magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MJ tries to start but just disappears (MAC OSX Leopard 10.05

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsill
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: MJ tries to start but just disappears (MAC OSX Leopard 10.05 Reply with quote

I hope someone can help with this. We have had this MJ for a while and it just quit working. All i get from their website is unplug and re plug, reboot, etc. So, I can unplug it from the computer, then plug it back in and it seems to start at first. Then I click on the icon to start MJ and it shows the symbol like it is setting up, then I get a "device removal" message from my Mac and after MJ tries to set up the icon just goes away. I still have the small icon on my desktop, just not the one that you see while it is setting up. Of course, the window that shows calls, etc does not load. I pick up the phone and can hear a dial tone and can dial, but then there is just a dial tone again. It never rings on the other end (I tried calling my cellphone too and it doesn't ring at all). Any suggestions?

BTW, I did try the mac update to no avail.
Shelley
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the very same problem, used the new update and it is not working. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks, Shelley
lsill
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
lsill
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Answer***** Reply with quote

I finally got my own answer from MJ customer service and thought I would post it for Shelley.

Shelley if you're on a Mac, which I'm assuming you are - go to the finder, applications - disk utility. You should see a removable storage device in the left pane. Mine was called something weird "tigerjet something". Select it and below it will give you some options of how to reformat the device. For mine (OX leopard 10.5...something) it was OS .... (journaled). Then under that you get to choose a name you will actually recognize - like "Phone". I don't know why they didn't call it that in the first place. Now click erase. It will ask you to confirm. After this if it doesn't automatically download the update, you will have to go to their website and download the .dmg file if you are on a mac. Now run the update and you should get a screen stating that this MJ is already registered - then just put in your e-mail address and pw and you should be good to go. If you are on a PC the steps are about the same, but of course you will be going to your My Computer file or something like that to reformat this device.

You will lose all of your contacts - I didn't care since this is basically a phone for my kids that they can't run up a huge bill on (anyone ever have the Oh SH*t experience with their cell phone bill?). That's the main reason I have it.

Also, The reason I didn't go to customer support in the first place was that I heard how terrible it was. Well, I'm happy to report it must have gotten a heck of a lot better. Just use the online chat help at their website. It was fast. You do have to search your question first, but just do that and then click on not satisfied with this answer and viola.

Good luck Sherry.
Shelley
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sherry,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had done this many times and it did not work, tonight after seeing your message I thought I should try it again, it worked! I'm not sure what the problem is, it seems that when I shut down my computer for the day, (trying to be green) and then start it up again in the morning, the MJ will not start up again. I have been on the live chat several times, sometimes for up to 3 hrs. and they can't seem to figure it out. I then give up on the MJ and then try it again sometimes weeks later, and sometimes it starts right up. I'm not sure why this happens. Do you usually shut down your computer or just let it sleep? I thought I could save energy and give the computer a rest, I'm no sure what is the best to do. Well, thanks again for your help.

Shelley
lsill
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shelly,

My name is Lee btw Smile I was trying to say good luck Shelly, meaning good luck with fixing the MJ, but I typed Sherry instead. Anyway, I normally leave my computer on and it just sleeps while I'm away. I used to shut it down, but I'm not sure how much energy we are really saving by doing so since they do go into a sleep mode (I actually have to click my mouse two or three times to get mine to prompt me for a password).

Hopefully these things will work for a while now (fingers crossed).

Lee
TransferCutter
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Answer***** Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a PC guy but my friend is a MAC guy. He had the same problem 3 weeks ago. I read and printed out your instructions "lsill" and I have to say thanks. He's not very techie and always calls me to fix things. I have to say, I'm learning a lot about MACs. Your instructions solved the problem.....sort of.

Last week he had some sort of an Apple upgrade so he did it and had to restart his MAC. The MJ would not start up. He has always been leaving it on so his phone always works. I went over and once again formatted the MJ as per your instructions, he's up and running. Then I ejected the MJ and restarted the MAC. Once again, it will not start up. It needs to be formatted every time.

So, he has the same problem as Shelley. MJ won't start up. Any way to solve this that you know of?

Thanks for reading.

lsill wrote:
I finally got my own answer from MJ customer service and thought I would post it for Shelley.

Shelley if you're on a Mac, which I'm assuming you are - go to the finder, applications - disk utility. You should see a removable storage device in the left pane. Mine was called something weird "tigerjet something". Select it and below it will give you some options of how to reformat the device. For mine (OX leopard 10.5...something) it was OS .... (journaled). Then under that you get to choose a name you will actually recognize - like "Phone". I don't know why they didn't call it that in the first place. Now click erase. It will ask you to confirm. After this if it doesn't automatically download the update, you will have to go to their website and download the .dmg file if you are on a mac. Now run the update and you should get a screen stating that this MJ is already registered - then just put in your e-mail address and pw and you should be good to go. If you are on a PC the steps are about the same, but of course you will be going to your My Computer file or something like that to reformat this device.

You will lose all of your contacts - I didn't care since this is basically a phone for my kids that they can't run up a huge bill on (anyone ever have the Oh SH*t experience with their cell phone bill?). That's the main reason I have it.

Also, The reason I didn't go to customer support in the first place was that I heard how terrible it was. Well, I'm happy to report it must have gotten a heck of a lot better. Just use the online chat help at their website. It was fast. You do have to search your question first, but just do that and then click on not satisfied with this answer and viola.

Good luck Sherry.

Shelley wrote:
Hi Sherry,

Thanks so much for your reply. I had done this many times and it did not work, tonight after seeing your message I thought I should try it again, it worked! I'm not sure what the problem is, it seems that when I shut down my computer for the day, (trying to be green) and then start it up again in the morning, the MJ will not start up again. I have been on the live chat several times, sometimes for up to 3 hrs. and they can't seem to figure it out. I then give up on the MJ and then try it again sometimes weeks later, and sometimes it starts right up. I'm not sure why this happens. Do you usually shut down your computer or just let it sleep? I thought I could save energy and give the computer a rest, I'm no sure what is the best to do. Well, thanks again for your help.

Shelley
aim9999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: MJ tries to start, then quits - Simple Solution Reply with quote

I had similar problem; spent two hours with tech support at MJ to no avail. I tried to load the update, but nothing happened - then I got the results you get. They told me to send the device back. BUT after thinking about the situation, I realized they did not truly write a Mac version to Mac standards.

Solution was simple. Launch MJ and then go to "Get Info" -- then give the administrator permission to read and write. Then click on the upgrade and you will have a functioning MJ

In a true Mac world, when you install you are asked for the admin password = MJ never asks, just fails.
aim9999
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: MJ tries to start, then quits - Simple Solution Reply with quote

I had similar problem; spent two hours with tech support at MJ to no avail. I tried to load the update, but nothing happened - then I got the results you get. They told me to send the device back. BUT after thinking about the situation, I realized they did not truly write a Mac version to Mac standards.

Solution was simple. Launch MJ and then go to "Get Info" -- then give the administrator permission to read and write. Then click on the upgrade and you will have a functioning MJ

In a true Mac world, when you install you are asked for the admin password = MJ never asks, just fails.
TransferCutter
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ tries to start, then quits - Simple Solution Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I'll have to try it next weekend when I go over to his place.

aim9999 wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Mac All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: