Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJ as Service Easy Standby

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikend
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:26 am    Post subject: MJ as Service Easy Standby

If you are running MagicJack as a service I've come up with an easy and quick solution. Create a batch file containing code to first stop the service, then put the computer into standby and finally start the service back up. To make it one step nicer, I dropped a shortcut to the batch in quick launch.

Update:
I uploaded my files to rapidshare for anyone who wants to download them. http://rapidshare.com/files/278180389/MJServiceStandby.zip Yea. Extract it somewhere and drag the shortcut into your Quick Launch or drop it onto your desktop (and point the shortcut to the correct place). I've only tested it on Windows XP but it should work with Vista.

This really only works if you are indeed running MJ as a service. It only take 15 minutes so follow the instructions here: http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magic-jack-as-a-service-a-better-way-t1364.html

I've only done this using Windows XP. Other versions of windows may have a different standby code. Do this at your own risk.

Step-by-Step

1: Click Start -> Run -> notepad.

2: Copy and paste this text without quotes into the notepad:
"net stop MagicJack
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
net start MagicJack"

3: Click File -> Save As

4: For the name enter something like "standby.bat", without quotes. The ".bat" is the important part. You're actually creating a batch file instead of a text ".txt" file. In the Save as Type drop down menu select All Files instead of Text Documents. Put it somewhere useful. If you've used the instructions linked above for running MJ as a service you might as well save it in your mjusbsp folder: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\mjusbsp\"

5: Go ahead and browse to the folder you just saved your batch file in. If you want to make sure you've created the file properly go ahead and open it. Your computer should enter standby mode almost immediately. If it doesn't enter standby make sure you have copied and pasted everything from step 2 and removed the quotes. Make sure you have named your file with ".bat" at the end and that your Save as Type is All Files. Once it works go to the next step.

6: Right Click on it -> Send To -> Desktop (create shortcut)

Now, if you want your icon to be fancy and look like the windows standby icon, here is a link to the icon file. http://www.iconspedia.com/dload.php?up_id=9694 Save it in your mjusbsp folder too. If you want to use this or any other icon continue to step 7. If not, go to step 8.

7. Right click on the shortcut you've placed on your desktop and select properties. Click on the Shortcut tab at the top. Click on the Change Icon button. Click OK to the warning (if any). Click Browse. Navigate to where you saved the icon and open it. Click OK. Done!

8. Drag the shortcut into your Quick Launch Bar. Click It!
techy88
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Stand by

So does this mean you can have your computer on stand by and it will still connect?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: