magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ+ Dropping Calls... What Else Do I Need To Do?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep 90 min down from 2 hrs a few years ago.... Just because Black_Icon thinks 90 min is enough he thinks everyone else should feel the same. There are times the 90 min time limit can and does "byte" one in the ass...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
Yep 90 min down from 2 hrs a few years ago.... Just because Black_Icon thinks 90 min is enough he thinks everyone else should feel the same. There are times the 90 min time limit can and does "byte" one in the ass...

Okay. I appreciate the confirmation.

And,

I just did another call and it got cut off at 69 minutes...

- -
bitstopjoe
Future magicJack CEO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a different problem. From what I read here the Plus does seem to have a problem dropping calls for some people. Of course it could have been the other end who dropped the call. If it was a cell phone you were talking too, it happens a lot.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deborah1783
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: No more dropped calls Reply with quote

I replaced my wireless router and I have no more dropped calls.
black_icon
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:

Well, I do respect the feelings of other but for me, 90 minutes of conversation is enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitstopjoe wrote:
That sounds like a different problem. From what I read here the Plus does seem to have a problem dropping calls for some people. Of course it could have been the other end who dropped the call. If it was a cell phone you were talking too, it happens a lot.

See, that's what I've been trying to figure out- what the problem is.

Every change I implement brings about improvement, albeit some improvements are short lived.

I wonder what's left to fool with?

- -
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No more dropped calls Reply with quote

deborah1783 wrote:
I replaced my wireless router and I have no more dropped calls.

How long ago?

I replaced my router too and things were better for a while...

Is there a list on the forum of "good" routers, and routers to avoid?

- -
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Sometimes, if/when the MJ network and/or servers get overloaded they will terminate a call sooner than 90 mins.

2. Regarding most routers on the market today, if you connect a MJ+ to one via Ethernet and it sustains a call for at least 15 mins, then it's usually safe to assume that it's working perfectly fine with your router (*assuming your router's settings are correct in the first place*). Call terminations beyond 15 mins. into a call are usually not the fault of the MJ+ hardware, unless the heat stress on it is getting to be too much (which is why I recommend using the USB extension cable to connect it to its AC adapter). Beyond that, call "drops" can occur due to a multitude of reasons - including but not limited to poor quality Internet service (quality NOT being defined by Internet "speed," by the way), poor or worn cables, bent or corroded Ethernet port contacts, brief AC power drops (use a UPS!), and a million other things.

So the long and short of it is if you're able to sustain a call for longer than 15 mins, most likely there's nothing wrong with your MJ+ hardware nor probably your router. BUT a mis-configured router CAN yield dropped calls and/or no or very poor voip service. And therein lies the problem - each router manufacturer ships its products with different "factory default" settings - some of which are NOT appropriate for reliable MJ voip service. And some router makes and models have relatively non-user-congfigurable SIP and NAT firmware, shipped turned "on," that is not consistent with industry standards and therefor must be turned off by the consumer for reliable MJ service. These issues can vary not only from manufacturer to manufacturer, but also from model to model within a given manufacturer's product line.

Having said that, I've seen more complaints re: MJ compatibility from owners of AT&T, D-Link, and OLDER (non-Cisco-co-branded) Linksys routers (in general), as well as a few non-major manufacturers, than any other brands. Most Netgear, newer Cisco-Linksys, and Belkin routers seem fine (with the Netgears and Ciscos seeming to be the least troublesome at least with Ethernet connections). But if your router settings aren't optimized for MJ use (and that *usually* but not *always means deleting any automatic port forwarding or port triggering settings that may have come shipped as defaults with the router, by the way), it won't make much difference *which* make or model of router you use. As voip services are among the most dependent on proper router settings, get to know your router settings - and MJ's needs in these regards - as well as you possibly can. And I mean settings that are configured via the router's WEB interface, NOT the dumbed-down "quick start" software that probably came with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: