magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MJ+ issue causing the Error 3002

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Nawtee
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: MJ+ issue causing the Error 3002 Reply with quote

Great to see there is an MJ forum.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Anyway, I'm trying to see if anyone here has a solution to my problem. After several elevated chats nothing has yet to be resolved. I was told by two supervisor's they've sent my issue/problem to the MJ engineer's for review and they'll resolve my problem. (holding my breath)

Hopefully, someone in this forum may have some suggestions/solutions.

Here is my set up and problem encountered.

Motorola Surfboard Modem: SB5101
D-Link Router for Vonage: VWR-VR
Netgear Universal Wireless Range Extender WN2000RPT

Currently the Vonage service on the D-Link Router has been terminated/disconnected. I also have a Vonage adapter connected to the the same router. The Vonage adapter through the Ethernet port is working fine.

I have also disconnected the adapter for testing. (The adapter is the phone number I will be eventually porting over and eliminating the adapter totally).

When the MJ+ is plugged into any Ethernet router port's I obtain the Ethernet green light, but the phone jack yellow light is not lit, resulting in the 3002 error message on the pone handset. It doesn't matter which Ethernet port's I use. I have also plugged the MJ+ directly into the Ethernet port of the modem without any of the other devices connected. Again, same error message.

Yes, my IP allows multiple devices to be connected since currently have 1 device connected with the Range Extender. This device was also able to be hard wired to the Ethernet port on the router and it worked fine.

We've also done multiple port forwarding, including enabling DMZ. Still no go with the router. I know I could possibly use another router if it comes down to having to. No, I haven't set up another router I have available at this point.

However, when plugging into the Netgear Wireless Range Extender the MJ+ works fine to a degree. I questioned another Techie regarding the phone jack yellow light continually flickering, but the Techie said it should be fine, but stated the yellow light should actually be steady. The Techie asked if I could make and receive calls. For testing purposes I said "yes". So, basically this Techie considered the issue resolved saying to just use the Wireless Range Extender and bypass the router all together if MJ+ is working.

I told the Techie just to consider the basic fact and to pretend I'm a customer who doesn't have this Wireless Range Extender available.

My MJ+ DOES NOT WORK while attached to the router as a normal router connection customer. Why?

The Techie said he'll also forward and expedite this information to the MJ engineer's for their review. Of course I'm not holding my breath for a response or a solution to get this MJ+ working correctly through this router.

Any advise, suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for reading through this lengthy post.

Mr Nawtee
xyzzy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/getting-error-3002-with-mj-t11291.html MJ failed to obtain an IP via DHCP on a D-Link DI-524 router. Port forwarding and DMZ do nothing as the MJ did not get an IP.

I got it to work on a non-D-Link router, but returned it for other reasons.

Last edited by xyzzy on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Nawtee
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see anything helpful within that link
udsting
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you will be using a Modem + Router Combo, you need to connect the magicjack plus to the router and make sure DMZ is enabled in your router, visit www.portforward.com for port forwarding your magicjack in your router.
xyzzy
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nawtee wrote:
I didn't see anything helpful within that link

There isn't anything helpful. There just seems to be an incompatibility with some D-Link routers.

Things tried:
- reflash latest firmwase to MJ plus while attached to USB
- open UDP ports 5060 and 5070
- put in DMZ
- reboot everything a million times

If you can access your router's DHCP page, you should be able to see the MACID of the MJ plus. Look at the page before plugging it in, plug it in and refresh the page. That should show you the MACID and any IP address assigned to it. On mine, it simply never was assigned an IP address. Without that, there is sweet FA you can do.

My MJ plus did work directly connected to the DSL modem - not useful for doing anything else. It also worked connected to a different brand of router.

Ultimately, I returned mine because every time someone called my two day old number from a different area code, they received the "Call routed as local, contact your provider message". A phone that can't accept incoming calls is useless to me.

Sometimes learning that there is no helpful information IS the helpful information.
scotty200
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just buy a different router wold save u a lot of time i got mine to work on a TP link others have got it to work on Belkin and netgear flashed with tomato

hope this helps

have a good one
Matt9876
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend a Linksys router with the QOS feature.

It has worked great since 2008 for my MJ and now my MJ+.
dspman
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: MJ+ issue causing the Error 3002 Reply with quote

I fixed this issue on my D-Link VWR as follows:

1. Connect the MJ+ to a VWR RJ-45 port and power up your modem and the MJ+ first (important).
2. Power up the VWR last (important).
3. Log into the VWR (typically 192.168.15.1 user/user).
4. At the Home/DHCP tab, check the "Reserved" box next to the MJ+ (which will display as "unknown") and click on "Apply".
5. At the Advanced/Virtual Server tab, select the IP address reserved for the MJ+ on the pull-down box, then click the "User" button.
6. Click on "New" and create a rule named "MJ+" (or whatever you prefer), Protocol UDP, start port 5060, end port 5070, port map 5060, and click on "Apply"
7. Back at the Advanced/Virtual Server tab, (with the proper IP address displayed) select the "MJ+" rule and click "Add". Then click "Apply"
8. On Home/System click on "Reboot".
9. Wait for the router to restart, and check for proper operation. The green light on the MJ+ RJ-45 jack should be steady on, and the yellow light should be blinking slowly, about once per second. Verify proper operation of the MJ+.
10. Save your configuration using the Home/System "Get Configuration" button. You can later retrieve it using the "Choose File" and "Restore Configuration" buttons.
11. Log out - you're done.

There is a handshaking issue between the D-Link VWR and the MJ+ requiring that the MJ+ be powered up before the VWR is powered up or restarted. That was the key to making things work. For system stability, I have the router and MJ+ powered by a UPS battery backup to eliminate power dropouts and enable use during brownouts/blackouts. Line and/or WAN dropouts, or updates from MJ might undo the handshake and produce 3002 or other error messages. These can be cleared by powering down, unplugging the VWR, powering back up (including the MJ+), then powering up the VWR. This should restore the handshaking sequence and proper operation.

If the handshaking sequence is not properly followed, the MJ+ will not work, regardless of any port forwarding or DMZ. (BTW: this power-up sequence is not required when the MJ+ is plugged directly into the modem - it's a router to MJ+ handshake issue.)

Setting up the DMZ, forwarding ports 49152 and 65525, and allowing incoming ping were initially tried, and then disabled. The MJ+ works on this router without these specifically enabled. (The MJ site indicates that only UDP ports 5060 and 5070 are used.) Opening only ports absolutely required minimizes the risk of unwanted hacking attacks.

Proper handshaking can be seen by monitoring the MJ+ LEDs. The blue "+" comes up first, then a blinking yellow behind it. The RJ-45 green LED comes on when the router is first powered up and blinks as data are passed. The yellow LED then comes up steady while the router acquires the MJ+, and then flashes once per second once the handshake is complete.

Hope this helps someone.
Mayo
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic jack doesnt work on every router
UmarTO
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: SOLUTION FOUND Reply with quote

This is a common problem with MJ+ it seems from a quick google search. I faced the same issue again and again and tried a bunch of things. I did a few things which resolved the issue (though I am not exactly sure which did it). I will list them in reverse order... please try the first one and if that doesnot work out please go to setup 2, etc. Leaving applied what you did in step 1. (ie: I right now have all the things done and so not sure even if they work in combination- ie: multiple issues).

STEP 1: MJ has shipped a cheap USB adapter. But any decent USB adapter from any where (you dont need to spend a fortune. Any 5$ to 10$ adapter should do. I used one that was lying around in the house. Some people even report that this improves the sound quality in the MJ+ and reduces the random noise. I am not too sure of that part as I don't use MJ+ much. If this doesn't do the trick move to step 2; leave MJ+ connected via the new adapter.

STEP 2: MJ has shipped a very slim Ethernet cable with apparently untwisted wires susceptible to EMI. Who knows may be rest of the wires near the MJ+ were interfering with the data transmission. Connect any regular Ethernet cable from router to MJ+. I had a patch cable lying around that I used. If that doesn't work move to step 3, leaving this and previous steps done.

STEP 3: Some people claimed that at times the router block certain MAC (firewall) and that causes that problem. That was not the case for me, but I do have MAC authentication enabled on my Wifi router so I added the MJ+ MAC to the list of allowed devices. Its MAC begins with 6C:... Look through routers logs to find it or google for help on how to find MJ+ MAC. DO NOT GO to MJ+ support. They have clueless homeless indians sitting there for support (no offence to indians - I am one too). So they are bound to confuse you even more. Do not seek MJ+ support help... other users will be more knowledgeable.

STEP 4: Some people claim this issue happens when your MJ+ does not get a static IP address. So assign a static IP from the range available to router DHCP. Tell it to assign the device with MAC 6C:xxxxxxxxx the IP address XXXXXX. I know this was not the issue for me as well because one I got error 3002 and I checked the IP address that the MJ+ had at that time and it was the same it had since so many days. (Yes I had done yet another thing, turned the DHCP lease to 30 days instead of the default of certain hours.)

STEP 5: One thing to do also is to increase the DHCP lease in router settings to make sure its not changing too quickly for the MJ+.

STEP 6: Yet somewhere else I saw people insisted that we use a static IP that is out of router DHCP address range (which doesn't make any sense as the static IP was already marked as exclusion under DHCP setting and dedicated to my MJ+ for assignment -- but hey who is arguing. At this point I was so desperate I could try any thing).

STEP 7: Yet again some people said you have to push the MJ+ via MJ site to use the static IP. They said to fix that there is this way (though some people claim that doesnt work - I am not sure if it does but whats the harm in trying?). Go to http://my.magicjack.com/ and login in. Then under "Call Features" menu dropdown select "Advanced".Under Static Configuration uncheck Use DHCP and type in an IP Address which is not from the range available to your router DHCP. I used the following settings:

Use DHCP (unchecked)
IP Address= x.x.x.201
Subnet Mask= 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP=x.x.x.1
Broadcast IP (optional)=x.x.x..255
DNS Server 1=x.x.x.1
DNS Server 2 (optional)=8.8.8.8

So in simple words I am telling MJ to use 201 (because my router assigns DNS from the range 2 to 200), and to talk to Gateway and DNS (both is the router IP address) and finally I used the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 as the optional DNS2; in case my ISP messed up their DNS etc. Use your own relevant IP addresses please.

STEP 8: Some people correctly advised that check for loose connections. Many times the outlets/extension bar is so crowded with the adapters that some of them are loosely connected. Make sure you have firm connection.

STEP 9: I know this is not a solution, but its the first every one told me... restart everything. It is at the very least a temporary solution.

STEP 10: If nothing works for you (which I highly doubt), there is only one thing left to do. Carefully take MJ+ to the nearest freeway and properly lay it in path of an oncomming truck. The satisfaction of shredding it would be worth it! (if nothing else seems to work for you)
***DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A JOKE AND I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANY SUCH ACTION AND NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU END UP DIEING AS YOU WERE NOT FAST ENOUGH TO MOVE AWAY FROM ONCOMMING TRUCK OR IF YOU ARE BLINDED BY FLYING SPLINTER OR WHATEVER. ALSO WHILE THIS GUIDE MIGHT SOUND OTHERWISE I AM NOT UNGRATEFUL TO MJ. THOUGH MJ+ IS NOT THE BEST AND SUPPORT IS POOR, YET IT HAS SAVED ME FROM RIDICULUS CHARGES JUST FOR A HOME PHONE"

All the best. If it works (which I am 99% sure it will) just remember me in your prayers and well wishes.

Cheers

Umar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: