magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ + Failures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: MJ + Failures Reply with quote

I have been using MJ+ for about three months, and it has failed twice. Both time it was fixed after a long time on chat with MJ. Suggested remedies included things like
"change the ethernet cable",
"change the telephone cord",
update the software.

The only process that seemed to work both times was the tech person "refreshed your connection at our end".

I have no idea what the means, but does anyone have any experience with this type of problem.

Is there a way to update the software while it is connected to the router? or
is there any benefit to powered the unit down for a few minutes on a regular basis?

I'm generally happy with the system but not impressed with the failures. If I need to call 911 I don't want to spend time on the chat system first.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene - You didn't tell us what you mean by "failure" and it's kind of hard to determine a possible cure if we don't really know the specific symptoms. But regardless and to answer your question (including my suggestions):

1. At this point in time the MagicJack Plus's firmware can only be updated when it's connected to the Internet and MJ servers via a computer's USB port. So it's best to do this occasionally, say once/month (not that they actually update it once/month, it's not that frequent but they unfortunately don't notify everyone by email or whatever when an update's available).

2. Powering down and restarting MJ+ periodically IS a good idea; so is doing the same regarding one's modem and router. MY recommendation is to - at least once per month if not once per week - unplug the MJ+ and its cables, then power down the router, then the modem. WAIT 10 MINUTES. Then power up the modem, and wait for it to FULLY connect, initialize with ISP settings, etc. Then power up the router and wait for IT to fully re-initialize itself, reconnect with the modem, restart its Wi-Fi service, and reconnect to any *other* devices (other than the MJ+) that may be connected to it. THEN reconnect and plug in the MJ+ IN THE EXACT ORDER THAT IT'S INSTRUCTIONS STATE (this is more important than most people realize).

3. Always use the best quality Ethernet cables you can afford, and the *shortest* cables necessary for your particular setup, for *all* of your Ethernet connections. That means using at least high quality Cat5e if not Cat 6 cables.

4. I always STRONGLY recommend that one's modem, router, cordless phone base station (if any) and MJ+ AC adapter be powered by a *good* UPS (that has at least some degree of automatic voltage regulation in addition to surge protection and fast switching to battery power); this will prevent one's local power fluctuations from screwing up the MJ+ and all related Internet and phone equipment. I also always recommend that the little USB extension cable that comes with the MJ+ be used to connect it to its AC adapter; this will help to keep heat-related stress on the MJ+ hardware to a minimum.

6. It's also a good idea to, say once/week, go online into your MJ account and make sure that all of your settings are exactly as you wish and need them to be; sometimes when MJ updates its back-end programs and data etc. it inadvertently changes account holders' settings to ones that make no sense (it's also true that sometimes customers accidentally change their settings to undesired ones, or change them with temporary intentions then forget to go back and reset them to their permanent ones).

7. Lastly, as I've discovered myself, sometimes it's not the MJ+ or the MJ network services or even one's router, modem or ISP that drops calls etc. but actually one's cordless phone. It's important that the cordless phone system's transmission frequencies be as least likely to conflict with one's router's Wi-Fi signal as possible - otherwise significant problems can ensue. For most (but not all) routers currently in use, this usually means using a Dect 6 cordless system and keeping the handset(s) charged at more than just the minimum ("one bar") level.

I know all of this sounds like a real hassle at least in the short term, but if you do all of it you'll maximize your chances of keeping your dirt-cheap MJ voip phone service reliable and hassle-free over the longer haul, and have the added advantage of being able to use your MJ phone service during a power outage (provided of course that your ISP's Internet service doesn't go down along with your area's electric service).

P.S. It's also true that usually about 90 mins. into a call MJ will terminate the call just in case the user forgot to hang up, and to ensure that its servers don't get overloaded. Occasionally a call will be terminated sooner than 90 mins. if the server(s) involved have gotten overloaded; this rarely happens anymore but it *is* still possible.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

"Failure" means it simply won't make calls.

I use a cordless phone and dialing a number leads to a dial tone, and I can hear it dialing but the call does not go through. i.e it does not ring through.

I have since learned that it actually does ring through, but when the person at the other end picks up, there is no connection.

Incoming calls go to voice mail and don't ring through, so don't get answered.

I'll try your suggestion of powering down occasional to see if it works.
SteveHC
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene45 - If you do what I suggested and it still isn't isn't working (and be sure to check ALL of your MJ account settings online - as well as your ROUTER'S settings - to make SURE they're ALL correct), try calling and receiving calls from at least a few different local exchanges and one or two different area codes to see if the problem is confined to calls to/from a certain area code and/or exchange, then notify MJ via live chat to see if they can fix your account at their end.
Gene45
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can check the settings but I'm not sure if I will know what is a correct setting.

I'm a neophyte at most of this .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: