magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
***New Mods T5730 a Dual-Core 64-bit CPU & PCIe G-card
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: A quick update to he RAM module CAS latency # Reply with quote

I just tried another Kingston # RAM module as shown in my previous post, but after purchasing a second one, this modual has Hynix chips on it with a CAS latency of 6 , rather than a CAS of 5 as the original Kingston 2GB module I had.

*** EDITED June-2014 ***
Here's a photo of the chip numbers on the module with CAS 6
The "FP-S6" denotes a CAS 6 speed.

If you buy it thru eBay, or other online methods,
ask the seller to look for these Hynix chip#'s on the module,
before you purchase. To make sure it's the CAS 6 speed.

Kingston 200 pin PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory KTH-ZD8000B/2G
Check eBay for these, if you want the fastest.
Kingston's website doesn't seem to list the 800MHz 200 pin version any longer

Other manufacturers brands may also work, as long as it's PC2-6400
200 pin 800MHz modules - CAS 6 (CL-6) - un-buffered - Non-ECC - DDR2 - 1.8 volt
-------

The CAS 5 just gave a maximum mem clock speed of 300MHz (667MHz)
But the CAS 6 gives 400MHz (800MHz) max mem clock speed.

Playback of all my HD video formats got faster (smoother) with this one chip, compared to the CAS 5 RAM.

Now I'm surely going to put the missing RAM socket in ... For Dual-channel RAM memory operation.

This will speed-up the overall playback speeds of the HD video even more, with a matched set of the same brand, CAS latency , and size RAM.

Last edited by momo on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 am; edited 6 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Maybe my last post regarding this mod, I don't know... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Recent events has, for now, (maybe forever), caused me to stop working on this mod. ... My Mom passed away recently.

I will update you now, regarding the dual-core activation in Windows XP Embedded OS ... It's not the amount of RAM used that activates the 2nd core.

You will need to put the special files XP Pro (sp3) uses to activate the second core, into your XPe installation.

If you google for the procedure and XP files needed to do this, there are several links showing how.

If you're going to use the full XP Pro (sp3) you'll be able to activate the dual-core just by installing the new processor... nothing else is needed to be added, because the full XP has the files needed to do it, already in there.

If I ever feel like coming back to continue discussing the mod, I will, but for now this is it.

BYE...!
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: This got me going, then I see HP did this already Reply with quote

I remember reading this thread a few months back, and being interested in this mod. I even bought a couple of X2 CPUs to try. Since then I've found out a couple of things - adding the second surface mount RAM connector would be about impossible for DIY, even if you could find it, and besides, it's already been done... by HP! The HP GT7720 (XPe) and GT7725 (Linux) use this chipset (mobo looks close to identical), with a dual core 2.3GHz Turion X2 Ultra (and a fan), and dual channel memory. Externally, the boxes are identical, including the I/O panel. Power supply is 19V (90 or 120W), however. Video is integrated HD 3200.
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to ask you, if you can draw pin-out where in the proprietary connector (physically PCI-E 16x) in T5730 is located PCI-E 1x ?

because with this knowledge I can use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Express-x16-PCI-E-16X-Extension-Riser-Card-Flexible-Extender-Cable-24CM-/181334302995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a385de113

and cross cables, that PCI-E 1x will be match and the rest will be unconnected....

Thank you for your advice in advance,

Alfieri21
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that information. Probably easier to just buy the riser if you can find it, or the whole expansion module.

I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll take a closer look at the risers when I'm back. Perhaps some deduction of the pin locations can be made.

Or, just buy the one I have on eBay! These come up fairly often there.
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:
I don't have that information. Probably easier to just buy the riser if you can find it, or the whole expansion module.

I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll take a closer look at the risers when I'm back. Perhaps some deduction of the pin locations can be made.

Or, just buy the one I have on eBay! These come up fairly often there.

Hi spoolin01,

I saw your offer on eBay, I am the one who made a request about shipping cost to Europe (nick Alfieri21). But shipping price almost the same as selling price of item => it is just too much.

If you can try visually and maybee "beeps" it with multimetr?
(I do not know the proper english phrase to this. I mean use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected and testers usually have a piezo buzzer which beeps when the resistance is small => verb "beeps" it)

If you can, it will be more than really nice from you!

Thank you in advance,
Alfieri21
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

Hello, I saw your private message, but figure others can benefit from this info publicly.

The Expansion socket on the ThinClient T5730 is not a standard pin out of a PCIe socket.

It may have x4 wiring available, but it's PCIe adapter, from the expansion-kit, is just wired for PCIe-x1

That adapter you link to, from eBay, will short the ThinClient out, or blow-out trace patterns on that eBay adapter.
I know this because I tried it, before finding out the connector on the T5730 isn't wired as a standard PCIe connector, because it's a HP proprietary circuit.

You can get the expansion-kit for it, where it has a PCIe x1 adapter,
and a PCI 32 standard adapter.

I used the PCIe x1 adapter, and cut off the back-piece of the plastic 1x connector on it so a PCIe x16 card will fit-in, then used plastic ties to hold the board into the adapter.

When I plug the adapter into the ThinClient expansion connector, with the 16x PCIe graphic card, it works perfectly, in 1x mode, and makes the graphics faster than using a normal PCI graphics card. The ThinClient may be wired for x4 but the adapter isn't.

I'm able to use Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, with the Media Center Add-On, and can record/playback shows without ANY skipping of the frames.
I'm also using an old Fusion5HDTV USB Gold Tuner with this configuration.
Win8.1 has it's own driver for the Dvico Fusion Tuners, and all worked together well.

I also used a cheap EVGA G-force 7600 GT - PCIe x16 card that was under USD$25.00, with shipping Smile

alfieri21 wrote:
Hi, I would like to ask you, if you can draw pin-out where in the proprietary connector (physically PCI-E 16x) in T5730 is located PCI-E 1x ?

because with this knowledge I can use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Express-x16-PCI-E-16X-Extension-Riser-Card-Flexible-Extender-Cable-24CM-/181334302995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a385de113

and cross cables, that PCI-E 1x will be match and the rest will be unconnected....

Thank you for your advice in advance,

Alfieri21
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

momo wrote:

It may have x4 wiring available, but it's PCIe adapter, from the expansion-kit, is just wired for PCIe-x1

What about the expansion set for succesor, for the T5740, code AZ551AA. By the pictures (just google search - images: http://tinyurl.com/q2ves76 ) it is looks like, that the PCI expansion board is the same one as the one in expansion module for T5730. But the PCIe board is different and just with PCIe x4, as you mentioned. Maybe this PCIe x4 should work with T5730. What do you think about it?

momo wrote:

That adapter you link to, from eBay, will short the ThinClient out, or blow-out trace patterns on that eBay adapter.

I know, the idea was to cut all cables and cross them, to connect to proper pins in proprietary HP connector to part in female part which correspond to PCIe x1. The rest should be unconnected. This should work, right? And for this I need the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector.

momo wrote:

I know, but I bought T5735 for USD$35 and now the expansion kit with shipping from US to Europe will be USD$84 :-/

So can you find out the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector in your machine? Please.

BR,
Alfieri21
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

alfieri21 wrote:
momo wrote:

What about the expansion set for succesor, for the T5740, code AZ551AA. By the pictures (just google search - images: http://tinyurl.com/q2ves76 ) it is looks like, that the PCI expansion board is the same one as the one in expansion module for T5730. But the PCIe board is different and just with PCIe x4, as you mentioned. Maybe this PCIe x4 should work with T5730. What do you think about it?

I found a photo of that PCIe adapter on eBay and saw it had wiring differences from the one for the T5730
Yes it's a x4 Riser, but the power pins are different, as well as others.

momo wrote:

I know, the idea was to cut all cables and cross them, to connect to proper pins in proprietary HP connector to part in female part which correspond to PCIe x1. The rest should be unconnected. This should work, right? And for this I need the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector.

way too much work, PLUS the wiring needed by that may cause EMI/RFI interference on the board and stop it from working, or make the image degrade the x1 PCIe speed.

momo wrote:

I know, but I bought T5735 for USD$35 and now the expansion kit with shipping from US to Europe will be USD$84 :-/

I know what you mean, but it originally cost US$600.00
Modifying it always cost something. Wink

So can you find out the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector in your machine? Please.

I've been trying to find that same thing.
If I had the schematic, I was going to design a custom x16 riser-card, but later found out it's just x1 or maybe up to x4, looking at the trace pattern on the Riser-card I have.

If you go to google, and put in the official part# for that T5730/35 PCI expansion kit, (GZ286AA) it may show an eBay auction for under $10 for it.

I got lucky, and that's what I paid, with $7 shipping, but outside USA usually shipping is more
Maybe you'll find one auctioned outside of USA...but shipping will always be part of it. Smile

Good luck....MoMo

-p.s.-
I just googled and found this one, where they're willing to accept your best offer.
It's starting with his "suggested" $49 price, but he'll accept less
Was this the one you saw, costing over $80 with shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-x1-or-PCI-expansion-module-for-HP-T5730-T5735-GZ286AA-PCI-e-/131205533316?pt=US_Thin_Clients&hash=item1e8c758e84

They are getting harder to find, & the longer you wait, the costlier it can get, unless someone on eBay doesn't know what it's worth. HaHa!

By the way- if you do get one, and decide to cut-off the back-plastic piece of the connector, so a x16 card fits-in, be VERY carful when you get to the bottom, even near the middle of that connector back plastic part, because the pins of the connector are close-by, and you can damage the ground pins if you're not careful

Here's a photo of it, from this auction page, close-up, until the link goes off. Wink
Copy it before the photo & auction link are gone.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/zHIAAOxyuR5TYY0-/$_57.JPG
(I removed the image display text from the link, 'cause it was making the thread display with very small text to show the full picture)

BR,
Alfieri21

Last edited by momo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

momo wrote:

1)
I found a photo of that PCIe adapter on eBay and saw it had wiring differences from the one for the T5730

2)
way too much work, PLUS the wiring needed by that may cause EMI/RFI interference on the board and stop it from working, or make the image degrade the x1 PCIe speed.

3)
I just googled and found this one, where they're willing to accept your best offer.

4)
By the way- if you do get one, and decide to cut-off the back-plastic piece of the connector, so a x16 card fits-in, be VERY carful when you get to the bottom, even near the middle of that connector back plastic part, because the pins of the connector are close-by, and you can damage the ground pins if you're not careful

1)
Thank you very much for quick cross reference! Now I know, that it is incompatible. Thank you for your observation, you save me time and money

2)
It is actually "only" 18 cables/pins. I can shield this connection etc. But there still should be EMI/RFI, you are right. But still I am willing to give a try... Therefore I am still looking for PCIe x1 pin-out in HP proprietary connector...

3)
Yes it is! And even more, the seller is guy from this forum - spoolin01 (he answered first to my reopen of this topic)
- shipping USD 35 :-/ Now I am looking some friend who will travel from Czech Republic to US and back. I will use him as delivery boy Smile

4)
Thanks for warming me! In this case I will be carefull

Alfieri21

PS:
Other option should be Mini PCIe on bottom of the board. Mini PCIe -> PCIe x1 -> raiser cable to PCIe x16

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322251125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
- http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delock-Riser-Card-PCIe-x1-PCIe-mini-Porterweiterungskarte-Adapterkarte-NEU-/151245129307?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item2336e9865b
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-PCI-express-to-PCI-E-1X-USB2-0-Card-adapter-Riser-Extender-test-tool-/121343188549?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item1c409e1e45
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-1x-to-16x-riser-good-for-litecoin-mining-rig-/111359940667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ed91d83b
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

You're very welcome. I admire your energy & hope you have more luck than I did trying to find the schematic (wiring diagram) of the HP connector or Riser card.

I even called HP and offered to purchase the schematic or repair manual, but they didn't have one.
They had the boards made by another company, for them.

----
Oh...another bit of info... That connector on the back of the motherboard isn't a Mini-PCIe ... It's a Compact Flash card connector.
*** EDITED --- silly me, there IS a Mini-PCIe trace pattern on the back. I never knew that. Embarassed
-----
You can read more about it on this British site, where I uploaded my original mods...
http://parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/mods.shtml

My mods start at the Sub-Heading of ... CPU - 2 ... On that page.

There have been others modding this T5730/35 as well, since my last posting there. He's added a "Mods 2" tab. Smile

As for the eBay Auction, have you tried to make an offer other than the $49 he suggests?

I'd say, $25 is a good start, maybe he'd say yes, being you need to add that high shipping costs of $35.

It's still less costly than having a friend travel here and back to your country, to pick-it-up.
(Funny joke...by the way... Wink )

alfieri21 wrote:
momo wrote:

1)

2)

3)

4)

1)
Thank you very much for quick cross reference! Now I know, that it is incompatible. Thank you for your observation, you save me time and money

2)
It is actually "only" 18 cables/pins. I can shield this connection etc. But there still should be EMI/RFI, you are right. But still I am willing to give a try... Therefore I am still looking for PCIe x1 pin-out in HP proprietary connector...

3)
Yes it is! And even more, the seller is guy from this forum - spoolin01 (he answered first to my reopen of this topic)
- shipping USD 35 :-/ Now I am looking some friend who will travel from Czech Republic to US and back. I will use him as delivery boy Smile

4)
Thanks for warning me! In this case I will be careful

Alfieri21

PS:
Other option should be Mini PCIe on bottom of the board. Mini PCIe -> PCIe x1 -> raiser cable to PCIe x16

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322251125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
- http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delock-Riser-Card-PCIe-x1-PCIe-mini-Porterweiterungskarte-Adapterkarte-NEU-/151245129307?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item2336e9865b
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-PCI-express-to-PCI-E-1X-USB2-0-Card-adapter-Riser-Extender-test-tool-/121343188549?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item1c409e1e45
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-1x-to-16x-riser-good-for-litecoin-mining-rig-/111359940667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ed91d83b

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

Hi,

actually my biggest chance to success are you, guys who have the expansion card and are willing to help. What I need are detailed photos and even better, someone, who will try to "beeps"* the PCIe x1 connector on expansion card with pins on this card.

*I do not know the proper english phrase to this. I mean use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected and testers usually have a piezo buzzer which beeps when the resistance is small => verb "beeps" it

According to this:
http://masu.6f.sk/extra/files/x86/t5730/pic/t5730_cf_pcie.JPG
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/links.shtml
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=Category:T5730

and I checked the botttom side of my board. On the bottom are unpopulated CF card slot and mini PCIe.

For you the miniCPIe should work for WiFi, USB3, SATA etc. depend just on miniCPIe card.,,

And yes, I tried to make an offer. But more importantly, maybe I have a guy from US, who will travel to Czech Rep. to visit his famyli Smile Maybe my delivery boy Smile
And this guy will walk and over the water swim, so it will be cheap Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (just joke too).

Best regards
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

This is interesting.
I didn't know it has that MiniPCIe socket layout pattern.

I never fully removed the main board when soldering the 4 wires for the PSU connector. I was able to find power lines near the end-corner and just removed those screws & lifted the boards corner to solder there. Smile

Edited, Sept.13th 2014 ... added info...
My T5730 Mods to add the 16 Amp (192 watt) PSU connector
http://imgur.com/a/MguHb

Is it a full x16 MiniPCIe or just x1 or x4 ?

I have another memory module, so my next planned Mod is adding the 2nd memory socket, but this is nice news, about the MiniPCIe.
It's funny it was shown on the other site that posted my other mods, and I never saw it. Laughing

Was "miniCPIe" a typo-error Smile or some new card?
If a SATA 2 or 3 controller with USB3 existed in MiniPCIe, I'd be interested to add the socket.
The older style 44-pin drives are getting hard to find, and are too small in GB now. And it would be nice to also have at least 1 USB3 socket for speed.

By the way...using an ohmmeter and hearing beeps, is a continuity test

Doing a pattern trace of a boards wiring is big work. You may save money on buying it made, but the time needed to trace-out the wires, and still need to build some connector/adapter ...is why I never tried tracing the wiring by looking at photos... Now you want me to do it, anyway... Smile Laughing

I don't mind taking photos, I have a 8.5 MPixel camera, so they'll be good and sharp. It has a macro-CloseUp lens too.

How many wires are you expecting to need tracing, and what's a decent hourly rate for this... HaHa..! Razz

I may want to visit another country, instead....! Wink

How'd you know I can walk over the water.
Swimming in it, is my problem.. Smile

alfieri21 wrote:
Hi,

actually my biggest chance to success are you, guys who have the expansion card and are willing to help. What I need are detailed photos and even better, someone, who will try to "beeps"* the PCIe x1 connector on expansion card with pins on this card.

*I do not know the proper english phrase to this. I mean use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected and testers usually have a piezo buzzer which beeps when the resistance is small => verb "beeps" it

According to this:
http://masu.6f.sk/extra/files/x86/t5730/pic/t5730_cf_pcie.JPG
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/links.shtml
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=Category:T5730

and I checked the botttom side of my board. On the bottom are unpopulated CF card slot and mini PCIe.

For you the miniCPIe should work for WiFi, USB3, SATA etc. depend just on miniCPIe card.,,

And yes, I tried to make an offer. But more importantly, maybe I have a guy from US, who will travel to Czech Rep. to visit his famyli Smile Maybe my delivery boy Smile
And this guy will walk and over the water swim, so it will be cheap Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (just joke too).

Best regards

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not sure, but I think, that mini PCIe is just form of PCIe x1. The change is in absence of 12V level and I am not sure how about USB in ordinary PCIe x1, but in miniPCIe is USB. But it is possible to convert miniPCIe to PCIe x1 and othervise. And the count of pins in miniPCIe should be "proof", that it is just x1.

With the second memory module, it sould be nice, but where to take the socket? Any idea? eBay link? I have no idea what key words use to find the proper one :-/

miniCPIe is typo, sorry.

and there are cards like 2x USB3:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+USB3&_nkw=miniPCIe+USB3&_sacat=0&_from=R40

SATA ports:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+SATA&_nkw=miniPCIe+SATA&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And the SATA adapter is SATA III 6Gbps...

And about tracing pins, please, take a detail photos, it would be nice from you.

My gues is, that I will have to trace 18 pins (PCIe x1). and with the cable raiser I will cut the cables (except the ones, wich are in proprietary connector on correct place) and solder them (maximum 18 cables). Soldering should take one hour and tracing? Who know? If it is possible to figure out it from pictures, than should be another hour, two?

But after one hour I can find out, that some traces are imposibble to follow and it will be the end.... But who knows.

Yeah walk on water, nothing new, right? Very Happy
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Let me know if this is helpful Reply with quote

I took some photos two years ago,
The file name is ... HP T5730 PCIe - x1 Riser.zip

several views of the board.
I posted them to this other site link ...

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/56176801/file.html
----
*** EDITED - September 14th 2014 - ***

The above link has expired.
I've started a new photo account at a really cool site. You may think of using it too Smile

Here are the photos of the T5730 Expansion kits Riser-card,
plus 2 from the HP GT7725 that is compared to the T5730 in a composite photo, front and back views.

**** The new link to the Photos is... http://imgur.com/a/54Flr

----
use the download button on the right-side of the page, not the ones showing in the ADS graphic below the files description. Smile

alfieri21 wrote:
Hi,

I am not sure, but I think, that mini PCIe is just form of PCIe x1. The change is in absence of 12V level and I am not sure how about USB in ordinary PCIe x1, but in miniPCIe is USB. But it is possible to convert miniPCIe to PCIe x1 and othervise. And the count of pins in miniPCIe should be "proof", that it is just x1.

With the second memory module, it sould be nice, but where to take the socket? Any idea? eBay link? I have no idea what key words use to find the proper one :-/

miniCPIe is typo, sorry.

and there are cards like 2x USB3:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+USB3&_nkw=miniPCIe+USB3&_sacat=0&_from=R40

SATA ports:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+SATA&_nkw=miniPCIe+SATA&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And the SATA adapter is SATA III 6Gbps...

And about tracing pins, please, take a detail photos, it would be nice from you.

My gues is, that I will have to trace 18 pins (PCIe x1). and with the cable raiser I will cut the cables (except the ones, wich are in proprietary connector on correct place) and solder them (maximum 18 cables). Soldering should take one hour and tracing? Who know? If it is possible to figure out it from pictures, than should be another hour, two?

But after one hour I can find out, that some traces are imposibble to follow and it will be the end.... But who knows.

Yeah walk on water, nothing new, right? Very Happy

Last edited by momo on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 10 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: This got me going, then I see HP did this already Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sure the newer HP ThinClients do have this second RAM socket, but I'm not getting a new ThinClient, just for the second RAM option, when I can add it myself to the T5730.
if you have a Surface Mount Hot-Air soldering device, it's easy to put it on there. (yes, I have one Smile )

The socket is available. I found a distributor, but never got the socket, when my mother died, near the time I was going to get the part.

I have to look-up that info, I have it somewhere, but I'm not in a rush.
you don't seem to be in one either. Wink

spoolin01 wrote:
I remember reading this thread a few months back, and being interested in this mod. I even bought a couple of X2 CPUs to try. Since then I've found out a couple of things - adding the second surface mount RAM connector would be about impossible for DIY, even if you could find it, and besides, it's already been done... by HP! The HP GT7720 (XPe) and GT7725 (Linux) use this chipset (mobo looks close to identical), with a dual core 2.3GHz Turion X2 Ultra (and a fan), and dual channel memory. Externally, the boxes are identical, including the I/O panel. Power supply is 19V (90 or 120W), however. Video is integrated HD 3200.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Here's the part# for the 2nd RAM Socket Reply with quote

The socket part# is
AS0A426-NARN-7F

If you google that part number, some sources and info for the part come up.

FOXCONN Site
http://www.fit-foxconn.com/search/Product_Details_Report.asp?P_PN=AS0A426-NARN-7F&P_type=Device-to-PCB%20connector&P_Family=Memory%20Connector&P_Series=DDR%20II%20SO%20DIMM%20Connector&searchTypeID=4

More photos and a possible distributor
http://www.icphotos.org/photo/AS0A426NARN7F.html

A DATA Sheet
http://www.fit-foxconn.com/catalog/spec/ProductSpec/as0a426-narn-7f.pdf

The original Google Search link
https://www.google.com/#q=AS0A426-NARN-7F

momo wrote:
Hi, I'm sure the newer HP ThinClients do have this second RAM socket, but I'm not getting a new ThinClient, just for the second RAM option, when I can add it myself to the T5730.
if you have a Surface Mount Hot-Air soldering device, it's easy to put it on there. (yes, I have one Smile )

The socket is available. I found a distributor, but never got the socket, when my mother died, near the time I was going to get the part.

I have to look-up that info, I have it somewhere, but I'm not in a rush.
you don't seem to be in one either. Wink

spoolin01 wrote:

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Just returned from vacation and read through your posts. The mini PCIe slot on the underside is where HP put the wireless card. I don't know if it will run a SATA drive. There is also one part number that always appears to have the PCIe connector, even if not OEM wifi. The other P/Ns don't have the connector installed unless they were OEM wifi. I can look up that P/N if you want it.

HP riser cards come up often on eBay, you may be able to find the one from the T5730 module if you watch for it. The only one I have left is from a new boxed unit, which is why it is priced where it is. At one time there seemed to be a lot of these expansion modules available after the T5700 line had gone end-of-life, so I'm sure they'll pop up on ebay from time to time.

An expansion module was also available for the GT series, and had a full length PCIe connector. I don't know enough about the technology to offer more information than that. Perhaps that one would work with the T5730. I don't recall if that module was similarly offered with both PCI and PCIe risers. That might be a clue whether they used the same wiring scheme.

If you want the dual RAM, the GT7720/7725 is closely related but has dual RAM. They come with the Turion X2 ZM-84 CPU and fan, but you can install the Sempron CPU if you want fanless (the reverse of the momo upgrade).
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Awesome valuable info you gave... Thanks..!!! :) Reply with quote

That's some great info, spoolin01. Smile

If they actually had a full-sized PCIe riser-card, I'm wondering if it was x16 or x4 , if not just x1 with a large empty area not connected.

Yeah...if I was going to use the Mini-PCIe on the bottom of the motherboard, I would need it to support at least a SATA II and would be nice to also have a USB 3.0 connector.

If no USB 3, at least the SATA. otherwise it's of no use to me, to add that connector.
By the way, that Mini-PCIe connector is available at DigiKey.

As for the 2nd RAM socket... I remember finding a distributor, who had them in-stock for around $8 + shipping (I'm checking my backups of old data)

I'm not going to buy another ThinClient with that 2nd RAM, just to have 2 sockets... LOL... It's crazy enough to add a socket... Smile .. But buying a new TC just cause it's on there already, is way to crazy for me.

With a Hot-Air SMD soldering device, putting the socket on the board is WAY easier, than removing one.
I may not even need to remove the board. Solder paste & resin are easy to work with, once you know the technique of using it.

spoolin01 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just returned from vacation and read through your posts. The mini PCIe slot on the underside is where HP put the wireless card. I don't know if it will run a SATA drive. There is also one part number that always appears to have the PCIe connector, even if not OEM wifi. The other P/Ns don't have the connector installed unless they were OEM wifi. I can look up that P/N if you want it.

HP riser cards come up often on eBay, you may be able to find the one from the T5730 module if you watch for it. The only one I have left is from a new boxed unit, which is why it is priced where it is. At one time there seemed to be a lot of these expansion modules available after the T5700 line had gone end-of-life, so I'm sure they'll pop up on ebay from time to time.

An expansion module was also available for the GT series, and had a full length PCIe connector. I don't know enough about the technology to offer more information than that. Perhaps that one would work with the T5730. I don't recall if that module was similarly offered with both PCI and PCIe risers. That might be a clue whether they used the same wiring scheme.

If you want the dual RAM, the GT7720/7725 is closely related but has dual RAM. They come with the Turion X2 ZM-84 CPU and fan, but you can install the Sempron CPU if you want fanless (the reverse of the momo upgrade).

Last edited by momo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew how to do that kind of soldering. I've suspected many of the dead thin clients simply had bad RAM slots. I tried a heat gun to resolder but it just melted the connector.

I don't know enough about PCIe to tell much by looking. I've planned to install a vid card and use a utility to check how many lanes it's running, but haven't done it yet. Too many other projects, and there are better (lower power draw) 'high-performance' TC options these days. One day I'll also check if the risers can be switched to the T5730. I've got several of the GT expansion modules still to get rid of.

The GT series is similar vintage to the T5730. They don't come up often on eBay but since no one seems to know about them, they don't attract much competition. They are fairly powerful for an older TC, but also fairly high wattage, around 50 at idle if I recall. They were sold with a 120W adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SMD hot-air soldering device similar to this one...
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6368/26/aoyue_8032a_hand_held_digital_hot_air_gun

But there are better options now, like this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATTEN-AT858D-SMD-220V-Hot-Air-Rework-Station-Handheld-Hot-Gun-/221311756729

There's also THE HOT AIR PENCIL
http://zeph.com/pap.html

All use special tips that direct the hot-air to just go over the pins being worked with, by actually making the shape of the tip hot air output the size and shape of the package being soldered.

You can google ... hand held hot-air smd soldering to see more devices! and here's a small YouTube video on soldering with it. I'm sure more exist on YouTube too... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

And this one, actually using a hot-air tip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z0IiuQ35HU

Usually, for soldering ON a component, you don't always need the tip to "fit" the number of pins, as that last video showed.

Unsoldering usually is easier when all the pins are heated at the same time, to simply lift the part from the board, after the solder is melted.
But lifting too soon can lift the pad traces too... It's an acquired skill, after several uses, to feel how it's done.

spoolin01 wrote:
I wish I knew how to do that kind of soldering. I've suspected many of the dead thin clients simply had bad RAM slots. I tried a heat gun to resolder but it just melted the connector.

I don't know enough about PCIe to tell much by looking. I've planned to install a vid card and use a utility to check how many lanes it's running, but haven't done it yet. Too many other projects, and there are better (lower power draw) 'high-performance' TC options these days. One day I'll also check if the risers can be switched to the T5730. I've got several of the GT expansion modules still to get rid of.

The GT series is similar vintage to the T5730. They don't come up often on eBay but since no one seems to know about them, they don't attract much competition. They are fairly powerful for an older TC, but also fairly high wattage, around 50 at idle if I recall. They were sold with a 120W adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: *** New edits in first post *** Reply with quote

See important additional info, and a photo of my system in the first post.

(Edits on, July 11th, 2014, photo, .... July 5th, 2014, additional important info)

reflexdarky
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: HP thin client Reply with quote

hey guys great to see other modders out there working on this great thin client system.

@momo did you find the pcie mod at mod2 tab on the parkytowers.me.uk website.

The mods i have carried out on my 2 clients was a cpu upgrade (tl58) ram and Flash dom

i also modded the riser unit to accept a pcie graphics card

I used openelec the best linux distro for running xbmc.

I have also found i did not have to bother with a power supply mod the original works no problem even when the system is under load eg playing 1080p video.

My next ideas for the system are to some how embed a IR controller sensor to the front of the device, Add the second memory slot and installing a bigger hard disc to store local media.

something i have found was when running windows the cpu speed would never go up from 800mhz but when running openelec the speed would rise up and down when required could this be a bios limitation

Another idea i had was also seeing if any other options could be unlocked on the bios but i have hit a brick wall with that at the moment
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: HP thin client Reply with quote

@reflexdarky
The mod2 tab was added way afterwards.

I posted there, with my original Mod, around 2 years ago, but figured-out the PCIe Mod later. I told the owner of that site about it, but he must have had another mod'r with the similar idea already, and started the "Mod2" tab with it.
As for your power supply being "OK" for now...
It all depends on how close to the original 50-watts you are.
If the TL-58 CPU doesn't take as much power as the TL-68 (as mine is) you may have a bit more wattage margin, but if you start adding stuff, like a new hard drive, or other USB devices, that's when you may go over the 50-watts of the original PSU.

I've noticed the company selling my PSU also has a PSU that's 8 amps (around 100 watts) and it uses the same connector as the ThinClient has now. So no mod of the connection for it is needed, as my 16-Amp (192 watts) PSU needed. Wink

It's strange hearing windows didn't let the CPU go higher than 800MHz
What windows OS did you try?
I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) w/ the Media Center add-on, to play my 1080 content & record from my Divico USB HDTV Tuner.

If I start to edit AVCHD video, taken from my camcorder, the both CPU cores come on and the CPU speed increases. (As well as the heat generated by the CPU Smile )
Could it be your new TL-58 CPU may be defective?

I wanted to add the second RAM as well, but haven't looked thru my backups of where I originally found the place selling the proper socket for it.
I've been too busy with other stuff so far, but I know I have that info, I just hope the distributor is still in business, and still has the socket to sell.

YES... ...I agree, ... The BIOS is the final mod needed to be "cracked".
There must be other hidden features in it that were shut-down by HP when they made these ThinClients. That's going to be the hardest to get info of...and if you screw-up the BIOS, you can "kiss the ThinClient good-bye"

Is your Linux OS 64-bit ?
If not, you're missing out on the extra speed and "fluid motion" it creates with video playback.

By-the-way...what PCIe graphics card did you use?
Nothing too fancy, I hope. Smile

reflexdarky wrote:
hey guys great to see other modders out there working on this great thin client system.

@momo did you find the pcie mod at mod2 tab on the parkytowers.me.uk website.

The mods i have carried out on my 2 clients was a cpu upgrade (tl58) ram and Flash dom

i also modded the riser unit to accept a pcie graphics card

I used openelec the best linux distro for running xbmc.

I have also found i did not have to bother with a power supply mod the original works no problem even when the system is under load eg playing 1080p video.

My next ideas for the system are to some how embed a IR controller sensor to the front of the device, Add the second memory slot and installing a bigger hard disc to store local media.

something i have found was when running windows the cpu speed would never go up from 800mhz but when running openelec the speed would rise up and down when required could this be a bios limitation

Another idea i had was also seeing if any other options could be unlocked on the bios but i have hit a brick wall with that at the moment
T5735
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo I just wanted to thank you for all of the work you have done putting up this information about the 5730 series thin clients. I have a few of these and have been playing around with them looking online for things I can do to modify them to make them more usable and your post is the best one on the internet by far. I would like to make one small contribution that I have found so far and that is the Broadcom BCM70012 HD decoder card. I bought one of these for the mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the motherboard and it works great with windows 7. It totally eliminates the need for the expansion module in order to put in a full sized graphics card. I tried running several builds of XBMC by themselves on 5735 and found that none of the linux based distros have graphics drivers for the on board Radeon X1250 that work. All of the installs ended up being all artifact-ed. I ended up using a cheap 44 pin to zif adapter and using a ipod 4200rpm 80gb 1.8" hard disk that would fit inside the case and putting a full install of windows 7 on it and it works great now. It will eat any media I throw at it at full 1080p with the little broadcom card. My next project if I can find a expansion module for a reasonable amount is going to see if I can get a cable card tuner to work with this setup. If I can it will make this little thin client essentially a defacto set top cable box/dvr that I don't have to pay $25 a month for. Again thanks for all of your hard work and posts here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190869057072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spam ... or maybe not..?

Last edited by Pilot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Thanks for your addition of mods Reply with quote

@T5735

Thanks for the extra mods info. It's always nice to learn of other cards to put into the T5730/T5735 ThinClient.

Did your T5735 already have the Mini-PCIe socket installed on the bottom of the motherboard? My T5730 didn't, and at the time of my mods I didn't even know it had the circuit board trace pattern to add one. Smile

That's why I went with the expansion module... It was easier at that time.

Finding the expansion kit for this is getting harder, so knowing another way to install a PCIe card is always good to know. Wink thanks for the info.

I searched for other sellers of this card, and found these as well ...

2 sellers From Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal/dp/B009VY453E

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-AW-VD904/dp/B00B6P71OQ

And another from eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal-HD-Decoder-/180733336762

For anyone needing the 52 position (pin) Mini-PCIe socket,
The JAE brand socket is available from DigiKey.
Doing a search on their site brings up many JAE parts... But only several 52-pin sockets are listed.

I'm not sure which of them will work on the ThinClient, but here is the link for anyone needing it...

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80093&k=JAE+connectors&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=100

And one link example of just one of those 52-position sockets is...

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MM60-52B1-G1-R850/670-2516-6-ND/2504807

I hope all this info helps someone, more than confusing them. Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot
I figured the same thing...that's why I listed other sellers of this card, just in case it was a SPAM post by that last poster.
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 5 of them from work and 4 of them had the mini pci-e slots on the bottom. The way to tell if they have them is if on the end of the thin client there is a little hole towards the back covered with a rubber grommet then it will have a mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the motherboard as that slot was intended for the optional wireless card and the hole on the side of the thin client is where the antenna went that was attached to that card.

Last edited by T5735 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot
I figured the same thing...that's why I listed other sellers of this card, just in case it was a SPAM post by that last poster.

Heh well that seller is in China and I am in South Carolina so that spam would have to travel a long way. Very Happy That was just the cheapest place I had found them and where I ordered mine from. You can also use the newer version the BCM970015 with the adapter plate as well but it is more expensive. I used one of those in my T5740 that I use as a XBMC streaming box.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi T5735
Sorry I had to use the SPAM word...I've gotten many one-post replies, and didn't know for sure if yours fell into that category as well.

I'm glad to see you're NOT a SPAM'r. Wink

Hey, does your frame-rate play smoothly with HD content?
I saw a YouTube video showing this card, and it gave sputter on that users system when he showed an example of video playing on his Windows 7 system.

T5735 wrote:
momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot

Heh well that seller is in China and I am in South Carolina so that spam would have to travel a long way. Very Happy That was just the cheapest place I had found them and where I ordered mine from. You can also use the newer version the BCM970015 with the adapter plate as well but it is more expensive. I used one of those in my T5740 that I use as a XBMC streaming box.
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
Hi T5735
Sorry I had to use the SPAM word...I've gotten many one-post replies, and didn't know for sure if yours fell into that category as well.

I'm glad to see you're NOT a SPAM'r. Wink

Hey, does your frame-rate play smoothly with HD content?
I saw a YouTube video showing this card, and it gave sputter on that users system when he showed an example of video playing on his Windows 7 system.

T5735 wrote:
momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot

I have not used it a great deal on the 5735 as I use the 5740 to view media but so far it hasn't had a single problem at any file I have thrown at it. I think most of the people that have problems like you are talking about are using little netbooks that really don't have the horsepower to support the HD card. I upgraded the ram to a 2gb stick and I also use a 8gb flash drive in one of the internal usb ports as a windows ready boost to help with memory. I didn't want to spend much $ on these as I got them for free from work so I did a BIN on one of these auctions and upgraded the CPU's to Athlon 64 x2 TK-55 1.8GHz 512K. It was only $7 shipped for 5 cpus so I figured I would give it a shot as so far they seem to be working just fine but they come up as some different CPU in the bios but register just fine in windows. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 cpu over these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141140816548
Edit: I also almost forgot to mention that the Radeon X1250 onboard video card on this little thin client will do audio over DVI with a DVI-D to HDMI adapter. I was very surprised when I plugged in my DVI-D to HDMI adapter that came with my pc's graphics card into it and audio started to play on the tv before I had plugged in a 3.5mm audio cable.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5735 wrote:

I have not used it a great deal on the 5735 as I use the 5740 to view media but so far it hasn't had a single problem at any file I have thrown at it. I upgraded the ram to a 2gb stick and I also use a 8gb flash drive in one of the internal usb ports as a windows ready boost to help with memory. I didn't want to spend much $ on these as I got them for free from work so I did a BIN on one of these auctions and upgraded the CPU's to Athlon 64 x2 TK-55 1.8GHz 512K. It was only $7 shipped for 5 cpus so I figured I would give it a shot as so far they seem to be working just fine but they come up as some different CPU in the bios but register just fine in windows. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 cpu over these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141140816548

I also tried a lower cost CPU first, but was happier with the faster TL-68 - 2.4GHz CPU instead.

When I purchased it, the cost of the TL-68 was just $90 plus $4 shipping.
Now I've seen them for as much as $150

I'm sure other sources may have them for less, as used items, or old stock from companies just wanting to get rid of them Smile

The speed increase from a 1.8GHz CPU - to the 2.4GHz speed is noticeable with editing AVCHD ... As for HD playback a 64-bit OS was the bigger difference for me, but it did make everything better with the faster 2.4GHz speed as well.
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
T5735 wrote:

I have not used it a great deal on the 5735 as I use the 5740 to view media but so far it hasn't had a single problem at any file I have thrown at it. I upgraded the ram to a 2gb stick and I also use a 8gb flash drive in one of the internal usb ports as a windows ready boost to help with memory. I didn't want to spend much $ on these as I got them for free from work so I did a BIN on one of these auctions and upgraded the CPU's to Athlon 64 x2 TK-55 1.8GHz 512K. It was only $7 shipped for 5 cpus so I figured I would give it a shot as so far they seem to be working just fine but they come up as some different CPU in the bios but register just fine in windows. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 cpu over these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141140816548

I also tried a lower cost CPU first, but was happier with the faster TL-68 - 2.4GHz CPU instead.

When I purchased it, the cost of the TL-68 was just $90 plus $4 shipping.
Now I've seen them for as much as $150

I'm sure other sources may have them for less, as used items, or old stock from companies just wanting to get rid of them Smile

The speed increase from a 1.8GHz CPU - to the 2.4GHz speed is noticeable with editing AVCHD ... As for HD playback a 64-bit OS was the bigger difference for me, but it did make everything better with the faster 2.4GHz speed as well.

I might just compromise and get one of these TL-64 2.2's for $17 and see how that does. I know you save a good bit of money by doing it but man I hate having to wait 2 to 3 weeks for stuff to get here from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-64-2-2-GHz-Dual-Core-CPU-Processor-TMDTL64HAX5DM-/271555488953?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f39f7ecb9
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I know what you mean...shipping from china takes a long time, sometimes.

I saw your added info ...
Edit: I also almost forgot to mention that the Radeon X1250 onboard video card on this little thin client will do audio over DVI with a DVI-D to HDMI adapter. I was very surprised when I plugged in my DVI-D to HDMI adapter that came with my pc's graphics card into it and audio started to play on the tv before I had plugged in a 3.5mm audio cable.

That's really interesting... Thanks for that.

I found this USA seller from Texas with a TL-68, but it's $66.88
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-68-2-4-GHz-Dual-Core-TMDTL68HAX5DM-MOBILE-SOCKET-S1G1-/321470791337?pt=CPUs&hash=item4ad926fea9

I don't know if 200MHz more, from the TL-64, is worth the higher costs, also for faster shipping
But maybe other sources not from eBay may have it cheaper.
Have you tried Amazon?

EDIT
Oops...I just checked on Amazon, and saw it was MORE expensive...
TMDTL68HAX5DM
http://www.amazon.com/Turion-Dual-Core-Mobile-Processor-TMDTL68HAX5DM/dp/B001R3H46W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406879718&sr=8-1&keywords=TMDTL68HAX5DM

Remember, when you use a faster CPU, you may also need a better higher wattage power supply

T5735 wrote:

I might just compromise and get one of these TL-64 2.2's for $17 and see how that does. I know you save a good bit of money by doing it but man I hate having to wait 2 to 3 weeks for stuff to get here from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-64-2-2-GHz-Dual-Core-CPU-Processor-TMDTL64HAX5DM-/271555488953?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f39f7ecb9
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
Yeah... I know what you mean...shipping from china takes a long time, sometimes.

I saw your added info ...

That's really interesting... Thanks for that.

I found this USA seller from Texas with a TL-68, but it's $66.88
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-68-2-4-GHz-Dual-Core-TMDTL68HAX5DM-MOBILE-SOCKET-S1G1-/321470791337?pt=CPUs&hash=item4ad926fea9

I don't know if 200MHz more, from the TL-64, is worth the higher costs, also for faster shipping
But maybe other sources not from eBay may have it cheaper.
Have you tried Amazon?

EDIT
Oops...I just checked on Amazon, and saw it was MORE expensive...
TMDTL68HAX5DM
http://www.amazon.com/Turion-Dual-Core-Mobile-Processor-TMDTL68HAX5DM/dp/B001R3H46W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406879718&sr=8-1&keywords=TMDTL68HAX5DM

Remember, when you use a faster CPU, you may also need a better higher wattage power supply

T5735 wrote:

Yea for the price difference I think I will just roll with the TL-64. I figured I might need a bigger power supply and I actually found one from a HP printer that plugs into the thin client I will have to look and see what it is rated at tomorrow but the brick is almost twice the size as the stock one. Another application I am looking into using this thin client for in Steam in home streaming. http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/
It allows my main gaming pc to do all of the work and I can basically use the thin client like a console on my big screen tv in the other room.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a TL-64 in Texas for $14.88 + $4 shipping from an eBay user w/ 100% positive feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-TURION-64-X2-TL-64-2-2-GHz-1Mb-DUAL-CORE-TMDTL64HAX5DC-MOBILE-SOCKET-S1G1-/321322313713?pt=CPUs&hash=item4ad04d67f1

For around $2.00 more than the China seller, from a USA seller, may be worth the look. Smile

Use thermal grease when you change it.
I used Arctic Silver 5
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
You don't need to use much either, just a small drop in the middle of the core area is all that's needed.
(If you put too much, it's actually bad. Smile and will not work as well as a small amount)

Clean-off both heat-sink and core area with 91% isopropyl Alcohol before applying the thermal grease, using a lint-free cloth.
I used lens cleaning papers for this.
No need to get special cleaners and fancy cleaning papers / kits.

Oh...I wanted to also mention, with the power supply you said you found from the HP printer...
Make sure it's also 12v DC as well as the higher wattage.

Also check that the connector is the same polarity as the ThinClient PSU
HP printers may be slightly different...HP was sneaky that way. Wink
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
I found a TL-64 in Texas for $14.88 + $4 shipping from an eBay user w/ 100% positive feedback

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-TURION-64-X2-TL-64-2-2-GHz-1Mb-DUAL-CORE-TMDTL64HAX5DC-MOBILE-SOCKET-S1G1-/321322313713?pt=CPUs&hash=item4ad04d67f1

For around $2.00 more than the China seller, from a USA seller, may be worth the look. Smile

Use thermal grease when you change it.
I used Arctic Silver 5
http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
You don't need to use much either, just a small drop in the middle of the core area is all that's needed.
(If you put too much, it's actually bad. Smile and will not work as well as a small amount)

Clean-off both heat-sink and core area with 91% isopropyl Alcohol before applying the thermal grease, using a lint-free cloth.
I used lens cleaning papers for this.
No need to get special cleaners and fancy cleaning papers / kits.

Oh...I wanted to also mention, with the power supply you said you found from the HP printer...
Make sure it's also 12v DC as well as the higher wattage.

Also check that the connector is the same polarity as the ThinClient PSU
HP printers may be slightly different...HP was sneaky that way. Wink

Thanks for the link I just bought one. Laughing I am well antiquated with arctic silver as I do IT for a living and I used it when I changed the CPU with one of those in the lot of 5 that I won. Do you have a link to the larger power supply that you could that works with the stock port? I might just go ahead and buy it to be safe. I really hope that I can eventually have this little thin client be a cable box/game console using a xbox 360 controller using steam in home streaming. Right now I am doing the in home streaming using my HTPC and it works fantastic just essentially being a thin client itself and my main gaming i7 pc doing all of the computing load. Also I wanted to ask you about soldering the extra memory slot on the bottom and possibly a CF card slot. I have done a fair bit of soldering fixing tv's capacitors etc but never anything that small. The guns that you mentioned look real similar to this rework system my father bought me a few years ago thinking it was a nice soldering station. It is a OK industries FCR-2000 orced Convection Rework Soldering System. Could I use something like that to solder the sockets on myself?
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome....and very lucky... Smile
I just looked-up my receipt for my first Mods try with a TL-64 before paying the higher cost of the TL-68, and saw I paid $40 (+$4 shipping) for the TL-64 around 2 years ago. I don't know why the TL-68 is still so much more $$$ than the TL-64.
Oh well...!

The power supply that's 8.5 amps (102 watts) is here..
http://www.mini-box.com/110w-12v-8-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter
I'm assuming the polarity of the barrel connector is ...
positive in the center, and negative is the outer area.
Please ask the sales rep from mini-box, just to be sure.

My 192 watt PSU, (that needed a mod'd connection to the T5730) is here..
http://www.mini-box.com/12v-16A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter
(If anyone else is interested. Smile )

Regarding the second RAM socket, and your hot-air soldering station.
I'm still trying to find my original listing of the distributor who had the RAM socket available 2 years ago.

When my Mom died, I didn't pay much attention to where I placed stuff when cleaning the house, but I do know I have it somewhere on one of my backup data drives. I wanted that too, and think the T5730 can actually support 2 of 4 GB modules, for a total of 8GB. I haven't tried this yet, but the spec-sheet of the chipset says it supports up to 8GB of RAM.

As for your SMD rework station... If it's a Hot-Air type, it should be fairly easy to solder the connectors, of ANY socket, or chip, using a standard hot-air tip, and solder paste. (There's a video I link to showing how it's done w/ Hot-Air)

It's when you need to remove a multi-pin device you need the special tip to heat all the pins at the same time, so it lifts-up easier.

The info of the CF connector can be found at the UK site I posted my Mods ..
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/mods.shtml

Scroll-down to the Compact Flash area, further down that page.

That OK industries FCR-2000 forced Convection Rework Soldering System is really nice. That's the type I originally wanted, but didn't have the funds at the time to pay that much.

Yes, it should be good to use. Just use a thin tip that won't interfere (hit into) any other connections around the area when you use the hot-air.

You may want to practice doing several test soldering on things you don't need, just to get the feel of how it works.

Your station has an air-flow indicator so it should be fairly easy to find the right setting for it so it doesn't blow too forcefully on the pins.
If the air is too strong it can blow off other caps or small components out of place, that are around the area. If it's too weak, not enough heat will come out.

If you have several small round generic tips, you can squeeze the round shape of one of them into a longer shape, so you direct the hot-air where you want it.

I'm glad people are getting more use out of these thin clients, now that the Magicjack isn't needing a dedicated computer any longer. Smile

T5735 wrote:

Thanks for the link I just bought one. Laughing I am well antiquated with arctic silver as I do IT for a living and I used it when I changed the CPU with one of those in the lot of 5 that I won. Do you have a link to the larger power supply that you could that works with the stock port? I might just go ahead and buy it to be safe. I really hope that I can eventually have this little thin client be a cable box/game console using a xbox 360 controller using steam in home streaming. Right now I am doing the in home streaming using my HTPC and it works fantastic just essentially being a thin client itself and my main gaming i7 pc doing all of the computing load. Also I wanted to ask you about soldering the extra memory slot on the bottom and possibly a CF card slot. I have done a fair bit of soldering fixing tv's capacitors etc but never anything that small. The guns that you mentioned look real similar to this rework system my father bought me a few years ago thinking it was a nice soldering station. It is a OK industries FCR-2000 orced Convection Rework Soldering System. Could I use something like that to solder the sockets on myself?
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
You're welcome....and very lucky... Smile
I just looked-up my receipt for my first Mods try with a TL-64 before paying the higher cost of the TL-68, and saw I paid $40 (+$4 shipping) for the TL-64 around 2 years ago. I don't know why the TL-68 is still so much more $$$ than the TL-64.
Oh well...!

The power supply that's 8.5 amps (102 watts) is here..
http://www.mini-box.com/110w-12v-8-5A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter
I'm assuming the polarity of the barrel connector is ...
positive in the center, and negative is the outer area.
Please ask the sales rep from mini-box, just to be sure.

My 192 watt PSU, (that needed a mod'd connection to the T5730) is here..
http://www.mini-box.com/12v-16A-AC-DC-Power-Adapter
(If anyone else is interested. Smile )

Regarding the second RAM socket, and your hot-air soldering station.
I'm still trying to find my original listing of the distributor who had the RAM socket available 2 years ago.

When my Mom died, I didn't pay much attention to where I placed stuff when cleaning the house, but I do know I have it somewhere on one of my backup data drives. I wanted that too, and think the T5730 can actually support 2 of 4 GB modules, for a total of 8GB. I haven't tried this yet, but the spec-sheet of the chipset says it supports up to 8GB of RAM.

As for your SMD rework station... If it's a Hot-Air type, it should be fairly easy to solder the connectors, of ANY socket, or chip, using a standard hot-air tip, and solder paste. (There's a video I link to showing how it's done w/ Hot-Air)

It's when you need to remove a multi-pin device you need the special tip to heat all the pins at the same time, so it lifts-up easier.

The info of the CF connector can be found at the UK site I posted my Mods ..
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/mods.shtml

Scroll-down to the Compact Flash area, further down that page.

That OK industries FCR-2000 forced Convection Rework Soldering System is really nice. That's the type I originally wanted, but didn't have the funds at the time to pay that much.

Yes, it should be good to use. Just use a thin tip that won't interfere (hit into) any other connections around the area when you use the hot-air.

You may want to practice doing several test soldering on things you don't need, just to get the feel of how it works.

Your station has an air-flow indicator so it should be fairly easy to find the right setting for it so it doesn't blow too forcefully on the pins.
If the air is too strong it can blow off other caps or small components out of place, that are around the area. If it's too weak, not enough heat will come out.

If you have several small round generic tips, you can squeeze the round shape of one of them into a longer shape, so you direct the hot-air where you want it.

I'm glad people are getting more use out of these thin clients, now that the Magicjack isn't needing a dedicated computer any longer. Smile

T5735 wrote:

Thanks for the links and the soldering info. I am going to have to practice this a bunch of times before I attempt it on the actual thin client. The videos you linked to make it look easy but that guy is a total pro. I was looking around ebay and found this guy who appears to have a ton of 5730's for $20 or best offer shipped. You may send him a message and ask him if has any with the rubber grommet on the end as it would already have the mini pci-e slot on the bottom and that would be one less thing to worry about. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331270408167?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Yes it takes some practice, but it's not impossible to master too. Smile

I don't think I'll be purchasing another ThinClient, but thanks for finding it, for anyone else interested.

There are also some resisters and capacitors needed with that Mini-PCIe socket, added to the motherboard, so if someone wanted to add the socket they'd need to also know these added SMD components.

http://masu.6f.sk/extra/files/x86/t5730/pic/t5730_minipcie.JPG

This is why I'm glad you found someone selling these with the Mini-PCIe socket already on there. Wink

Anyway...practice your soldering, and in no-time you too will become a pro at SMD Hot-Air rework / soldering.

T5735 wrote:

Thanks for the links and the soldering info. I am going to have to practice this a bunch of times before I attempt it on the actual thin client. The videos you linked to make it look easy but that guy is a total pro. I was looking around ebay and found this guy who appears to have a ton of 5730's for $20 or best offer shipped. You may send him a message and ask him if has any with the rubber grommet on the end as it would already have the mini pci-e slot on the bottom and that would be one less thing to worry about. http://www.ebay.com/itm/331270408167?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: PCIe mini connector info Reply with quote

I found a site mentioning the Mini-PCIe 52-pin connector for the T5730
http://soltec.exblog.jp/13060498/

It's a Japanese site, but it looks like they have defined the exact JAE connector needed,
and have linked to a PDF from JAE, of the connectors data-sheet...
http://jae-connector.com/jp/pdf/SJ105215.pdf

The data-sheet is in English. (How nice of them Smile )
It seems to give the part # too. (Bottom right-side of PDF)

If anyone from Japan is reading this post, and can translate some of the important info from the web site, about the connector, and/or resistors and capacitors needed to be added on the motherboard, please let us know.

This site also mentions the CF connector, but I didn't see any link to a Data-Sheet for it.
T5735

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo I opened up that site in Google Chrome and it has a feature that will ask you to translate it for you. It isn't perfect but you can get the general idea of what they are talking about. I also found this site that talks about adding the second ram slot but it is in German so you would have to use chrome to translate it as well.
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2581275.html
Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or in polish..............
T5735

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
or in polish..............

Yea it does look that way. Google translate said German and I really didn't look to closely before I had it translate.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Nice...more info from around the world..! :-) Reply with quote

Hey..that's great..! Thanks T5735

I looked at the #8 post there...
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2581275.html#12665702
...and translated the text, separately, (copy/paste) using googles site...
https://translate.google.com/?vi=c
...and it doesn't look like they added the socket.

I think they just added the RAM Module, because they don't mention adding a 2nd RAM socket. Instead, they mention adding the RAM itself, only.
(I could be wrong)

It also looks like the thread is mostly dealing with adding a 32GB Flash DOM
but they do have some interesting photos there.

One is the back of the T5730 motherboard showing that the resisters and capacitors are already on the board, for the Mini-PCIe socket, without the socket on there yet.

http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/7150965900_1377429437.jpg

Another, in that same #8 post, shows the 2nd RAM socket on the motherboard.

http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/1754849400_1377429289.jpg

I'm wondering of anyone of them actually added the 2nd socket..!
If so, maybe someone can post a polish text message there asking if anyone there knows the 2nd RAM socket part #, and where to buy it.

Using Google Translate to do it may not make it understandable enough Smile

This T5730 is quite popular around the world. Maybe they actually saw this thread, to inspire them to try the Dual-Core 64-bit CPU. Wink

Seems someone also just purchased the TL-64 CPU from that eBay site guy in Texas, mentioned to you in the post above. (Aug 5th 2014 purchase)

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=321322313713&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

@pilot
Hey...PILOT...what's up with all the SPAM posts on here.
I see you tagged another few in the MagicJack Technical Support area.

Isn't there any moderators watching here any longer?
I did a Google search for one of the SPAM'rs names, and found him posting on many other sites too, with the same nonsense about Cell-Phone Jammers.
They banned his account on most of those sites.
That same thing needs to be done here too..! Wink

EDITED...
Ha ha.. I just noticed... The SPAM was already removed...!
Nice..! Cool

T5735 wrote:
Momo I opened up that site in Google Chrome and it has a feature that will ask you to translate it for you. It isn't perfect but you can get the general idea of what they are talking about. I also found this site that talks about adding the second ram slot but it is in German so you would have to use chrome to translate it as well.
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/topic2581275.html
T5735

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there were different versions of the 5730 for different countries? Maybe the ones in Europe came with two ram slots? On a side note after reading about all of these soldering posts I took a look at my t5740 which only uses the mini pci-e cards and discovered that the spots were there for the full sized cards so I took out the reflow machine and moved them so now I can use the much cheaper $11 BCM70012 cards instead of the $25 BCM70015 cards. Very Happy
http://www.getpartsforless.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/7/578025-001.jpg
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Did you get THAT good with hot-air soldering, already? !!! Reply with quote

Yes, It's possible a second RAM socket may already be mounted on some European models of the T5730.
I'd still like to find out if someone, from that polish electronics hobby site, successfully added it to theirs. Oh well..!

I'm a bit confused with your statement, about what you moved. Smile
Are you saying you unsoldered the mini-PCIe socket on your T5740, and soldered it to another location on the motherboard?

If so, you've REALLY gotten VERY GOOD with reflow hot-air soldering..! Shocked

I looked around the internet at stock T5740 motherboards, and found there's another RAM socket mounted on the bottom...
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/382/426/478/478426382_113.jpg

Is this true of yours?

The Google search result link...
https://www.google.com/#q=hp+t5740+motherboard+photo

T5735 wrote:
I wonder if there were different versions of the 5730 for different countries? Maybe the ones in Europe came with two ram slots? On a side note after reading about all of these soldering posts I took a look at my t5740 which only uses the mini pci-e cards and discovered that the spots were there for the full sized cards so I took out the reflow machine and moved them so now I can use the much cheaper $11 BCM70012 cards instead of the $25 BCM70015 cards. Very Happy
http://www.getpartsforless.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/7/578025-001.jpg
T5735

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I only unsolder-ed the little metal clip that goes on the end of the card to keep it seated into the socket. If you look at the picture I linked you can see behind the current location of where the link is now approximately twice the length it currently is now you will see their are two solder pads. I just unsoldered that metal clip and then soldered it back down onto those two pads. This makes me able to use the larger older and cheaper cards as well as the newer cards because they come with an adapter plate attached to them to make them fit the older slots.
This is what the older BCM70012 looks like.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1850893866_2/Free-shipping-Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal-HD-Video-Decoder-AW-VD904-Mini-PCI-E-Card.jpg
This is what the newer BCM70015 looks like with the adapter plate on it.
http://www.laptopbattery-fan.co.uk/images/Broadcom-BCM70015.jpg
This is them side by side.
http://www.hd.club.tw/data/attachment/forum/month_1010/10101111322f22d774a48326ea.jpg

Yes the T5740/45 does have two ram slots on it with one being on the bottom of the motherboard. It can take up to 16gigs of DDR3 ram. I have 4 gigs in my one I use as my XBMC Openelec box and it works great.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Oh...now I understand.. :) it's still good soldering by you. Reply with quote

OK, that makes it clearer. Cool
You put it where text on the motherboard is showing F4: F5: 1.5 A/8 V right?

If that's the spot, it's still nice soldering by you.
You had to unsolder three solder-pads on the old clips position, one being on the opposite side...without overheating the board, not pulling off the trace-pattern.
How'd you like using the Hot-Air Reflow station?
Did you practice first, or dive into the task?

I see the T5740/45 MoBo has a SATA controller/connector already.
That's convenient. Smile

Is it SATA III or just II ?

T5735 wrote:
No I only unsolder-ed the little metal clip that goes on the end of the card to keep it seated into the socket. If you look at the picture I linked you can see behind the current location of where the link is now approximately twice the length it currently is now you will see their are two solder pads. I just unsoldered that metal clip and then soldered it back down onto those two pads. This makes me able to use the larger older and cheaper cards as well as the newer cards because they come with an adapter plate attached to them to make them fit the older slots.
This is what the older BCM70012 looks like.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1850893866_2/Free-shipping-Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal-HD-Video-Decoder-AW-VD904-Mini-PCI-E-Card.jpg
This is what the newer BCM70015 looks like with the adapter plate on it.
http://www.laptopbattery-fan.co.uk/images/Broadcom-BCM70015.jpg
This is them side by side.
http://www.hd.club.tw/data/attachment/forum/month_1010/10101111322f22d774a48326ea.jpg

Yes the T5740/45 does have two ram slots on it with one being on the bottom of the motherboard. It can take up to 16gigs of DDR3 ram. I have 4 gigs in my one I use as my XBMC Openelec box and it works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and MagicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: