magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ and LINUX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plamb
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: MJ and LINUX Reply with quote

What is the latest date for MJ and linux. I dual boot my laptop Xp and linux and would like MJ to work on both.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing AFAIK since the April interview - see

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack-inventor-plans-linux-support-more-area-codes-t1341.html

I have it working in VirtualBox with either an XP or Vista guest (headset only, not telephone) but the sound quality is poor. The quality is good if I use XP or Vista directly but that's a pain.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ and LINUX Reply with quote

plamb wrote:
What is the latest date for MJ and linux. I dual boot my laptop Xp and linux and would like MJ to work on both.

Robatino is correct.. However, you can run your magic through Virtual machine in linux. That works fine as long as your computer isn't total crap...

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ and LINUX Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
plamb wrote:

Robatino is correct.. However, you can run your magic through Virtual machine in linux. That works fine as long as your computer isn't total crap...

Kumar

My computer is reasonably fast but VirtualBox has a bug where it uses close to 100% CPU if the guest is given access to USB devices. I suspect this might be the cause of the bad audio when using it. Also, I don't want to pay for VMware (never used it so don't know how well it works with MJ, besides I could probably buy an Ooma for around the same price).
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI VMware Server is free... What version of linux are you running? I may be able to help you. If you IM you can hit me up (my screename's and id's are at the bottom)

Peace
Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kumar wrote:
FYI VMware Server is free... What version of linux are you running? I may be able to help you. If you IM you can hit me up (my screename's and id's are at the bottom)

I didn't know there was a free version of VMware - it's not obvious from the website, but googling found it. I'm using 64-bit Fedora 10, just registered and am downloading it now. The RPM is about 500 MB compared with 40 MB for VirtualBox.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah give it a shot... Whats the specs on your pc?
VMware goes along well with microxp

http://rapidshare.com/files/157884138/Micro_xp_v_0.82.rar

I tested that version and use it BTW^

Kumar
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has an AMD Athlon LE-1640 CPU (64-bit, single-core, 2.7 GHz with AMD-V) and 4 GB RAM. It ought to be enough if VMware doesn't have any bugs like the VirtualBox one. Can you use MJ with the telephone, as opposed to the headset? I've only gotten VB to work with the headset. And how is VMware's CPU usage when the guest is idle? It would be ideal to be able to just leave it idling in the background all the time so the phone would always be usable when the PC is on.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I have never worked an AMD, but on my old Pentium D I can't remember how much my cpu useage was =/ . It ran perfectly fine and the computer was still usable.. I just had issue with my ram... when i had 512 MB total. Once i popped 2 gb in it worked fine again. You can make it work with the headset and mic w.o even using windows if you use the SIP creds (directions are on the forum on how to get em), but the normal phone works fine with vista running VMware. In Ubuntu i had to mess with Fstab though.. but that was a minute fix...

Peace

Kumar
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded and installed the 64-bit VMware-server RPM, but had no luck yesterday getting it to run. There are a huge number of choices when running the /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl script, all of which had reasonable-looking defaults, so I chose the defaults in every case. I was also able to get my SIP credentials (using the Task Manager's dump utility in Vista, which lets me do the dump faster and hence more reliably than pmdump) and configured Ekiga with them, and I can receive incoming calls in my headset, but for some reason can't make outgoing calls. The quality of incoming calls is also not as good as when using MJ in the usual way, which is strange, since the overhead should be lower. Of course there may be refinements I'm not aware of yet that need to be made to the settings.
kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing you need to set up a dial plan in ekiga. I used it before and didn't like it.. Try "twinkle" which works much better IMO.

Kumar
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have twinkle installed and will try that. Is the dial plan just a convenience or is it actually necessary to be able to dial correctly? What would be the correct syntax for making an outgoing 10-digit call? Would it be sip:1234567890 or sip:1234567890@authproxyIP:5070 ? I think I've tried every possible combination. When I dial my own MJ number from a different phone, the SIP address for the incoming call looks like the latter one. But dialing that back doesn't work.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Twinkle configuration info at

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/linux-softphones-t739.html

I now have Twinkle working for both incoming and outgoing calls (headset only, but that's fine).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on Linux All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: