magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ SIP Password Changed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manachinu
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: MJ SIP Password Changed Reply with quote

Today i noticed my MJ wasnt able to connect using Softphone or ATA . Decided to take a new dump and noticed MJ Password was changes.

Anyone with similar issue ?
mrjlturner
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: MJ SIP Password Changed Reply with quote

Same issue..but I can't even find the password in my dump file...this stinks! What was the field name that you found yours under?

manachinu wrote:
Today i noticed my MJ wasnt able to connect using Softphone or ATA . Decided to take a new dump and noticed MJ Password was changes.

mrjlturner
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: MJ SIP Password Changed Reply with quote

Found another post with the same issues...The latest update blocks the SIP credentials from being seen in the dump file...unless you are sneaky...

mrjlturner wrote:
Same issue..but I can't even find the password in my dump file...this stinks! What was the field name that you found yours under?

manachinu wrote:

kumar
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im gonna try to revert and dump it...

Kumar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kumeil
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ SIP Password Changed Reply with quote

What did you use to capture that dump? I tried Windows Vista and got the Dump, but it doesn't have any information anymore. Any help would be appreciated.
Sherwin Williams
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ SIP Password Changed Reply with quote

mrjlturner wrote:
Found another post with the same issues...The latest update blocks the SIP credentials from being seen in the dump file...unless you are sneaky...

The SIP password is still in the dump file. No need to be sneaky.

Start your softphone, when you see "ready to call", do your pmdump.

Password is in there. 20 ASCII characters long.
pagemen
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so this might be a coincident...

my PAP2 can't register yesterday night, wasn't aware of the credential issue so I do a factory reset and set everything up again--MJ started working after that, with old password...
propizza
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new pass on one mj and the same on my other
pagemen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just run pmdump again, same password...anyway, i guess all users will get a new password, just a matter of time.
konnan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issue , but i redump it again, and suprise New password, same proxyuri... so MJ it now working in my ata...
synchron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for me - got a new password - Oddly enough lot's of O's and 0's so it took a few tries to authenticate. Wondering if besides it being 20 characters they're making it harder although any ASCII chart will tell you the difference between O vs 0.

Synchron Cool
konnan
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sychron: I resolved that issue by open the dump with notepad and just make a copy paste...
synchron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut/paste does not work for me. The process allows me to enter 20 characters but wants me to manually type it twice (like many webforms when wanting to authenticate someone).

Synchron Cool
gooney

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download this hex editor to view your dump... loads faster than wordpad and notepad... its fast and its free.

Hex Edit Free 2.5F

http://www.download.com/Hex-Edit-Free/3000-2352_4-10046060.html?tag=mncol
jamoke
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Pmdump Issue? Reply with quote

I've been able to retrieve my credentials in the past using pmdump. However, when I run the app, it seems to exit the dump quickly, leaving a file size of about 79MB. Am I doing something wrong? I can't find the proper string that contained my password as I have in the past. Is there a relationship of when I start the dump and placing a call?
angel-78
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use textpad and it worked fine. I also got a new password. I don't know if anyone noticed but they also changed the User-Agent.
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, my password must of changed. I have been running fine on a Linksys PAP2-NA, for many months now. But I am having trouble getting the new password, using pmdump or vista's dump feature.
manachinu
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just timing issue...you have to run pmdump as soon as you see magicjack in process list.
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I am doing it before magicjack even finishes loading up (using my own shortcut), as soon as I see it in the taskmanager. I am right clicking and dumping. Not giving it time to do much of anything.

Edit: Ok I got it. The trick is not to do it to fast or to slow. As soon as magicjack opens up, and you see the gui. Very soon, magicjack will try to sign in. You want to start the dump, right before this process.

Last edited by Taken83oveR on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
G�nter H�hn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken83oveR wrote:
Yea, I am doing it before magicjack even finishes loading up (using my own shortcut), as soon as I see it in the taskmanager. I am right clicking and dumping. Not giving it time to do much of anything.

Edit: Ok I got it. The trick is not to do it to fast or to slow. As soon as magicjack opens up, and you see the gui. Very soon, magickack will try to sign in. You want to start the dump, right before this process.

I believe the password will be in there all the time. My MJ has been running for a few days, and the steps below work fine.

Assuming you strings, pmdump, and grep in your PATH, you can get your password like this
  1. Find the pid for your magicjack.exe
    Code:
    C:\>pmdump -list|grep -i magicjack
     31337 - magicJack.exe

2. Dump the magicjack.exe process using the pid listed above
    Code:
    pmdump 31337 dumpfile.dat

3. use grep to pull out possible passwords (I'm sure there is easier way to do this)
    Code:
    C:\>strings dumpfile.dat | grep -w -E [0-9A-Z]{20} |grep -v -E [a-z~!@#$%^&*()_+\[\=">""<".;:']

Your password will be one of the strings displayed.

Edited to fix grep statement. Thank you to posters.

Last edited by G�nter H�hn on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:47 am; edited 4 times in total
kumeil
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I am trying to get the password again. I do a dump when it says ready to call. I still can't find the password inside. What field am I looking for? THANKS.
robatino
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I believe the password will be in there all the time. My MJ has been running for a few days, and the steps below work fine.

In general, it won't be. I did a successful dump by doing it quickly, before the phone call. It contains the password on a line starting with "ProxyUserPassword=". A dump I did just after the phone call doesn't contain either this string or the password (which I did a separate search for). I did both dumps after the latest MJ update.

> What field am I looking for? THANKS.

Search for "ProxyUserPassword" (without quotes). If the password is there, it will be immediately after that.
Sherwin Williams
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G�nter H�hn wrote:
Taken83oveR wrote:

Edit: Ok I got it. The trick is not to do it to fast or to slow. As soon as magicjack opens up, and you see the gui. Very soon, magickack will try to sign in. You want to start the dump, right before this process.

I believe the password will be in there all the time. My MJ has been running for a few days, and the steps below work fine.

Assuming you strings, pmdump, and grep in your PATH, you can get your password like this
    Code:
     31337 - magicJack.exe

Code:

3. use grep to pull out possible passwords (I'm sure there is easier way to do this)
    Code:
    C:\>strings dumpfile.dat | grep -w -E [0-9A-Z]{20} |grep -v -E [a-z~!@#$%^&*()_+\"\[=<>.;:']

Nice use of the grep command. Had my password in like 3 seconds with that beauty.
neo2121

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i get a lot of e-mails on the subject of not being able to find the password in the dump file. Well there is a new tool out over at magicjackhacks.com its the top news story right now. But this program uses pmdump and takes about 5 min but in the end it will spit out your password via command line.

In regards to the update not allowing you to get the password anymore I plugged my magicjack just to get the download ran the program and still got the password they haven't changed my password either. Well I hope this helps a few people out
alphabeta
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all Zeros when I search for the "ProxyUserPassword" . Is this right or I am missing something?
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:
Well i get a lot of e-mails on the subject of not being able to find the password in the dump file. Well there is a new tool out over at magicjackhacks.com its the top news story right now. But this program uses pmdump and takes about 5 min but in the end it will spit out your password via command line.

In regards to the update not allowing you to get the password anymore I plugged my magicjack just to get the download ran the program and still got the password they haven't changed my password either. Well I hope this helps a few people out

PM.exe, does not run on x64.
SpamBox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:

Works on XP Media Center Edition just fine. Had to run it twice though. The first time my MJ was 'upgraded' and your 'magic' found my old pw. Unplugged MJ, re-ran your 'magic', re-plugged my MJ, and it found my new pw.

Thanks! Saved me from getting a headache. Very easy to use.
-SpamBox
G�nter H�hn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo2121 wrote:

Ha. I was thinking the same thing thing. I've received almost 40 PM's since posting. There is not need to wait 5 minutes to get your SIP info. I posted above how to get it in 5 seconds. Without running some unknown exe!

Don't know about you, but, I don't randomly run exe's that people post!
Taken83oveR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G�nter H�hn wrote:
Taken83oveR wrote:

Code:
     31337 - magicJack.exe

Code:

Code:
    C:\>strings dumpfile.dat | grep -w -E [0-9A-Z]{20} |grep -v -E [a-z~!@#$%^&*()_+\"\[=<>.;:']

I get a error when using your method. Thought I would try it, just for fun.
joevv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the only passwords that were changed was the ones running ATA's or other softphones . I know this for a fact so that means MJ can tell which users are not using their softphone and specifically targeted those users only. Sorta of an ECM. If you persist on not using the MJ softphone I guess the next step would be termination. Besides, they now have the ability to change your password at random so do you want to dump everyday?
Poo619
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know for a fact that they only changed the passwords on people who use ATA's? The only people who would even realize their password was changed are those searching for it to use on an ATA so I can't possible see how you can say that you know for a fact.
neo2121

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G�nter H�hn wrote:

Ha. I was thinking the same thing thing. I've received almost 40 PM's since posting. There is not need to wait 5 minutes to get your SIP info. I posted above how to get it in 5 seconds. Without running some unknown exe!

Don't know about you, but, I don't randomly run exe's that people post!

included is the source code for the file so you can look it over if you think its malicious. Just trying to help out I don't know how you get your password but it takes my rig about 5 min to dump the exe and then for me to open the file and scroll all the way to the bottom and copy and paste we just made it simpler that's all. use it don't use it I don't care its there though Smile have good one
G�nter H�hn
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:
Looks like the only passwords that were changed was the ones running ATA's or other softphones . I know this for a fact so that means MJ can tell which users are not using their softphone and specifically targeted those users only. Sorta of an ECM. If you persist on not using the MJ softphone I guess the next step would be termination. Besides, they now have the ability to change your password at random so do you want to dump everyday?

My password changed, and I do not use an ATA.

If properly configured, there is no way magicJack can tell you are using an ATA.
jamoke
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Proper Configuration Reply with quote

How does one "properly" configure their device so MJ can't tell what you're using? I would imagine it's a matter of setting the user agent, but I'm not sure how you set this for the MJ trunk versus all SIP trunks globally. I am an Asterisk user.

Last edited by jamoke on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
gooney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:

I think they would rather terminate your account if they know youre using an ata rather than just changing password.

neo2121 wrote:

included is the source code for the file so you can look it over if you think its malicious. Just trying to help out I don't know how you get your password but it takes my rig about 5 min to dump the exe and then for me to open the file and scroll all the way to the bottom and copy and paste we just made it simpler that's all. use it don't use it I don't care its there though Smile have good one

Tested your little utility just for fun and i must say you guys did a very good job... took around 3 seconds is all to get the password and no need for timing pmdump.

G�nter H�hn wrote:

Code:
     31337 - magicJack.exe

Code:

Code:

Tested your workaround and works really well... great job with grep

Last edited by gooney on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
joevv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poo619 wrote:
How do you know for a fact that they only changed the passwords on people who use ATA's? The only people who would even realize their password was changed are those searching for it to use on an ATA so I can't possible see how you can say that you know for a fact.

I have many MJ's and I have the sip info on all of them. I use some with ATA's and others with Mj softphone. All of the ATA's stoped working when the passwords changed. When I reaquired the sip info and compared to the originals only the ATA's had changed the others did not.
joevv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G�nter H�hn wrote:

If properly configured, there is no way magicJack can tell you are using an ATA.

Don't be so sure. The Mj softphone interacts with many windoze apps. Resgistry for one so don't miss inform people by stating that there's no way mj can tell if you're using an ATA.
MagicHack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:
G�nter H�hn wrote:

Don't be so sure. The Mj softphone interacts with many windoze apps. Resgistry for one so don't miss inform people by stating that there's no way mj can tell if you're using an ATA.

The magicJack does in fact read/write from the registry, but none of that information is in fact passed to magicJack. If you do a network capture using wireshark, you'll see they use standard SIP. Nothing more, nothing less. So, assuming you set your user-agent string appropriately, the packets will look as though they came right from the magicJack.
joevv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooney wrote:
[
I think they would rather terminate your account if they know youre using an ata rather than just changing password.

The answer is obvious. This board alone has over 16,000 registered members. Most come here to learn how to use ATA's and other softphones to use with linux. I estimate the number of people using other softphone/hardware to be in the thousands (very conservative estimate).
Its not in MJ's best interest to terminate that many users right now but in the future they may because the revenue lost would not cause a major impact on their business.
alphabeta
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:
gooney wrote:
[

The answer is obvious. This board alone has over 16,000 registered members. Most come here to learn how to use ATA's and other softphones to use with linux. I estimate the number of people using other softphone/hardware to be in the thousands (very conservative estimate).
Its not in MJ's best interest to terminate that many users right now but in the future they may because the revenue lost would not cause a major impact on their business.

How using ATA causing revenue loss?
joevv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicHack wrote:
[... assuming you set your user-agent string appropriately, the packets will look as though they came right from the magicJack.

There you go. That's one way they could tell if your are not using their softphone. All they have to do is change the user Agent. Their softphone will reply with the correct value others will not.
joevv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphabeta wrote:
How using ATA causing revenue loss?

I didn't say using ATA's caused revenue lost. Terminating all ATA users would be a revenue lost to MJ
gooney

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joevv wrote:

By the way i have been using ata since feb or maybe march i forgot lol anyway they have not changed my password and it is still running as of this moment. maybe it will change today hahaha never know.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken83oveR wrote:
G�nter H�hn wrote:
Taken83oveR wrote:

Code:
     31337 - magicJack.exe

Code:

Code:

I get a error when using your method. Thought I would try it, just for fun.

I get the exact same error.
synchron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, how important is it to enter the user-agent string header? The ATA does not have a field entry for this in either SIP Proxy settings or SIP User Account, however, I could enter it via Telnet and their CLI (It's an Innomedia MTA6328re). I get both Voip light successful registration without the user-agent string.

I also Wireshark captured with both MJ dongle and with ATA and I can't seem to find where this user-agent string is used. Is it really necessary and will I get flagged for it?

TIA,

Synchron. Cool
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synchron wrote:
Guys, how important is it to enter the user-agent string header? The ATA does not have a field entry for this in either SIP Proxy settings or SIP User Account, however, I could enter it via Telnet and their CLI (It's an Innomedia MTA6328re). I get both Voip light successful registration without the user-agent string.

I also Wireshark captured with both MJ dongle and with ATA and I can't seem to find where this user-agent string is used. Is it really necessary and will I get flagged for it?

TIA,

Synchron. Cool

There seems to be no place to change the user-agent on the Innomedia. I just turned the user-agent header off but it probably will not make any difference.
MagicHack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:

Gunther, I get that error too. However, when I escape the brackets, it works...

So, change your grep to be something like:

Code:
strings mj.bin | grep -w -E [0-9A-Z]{20} | grep -v -E [a-z~!@#$%^&*()_+\[\=">""<".;:']
mufon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laserjobs wrote:
synchron wrote:

TIA,

Synchron. Cool

There seems to be no place to change the user-agent on the Innomedia. I just turned the user-agent header off but it probably will not make any difference.

The Innomedia is probably like the AC-211 in that the user-agent string is configure via provisioning config file. If you can get an admin guide for the Innomedia, it probably provides details.
laserjobs
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mufon wrote:
laserjobs wrote:
synchron wrote:

TIA,

Synchron. Cool

The Innomedia is probably like the AC-211 in that the user-agent string is configure via provisioning config file. If you can get an admin guide for the Innomedia, it probably provides details.

I could not find it anywhere in the documentation
http://www.innomedia.com/manuals/AdministratorGuide_IP%20Devices_v1_1.pdf
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagicHack wrote:
VaHam wrote:

Gunther, I get that error too. However, when I escape the brackets, it works...

So, change your grep to be something like:

Code:
strings mj.bin | grep -w -E [0-9A-Z]{20} | grep -v -E [a-z~!@#$%^&*()_+\[\=">""<".;:']

Thanks Gunter and you MagicHack that fixed the problem I was having.

Interesting the MJ password did not change on the MJ I was testing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Tips, Tricks, and Hacks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: