magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ on office network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amc.toth
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: MJ on office network? Reply with quote

Anyone run MJ on an office computer on a network? Our firm has a rule of no unauthorized programs or hardware (altho I've got my Palm, iTunes, etc). I've used my MJ on the office computer for a couple of years but all of a sudden my MJ softphone won't sign in. Tried upgrade.exe but no go. Also sometimes get Error 3 altho I have constant access to the internet. (I don't have Admin rights, can't ask our Techs or they'll be fired, can't disable firewall or antivirus, etc, etc).

Any thoughts, suggestions?
maine-iac
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're willing to risk your job for a free phone call?
tsmith
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If your firm has those established rules you're lucky you didn't get yourself kicked out the door. I suggest you stop breaking your employer's rules and take your MJ home.
hsweiss
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely they've blocked the SIP ports. Therefore MJ will not work. But more than likely Skype will work since it can use HTTP or HTTPS ports which are usually open (unless they've got a really good firewall doing deep inspection).
amc.toth
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. They have not published any 'rules' about this.

Our firm is extraordinarily cheap. In order to call home (2 area codes away) they've charged $1.00 per min + a surcharge. Insulting as their phone system is VOIP! So a couple of us have used mJ in the office. But I suspect their upgrade may have blocked us as you suggest.

And I doubt they'd fire us for this so I don't see the risk.
cell14
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In order to call home (2 area codes away) they've charged $1.00 per min + a surcharge

Hmmm... what about cell phone or 800 access calling card ? Surprised
kuhntech
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because the phone on your desk is a VOIP phone, doesn't mean that outgoing calls are going through a VOIP provider. Chances are, that your phone connects to the office PBX system through VOIP and is then routed through analogue lines or a t1/e1 circuit from your local telecom provider. Very few businesses rely 100% on VOIP providers. The ports for SIP protocol are probably blocked at your company's firewall. If this is the case, SIP will work within the company but will not travel through to the internet. I would try Hot Spot Shield. http://www.hotspotshield.com/
amc.toth
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell 14: - my firm is in a NYC high-rise office bldg with lots of steel to cause all sorts of cellphone problems. And mJ was nicer (and cheaper) than the 800 cards we used to use prior to buying an mJ.

kuhntech: - Thanks for the explanation. I understand they don't rely 100% on VOIP - my comment went to how 'cheap' they were to use Voip and then charge us a surcharge just to call home (or other personal stuff)! I suspected there was some sort of blocking but found it strange as we have open access to the 'Net. Not sure how to use 'hotspotshield' tho (I'm not that savvy with all this tech) - will it provide me with access via my mJ ?
kuhntech
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Spot Shield is a free program that you install on your computer. All of your internet traffic is then routed through the VPN connection it establishes and the ports for SIP are then opened to the internet.
amc.toth
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never seemed to work. It appeared to be in a loop, continually trying to connect. Continually in a state: TCP Connect Wait or Waiting for Server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Magic Jack Technical Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: