magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ+ Doesn't Pass DTMF Tones to 'Phone Menu Prompts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Natural
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: MJ+ Doesn't Pass DTMF Tones to 'Phone Menu Prompts Reply with quote

My MJ+ is plugged directly into my network (not a USB port). The connection path is:

AT&T Uverse (ISP) -> 2Wire 3801HGV gateway -> Asus RT-AC66U router -> MJ+

I have no problem dialing, and both incoming and outgoing voice quality are fine, but when I'm prompted for an option (e.g., "Dial 1 for English; dial 2 for Spanish, etc."), the tone isn't recognized. I've tried hitting the key momentarily, a little longer,... up to several seconds, and it's never recognized. Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention your modem model, but regardless... MJ+ does not block dtmf tones; ISP's *generally* don't either, but some routers will if their firmware's settings aren't set correctly. My suggestion is to connect the MJ+ to your MODEM directly (via Ethernet) - temporarily - and try it out to see if the problem disappears; if it does, the problem was most likely within your router or its settings.
Mr.Natural
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I did specify the modem: it's incorporated along with a wireless and 4-port wired router in the 2Wire HG3801HGV gateway. But I'll give SteveHC's suggestion a try.
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr.Natural,

I had a problem somewhat similiar to yours.

My MJ+ is connected into a USB port in my computer and I use a telephone vs the MJ+ softphone.

I found that only some of the numbers I was dialing on the telephone keypad were being picked up, and I couldn't place a call. I could see this happening on the MJ interface on my computer as I dialed - some numbers appearing as I pressed the keypad, while others not.

The fix was reducing the mic level on the telephone to below 80%.

From the MJ+ interface, click Menu, then Volume/Headset Control, make sure 'Telephone' is selected, and move the 'Microphone' slider so it is 20% or more to the left of the right end of the control.
eg. looking like this .......................O.......
{dailing works }|{some numbers not registering}

I read somewhere in this forum (sorry I don't know who posted so I can give credit - if anyone knows please send me a message and I'll edit this post):

"MJ uses a level trigger for digitizing voice and if any thing falls below the trigger it doesn't get converted... Bah!"

This level trigger may be the cause of your problem.

Hope this helps.

DY
mh1983
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DeepYellow. I don't supposed there's a similar workaround for the MJ+ connected to a router?
DeepYellow
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I have no suggestions for the router. Have you had a chance to try SteveHC's suggestion of bypassing the router to determine if the router is in fact the problem?

In my own setup, there's both a hub/switch and router between my MJ+ and the cable company's modem/router, and I am not experiencing your problem.

I'm not familiar with the details of the MJ+ hardware and software, but my thought/hope in my previous post was that by connecting your MJ+ up to your computer and changing the mic level setting, it would stay changed when you put the MJ+ back into the power adapter setup.

If you give it try, please report back, I'd be interested to know if these type of settings are stored on the MJ+ circuit board as opposed to in the software on your computer.

Best of luck!

DY

Last edited by DeepYellow on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr.Natural
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have my MJ+ plugged directly into my router, so I use a physical 'phone, not the MJ softphone. Bypassing the router made no difference. I tried reducing the volume on my telephone handset, and the DTMF tones appear to go through now - at least, at the one number I tried. Time will tell.

Thanks, SteveHC & DeepYellow, for the responses.
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: solution just the opposite for me Reply with quote

Ever since switching to MJ+ 2014, running through a PC-router-modem setup, the touch tone phone tree responses - from my cordless handset - have not been working. Every time I make a call, I have to sit at a PC, log onto the MJ server via TightVNC, and enter the phone tree responses there on the softpad while using the handset for dialing and talking.

Earlier, I had read postings around the net where people called MJ customer service and had the problem fixed, but was dreading that prospect.

Today after the annoyance of the softpad routine, I ended up here for a little research. Seeing this solution, I checked my settings, and the microphone slider was set all the way to the left on the interface Menu control.

I set it at about 75% of the way to the right, and voila! The cordless handset keytones now work for phone tree response!!
user659
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem with my new MJGO but only when I connected it to my D-Link dir-655 router. No problems at all if I connected it instead directly to my Windows laptop.

Solved the problem by going into the DIR-655 setup, going to Advanced, then Firewall, then turning off the checkmark for SIP in the ALG (Application Level Gateway) section. Saved the config then rebooted the router.

In the D-Link Help section is says to turn off SIP if you are having VOIP problems. It doesn't specifically refer to the tones problem. I just gave it a try and got lucky.

I then tested by calling 3 organizations that had phone tree setup. All the numbers I entered via by wireless telephone answering system were accepted. LOOKING GOOD!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: