magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ+ 3 month review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdisxm
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: MJ+ 3 month review Reply with quote

Here is a brief summary of my first 3 months with MJ+

ORDERING PROCESS:

Simple online process, being an existing customer. Received order confirmation while I was still on the site trying after having to keep saying no to endless special offers and upsells. Ordered late at night. Tracking number was in email when I got out of bed in the morning. Arrived in 3 days in perfect condition.

PACKAGING:

It is well packaged in stryofoam cutout shapes so everything fits properly and snugly. The marketing and presentation is glossy and well thought out.

SET UP:

As per the pretty picture. No rocket science there. No problems. No support call needed (Thank God). Online registration was a pain as usual, with all these upsells to finally get my new number. This time I took no upsells (I just don't know where this company is headed).

PERFORMANCE:

It has been plugged in 24/7 since installation in October 2011. I notice the MJ+ doe get quite warm, and wonder how all those plastic parts inside are standing up to the heat. The Internet is pretty stable here and I have not lost a call or heard any jitter. The sound is definitely clearer than the regular MJ. The recipients comment on the clarity.

DESIGN:

I was really hoping they had dumped that protruding USB port for a mini USB socket, but now I see they just bundled any kind of AC adapter with a USB socket. It is ill-fitting and looks out of place. The two pieces definitely look they come from two different companies. An accidental push could easily snap that ever so fragile USB port. They could definitely take a lesson on design aesthetics.

VALUE FOR MONEY:

For the price it definitely represents value for money. The price increase of 33% over regular MJ is well hidden, but I suspect they are trying to lift the price since the initial launch of the MJ was too cheap and it changed the end users' perception of telephone costs forever. Overall $30/year for calls with a DID is a good deal and hard to beat.

I have ordered another one and they sent it free shipping, so they definitely are paying attention to who their customers are and their buying patterns.

CONCLUSION:

This new offering, although it only really has an ethernet port added to it, will still cut deep into the the ATA market, which held higher prices because their market segment were never willing to be tied to a PC 24/7.

That's all changed now with TK6000 and few others others, it may be an interesting race. Of course Dan has that huge customer base and that is pure gold if he can sort through the ones who will spend from the cheapies.

I give this product 4 stars out of 5, took away 1 star for design and heat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Reviews, Rants and Raves All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: