magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Netflix Interferes with MagicJack and Makes Voice Dropouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StanR
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Netflix Interferes with MagicJack and Makes Voice Dropouts Reply with quote

Lots of dropped voice syllables on my MJ+ while Netflix was being viewed at my house on a PlayStation. I played for about 8 hours with my ASUS RT-A66R Router today and finally found a solution. The "Traditional QOS" (Quality Of Service) settings still left enough Netflix full bandwidth spikes to saturate my network and make voice dropouts on the MJ+. This QOS type allows for dynamic sharing of the bandwidth but the MJ+ apparently doesn't want to play nice with it.

My Time Warner feed is 15Mbps down and 1 Mbps up and generally meets or exceeds the speed in testing.

I found using QOS Type "Bandwidth Limiter" was the key. It is a more static set and use function. Then setting the Playstation MAC address, used to view Netflix, to limits of 8.5Mb/s down and 0.5 Mb/s up would work well. At 6.5-7 Mb/s down I could see long times needed to que and cache a fresh program so wanted a little more. 9 Mb/s worked well but I didn't want to go too high and use up overhead possibly need for the MJ+ and any other network activity. The upload speed seems to be around 0.3 Mb/s so my setting of 0.5 allows headroom.

So with the Bandwidth limiter only controlling one device, we'll have to see if other network activity is problematic for MJ+ or not.

I hope this helps anyone else trying to find and fix MJ+ dropouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> magicJack Plus Support All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: