magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Confusion: Are t5700 & t5720 flash modules the s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Memory Confusion: Are t5700 & t5720 flash modules the s Reply with quote

After reading around, I was under the impression that the HP t5700 and t5720 would use the same flash memory module. I had a t5700 with 256F/512R that I was trying to make work, but I found a great deal on a t5720 wiht 512F/256R. Both of the flash memory modules looked similar and had the same plug, so I tried to put the 512 frlash from the 5720 into the 5710, but it would only format to 256 (but did work). In the 5720 the flash memory module would format to the full 512.

What gives? I wanted to order some Transcend flash memory modules upgrades, but all I have seen is one type. How do I know what will work with what?
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Memory Confusion: Are t5700 & t5720 flash modules t Reply with quote

outinaustin wrote:
After reading around, I was under the impression that the HP t5700 and t5720 would use the same flash memory module. I had a t5700 with 256F/512R that I was trying to make work, but I found a great deal on a t5720 wiht 512F/256R. Both of the flash memory modules looked similar and had the same plug, so I tried to put the 512 frlash from the 5720 into the 5710, but it would only format to 256 (but did work). In the 5720 the flash memory module would format to the full 512.

What gives? I wanted to order some Transcend flash memory modules upgrades, but all I have seen is one type. How do I know what will work with what?

It's been my experience that the flash drive modules are interchangeable between the 5700, the 5710 AND the 5720. What is NOT interchangeable between those three thin clients is the version of XPe each one takes.

First, Whenever you download your XPe OS from the HP support site, make sure you choose the latest version of XPe recommended for both your model number AND its particular memory/flash configuration.

Second, whichever XPe version you need, you must put in on a USB thumb drive no bigger than 2G. These thin clients will not recognize a USB thumb drive any bigger than that during the flash process.....at least that's what I've read on this site.

Third, during the first boot up process, go in to the BIOS and make sure the boot order is configured to boot first from the USB and second from the flash drive. Save, plug in your USB drive, and reboot.

That should do it.

One other thing, if the boot sector virus protection is enabled in the BIOS, you'll get a message that an attempt is being made to write to the boot sector and it will ask you to allow or disallow that write. Answer allow to that question if and when it asks.

Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.
outinaustin
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a fresh image on my new Transcend 512 the other day. As reputed, no problems were encountered. The t5700 formatted out to 512 Mb.

After I got the MJ installed, I had no dial tone and could not switch to telephone at the MJ menu. A check of the Device Manager showed yellow question marks indicating problems with the audio drivers, apparently a common problem.

The odd thing was that when I tried to update the drivers, I was not able to "install drivers from the specified location" that I had downloaded to. I kept getting a "no drivers found" at the location they were supposed to be. I had tried putting the drivers in several different locations, but always kept getting the "no driver found" error.

After a couple of days of fooling around with this, by mistake, I accidently choose an adjacent folder to the one they were supposed to be in and they loaded straight away. I would normally say this was a case of operator error, lack of oxygen in the room, etc. I don't know............... I'm just glad it's working now. Question
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Glad it's finally working for you.

Of the three thin clients (5700, 5710 and 5720, the 5700), the 5700 is the only version that needs the extra driver. If you ever decided to upgrade, the 5710 (imho) is the best of the three for a magicJack client. It boots faster, the processor typically stays below 70% usage and the power consumption stays down to about 15 watts. The 5720 is even faster but the power consumption is 30 to 35 watts. Still not bad but if you're counting pennies like so many people are today, every watt is important.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: