magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ+ Started dropping calls with Router, but not with PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OnTheFritz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: MJ+ Started dropping calls with Router, but not with PC Reply with quote

I've had MJ+ for three months. I've had it connected directly to the router via ethernet. It's worked perfectly. A few days ago, it started dropping calls after a few minutes of talking. It works fine when plugged directly into the PC, but now I have to keep the PC on.

I tried the software upgrade. I switched the ethernet cable. I restarted the modem/router etc. I doubt it's the router settings since it worked fine for months.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
OnTheFritz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seemed to work for a 30 minute call at least.

Unplug the MJ+

Uninstall the software with:

http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe

Plug it back into the PC. Let it install again.

Run the upgrade with this:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

Hook it back into the network.

I'll post again to let you know how it goes.
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do I have been having alot of dropped calls thru the router. I have moved it to the PC and seems to be stable. While it was in the router the calls would intermittently drop after 5 to 10 minutes.
OnTheFritz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked perfectly all day today. No dropped calls and it's on the network hooked into the router via ethernet. I bet they did something with their servers and that you needed to upgrade it to match what they did and keep it stable.
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Mine still dropping calls Reply with quote

My MJPlus is dropping calls as well. Tried the update method still the same.
OnTheFritz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problems came back too. I'm still looking for answers. I don't want to run a computer all day to run magic jack.
shleets
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ready for dependable router support. Run on a pc for dependability. The world's larget VoIP system run on servers why should this be any different. Buy the original MJ and not waste your money on MJ+..
OnTheFritz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to stay connected for a 40 min call today by disabling the firewall and adding 192.168.2.5 to the DMZ in the router settings. I'll try to turn the firewall back on and see.
mkretired
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried your fix of deleting the software and running the upgrade on the 3rd of march and as of today the 14th mj+ has been running great. longest call 45 min. with no dropped calls. did change old dynex router with Cisco
wireless Valet ($26 at walmart) everything else was left the same. thanks
kito0t
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

set DMZ on your router or add 5060 and 5070 on portforwarding
molodyets
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had an old MJ and when the MJ Plus came out I bought one, because I liked the fact it didn't need a computer running. It seemed to work OK at first and then about the 2nd or 3rd week in February 2012 it started dropping calls. The problem got very bad, so bad that using the MJ Plus was problematical. I am using (or was using a Linksys WRT54GS with firmware 1.52.8. I tried EVERYTHING. I tried the "port forwarding" thing, I tried setting up a "DMZ", I tried monkeying with the static IP setup info on the my.magicjack.com web site, and I tried establishing a static IP address for the MJ Plus, and every combination of the above, and NOTHING HELPED. So on a lark I thought, let me try another router. So I attached the MJ Plus to a Netgear WGR614 V4 - lo and behold, it worked MUCH MUCH better. In fact after about a week now, I have only had one dropped call and that was talking to somebody on a cell phone that may have had bad signal. So I am very hopeful this problem has for me at least been largely solved. I read somewhere that the WRT54GS has two problems: (1) there is a bug in the SIP implementation in some of the routers (depending on serial number) and (2) some of the routers are "neutered" meaning they have less memory in them (again depending on the serial number). I researched and mine is a "neutered" WRT54GS so that may have something to do with it. I should add my WRT54GS worked absolutely flawlessly with EVERYTHING except my MJ Plus - no other problems and speed and range was quite good. So there you have it - my experience anyway. Good luck. Molodyets in CA
omgpwnd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have MagicJack Plus, attached to my router instead of my computer, and it would disconnect all my calls. I followed this recommendation, PLUS added the ports, hooked it back up to the router, and it WORKS now! It's been 2 days, and I've had 3 long calls, one over an hour, and two over 30 mins, with no more disconnects at all. Thank you all for your help - I was getting frustrated - now I'm happy =)

OnTheFritz wrote:
This seemed to work for a 30 minute call at least.

Unplug the MJ+

Uninstall the software with:

http://upgrades.talk4free.com/tools/mjRemover.exe

Plug it back into the PC. Let it install again.

Run the upgrade with this:

http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/magicJackSetup.exe

Hook it back into the network.

I'll post again to let you know how it goes.

Last edited by omgpwnd on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that service was good for several months, then it starts dropping calls.

Mine is not an isolated incident as I see by the posts.

I made the mistake of trying the Live Chat support (3 hours of my life I can't get back...)

They guided me through the port thing-

They also guided me through the "software update".

The port deal didn't change or help anything.

I don't know if the software update did anything or not because I have never used it on a pc nor do I intend to. I did notice reduced audio levels when mj+ was attached to the pc. My original mj had weak audio (different pc) that's why I wanted to try the +.

I did conduct a test. I hooked the mj+ straight to the modem and it did a 15 minute call w/o dropping.

So, where do we find the list of hacks for routers?

I saw the post about neutered routers, how do we know which routers are good, and which ones aren't?

- -
omgpwnd
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm back. The problem was solve for a few days, then started having disconnects. Reset my router, and that helped for a couple days, then once again happened. Hmmm. =/

At least it's better than it used to be, which was constant and consistent disconnects. I'll keep trying I suppose? lol
profster
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went at the support folks about the fact that i'm not the only one having the problem with dropped calls. Because it works fine attached to the computer, they are saying that it is our routers that are the problem. I said that it is funny that most routers are doing the same thing. There is no answer on their part. I think they have done something at their end and unless hundreds and hundreds of people go to them with the problem, it will never be addressed. It worked fine for me up until early in February and then started dropping calls.
2guntom
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

profster wrote:
I went at the support folks about the fact that i'm not the only one having the problem with dropped calls... It worked fine for me up until early in February and then started dropping calls.

Exactly.

Why WAS it fine, but now it's not?

Something changed obviously.

Interestingly enough

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack78228.html#78228

I did the DMZ, QoS, and port thing yesterday. After all that, I made a 37 minute test call without it dropping.

But, will it last?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: