Unofficial magicJack Forum

Unofficial magicJack Forum

Your Unofficial magicJack and magicJack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJ exsisting phone line use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smatinup2678
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: MJ exsisting phone line use

I've had the magicjack for a few months now.
I waned to use more phones off the magicjack but I did not have cordless phones.
So I pluged the MJ into my house jack after I canceled my old service and now I can use any corded phone in my house.... I love this product.. I cant believe a product on a infomercial works so well....
msiam
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I hope you disconnected the outside phone line.. In most cases unplugging the jack that connects the inside wire to the outside, or drop wire.. Very Happy
zmaddmattz
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject:

msiam wrote:
I hope you disconnected the outside phone line.. In most cases unplugging the jack that connects the inside wire to the outside, or drop wire.. Very Happy

I'm glad you pointed that out. me of all people should have known that. But it slipped my mind. today I plugged my whole house in.
smatinup2678
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: MJ exsisting phone line use

Yeah I forgot to say after I disconected the outside phone line. I pluged it into my house lines.
dgo1369
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Disconnect Outside Phone Line?

Ok, I give up. How do you disconnect an outside phone line when everything to the house is underground?
jrd4849
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:

Normally you would disconnect the line in the phone company network interface device (NID) box that should be mounted somewhere on the side of your house. Usually a gray box mounted near the power meter. There is a test jack inside the box with a modular plug in it. To disconnect the line just unplug the modular plug. More info here.
msiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject:

In 99% of cases, you have a grey "NID" or "Network Interface" box on the outside of your house next to, in most cases< the Electric meter. that should have 2 screws, one is a total access for the phone tech, the other is the customer access with one screw holding it closed. To get to your inside wire, open the customer access screw and you will find the rj11 jak that connects your outside feed to the inside wires. Look carefully here, if you are using DSL you may only have one feed, that IS the DSL.It should be marked by the phone tech. Crying or Very sad you cant disconnect that.. if the DSL and the other whole house feed are separate, then you can unplug the inside wire, NOT THE DSL feed. If you have DSL only and are using filters in all your outlets for phones Sad Close it all up and rethink the "disconnect inside wiring " idea.. Unless you want to get an experienced person to look at the wire in your house to see if there are spare wires to rewire your jacks to for use with extensions.. In another 99% you will have spare wire to do this, but, this isn't something I could talk anyone through in a blog forum.. I did see an explanation online one time that explains it in depth, but It had me a little confused and I did this kind of work for 30 years..I just know when I look at the wire what I can do with it, but, that's a lot of time working with it.. Good luck,and if you have a friend that can help you out, offer him or her a beer and "Gitter Done" Very Happy
msiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:

Shocked looks like jrd4849 said it better than me and even had the reference I was referencing to.. Shocked DAAYYYYEEEMMMM!!
dgo1369
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Disconnecting Outside Phone Line

I will have what I'm told is a "dry loop" for my DSL. I'm guessing that - when they decide to disconnect my home phone as I've asked - they will disconnect everything but the dry loop. Is it wrong for me to think they will also disconnect the plug at the junction box as you recommend that I do?
msiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:

If the TelCo provides you with a connection to the NID and then to a specified area, he will most likely leave your inside wire in tac, this will give you the inside wire access unfiltered. The tech will inform you if he is asked, if it is separated or not..Then, it should also be marked in the NID as Line 1 and Line 2 and what they are, the DSL ckt NO. and Tel Number. Then if the Tel No. is separate Very Happy de ya go!!
gabuild1
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: HOUSE PHONES

I just loaded the program and it works when I plug the phone in directly. I then disconnected the outside line and plugged the magic jack into the wall where my phone was plugged in. I then used my cell to call the number and nothing happened. I heard the ring through the cell but the house phone did not ring. any ideas?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject:

If you have "naked DSL" coming in on a dry loop, you must leave that connected at the NID in order for your DSL modem to receive its signal inside your home.

In this case, your best alternative is to use "pair 2" of your house wiring for the MJ distribution. "Pair 1" is generally either green and red wires or white/blue and blue/white wires. "Pair 2" is either yellow and black wires or white/orange and orange/white wires. These are the standards for US/Canada and may vary elsewhere in the world.
yechi7
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I have Comcast cable for my digital phone service, Internet & TV. Is there a way, before I take the plunge & cancel my Comcast phone service, that I can just disconnect the Comcast phone line manually or is everything coming through one cable?
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Comcast Digital Phone, if that is what they truly are providing you, is real phone service that happens to be distributed to your neighborhood via Comcast's fiber distribution system. It is not VoIP service. Comcast has planted field boxes all over town. One of them is within a few hundred yards of your house, probably very close to "the phone company's" neighborhood distribution box.

Comcast's distribution fiber cable goes into that box and the fiber pairs are split out to the various equipment. One pair goes to the equipment that converts the TV channels to coaxial copper and feeds that to the homes. Another pair goes to the internet service equipment that sets up a TV channel for your cable modem to tune to, and that gets mixed onto your coax cable (or feeds a separate coax in some systems). A third pair goes to a telephone interface converter, which converts the telephone services to ordinary copper telephone wire, which is then fed to the phone company's distribution block and delivered to your home on the phone company's drop wire (for underground wiring) or their own drop wire (for overhead wiring).

The bottom line is that the phone line coming into your house is identical to the one that the phone company would have provided. Comcast is responsible for keeping service alive during a power outage, making sure that your service address is registered properly for 911, etc., all of which is your responsibility when using a VoIP service.

If you have a spare wire pair in your house, I would recommend devoting that pair to VoIP service and leaving your POTS line alone.
chrisabston
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: House Wiring (New Issue)

I am fairly tech savy, but this one is throwing me. I have disconnected the main line. I plugged the MJ into the closest wall jack. Only one jack in the house has a dial tone?? I checked to see if there was a possible second line that had been bridged but there is only one hard line and then the other jacks are daisy chained.

Any help?

Thanks,
Chris
arcadia2uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it's the same problem as with CID, the signal must be strengthened. If so, here's a solution;
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/inbound-cid-possible-fix-t108.html
mberlant
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject:

When you "disconnected the main line," where did you do that? On the outside of the house? How many pairs of wire were plugged into the NID? You need to have bridged all of the wires you removed from the NID, since you don't have access to Ma Bell's side of that box, and have no choice but to leave their incoming wire alone. It is very likely that you have two or more daisies in your house, all coming together in the NID.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficial magicJack Forum -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: