magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nettalk Duo Vs Magicjack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limitme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Nettalk Duo Vs Magicjack Reply with quote

It sounds like everyone is pretty darn happy with nettalk.

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/15689187/nettalk-duo-voip-telephone-service-reviews/reviews.htm

The biggest plus I see, is nettalk doesn't need a computer!
No more worrying about which stupid thin client to use. I've tried getting a thin client for magicjack, and it worked (so-so) for a little while, but then bombed as magicjack updated their system requirements and my thin client no longer worked with magicjack.

Instead of spending $70-100 on another thin client, I figure I might try nettalk instead. Its cheaper than the thin client!

Has anyone tried it? If so, how was it? the reviews I've read (above) have been very good.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews are mixed just as they are for Magic Jack.

I Googled "Duo review" and this is one of the first -
"I want to say this item sucks! I have had this device for about 6 months and am continuing to have problems. First it would hang up if you talk for over an hour, then you cant use 800 service that has an automated computer that you have to hit different buttons cause it would go dead, now i cant receive calls and it has been over 3 days and customer service has not done anything yet to resolve this, and had this as a low priority on there queue. This was submitted to them 1 day before thanksgiving and still nothing. When i tried to call my own number it says the phone number is out of service. This device is a piece of crap! Somebody else needs to come up with a better device!"

I had to contact customer service for MJ once. They answered chat immediately. Reset my MJ on my request. And I was done. Whole thing took about 3 minutes. Only time in 2+ years I had a problem. 1-1/2 years has been a thin client.

Usually it is not the thin client that is stupid. More often than not it is the owner.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just let my two mj's expire and replace them with nettalk ...
limitme
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conniemadagain wrote:

how is the nettalk?

Is it as good as magicjack? better?
V-Man
MagicJack Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limitme wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

how is the nettalk?

I've been running both now for about a year now. In terms of functionality and reliability, it's a toss up 'tween the two. In terms of being able to "diddle" with it, if you're the tinkering type such as myself, using mj on a thin client is pretty cool. Adding magicfeatures to magicJack is kinda cool in that it adds features to mj that aren't available otherwise. For the NON tinkerer, NetTalk is the way to go. It's usually plug n play. I bought the TK6000 back in 2010 and it's still working fine. I like it so much and it's been so reliable that I bought my mom a Duo for Christmas. She's 81 and as most elderly folks, VERY non technical. She's had zero issues and loves the fact that she's DONE with long distance bills.

So, to answer your question about which is better, IMO, it's an even tie between MJ and NT. If I had to pick one and only one, it would be MJ......but that's ONLY 'cause I like to tinker.

Additionally, there are many many discussions about the pluses and minuses in the Alternatives to magicJack section of this forum. Take a gander over there.

Last edited by V-Man on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
telltom
MagicJack Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too am going to let my MJ expire. The Nettalk is much better. I can run anything on my computer and still have a great conversation. Nettalk is not without problems, however. I still can't retrieve my voicemail from a remote phone. But all in all it is much better than MJ. Never had someone tell me that my voice is skipping out like i had with MJ. So i recommend Nettalk over MJ. I have the Duo since last black Friday.
conniemadagain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

limitme wrote:
conniemadagain wrote:

how is the nettalk?

Fact 1: no computer needed ...
Fact 2: I can now fax again and I do need to do so ...
Fact 3: for me worth a few dollars more per year ...

I do think for my needs it is better!
Stryker
MagicJack User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: MJ for almost 3 years now..... Reply with quote

I have my MJ for almost 3 years. I have "heard" the duo does have its problems including sound quality. Using a T5720 1Ghz/1Gb/1GB with my MJ and it works perfectly. I have a T5720 setup overseas (Phlippines) since the power adapter is 110-240v and wifey talks to family hours on end. Save bigtime coin since I got that setup. If I wanna fax something I scan it my copier and email. Everyone has email these days. Lastly Nettalk duo requires $70 up front to purchase the equipment where as MJ is only $40 (ebay you can get it for $30 delivered) which makes the Nettalk duo less attractive. Nettalk duo is $10 a year more than MJ so the thin client pays for itself in abou 2-3 years if you look at that way but you have thin client in your hand with MJ and nothing with Nettalk duo. Nettalk duo does have three way calling which MJ does NOT but again, its something I don't need or use. The other aspect to consider with an MJ on thin client is you can log in with Teamviewer and trouble shoot problems with the MJ whereas with the Nettalk duo you can't. This is especially important if you are running MJ overseas cuz again, you can troubleshoot with MJ/Thin clinet setup but with Nettalk duo you can't. Fortunately I haven't had any issues with overseas T5720. Personally I still lean towards MJ with a decent thin client setup.

Stryker
newtoncd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ for almost 3 years now..... Reply with quote

When I was able to use an ATA with MJ, it was fun to tinker with. However, since that time, I only use the DUO. And, I currently have both. With the latest DUO firmware upgrade, it has been flawless.

I will note, the DUO is a bit picky with routers, so if you are thinking of purchasing one, I would check the list to make sure yours is on the list as known to work with properly with the DUO. Having said that, I have the DIR-655 (a known problem router), I configured it according to the netTALK FAQ and it works great.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

I have several MJ and use them on both my desktop and a T5710 thin client. I must say when they work they work ok but they are flaky due to the combination of hardware and software MJ uses.

When MJ could be used without it's hardware the quality was excellent both with an ATA or Asterisk. I have no use for them any more since I am forced to use their flaky setup and will let mine expire.

I have NetTalk Duo and it is better from the perspective of not having to the flaky hardware software combination of MJ and in that they do not require a computer to service them. I will say that the hardware of the NT is not in fact IMHO any better then the MJ.

For quality and reliability a good quality unlocked ATA device such as those offered by Linksys or IMHO the OBi 100/110 will provide you with the best results and flexibility. The advantages of using an unlocked ATA are huge since your not married to a specific provider and can therefore pick and choose which of a great many different VOIP providers to use.

The OBi devices were designed by some of the folks from Linksys who broke off and formed their own company. I view the OBi's as a newer generation of the old standby Linksys devices. They not only updated the hardware but devised a very nice system of provisioning the devices. Their software makes getting them functioning very easy and yet retains all the numerous settings and capabilities which these kinds of devices offer if/when you decide to use advanced setups. Right out of the box they offer features like flexible call forwarding, call blocking, the ability to bridge calls and much much more.

As an added advantage the OBi 100/110 implement the XMPP protocol in addition to standard sip and thus are natively compatible with Google Voice; so unless Google Voice drops it's free calling you have your VOIP service provided free. And should Google disappear for any reason you can simply sign-up with any of a ton of other providers and be back in business in minutes.

Anyway another choice which is out there that you may want to consider!
sabresfan
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TK 6000 and MJ running on a hp t5740 now and the call quality on both is great for me. Between the 2 I find MJ better right now than my TK because of 3rd party software that can be used with MJ. The advantage I give to NT is I was able to get them to make my outgoing CID my GV number when they would do that awhile ago. The downside is getting NT and GV to work together without using call presentation. NT automatically answers every call and confuses GV. Each has their up's and down's for their cheap price but having an unlocked ata that I can use with any byod provider is the best way to go imho.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
As an added advantage the OBi 100/110 implement the XMPP protocol in addition to standard sip and thus are natively compatible with Google Voice; so unless Google Voice drops it's free calling you have your VOIP service provided free...

Are you currently using Google Voice with this device for your setup? I read somewhere that GV was essentially an incoming only service but outgoing calls could be made through Google Chat via a "call back" function. I don't know what they mean by that but it would seem to imply something other than just simply dialing the outgoing number. Can you comment on that?
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
VaHam wrote:
As an added advantage the OBi 100/110 implement the XMPP protocol in addition to standard sip and thus are natively compatible with Google Voice; so unless Google Voice drops it's free calling you have your VOIP service provided free...

Are you currently using Google Voice with this device for your setup? I read somewhere that GV was essentially an incoming only service but outgoing calls could be made through Google Chat via a "call back" function. I don't know what they mean by that but it would seem to imply something other than just simply dialing the outgoing number. Can you comment on that?

Yes I have two of them running one stand alone to a cordless phone system and a second configured to pass Google voice to one of my asterisk boxes.

Google Voice began offering outgoing calling some time ago via their Google chat. So you can sign up for that and play for free.

The OBi not only handles sip like MJ and Net Talk but also handles the XMPP protocol which Google Voice uses instead of sip. So yes you just plug your Google Voice credentials into a OBi and you have a free phone line!
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
Google Voice began offering outgoing calling some time ago via their Google chat. So you can sign up for that and play for free.

Would you know off hand if GV can port MJ phone numbers? I know they don't do land lines but my MJ number is the same exchange as cell phones in my area. - Thanks!
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:

Would you know off hand if GV can port MJ phone numbers? I know they don't do land lines but my MJ number is the same exchange as cell phones in my area. - Thanks!

I tried playing with it recently. GV only ports cell numbers at this point. My MJ number shows up in various places as a cell number, but GV would not give me the option to port it.

You can always just set up a GV account and see if they will let you port yours. Just click on the change/port option in the settings section. I tried it on one of my kids cell phone numbers when I tested it. If it qualifies, they give you the options you have, and you can just close the screen. If you don't qualify, which I think will be the case, they will tell you that as well.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
VaHam wrote:

If you really need to keep your MJ number and GV won't port it I have heard of others first porting their land line number to a throw away cell phone and then port from the throw away to GV.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

VaHam wrote:
If you really need to keep your MJ number and GV won't port it I have heard of others first porting their land line number to a throw away cell phone and then port from the throw away to GV.

Thanks for the great advice. It wouldn't be an issue if the wife and family hadn't beaten me half to death already over changing our home number a few times. I don't know how much more I can take...lol.

I may just just play with the Obi110 with GV and later forward my MJ number if it works out well. Porting the home number to a PAYG cell and then to GV sounds like a viable option.

The only irritation so far would be that I can't disable or change the ring count for the GV voice mail so my answering machine can pick up the calls. MJ (as do a lot of other VOIP providers) has the same restriction for some reason.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:

The only irritation so far would be that I can't disable or change the ring count for the GV voice mail so my answering machine can pick up the calls. MJ (as do a lot of other VOIP providers) has the same restriction for some reason.

Obviously each set-up is different, but for what it's worth, as long as my power stays on, I bypass both the GV and MJ voicemail systems. I have my MJ output plugged into a wall phone outlet which has the MJ ring on 3 phones, including the one with the answering machine. It also works plugged directly into the phone with the answering machine but I don't keep that in the computer room.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
Obviously each set-up is different, but for what it's worth, as long as my power stays on, I bypass both the GV and MJ voicemail systems.

My integrated answering machine has two settings 2 & 4 rings. Three rings is optimal for us to get around to consistently answering the phone. I wish that I could set MJ to 5 rings or disable it all together.
VaHam
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: MJ vs NetTalk vs OBi Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
Obviously each set-up is different, but for what it's worth, as long as my power stays on, I bypass both the GV and MJ voicemail systems.

My integrated answering machine has two settings 2 & 4 rings. Three rings is optimal for us to get around to consistently answering the phone. I wish that I could set MJ to 5 rings or disable it all together.

When I call my GV number on my standalone OBi GV doesn't transfer to VM until ring 5.
Thunder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy MagicRingforever a program which I use to set the number of rings to what ever I like. It costs $10.00 and is well worth it. At least to me anyways. You can get it from pcpphonesoft.com.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
You could always buy MagicRingforever a program which I use to set the number of rings to what ever I like.

I tried that program (which is free incidentally) and is was giving me all kinds of grief. I also considered Magicfeatures but that app uses double half-time rings instead of one standard ring which I don't think changes the time span, just the number or rings. So 3 Magicfeatures rings would be the same 1-1/2 standard rings which is too short for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:

I tried that program (which is free incidentally) I tried that program (which is free incidentally) and is was giving me all kinds of grief. I also considered Magicfeatures but that app uses double half-time rings instead of one standard ring which I don't think changes the time span, just the number or rings. So 3 Magicfeatures rings would be the same 1-1/2 standard rings which is too short for me.

It may have been at one time. It has been $9.95 for a while from my visits to the site. And for what it's worth, I use MF and use the double ring feature and my answering machine kicks in after 3 (or maybe 4, not usually there when it goes to the machine) double rings, which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

Edit: They do have a free trial on all their products.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

Thanks for the info nailguner. I guess the only concern I may have left is how well the MF will work on my Thin Client with its limited resources. I might give it a try after my vacation.

I'm still thinking quite seriously of playing around with either Obi110 or Asterisk and using voip.ms or something.

Any comments?
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
I guess the only concern I may have left is how well the MF will work on my Thin Client with its limited resources. I might give it a try after my vacation.

Here's 2 links to chats in here where it says it should/will:

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack68828.html#68828

http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/magicjack69283.html#69283
Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk

You should try the magicringforever not the MF. I use the magicjackringforever on my thin client and if I turn off my answering machine my phone keeps ringing until I answer it. Here is something posted from the pcpphonesoft forum below.

Posted - 05/26/2011 : 19:54:26

In regards to the thin client setups where computer resources are minimal and leaving the MJ dialer open on the screen is not typically a concern, disabling the "Automatically Minimize Dialer on Hangup" option may buy you an additional second or so as the MJ dialer does not need to re-open itself on further incoming calls. If you want the phone to ring more frequently to get your attention, you can enable the "Double Ringing" feature.

The only working solution we are aware of that seriously gives you longer to answer the phone is the MagicRingForever Plugin.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
I use MF and use the double ring feature and my answering machine kicks in after 3 (or maybe 4, not usually there when it goes to the machine) double rings, which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

This is from the PhoneSoft website:

Double Ringing (for External Answering Machine Pickup)
::: Ringing is done in 3 second intervals instead of the standard 6 second intervals. Your phone will physically ring 7-8 times instead of 3-4 times before routing to voice mail to facilitate the use of external answering machines. This feature does not increase the voice mail timeout timer. For Selective Call Answering Machine Pickup use the Priority Call Ringing feature.

Is yours working differently than this?
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunder wrote:
The only working solution we are aware of that seriously gives you longer to answer the phone is the MagicRingForever Plugin.

Thanks Thunder, I haven't tried the MRF on my thin client but it was giving me a lot of grief on my desktop PC because we use multiple desktops one for the wife, and one for me. I could also never get it to start up again reliably after a reboot.

Speaking of reboot, my MJ keep switching over to the headset mode by itself about 4 or 5 times a week now. Checking the ap shows that it's still in handset mode oddly enough. I've taken to setting up a timer that kills the power everyday at 4am and reboots the system in an effort to get rid of this issue. MJ worked flawlessly for a long time on my TC but after the last upgrade I can't seem to shake this problem. It's pissing me off...
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:
nailgunner wrote:
I use MF and use the double ring feature and my answering machine kicks in after 3 (or maybe 4, not usually there when it goes to the machine) double rings, which takes the exact same length of time as the 3 (or 4) standard rings without it.

This is from the PhoneSoft website:

Double Ringing (for External Answering Machine Pickup)
::: Ringing is done in 3 second intervals instead of the standard 6 second intervals. Your phone will physically ring 7-8 times instead of 3-4 times before routing to voice mail to facilitate the use of external answering machines. This feature does not increase the voice mail timeout timer. For Selective Call Answering Machine Pickup use the Priority Call Ringing feature.

Is yours working differently than this?

Kind of? I just did some test calls with and without the double-ring enabled. With it on, I'm getting 3 full double or 6 single rings, so I'm not getting the 7-8 rings they mention. With it turned off I'm getting 1 quick and 3 long rings.

With it enabled, the answering machine is picking up. But what surprised me is that with it off, it's going to the MagicJack voice-mail. I installed MF at the same time I plugged my MJ into the house to ring on the answering machine phone. So now I'm assuming it was doing that from the start and I didn't notice since I've had double-ring enabled on MF since I installed it.

On 4 test calls, 2 on each setting, from the time the phone rang in the house, until it got picked up by a voice-mail was either 17 or 18 seconds on all 4 tests. The PC PhoneSoft web-site says it should be going to voice mail at around 24 seconds, and with the almost 3 second lag I had from the first ring on the cell to the first ring at the house, I'm sort of close.

Regardless, I was not subjected to a 1 1/2 ring pick-up as you were concerned about.
pjwlk
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nailgunner wrote:
I just did some test calls with and without the double-ring enabled. With it on, I'm getting...

Thanks for all your investigative work. I appreciate the feedback.
Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking of reboot, my MJ keep switching over to the headset mode by itself about 4 or 5 times a week now. Checking the ap shows that it's still in handset mode oddly enough. I've taken to setting up a timer that kills the power everyday at 4am and reboots the system in an effort to get rid of this issue. MJ worked flawlessly for a long time on my TC but after the last upgrade I can't seem to shake this problem. It's pissing me off...

Just change it back to telephone mode and do a commit and reboot. It should fix it. It worked on my T5710 for that same problem.
nailgunner
MagicJack Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjwlk wrote:

Thanks for all your investigative work. I appreciate the feedback.

It was my pleasure. It's what MJ users with too much time on their hands do. Besides now I know a little more, I think, on how it's working with my voice-mail, and the need to keep my double-ring activated.
kos99ngel
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my magicJack running on Hp Thin Client for a little over 3 years now and I haven't had any problems at all I am happy with my magicJack can't beat $19.95 a year.......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: