Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
mJ blocking access to FreeConferenceCall.com, pimping alt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you heard of, and will you use FreeMagicConference.com?
I had heard of it, but don't plan to use it.
24%
 24%  [ 13 ]
I had heard of it, and plan to use it.
14%
 14%  [ 8 ]
I had heard of it, and am already using it.
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
I had not heard of it before, but plan to keep using an alternative
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
I had not heard of it before, but plan to use it.
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
I had not heard of it before, but do not have a use for it.
38%
 38%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 54

GuyOnTheAir
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: mJ blocking access to FreeConferenceCall.com, pimping alt

My company has recently started using FreeConferenceCall.com (FCC) to have a weekly telephone meeting. Part of the solution with FCC is that you must dial a long distance number to gain access to your conference. For our account, that number was (218) 862-1000. You then dial in your conference room code, and away you go!

Naturally, I called in using my mJ. However this morning, when I dialed in, I got this:

"Important Announcement: Please listen to this entire short message. The number you have dialed cannot be completed from your magicJack. For free conference calling setup, you must dial 305-848-8888. You may press one at any time during this message to connect. Please use this number for all future free conference calling. Please visit FreeMagicConference.com for more information on magicJack free conference calling. Again, that was FreeMagicConference.com."

The message repeats, and then the phone starts to ring. I let it ring a number of times, but it was never answered. Pressing 1 did forward me to a conference system, but I did not have a conference room number to use, yet.

A visit to FreeMagicConference.com (FMC) shows what appears to be a site to set up a free conference room, much like FCC. However, FMC appears to be an official magicJack site, as it does say "powered by magicJack" and has a similar look to their other sites...

This is annoying and yet interesting on a couple of fronts. First off, I'm annoyed that mJ is suddenly NOT completing a call to a US number, as they have agreed. While it's been awhile since I read the TOS, I'm surprised that apparently they don't have to let you call anything they don't want you to call, even if it's not an obvious 900 number or something.

It is interesting, because, obviously, people must have been using FCC for their calls, and this caught the attention of mJ to the extent that they set up their own service and blocked access to FCC. I suppose that they could have just blocked service, but I'm encouraged by the fact that they set up a replacement free service.

And, as stated on the site, "This free magicJack conference calling is not restricted to magicJack users..." So, I suppose my company could switch, but I just find it amusing/annoying/interesting/irritating that they just block things willy nilly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Looks like the site has nothing to do with magicJack and are fraudulently using the magicjack trademark for advertising. My bet is that magicJack will sue the person who created this site for trademark infringement if they find it.

If anything I tried calling the first number and I get a busy signal with any other phone other than MJ. With MJ I get the recorded message, so they are determining that MJ is calling the number and probably harvesting the numbers while announcing this service. I would not phone these numbers because it looks like some hacker with an asterix box trying to pull a scam.

Check out the Registrar details because magicJack doesn't use a proxy service to register their sites.

Registrant
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
(480) 624-2599 Phone
(480) 624-2598 Fax
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
freemagicconference.com@domainsbyproxy.com
Administrative Contact
Registration Private
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
(480) 624-2599 Phone
(480) 624-2598 Fax
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
Technical Contact
Registration Private
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
(480) 624-2599 Phone
(480) 624-2598 Fax
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
Registered Through
GoDaddy.com, Inc.
Domain Name: freemagicconference.com
Created on: 2009-03-24 17:34:35
Expires on: 2011-05-09 22:59:59
Last Updated on: 2009-03-24 17:34:35
Domain Servers
NS21.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS22.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
synchron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I think this IS run by magicjack since it's the same number from their FAQ on 'conferencing' (if you do a search on the magicjack.com website).

I think they're within their rights to make their customers use their services so I'm not complaining.

Synchron Cool
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:

synchron wrote:
Actually, I think this IS run by magicjack since it's the same number from their FAQ on 'conferencing' (if you do a search on the magicjack.com website).

I think they're within their rights to make their customers use their services so I'm not complaining.

Synchron Cool

I can't find it on magicjack's site can you post a link?

This seems really fishy even for magicJack
steroids
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:
synchron wrote:

Synchron Cool

That number IS OWNED by YMax/MagicJack.

Pretty sleazy business practices by magicJack IMHO.
synchron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:

http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-616357827846073033/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=conferencing&sf=101113&sg=1&st=390197&documentid=346642&action=view

(sorry, you'll need to cut & paste this)

Synchron Cool
dan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Most CLEC are blocking calls to free confrence calls. due to high termination fees 4 times the national average
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject:

synchron wrote:
laserjobs wrote:

http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-616357827846073033/view_question!PAGETYPE?sq=conferencing&sf=101113&sg=1&st=390197&documentid=346642&action=view

Synchron Cool

WOW I guess magicJack is pulling this sketchy stunt. Isn't it illegal to do this?
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:
Looks like the site has nothing to do with magicJack and are fraudulently using the magicjack trademark for advertising. My bet is that magicJack will sue the person who created this site for trademark infringement if they find it.

If anything I tried calling the first number and I get a busy signal with any other phone other than MJ. With MJ I get the recorded message, so they are determining that MJ is calling the number and probably harvesting the numbers while announcing this service. I would not phone these numbers because it looks like some hacker with an asterix box trying to pull a scam.

I'm not convinced that it is fraudulent, laserjobs, because then, somehow, the hackers would be intercepting calls to FCC, and playing the message promoting their site. That would be some serious telephony hacking... I'm pretty sure this is mJ. But I'm still not sure that I like it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject:

When you call the number mentioned by FMC, 305 848 8888, or quote in that link that synchron provided, it does say "Welcome to the magicJack free conference service." Of course, anyone could say this, but again, I'm not surprised that they've set this up. Only surprised, and annoyed that I cannot use whatever service I want, since I'm supposed to be able to call anyone and anywhere with my mJ for free, as long as it's in the US and Canada.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject:

dan wrote:
Most CLEC are blocking calls to free confrence calls. due to high termination fees 4 times the national average

And is this legal? Or even allowed by mJ's own TOS?
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:

Which number did you call, laserjobs? The 305 848 8888, or the 218-862-1000? From many different lines and cell numbers, I've successfully dialed both numbers, and they always seem to work. On the mJ, dialing the 218 gives me the message I noted before, but it seems to work most of the time from other numbers, even my Google Voice number. I did get a couple of fast busy signals when trying a couple to times, but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

The 305 number seems to be available from any phone number I could test...
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject:

synchron wrote:

Synchron Cool

http://service.liveperson.net/hc/s-61732089/cmd/kbresource/kb-5469380877896503110/view_question!PAGETYPE?sc=18&sf=101133&sn=2&documentid=346642&action=view

There another link you can try. In any case, I notice that at the bottom of the description, the last time that it was update was, um, yeah, today!
pagemen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Nothing is free and there are some legitimate reasons to block these "free" conferences bridge.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2007/03/attcingular-blocks-cellular-customers-from-free-conference-call-services.ars
mjuser2010
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I had the same problem this morning trying to join a conference call. I have never had a problem using my MJ on these free conference calls in the past. Since I need the capability to connect to the free conference call service, I am looking for other options for telephone service.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:

mjuser2010 wrote:
I had the same problem this morning trying to join a conference call. I have never had a problem using my MJ on these free conference calls in the past. Since I need the capability to connect to the free conference call service, I am looking for other options for telephone service.

Well, you can always use their free service...
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject:

pagemen wrote:
Nothing is free and there are some legitimate reasons to block these "free" conferences bridge.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2007/03/attcingular-blocks-cellular-customers-from-free-conference-call-services.ars

That is an interesting article... Still doesn't make me happy.

I've reviewed the TOS, and while I have not read every line, these parts seem to apply:

Quote:
b) Outgoing Calls: magicOut

Once you have registered your magicJack device you have agreed to these Terms of Service. You now have the option of registering for the feature to make free outgoing calls over the Internet. You can make free calls to other magicJack device users located anywhere in the world, and to subscribers on traditional telephone networks or wireless networks in the United States. You will not have the ability to call any number that would require the addition of any charges to your phone bill, such as 900 or 976 numbers or any other "fee per call" type service.
4. What Is Free and What is Not:

The magicJack device allows you to receive for free incoming calls using the phone number we assign to you. If you register for magicJack outgoing service ('magicOut"), the magicJack device allows you to make free outgoing calls to other magicJack device users located anywhere in the world, and the subscribers on traditional telephone networks or cellular networks in the United States. We may provide for a fee, premium prepaid services, powered by YMAX Communications Corp. ("YMAX"), including International Calling and Conferencing services and the rates for those services will be governed by YMAX's effective price lists or tariffs and are not governed by this Agreement. magicJack may make available to you, for an additional fee, enhanced versions of the magicJack Software ("Upgraded Software") which provide new features and functions.

To my reading, there is nothing that would suggest that it's okay for them to block calls to any numbers except "any number that would require the addition of any charges to your phone bill, such as 900 or 976 numbers or any other "fee per call" type service." Use of the FCC service does not result in additional charges on one's phone bill, even if it costs mJ more to terminate the call.

Further, setting up a recording that blocks a call, and advertises a company's own service would be like having an AT&T phone, attempting to call Sprint, and being blocked from completing your call, and played an advertisement for AT&T instead. I don't like it.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone notified the company who's number is being blocked?
Plexis
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:

Actually yes, I use conference hubs. com I've used their service for some time now. As I got hit with this block today I immediately "called" MJ's chat service...nothing got resolved. So what I eventually did was call the main number for my conference service, and let them hear the message. They were none to pleased about it. What actions they will take they didn't discuss with me, but they were very pleased that I brought this to their attention. A few hours later I then went back to the chat. Got canned response after canned response, as well as a few insults aimed at my intelligence. Wouldn't they like to know that my IQ qualifies me for membership with Mensa. Anyway, they refused to repeated requests for the corporate number. But they did finally admit that they are actually located in West Palm Beach, FL. They are IN the corporate headquarters.

Also I strongly suggest that everyone posting here look up Magic Jack in your search engine. The name comes up prominently. RipOff Reports has hundreds of complaints on this company. And they are not the only site that has complaints listed on them. I didn't count, but there could possibly be over 1000 complaints listed in search engines.

Another thing I would strongly suggest is that you file a complaint with the BBB online. YMAX/Magic Jack just finished with being fined by the State of Florida earlier this year (April) sounds like they didn't learn anything. They are already breaking their agreement with the State of Florida Attorney General.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject:

laserjobs wrote:

Yes, I notified them this evening. We'll see if anything becomes of it.
pagemen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject:

You can argue with MJ while MJ can always modify their TOS, and as always, if you don't like it then don't use it.

I think its a good idea to block these "free" conference bridges as they STEAL money from others. The original idea for the high termination fee is to compensate the carrier for providing service to rural areas, not to encourage this immoral business practice. By blocking the service, MJ can keep the cost lower and MOST of us will benefit from it.

Last edited by pagemen on Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
tipsravs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject:

I was pretty annoyed when I noticed this change. They always allowed free conferencing calls in the past!. These kind of changes should be well informed and not a surprise. Contacted tech support chat and they dont seem 2 have a clue.I even threatened to to cancel service.

It is such an inconvenience just to hop between phones to call different #s.

Well, This may be just the beginning. I will not be surprised if MJ would only allow free LOCAL calls in due time!
JimmyMacMillan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: No Warning Whatsoever About Blocking FCC

When I first chatted with tech support I was told that it was a programming error and that it would be resolved in 24 hours. I waited 30 hours and tried it again and experienced the same problem. I contacted support this morning and they asked that I try the number again in a few hours as they where still working on the problem. I chatted with Kalie (a supervisor) and she finally confessed that this was an intentional block.

Kalie actually suggested that I sell the jack on eBay if all I was using it for was FreeConferenceCall.com

What really gets me about this is the fact that MJ offered no warning. I was scheduled to be a speaker and I couldn't even join the conference in progress. What kind of company starts blocking numbers without even notifying their customers ahead of time Crying or Very sad
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What really gets me about this is the fact that MJ offered no warning.

MJ has some rough business practices, but that is nothing new.
However, I understand why they did it. Those free conference call companies abuse the system at the costs of all of us. MJ provides at least for it's own service a number from the southeast FL metro area, not a rural exchange in Iowa. Smile
epoe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: FCC decided that blocking was illegal

This is unfair trade practice

The old unlimited call anywhere anytime for one low price.

Then you find out - no - there are some numbers you can't call.

The problem stems from allowing companies like Magic Jack to price to the competition rather than pricing to cost. Then Magic Jack starts demonizing the services that people call and the more numbers that they can block the more money the magic jack company makes. So where does it end today FreeConferenceCall.com tomorrow? This is BS.

Who are the guys on this site fighting for Magic Jack - yeah right they think their Magic Jack should be limited and not call all numbers. INSIDERS!

Obama's campaign used FreeConferenceCall.com - so if you are using Magic Jack you can not go to telephone based town halls... nice.

If your company or vendors you do business with uses FreeConferenceCall.com you can't join a work meeting via phone.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!

The bozos at Magic Jack tried to switch me to Free Magic Conference to get an account and the idiot in the chat could not figure out that I join other poeples calls - I don't need to have an account of my own.

The FCC ruled the ATT call blocking illegal and ATT is liable for blocking calls to FreeConferenceCall.com.
svguy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject:

Any more BS by MJ and I'm done. I got the dreaded message earlier.....and was told to start my own conference line and invite guests. Had to pound into the "tech" dude's head that I did not run this call....that I was a guest not a host. I think the tech support is getting tired of people complaining. Well, they are going to be out of a job soon if MJ doesn't fix this crap. Mad
eKlipsch
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: My conversation with MagicJack support about this

In case you're interested here's what happened when I used their "live chat" support service. I'm not very hopeful for a resolution:

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Malik'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419075135133X
Malik: Hello, how may I help you?
mark: Hi- I'm calling into a conference call and keep getting a message about setting up a free conference call
mark: i'm dialing into an existing conference- in other words I am a participant
mark: I am not hosting the conference
Malik: Unfortunately, the conference calling from the other provider is blocked by magicjack.
Malik: You need to set-up your own conference calling using the freemagicjack conference calling.
Malik: You need to use the freemagicjack conference calling and set-up a conference call since the other conference call has been blocked.
mark: This is my company conference call line. I can't use a different conference call service. Why is magicjack blocking this? This is why I bought magicjack- in order to call into company conference calls without tying up my home line.
mark: if I can't call my company conference calls magicjack is useless to me and I need to request a refund.
Malik: Thank you for your patience. I will transfer you to a higher level of support. Please hold while I transfer you.
Please wait while I transfer the chat to the best suited site operator.
You are now chatting with 'Michaela'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK419075135133X
Michaela: Hello this is Michaela, good day to you.
Michaela: Please allow me to assist you and read your previous chat. Thank you.
Michaela: May I know when this issue started?
mark: today is the first time I've experienced the issue
Michaela: Yes Mark since we have new updates for conference calling.
Michaela: Please let me know all your queries regarding conference calling so that I can forward your concern to our engineers.
Michaela: Would that be okay?
mark: All my queries? I'm not sure what you're asking? I just need to be able to call into my company conference calls.
Michaela: Yes, all your suggestions or comments about the new conference calling that some numbers has been blocked.
mark: I don't know anything about the new conference calling. I just need to be able to call into my corporate conference calls using magicjack. I can't use magicjack's conference call service as I am not hosting the conference calls. I am participating in conference calls from my employer.
Michaela: Yes, I understand you Mark but that is not possible anymore.
Michaela: You need to create a conference calling room and invite them to your conference.
Michaela: That's the new update Mark.
mark: okay- i need to request a refund then. If I can't call into my company conference calls magicjack is useless for me.
Michaela: We can't refund you anymore Marl.
Michaela: Mark*
mark: So I'm stuck paying for a service I can't use because you changed the service after I payed for it? Is that what you're telling me?
Michaela: No Mark.
Michaela: That is why I want to know your queries with regard to the new conference calling.
mark: I don't have any queries about the new conference calling. What I'm telling you is I can't use magicjacks conference call service. I work for an 80,000 person company which has an extensive conference call service I must use. Magicjack has blocked my ability to use that service. If you're telling me I can no longer call into my company conference calls then magicjack is useless for me and I would like my money back. During my trial period I was able to call into my company conference calls- magicjack has since changed that and I can no longer use it for the purpose I bought it.
Michaela: We can't refund you anymore Mark.
mark: So then I'm stuck paying for a service I can't use because you changed the service after I payed for it? Does that seem right to you? If the service didn't work during my trial period I would have returned the product, but it did work then- you have since changed it so it doesn't work. That doesn't seem right to me.
Michaela: Okay.
Michaela: I will escalate this issue to our engineers Marl.
Michaela: Mark*
mark: Okay- Can they fix this issue and re-enable my ability to call into my company conference calls?
Michaela: We will try but I can't promise Mark.
mark: Are you escalating now? What do I need to do? How will I know if/when the issue is fixed?
Michaela: I need your email address and full name so that they can email you back.
mark: When should I expect to hear from them?
Michaela: Thank you.
Michaela: Please wait for an email to be sent to you as soon as possible.
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject:

The fine folks at FCC had asked me for a recording of the message I heard when I tried to dial their service.

I've uploaded it, so that others may make use of it, for whatever reason.

Here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gawygdnjjq4/ConferenceCallRecording.mp3

Last edited by GuyOnTheAir on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: FCC decided that blocking was illegal

epoe wrote:
The FCC ruled the ATT call blocking illegal and ATT is liable for blocking calls to FreeConferenceCall.com.

I'd like to know if this is true. Do you have any reference on it?
epoe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: To guy on the air

Here is a reference to it:

http://blog.tmcnet.com/regulations/enforcement/fcc-to-att-and-qwest-stop-blocking-freeconferencecom-calls.asp

There is an actual order from the fcc I believe

Here is the deal - Magic Jack has to pay fees for our calls to FreeConferenceCall.com just like they have to pay access on any of the calls we make. Some do cost more than others - but if magic jack usage grows they will find other numbers to block... I am sure they already have. There is an uprising about FreeConferenceCall.com because so many people use the service.
epoe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Contact the FCC

I think if anyone is unhappy about the sudden blocking of select applications like FreeConferenceCall.com they should go to FCC.Gov and file a complaint about it
epoe
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Who do you work for????

pagemen wrote:
You can argue with MJ while MJ can always modify their TOS, and as always, if you don't like it then don't use it.

I think its a good idea to block these "free" conference bridges as they STEAL money from others. The original idea for the high termination fee is to compensate the carrier for providing service to rural areas, not to encourage this immoral business practice. By blocking the service, MJ can keep the cost lower and MOST of us will benefit from it.

You think it is a good idea to block calls???? Because it keeps the costs down... The cost down for who... I paid the first year in full with Magic Jack and now after I have paid for an entire year you think they should start blocking calls to save money to keep the price low.

You work for Magic Jack
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Contact the FCC

epoe wrote:
I think if anyone is unhappy about the sudden blocking of select applications like FreeConferenceCall.com they should go to FCC.Gov and file a complaint about it

I attempted to do just that. I went to: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm, but that site doesn't work.

LOL

I think the whole world is out to screw with me today!
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject:

It is interesting to note that all of the sudden, a link to FreeMagicConference.com has appeared on the main page at magicJack.com. Just look at the bottom right, and you'll find "FREE magicJack Conference Calling." The link takes you to FMC.
cooldude929
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:

I did hit the same problem this morning.

This is really really stupid move from Magicjack. If they want to advertise their site, they can...but they cannot block outgoing calls to somebody. If I create new conferences, I can create using this magic free conference.. but I can't force every body at my work to create conferences in there.

People at my work always schedule conferences at freeconfrence.com. Now I can't use the Magicjack for this. I need to join the call from my cell phone during the day.. these calls go for hours.. and I can't afford to join from cell phone.

Magicjack suxxxxx big time now.

These guys at magicjack losing their minds before making any simple changes.

What should we really do?
MagicJacked
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: http://www.grandcentral.com/

You should look into http://www.grandcentral.com/.

I think you can have them start the call and call your MJ. No need for you to make the call. Would be funny if grand central was blocking the same number!

It is now called Google voice.
Darkman90808
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Magicjacked... thanks for the suggestion. I have not had a problem yet. I sat in on a Webinar this morning and called in successfully. However, it's nice to know I may have a work around, if it becomes necessary. FWIW, the primary reason I originally bought the MJ was to sit in on Webinars without having to use my cell phone.

Great post!
hatdance
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: MJ conferdoes not substitute for another conference

I got on MJ chat, and they say their conferencing is a new feature that replaces other conferencing services, and I should tell them to call to my conference room.

But these are two different things. I am not setting up the conference, so I have no control over the number the conference originator uses. It is ridiculous to assume I could tell others how to run their conference.

They insist they are not blocking numbers, but that is exactly what they are doing. So their advertising is false. If their financial model is not viable, they need to change it through honest agreements, not this backhanded bs... saying they have added a new feature. Hey, they have taken away the only reason I bought the thing.

I expect numerous lawsuits over this. I asked for a refund but was refused. I had the service over a year and have never had a problem until now. I just paid for the 5 year plan and really don't need it without access the conference calls. My use is not excessive. I understand if they have run into a problem with this. But the way to resolve it is to increase the price and tell the truth, not manipulate customers and lie about it.
AlaninKY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I found the work around to get around magicJack blocking calls.
1. Go the http://www.google.com/voice
2. Now Sign into your Google Voice account
3. Click the Call Link and enter the phone number you need to call and select your magicJack to ring and click on Connect. Now your magicJack will ring and you pick up your magicJack phone call and enjoy this work around Smile

It's as easy as 1,2,3!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:

What's interesting about using Google Voice to get around this, is that it basically transfers the cost to Google... The whole reason that magicJack is blocking access is due to the high "interconnect" rates of terminating the calls with Iowa telcos... If you make Google Voice connect you, Google will be paying for two terminations. One to magicJack for your mJ call, and one to the Iowa telco. I'm sure that eventually GV will likely want to block this access too. But who knows. Google is a bit larger of a company. And few understand why they offer the GV service for free, anyway!
MagicJacked
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: File a complaint with the FCC and FTC.

If you can't make a valid call, you should complain to the FCC and FTC.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I do not know what good a FCC complaint will do since MJ does not provide a phone service, but a data service.
I do not use much of those teleconferencing services but if I was, I would probably file a complaint with Florida Attorney General. This is an extreme form of misleading advertisement.
MagicJacked
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject:

cell14 wrote:
Quote:

I do not know what good a FCC complaint will do since MJ does not provide a phone service, but a data service.
I do not use much of those teleconferencing services but if I was, I would probably file a complaint with Florida Attorney General. This is an extreme form of misleading advertisement.

From their web page:
Use our Phone Service free for 30 days, make all the free calls you please. 100% Risk FREE - you pay nothing.

Sounds like phone service to me.
Mom23kbs
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Google Voice Works Only If You Already Have Acct.

AlaninKY wrote:
3. Click the Call Link and enter the phone number you need to call and select your magicJack to ring and click on Connect. Now your magicJack will ring and you pick up your magicJack phone call and enjoy this work around Smile

It's as easy as 1,2,3!

It's only as easy as 1,2, 3 IF you have the old Google Central acct.

How long are most waiting to receive the invite from Google Voice?

Mom
mjuser2010
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I filed a complaint about MJ's call blocking using FCC's Form 2000B online here:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/formB!input.action?form_page=2000B
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:

AlaninKY wrote:

It's as easy as 1,2,3!

It isn't that easy for me. Using the 218 number at the top of the thread, I generally get a busy signal if I attempt to get Google Voice to call for me. Sometimes it'll go through. But, when I actually need it, I'll get repeated busy signals. Yet, if I call from another phone (like a cell), then it goes through right away, and there is no busy signal. I think Google Voice may be blocking some of these calls, too. Sad
GuyOnTheAir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:

mjuser2010 wrote:
I filed a complaint about MJ's call blocking using FCC's Form 2000B online here:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/sform2000/formB!input.action?form_page=2000B

This link works, and I submitted my complaint, as below:

Quote:
Recently, magicJack, who provides me with the xxx-xxx-xxxx number, started blocking calls to a free conferencing service at 218-862-1000. Instead of completing the call, I am played a recording touting magicJack's own conference service. As the company I work for uses the free conferencing service, I cannot just change what service is used. I think that it is wrong for magicJack to block access to any US phone number, as they clearly state on their Web site "pick up the phone and talk for free anywhere in the US and Canada". Attempts to get resolution through chat-based customer support end in them telling you to use their own service, and not the competing service.
r81984
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Not Illegal

Your report the FCC is pointless, MJ is doing nothing illegal.

The freeconferencecall.com is using a number in rural Iowa where about 50 phone lines exist. Iowa passed a law where these rural phone companies could charge a lot more in termination fees to subsidize the phone system so they would not loose money supplying phone service to 50 people.
The termination fee is $.06 a minute.
Now that we have VOIP these scammers took advantage of the law that subsidizes rural phone systems and are using it to exploit $.06 a minute from your phone provider. Normal termination fees are fractions of a penny a minute.

Landline phone companies like ATT are bound by US law to not block these numbers. ATT is fighting to get this company shut down, they successfully got the free scammer Iowa international calling number shut down because they were loosing millions of dollars a month to them.

It is not illegal for VOIP companies to block this number, so your FCC report does nothing.
If MJ allowed you to call this number they would loose your $20 a year fee in 5.5 hours.

If you want to call scammer Iowa phone numbers than pay $20 a month for phone service.
r81984
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My conversation with MagicJack support about this

eKlipsch wrote:
In case you're interested here's what happened when I used their "live chat" support service. I'm not very hopeful for a resolution:

You acted like a dbag although they should have just told you the truth about why they block the scammer Iowa conference numbers. Those numbers charge them $.06 a minute which means they will lose your $20 yearly fee in 5.5 hours.
If you have another phone line what is wrong with your family using the MJ while you are in your scammer conference call??
Also you could still use google voice to call the scammer conference call number with your MJ, but then google gets the $.06 a minute charge.

"I work for an 80,000 person company which has an extensive conference call service I must use"

I found this very funny. You work for an 80,000 person company and they resort to using a "free" scammer Iowa conference call line that charges your phone provider $.06 a minute.
My company of 15K uses a legit conference call service.
mjuser2010
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Not Illegal

r81984 wrote:

The freeconferencecall.com is using a number in rural Iowa where about 50 phone lines exist. Iowa passed a law where these rural phone companies could charge a lot more in termination fees to subsidize the phone system so they would not loose money supplying phone service to 50 people.
The termination fee is $.06 a minute.
...If you want to call scammer Iowa phone numbers than pay $20 a month for phone service.

One number MJ is blocking 218-339-2500 is in northern Minnesota, not Iowa or subject to Iowa law. Area code 218 is not Iowa. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_code_218

In 2007 the FCC state that call blocking was illegal via this order (Establishing Just and Reasonable Rates for Local Exchange Carriers, Call Blocking by Carriers, 22 FCC Rcd 11629 (2007).)

Call blocking is also contrary to MJ's advertising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: