magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MagicJack without a computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkgino
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: MagicJack without a computer Reply with quote

Alright, I want to use magicjack but I dont want to have my computer running 24/7. So I was wondering what I would have to do to get it up and running, without a computer.

Has anyone done anything like this before?
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your best bet so far http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/hp-thin-client-and-magic-jack-t685.html
mkgino
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I read that thread, and I dont know if I want to buy something that is $80 just to get MJ up and running. Does anyone know any other way to have it work without a computer??????????

I would actually really love to have it functioning without a computer and use the unlimited call forwarding to my cellphone. that way it would be like anyone calling me on my MJ number would just be calling my cellphone.
GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The very design of the MJ requires SOMETHING to run the software and process the data. Without some sort of computer, the MJ will NOT run. The Thin Client is a good option, or, other small form factor computers might work for you, too. But, you can't, and won't ever be able to simply plug in the MJ to, say, a USB charger, and make it run. There's very little processing on board the device itself.

If you need to run something without a computer, read around for how to run it with an ATA (against the MJ Terms of Service), or go purchase Vonage, or some other flavor of the month voice over IP service. Or better yet, just call up your phone company and get a regular telephone line. That doesn't require any hardware, except your phone.

You're basically asking to bake a cake without an oven, or run your car without gas. Pretty much not possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stewart
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forwarding to your cell should work, even when your PC is off. You can turn on the computer when you need to make some calls, and turn it off when done.
mkgino
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So In essence, I can use MJ and set everything up. Forward it to my cell phone, and then never have to use it again unless I would like to make an outgoing call?
LikeMagic
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your cell phone service have unlimited incoming? If not, forwarding to your cell number would increment (cell service) minutes used.
mkgino
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that, however I wouldnt really use it during the day as much.....my cell is through myfaves, so would there be a way to call forward my MJ number, add it to myfaves (which would give it unlimited incoming)? I have thought of this option as well.
chukkusmaximus
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Sprint. They have a call "home" feature. You list a phone number and you get unlimited incoming / outgoing to that number from your cell. It's $5 a month....unlimited. I think other carriers have "favorites" or something like that.

If your cell service has this feature, you can pay the small monthly fee. In essence you would receive free incoming calls to your cell, you just have to forward the Magic Jack number to it.
Bendle
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkgino wrote:
I understand that, however I wouldnt really use it during the day as much.....my cell is through myfaves, so would there be a way to call forward my MJ number, add it to myfaves (which would give it unlimited incoming)? I have thought of this option as well.

You use Grandcentral, have MJ forward all calls to GC, then GC rings your cell phone with the CID of GC. As long as GC is in your faves, its free.

Now the question begs to be asked, why are you even using MJ in the first place? Just use GC and your cell phone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: