10 to change it but since the site screwed it up on me I was too stubborn to do so. Do any of you think I should just go ahead and pay the ten for their mistake, I guess I am expecting a miracle to have it corrected and just hampering my use of the phone but it makes you mad. Outside of this I love using the little Magic Jack. I had my son buy one and he called me from Australis on vacation when he was there.

Carrollm
jrmckins
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech support told me that a cordless phone would interfere with the MJ because cordless phones interfere with wireless devices. I don't think they ever understood what I was saying when I informed them that the MJ is not a wireless device. They also told me that I can only access voicemail from the MJ softphone or my MJ phone which I later found out is not true (but I still can't listen to my voicemail from another line).
lonestarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrmckins wrote:
tech support told me that a cordless phone would interfere with the MJ because cordless phones interfere with wireless devices. I don't think they ever understood what I was saying when I informed them that the MJ is not a wireless device. They also told me that I can only access voicemail from the MJ softphone or my MJ phone which I later found out is not true (but I still can't listen to my voicemail from another line).

I'll agree their tech support is lacking. Not sure of what training if any they got when MJ hired them. They are probably just learning about this product as we are. I got about the same help when I used to have TWC which is why I dropped them.

Let's face it, We are ALL beta testers for these devices and will have to put up with some of these minor glitches as MJ improves their servers, etc.

From reading these posts, I can see there are alot of people very frustrated in trying to resolve their issues. I've had my MJ for about a month and it's performed far beyond my expectations. Every function of the device works as it should. No problems with voicemail from any phone. All calls incoming/outgoing have been clear, no static, etc.

I expect there are some units that are defective out there but I think most problems are from their own PC, phone attatched, or their ISP provider and internet connection.

If for some reason you need to unplug your MJ....DO NOT just yank it out from your USB port. You could damage the electronics within it or your USB port. Use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in your system tray or wait until you have powered down your PC.

I use a Uniden Dect 6.0 with two handsets....my base unit sits directly next to my laptop and doesn't affect my MJ in any way. My ISP is AT&T Uverse and my computer is connected via a wireless hub which is located at the other end of my house.
fareal
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinyurl lets you make custom url's now. in case you have to frequently visit the support chat or just so it is easier to remember (since the links from their main page doesn't seem to work)...

http://tinyurl.com/mjsupport
steve1975
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: GOOD LORD Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I can't believe how difficult everybody likes to make things. it's a simple device, why do you have to screw around with the damn thing. end users are so damn stupid. and say what you will back at me, i really don't give a flying f---, you're just a bunch of self-proclaimed "magicjack geniuses" oooooooo special.
p3abc
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as lonestarm stated, "From reading these posts, I can see there are alot of people very frustrated in trying to resolve their issues."

I believe the majority of folks like MagicJack but become frustrated with the absence of support. My unit works great until I turn off my computer. Sometimes MagicJack will load and sometmes it won't. We would just like to have a known source where we could go for support.

Jack
ahbhu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody know how to use the recovery tool? i have installed it on my xindows xp but cant seem to run the program. it says device cant be found.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahbhu wrote:
does anybody know how to use the recovery tool? i have installed it on my xindows xp but cant seem to run the program. it says device cant be found.

ahbhu,

It should work in the manner you are using it.

Can you tell us a little more about your problem, What is not working or not working as it should?

The recovery program not finding your unit could be related the the problem you are trying to fix - "Catch 22".
ahbhu
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the response.i dont know if using the recovery program would the best choice but i guess since ive been using it for about a month with no problem until last week. so i decided that to recover the magicjack firmware to the original state that by brother bought it. just a background if from the philippines and my brother bought magicjack so that we can communicate always.(i dont know if this will affect if your located outside the US)

my problem is i installed the recovery tool program that i got from this site. when i finished installing it i cant seem to find it in the list of programs. but i see it as installed in my windows xp. basically my problem is i want the magicjack to save the username and password coz my parents are having a problem with this since they dont know much about computers. but after i plug in the magicjack and put it my username and password i can use the magicjack. but before i only plug the mj then use the phone. so hopefully you guyd can help me with my problem.
HolmanGT
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahbhu,

If you are getting the message "Your device is already registerd but please confirm you eamil and password" There is nothing on your end to fix it. It is the MJ system doing that to you.

If you can don't unplug it and it will heal itself with time, or ask the Tech Chat people to reset your account - Under no circumstances follow any of their suggestions about removing of modifying stuff on your computer. Believe me it has noting to do with your equipment. If you do some of the crazy stuff they will ask you to do you will end up with a computer that also needs fixing. Crying or Very sad

So either call them and get them to reset you machine or be patient and the problem will go away. Or don't don't keep removing the MagicJack from you machine and make sure you computer is not set to sleep and that the USB ports in the device manager are not set to sleep because of inactivity.

There is one thing you can try, some I coined the "Fifteen minutes of silence" trick. I don't feel up to retyping it but I posted it last night to another person about the same time I responded to you. So do a search and give it a try. It is painless and as the name implies only takes 15 minutes. Smile

The 15 minutes of silence thing is not all that well documented so please let us know if it cures you problem. Or if you can get the MJ Tech Chat people to reset your account.

Regards,
JohnnyFreightTRAIN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a bad one, I just ask them to escalate me. They have always done that, except once. If they are a bad agent, just terminate the session. Don't forget to rate them what they deserve before you close it.... Then open it up again and talk to a new agent.

That always works for me, and I usually get a competent person within a few minutes.

You can always wait a while and your luck will probably turn.

Then, there is always Dan.
Duck1955
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Magic Jack Recovery Program Reply with quote

when I go to the Magic Jack recovery program it comes back saying no device found
az2008
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic Jack Recovery Program Reply with quote

Duck1955 wrote:
when I go to the Magic Jack recovery program it comes back saying no device found

Do you see two new drives when you connect the MJ device (compared to when it's not connected?). One should be named something like magicJack. The other "PHONE." Do you see those?

Mark
manny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: tech chat link Reply with quote

The tiny url is a waste of time. I tried for a couple of times and I waited for 30 minutes before I'm accepted?

Last edited by manny on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
manny
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: MagicJack Tech Support Link Reply with quote

Try this link:

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/73335289/?cmd=file&file=visitorWantsToChat&site=73335289&SESSIONVAR

Best time to chat is anytime... Cool

Or you can go to http://my.magicjack.com/returns.html and try to look at the button, you will find this "If you're having trouble finding your order, click here and an associate will assist you."

Click the hyperlink word "click here", and start chatting.. Exclamation
malditong_taga_davao
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wardhealer wrote:
MJ Tech support is a waste of your time. Read the many transcripts of Tech "chats" and you will see that the agents are essentially clueless. You will find the same stock answers given for a variety of problems. I don't know if they actually even understand the instructions they are giving you. They probably have hotkeys on their terminals to send you each stock answer. Considering that these tech folks are in South Asia, I doubt if any of them have ever used or attempted to install an MJ themselves.

You are better off browsing this forum for answers to your problem. You will be learning from folks who have already gone through the tech support "chat" hell and from those who have REAL technical expertise and have come up with solutions on their own.

------------------------------------------------------------

I think you're right, they're hiring agents with no technical back ground. I have the ability to fix issues but they terminated me? Poor 611, they lost one of their valuable agents. Ask me here if you want something about magicjack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: