magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

***New Mods T5730 a Dual-Core 64-bit CPU & PCIe G-card

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: ***New Mods T5730 a Dual-Core 64-bit CPU & PCIe G-card Reply with quote

EDITED I had to change this subject line, see the October 6th 2011 post, further-down this thread, for the entire story.
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post73112.html#73112
Smile
--------------
Edit as of July 11th, 2014

**** Here's a photo of my system

------
Additional EDIT July 5th 2014

This extra bit of info is important, before you try any modifications, so I'm adding it to this first message.

Check my signature in my posts, to see what I'm using with my T5730

If you use a dual-core CPU, and PCIe x16 (@ x1) Graphics Card, you'll also need a better power pack.
I'm using a 12 volt DC - 192 watt (16 amp) brick Power-Supply,
modified to fit in a molex 2x2 connector on the T5730,
soldered directly to the motherboard trace pattern in 4 separate areas.
(2 positive & 2 negative wires - 8 Amps per wire-pair)
I selected this PSU because I wanted extra power(wattage) "head-room",
if I add any USB 2.0 devices, or hard drives... etc...
and I didn't want the PSU operating at it's near MAXIMUM rated value all the time.

The graphics card doesn't need to be fancy.
Any simple PCIe x16 that doesn't need a separate power connection thru another power-supply cable link.

I suppose you could pull 12 volts directly from the new PowerSupply to power a fancy card,
but it won't matter on the T5730 Smile to have such a fancy graphics card when just x1 is used.

If you want to open the slots back-end plastic part from the HP PCIe riser-card, so a x16 card fits it's x1 slot,
be very careful cutting down that back area of the socket.
The ground clips for the card are there, so whatever you use to cut the plastic away from the slots back-end,
stay as close to the outer area of that plastic as you can while cutting away the plastic, to open the slot.

Once you've opened the slot, use plastic fishing line, or thin plastic ties to hold the PCIe card into the HP riser-card,
and a small plastic "spacer" by the slots back-end, to keep the card from rocking in the slot. ---> see photo, above <---

You can also use a plastic "spacer" to stabilize the graphics card against the motherboard.
(--"plastic spacer" can be any scrap piece of plastic that works Wink )

Don't expect great fast 3D rendering, since just x1 PCIe line is used.
But for playing HDTV, it seems x1 PCIe is very smooth moving, and all that's needed.
You'll need to set the cards OS to use the lowest default graphics setting for 3D,
or just try it's own balanced default first, using the drivers graphics card control software.

Are you going to use it for HDTV Playing, & or tuner TV recording?
What OS are you going to use on it. (I use Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit)

I recommend a 64-Bit OS. It makes the video playback smoother.
I tried both 32-bit & 64-bit...there IS a big speed difference with 64-bit,
and it gives it that "fluid" motion effect, where it doesn't show any flicker.

--------------------------------
Original post
--------------------------------
Hi, the subject line isn't large enough to tell the entire story, so here goes

From other posts of mine, on this site, (and to make a long story short) ... Smile

My original T5710 had a BIOS problem, HP sent it back fixed, but not having
the original CPU of TM8800 so my 1GB RAM didn't work on the replacement board with the TM8600

HP offered to replace the T5710 with a new T5730, but I'm wondering
how good a deal it actually is for me.

It uses different RAM memory, and the Flash Drive may be soldered onto
the board, according to Kingston

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo.asp?SysID=45629&mfr=HP%2FCompaq&model=Thin+Client+t5730+%2F+t5735&root=us&LinkBack=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kingston.com&Sys=45629-HP%2FCompaq-Thin+Client+t5730+%2F+t5735&distributor=0&submit1=Search

So, now I'm wondering if it's a better deal because it now uses more power too ...
(50 watts for the T5730, and around 10 watts for the T5710)
and a slower CPU @ 1GHz (the T5710 was 1.2GHz)

... and what about the Magicjack, will it give any troubles or need special considerations?

HP also offered to swap my PCI Expansion Kit for my T5710 for the PCI/PCIe Expansioin Kit used on the T5730

What's your opinion, from the ones with more knowledge here, about the T5730?

Is the FlashDrive the same for the T5730 as on the T5710
Or is it soldered on the board, as kingston seems to think,
replaceable ONLY by HP.

Thanks.

Last edited by momo on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:39 am; edited 9 times in total
PTravel
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion, only, but I think this is a good deal. The t5720 is a terrific thin client that can do an amazing number of things. If all you want to do is run a MagicJack, it won't make a difference, but if you're interested in other applications, I'd take the t5720 deal.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTravel wrote:
My personal opinion, only, but I think this is a good deal. The t5720 is a terrific thin client that can do an amazing number of things. If all you want to do is run a MagicJack, it won't make a difference, but if you're interested in other applications, I'd take the t5720 deal.

if you think the T5720 would be a good deal ... DUDE ... they offered a T5730
not the T5720 Very Happy

you mis-read ... Razz

no matter though, you think the upgrade is a good deal by the tone of your excitement, thinking a T5720 trade would be great. Smile

BUT, I still have to wait and see if they find a T5730 PCI/PCIe Expansion Kit to
replace my T5710 Expansion Kit, ... they couldn't find one yet, and are still
also looking for a TM8800 based T5710 to replace my original one...
and I'd have to send all of my T5710 stuff back for the exchange.

I'm wondering if the same FlashDrives I have will work on the T5730
I know the RAM module is different, again, according to the Kingston site.

I also asked them if they'll send the power-supply for the T5730, ... it needs a larger wattage PS than the T5710

which brings up the point of the extra wattage usage... even at idle.
T5710 ... around 10 watts or lower
T5730 ... around 50 watts (maybe slightly lower)

Not to mention, the slower CPU, just 1GHz, instead of 1.2GHz
is the T5730 faster anyway, because it has a larger FSB ???
I think the T5710 has a FSB of 100 or 133 ... what's the T5730

I don't know for sure, about all these points, and sometimes what seems like a good deal
may just be more delay and expense for me getting the new memory module, and
not being able to swap a larger FlashDrive, if it even will work with an 8GB DOM at all,
not to mention the higher power requirement for when the thing is doing nothing, and it can't go into "suspend mode",
because the MagicJack needs to be connected all the time...!

I did want to also use the Thin Client as a PVR with my Dvico Fusion5HDTV USB Tuner, and
maybe also a video server thru my Router, but, it's still up in the air if it's over-kill for what I need now,
or if I should think of it as "upgrade-ability" for later needs down the road,

so, I'm still undecided.... this is why I need more input, (info) about it. Smile
PTravel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops. Damn numbers! Smile

Just going by purchase price, this is a heck of a deal. The cheapest I've been able to get t5730s for is $250 on eBay -- most are in the $400-600 range.

I've got a bunch of t5720s and two t5730s. The biggest advantage of the t5730 is the built-in gigabit NIC and DVI video port. If you want to stream video, make a PVR or do anything involving video, this is the way to go. With a t5720 (and t5710) you get only a single PCI slot -- that means either a DVI-equipped graphics card or a gigabit NIC -- not both.

The t5730 supports the 8 gigabit flash ROM from Transcend. I've got one on which I've loaded full XP Pro (in fact, I'm using it to post from right now). Frankly, I don't think the 2/10th of a gigahertz difference in CPU speed makes much of a difference. They're different processors so, without knowing the efficiency of each, it's really impossible to benchmark them just on the numbers. I'd have to open one up, but I'm pretty sure the flash RAM isn't soldered. Unfortunately, I'm off to China early tomorrow for three weeks, so I won't have a chance to do this 'til I get back. It should be in the specs somewhere, I'd think.

I'm fairly sure the FSB is 133 MHz. Hang on a sec -- okay, just checked. Aida32 reports a 200 MHz FSB. Aida also reports SODIMM memory -- I suppose that still could be soldered, but I wouldn't think it likely.

Oh, one other nice feature of the t5730: the expansion slot can be either PCI or PCIe. If you're ever tempted to set up a RAID system using eSATA drives, it's easy (well, relatively easy) to do with a PCIe card (I'm running a terabyte RAID system on this one).

You could always take the t5730, sell it on eBay and buy 2 or 3 t5710s. Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you actually had one (or two) of the T5730's

does it always take the full 50 watts, or does it depend on what's inside?

it may be several months before I add the other functions, and didn't want to have it draw more power and have less things being done by it.

It's going to be my Internet link, and MagicJack support computer, for now, so it's light duty at first.
... I'd hate to be drawing 50 watts for so simple a task.... that's why the T5710 was so interesting... under 10 watts, maximum.

but i do admit, the extra upgrade-ability is a temptation for my added PVR and Video server use.

I may actually keep it if HP can find the PCI/PCIe Expansion Kit, and includes the higher wattage power supply.

Kingston says the memory is DDR2, ... the T5710 uses 200 pin DDR
So I'd also have to get new memory? ... can it handle 2GB of RAM ?

I'm glad the FlashDrive is the same. Rolling Eyes

thanks for all this info. Cool

if the RAM is replaceable, I may keep it and not sell it on eBay.
it would only further delay my use of MagicJack and my other uses for the thin client.

are there any links to what it looks like inside the T5730 Question
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: You're not gonna believe this, about the T5730 Reply with quote

Hey, PTravel, I recently discovered some wild info facts about the T5730.

It's a 64-bit motherboard ...

It has a socketed (S1G1) CPU, that will accept a Turion x2 Dual-Core 2.4GHz 64-bit CPU (S1G1 socket S1) (AMD TMDTL68HAX5DM)

There's a board layout trace pattern area for a second RAM socket.
(I'm going to add the socket. I've seen the type that's needed)

There's a board trace layout area for a CF-Slot socket, on the bottom side, under the Flash Drive area. (bottom side of mobo)

You'll also need to get a higher wattage power supply block for all these additions.

But here's something I didn't know ... There's an on-board PCIe 16x v1.1a slot there already.

(*** EDITED- the PCIe socket on the T5730 isn't standard wired, and not compatible with standard PCIe cards, without the HP included PCIe riser-card

-------------------------------
**** Edit of June 2014 ****
You can use a PCIe x16 graphics card in x1 speed, if you cut-off the back plastic section of the HP PCIe x1 Riser-cards socket, that's keeping a full-sized card from fitting in.

I did that, and it works well enough to play HDTV full screen without flicker or lost frames

It's best to use a 64-bit OS and Dual-core MPU with 400 MHz (800 MHz) speed RAM module

Read more, in the posts dealing with each point.
Ask something if you're not sure, before you mess it up. Smile
------------------------------------------
)

I already confirmed the 2.2GHz Dual-Core 64-bit Turion x2 CPU works.
I tried a 2.4 GHz speed of the same model CPU, it worked, but the CPU may have been defective because it shut down shortly after.
I sent it back for a replacement.

(***EDITED- the replacement 2.4GHz CPU worked perfectly)

(The BIOS screen shows the CPU as something else, but the OS sees the correct one, it must not be controlled by BIOS, instead, by the OS)

The 2.2GHz CPU is still working ... And I have the system playing 1920x1080i to my monitor, smoothly, at full screen... using the Dvico USB Gold Fusion5 HDTV tuner.

I also was able to install Windows7 64-bit, and it fully worked, but when the defective CPU crapped out, it did something to win7 and I wasn't able to install again, but the WinXP Pro, full version is in, and working, on a 320GB Western Digital 2.5 inch Hard Drive, using a Female-to-Female 44-pin IDE cable, in place of the Flash Drive.

Now I'm going to try a EVGA 7600GT PCIe card, and I've purchased a 12vdc 16 amp (192 w) power supply brick to support all these new additions.

I have the 7600GT card ($20 + $4.99 s/h) from EVGA B-stock section.

And I've located a flex-riser adapter for the PCIe 16x slot ... But still have to try this all, when the riser card comes in.

I had to modify the power supply connector area on the T5730, adding wires and a 4-pin plug to attach the 16 amp PSU.

Many pictures were made so far, but I'm waiting to see if the 7600GT works.

All this will be posted on the EVGA forum, and maybe here too. Wink

With the faster CPU and the Dual-Cores, the CPU usage doesn't go much past 50% while playing the HDTV 1080i out from the DVI ...also dual monitors are supported now too... But don't want to press it. Smile yet!

Playing AVCHD works too, but plays slightly slow, most likely because of the built-in graphics limitations... This is why I want to try the 7600GT, but don't know if the BIOS will complain, or the mobo will give the maximum of 75 watts from the PCIe socket.

I hope there isn't a limit on the power regulators of the motherboard Confused

Cool

I have the data sheets for the chipsets on the mobo....
This was where I got my hints. Very Happy

Last edited by momo on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:46 am; edited 7 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all ... It seems HP doesn't use a standard wiring pattern for their PCIe 16x slot on the T5730

The ground lines don't match-up to standards in other motherboards generic in design, along with the signal and other voltage lines, so, standard PCIe 16x risers won't work unless a custom riser is made.

One thing I should mention, the company I got these risers from was very nice dealing with this issue, sending me new risers to try at no cost to me.

http://www.microsatacables.com/

I've offered to pay them for their troubles, and asked if they'd be interested in designing a custom HP "style" riser, using my original HP PCIe x16 to standard PCI 32 slot card to compare theirs to the HP risers wiring at the PCIe side.

We'll see how that goes Rolling Eyes But you never know ... They're REALLY a very nice place to purchase from, given what they put-up with regarding this issue.

Wink Very Happy

Oh...BTW... All the other mods worked, remember? ... Now I'm going to put the replacement 2.4GHz CPU in and see if that's good too.

Later dudes! Cool
V0X
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

save yer money and get a plus (no thin client needed)
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V0X wrote:
save yer money and get a plus (no thin client needed)

Yes... So I hear!... Wink

But my point is, the ThinClient can now be a serious computer, without the magic jack to take it over.

I wound up getting Callcentric, ... not much more than the magic jack service per month. (with a discounted incoming DID)

And better than where I was several years ago, ... I take back saying Future-Nine was any good, they're babies compared to Callcentric.

Anyway, the T5730 is now a Dual-Core @ 2.4 GHz it runs the Dvico HDTV tuner at full screen and records to the built-in 320GB Hard Drive... VERY SMOOTHLY.
So it's now my Digital Video Recorder for HDTV shows.
I'm going to add the extra RAM socket for allowing two(2) separate 2GB dual-channel RAM modules... It may even be able to handle 4GB chips for a total of 8GB in dual-channel.

I even had Windows 7 pro 64 running on it with just the 2GB one module.
But the graphics chip, (on-board) holds it back from a better win7 rating.

if I can get the PCIe non-standard HP 174-pin socket re-wired with a new riser adapter, I'll be able to put the EVGA 7600GT PCIe graphics card in.

That means the CPU will not have to work as hard, and more can be done with the T5730... a "Smart HDTV" can be made out of it, plus a full REAL computer, and not just an Internet device.

HP didn't tell us everything the T5730 can work with, and with the limitations of the small OS , Flash Drive, RAM, slow CPU, and limited Graphics it's really only good for the old magic jack.

I can even use it now to stream full speed HDTV video and audio, to my iPad2, using an App on the iPad2, and a video streamer server program on the T5730, anywhere in the house locally , or over the public Internet.

Its wild!

Laughing

Cool

Last edited by momo on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weznezz
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Momo, I have a T5730 myself which I've been messing about with alot recently. I found this thread after googling for dual core cpu's, so I'm glad to find that I can put one in this.
But regarding the pcie x16 slot, it's actually just a combined PCIe x1 slot and a normal PCI slot into a x16 shaped slot.
I'm going to take a guess (as I have no riser to prove this) that the x1 pinouts should be correct, but the other half of the slot has been rewired for the official HP legacy PCI riser.

I hope I've helped you as much as your findings have with me! Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Weznezz thanks for your post.
**** Edited June 2014 ****
You were right after all.
That's why I'm editing important posts in this thread, to say so. Wink

------------
Remember, when/if you do get the dual-core CPU you'll also need a more powerful power supply.
One that's 80w or higher to power the new CPU and other circuits,
and a fan near the bottom, on the inside or outside blowing across the lower heat-pump fins.

----------
***** EDITED .... October 18th 2014 ... *****
The EVGA company seems to have changed their Forum links.
The ones of my posts don't match these two links...
...and I suspect all others to their site that may be in other posts within this thread.

Oh well, if I get a chance I'll search their site for it,
but all of the important info about this Mod, is here. Smile

----------

I've posted on the EVGA site about this too, ...
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1232349

As well as another thread about the PCIe slot, ...
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1261264

This second thread link has a picture of the standard PCIe x16 slot riser card, and the HP PCI 32 slot riser.
It doesn't look like the x1 wires are a match,
because the ground pins and some power pins are in the wrong place.

The first thread started out about the bad caps on a Geforce 7600GT card,
then starts to mention my upgrade mods, later in the thread,
with some pictures also showing the HP's memory socket,
and the on-board trace pattern for a second one, to add.
(yeah it can handle more than one)

I've also given links to an 80w & 102w power pack, using the same power-plug,
so no mod to the mobo's board is needed. Wink

And, links where to get lower priced dual-core Turion x2 CPU's

As well as some links to the chipsets data books,
and BIOS development books.
(in case a programming brain reads the threads) Very Happy

I posted there, under the name NewestUser. Cool

I still think it may be, at least, an 8x PCIe slot.
I'm trying to get the schematic, for the motherboard, to be sure.

I haven't posted all the pictures regarding the mods, but if more readers are interested, maybe I will post more about it.

Weznezz wrote:
Hey Momo, I have a T5730 myself which I've been messing about with alot recently. I found this thread after googling for dual core cpu's, so I'm glad to find that I can put one in this.
But regarding the pcie x16 slot, it's actually just a combined PCIe x1 slot and a normal PCI slot into a x16 shaped slot.
I'm going to take a guess (as I have no riser to prove this) that the x1 pinouts should be correct, but the other half of the slot has been rewired for the official HP legacy PCI riser.

I hope I've helped you as much as your findings have with me! Smile

Last edited by momo on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:16 am; edited 2 times in total
kieths
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: T5730 DDR2 240 pin 2GB - who makes it? Reply with quote

Momo,

Very interested in the T5730 mods you've described.
My T5730 came without a power supply, so...I changed polarity on a 12v/3.5a orphaned supply to meet the need.

Planning for a 2.2 GHz upgrade (your notes), using the Turion mobile dual core CPU.

I currently have 1 GB, but I'm very interested in your memory upgrade. You mentioned the second socket solder pads on the m/b - I see them, but maybe later. But I see you are currently running a 2 GB configuration. I don't find any 240 pin 2 GB SO-DIMM modules listed on eBay. Which module / PN are you using?

Last question. You mentioned in a previous post that with the CPU, etc. upgrades, a stronger power supply may be needed. I don't plan to add any PCI/PCIe cards, just the 2.2 GHz CPU, and hopefully, replace my 1GB with a 2GB (goal is online streaming for audio and video, no local storage). I figure my current power supply is 42 watts (P=IE, so 42 watts = 3.5 amps x 12 volts DC). Is there a way to KNOW how much power would be needed to drive the CPU/memory upgrades alone, and, will it require an external fan, or can I squeeze a smaller fan inside the case (prefer additional internal heat-sinking if possible to avoid the fan noise / power use / opportunity for mechanical failure)?
kieths
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: t5730 mods: findings along the path Reply with quote

Thanks to the notion of trying non-stock hardware on the t5730.....

I bought and installed a good used 2.2 Ghz x2 Turion mobile CPU in my system, with a clean dollop of new heatsink compound. I find it is warmer than the stock 1ghz, but reasonably cool even without a fan...as long as there is plenty of space surrounding the case. My somewhat 'super-stock' 12vdc 3.5a AC adapter runs fine with the new CPU (my early conclusion after 4 hours non-stop video).

I'm running a stock HP factory image XPe sp3 (d/l from Hp's website). The new dual core CPU was recognized as new hardware upon boot. It looks for missing files (didn't capture the requested filenames, but can...if asked). I don't have all files (not even on my Ms XP pro original CD via USB CD drive). So it doesn't truly utilize the second core- yet. Task manager verifies this, only a single core running (pending the needed files)

I found the installed memory module is 244 pin ddr2, 1gb (Hynix 1gb 2rx16 pc2-5300s-555-12).. (To the first modder, I'm guessing you just tried a random 2gb module that fit, and luckily the chipset recognized it?). I've seen 4gb modules for simmilar spec modules on eBay, but doubt XP (or my watered down XPe) would fully take advantage of it (I'm also too cheap to buy it for a 'try' at about $50 !!).

MagicJack (original) barely uses any CPU overhead, even though my 2.2 Ghz sees only one of it's two cores. Solid stable sounding calls via my LAN connection.

Hoping to supplement XPe with needed files to enable the second CPU core. Otherwise, I have an unused MS XP with license, and could go the route of a tiny HDD upgrade to run that. Prefer to keep it solid state if possible. May explore the route of using a CF card (unlimited writes, per warranty....) and adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: t5730 mods: findings along the path Reply with quote

Hi kieths, I replied to your PM as well, but figured I could also post my reply here since its good info for everyone to see too.

I'm guessing, the main reason the second core isn't being seen is the RAM limit you have now of just 1GB. If not also the limited XPe.
(BTW-check my signature, I now have the 2.4GHz CPU, just 'cause its faster)

*** are you SURE the installed memory module, on yours, is a 244 pin ddr2...?
*** mine was a 200 pin.

Here's my PM post with all the details. ... For all to see.
Please ignore the redundant bits of it that may not address the facts you already stated in this public post, I didn't read this area before I answered your PM. Smile

I'll look-up the module number I have for RAM and get back to you soon.

As for the power supply ... The best choice, minimum, is 75 watts, just to be safe, even without the other mods.
I have a 192 watt Power-pack

*** One note ... Just to consider ... Your used CPU may have a defective second core. ***

I'll get the 2GB module number for you, so you can try that too, first, before sending back the CPU.

-----

Hi kieths,
Thanks for your interest in my post.

I'm not sure you've understood the entire upgrade I did to my T5730.
I also changed the systems 1GB RAM for a 2GB Module, as well as changing the Flash Drive for a standard 2.5 inch 320GB PATA hard drive (using a female to female 44-pin IDE cable for it)

The second core may need a minimum of 2GB of RAM, to be seen, plus the full version of XP. (I'm not fully sure of this, I read it, and I was lucky enough to have already had the 2GB module) ... I was also planning to put the other socket for RAM on the board, to allow an additional 2GB module, (total 4GB), but haven't gotten around to this more time consuming end of the MOD. Besides the XP Pro (sp3) full version 32-bit just seeing around 3GB of the 4GB anyway.

Plus, I also hope you've updated your original power-pack from the T5730.
It's wattage was too low to reliably power the unit with the new CPU.
As well as some kind of small FAN blowing air thru the system for removing the extra heat.

Did you check the device manager, hardware view, to see if XPe shows there's a new CPU now? You may have to allow the flash drive to update, without holding back drive writing, by enabling drive writes, for the CPU update, when you reboot.

If you're not getting XPe to use or see the second core, and you don't have enough room to put the full version of XP Pro (sp3) on it, as I put on mine, you may be able to use the device manager to pull the CPU update files from Microsoft, thru the Internet. (but 2GB of RAM, minimum, may still be needed to have the second core function.)

I'm also not sure if the XPe will allow this, but it's worth a try, since its free to try it. Smile

If you know how to bring up the area of the device manager, where all the systems hardware shows, with the drivers, ... You can simply click on the CPU line, open its "properties" and do a driver update thru the Internet.

I also did this, just to make sure I had the latest AMD driver for the CPU, and was able to download the latest CPU info files, automatically. I think it was 2007 driver file (CPU.INI)

If you don't know where to look in the device manager, or how to get there, or the procedure to follow to update the driver files, just ask.

I'm also not sure the limits you still have on the T5730 will allow this all to work, but it's worth a free try.

Smile
Please let me know your outcome, or, if you need any additional help.

kieths wrote:
Hi Momo,

It was because of your posting(s) that I tried mods at all against the T5730, in fact the reason I got the T5730 at all, having started with just a 1ghz/1gbr/512mbf T5720.

I'm at a crossroads at this point. I want to use the T5730 for video streaming onto the tv (DVI->HDMI->TV), but it's too slow (can't even play Youtube's Popeye 1rst episode smoothly). So I followed your lead, and upgrade the CPU, Turion 2.2 Ghz Dual core to replace the Sempron 1 Ghz. I'm seeing the CPU as single core, and clocking at about 1.9. The speed doesn't bother, but the missing second core does. I've read about the ways to overcome the missing second core, and prefer not to change out the OS...just yet. I would prefer to add in the missing files to enable the second core, if that's possible. Have you successfully patched / supplemented missing second core file to make a factory XPe image recognize and run correctly? I would like to have a list of known missing files, if that's possible. I believe some may be hard to locate, but I do have a few computers around here...each with a licensed installation of XP. Perhaps they can be my source.

MJ does run on my older T5720, though with very limited left over space. The 512MB flash, I would guess, is about the minimum one could run MJ on. Perhaps I've left in some O/S baggage that's removable, but it's pretty much full with MJ.

-----

kieths wrote:
Thanks to the notion of trying non-stock hardware on the t5730.....

I bought and installed a good used 2.2 Ghz x2 Turion mobile CPU in my system, with a clean dollop of new heatsink compound. I find it is warmer than the stock 1ghz, but reasonably cool even without a fan...as long as there is plenty of space surrounding the case. My somewhat 'super-stock' 12vdc 3.5a AC adapter runs fine with the new CPU (my early conclusion after 4 hours non-stop video).

I'm running a stock HP factory image XPe sp3 (d/l from Hp's website). The new dual core CPU was recognized as new hardware upon boot. It looks for missing files (didn't capture the requested filenames, but can...if asked). I don't have all files (not even on my Ms XP pro original CD via USB CD drive). So it doesn't truly utilize the second core- yet. Task manager verifies this, only a single core running (pending the needed files)

I found the installed memory module is 244 pin ddr2, 1gb (Hynix 1gb 2rx16 pc2-5300s-555-12).. (To the first modder, I'm guessing you just tried a random 2gb module that fit, and luckily the chipset recognized it?). I've seen 4gb modules for simmilar spec modules on eBay, but doubt XP (or my watered down XPe) would fully take advantage of it (I'm also too cheap to buy it for a 'try' at about $50 !!).

MagicJack (original) barely uses any CPU overhead, even though my 2.2 Ghz sees only one of it's two cores. Solid stable sounding calls via my LAN connection.

Hoping to supplement XPe with needed files to enable the second CPU core. Otherwise, I have an unused MS XP with license, and could go the route of a tiny HDD upgrade to run that. Prefer to keep it solid state if possible. May explore the route of using a CF card (unlimited writes, per warranty....) and adapter.

Last edited by momo on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: The 2GB memory module is ... Reply with quote

The Kingston KTH-ZD8000B/2G 200pin 1.8v SODIMM DDR2

*** Edit June-2014 ***
A faster memory module part can be used, better than this one.
Read more in the post at this link...
http://www.phoneservicesupport.com/post77646.html#77646

----
*** EDITED - September 13th 2014

The memory links below are outdated, and wrong anyway.
Simply search for 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM PC2-6400 memory that's 800MHz speed.
This will give you a 400MHz actual speed.

See page 2 of this thread. It's explained in more detail

The link ^ above ^ goes to that post, directly
----

Shown on Kingston's site at ...

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KTH-ZD8000B/2G

*** please verify if the RAM module is in fact 200 or 244 Pin on your T5730
*** if yours IS 244-pin ... the one I listed won't fit.

If you Google it, you may find less expensive pricing than full retail ...

Googles search results...
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=KTH-ZD8000B/2G&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=174059966398213773&sa=X&ei=EXFhT_DZMYry0gH_x-W1Bw&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAA

One online source showed BUY.COM ...here...
http://www.buy.com/prod/kingston-2gb-ddr2-sdram-667mhz-200-pin-so-dimm-notebook-memory/203482835.html

Just as an example. ... Others may have it too.

Try Pricegrabber.com too. They'll search many other sources as well.

The Kingston brand of this module has a lifetime warranty.
But if you try another brand, I don't know if the specs are the same.

It should have a total of 16 chips on the module (8 on each side).

I'm trying to find my receipt for the place I got the power supply from.
They had lower pricing than anyone else for a range of wattages suited for this application, without needing modding of the connector, as I had to do for my higher wattage PSU.

When I find that source, I'll post it too.

If your PSU isn't getting too hot, you may be OK, but it's working at the near maximum wattage it can give. So if it doesn't blow out soon, it's really being "stressed" and will shorten its life, in the long-run.

Remember, one CORE isn't "ON" so it could be fooling you to think its not taking the full wattage it really will use with both cores running, plus the streaming HD video later on.

Be careful with this.
When you find out what's keeping the other core "OFF" and finally activate it, the wattage will rise, and the heat will too.! Both on the PSU, as well as the CPU... So a fan will ultimately be needed. You'll also need to keep the GPU cool, in case you've forgotten about that chip, on the motherboard. (the other large heatsink) Think of using a FAN, sooner than later. Wink

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: A quick update to he RAM module CAS latency # Reply with quote

I just tried another Kingston # RAM module as shown in my previous post, but after purchasing a second one, this modual has Hynix chips on it with a CAS latency of 6 , rather than a CAS of 5 as the original Kingston 2GB module I had.

*** EDITED June-2014 ***
Here's a photo of the chip numbers on the module with CAS 6
The "FP-S6" denotes a CAS 6 speed.

If you buy it thru eBay, or other online methods,
ask the seller to look for these Hynix chip#'s on the module,
before you purchase. To make sure it's the CAS 6 speed.

Kingston 200 pin PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Memory KTH-ZD8000B/2G
Check eBay for these, if you want the fastest.
Kingston's website doesn't seem to list the 800MHz 200 pin version any longer

Other manufacturers brands may also work, as long as it's PC2-6400
200 pin 800MHz modules - CAS 6 (CL-6) - un-buffered - Non-ECC - DDR2 - 1.8 volt
-------

The CAS 5 just gave a maximum mem clock speed of 300MHz (667MHz)
But the CAS 6 gives 400MHz (800MHz) max mem clock speed.

Playback of all my HD video formats got faster (smoother) with this one chip, compared to the CAS 5 RAM.

Now I'm surely going to put the missing RAM socket in ... For Dual-channel RAM memory operation.

This will speed-up the overall playback speeds of the HD video even more, with a matched set of the same brand, CAS latency , and size RAM.

Last edited by momo on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 am; edited 6 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Maybe my last post regarding this mod, I don't know... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Recent events has, for now, (maybe forever), caused me to stop working on this mod. ... My Mom passed away recently.

I will update you now, regarding the dual-core activation in Windows XP Embedded OS ... It's not the amount of RAM used that activates the 2nd core.

You will need to put the special files XP Pro (sp3) uses to activate the second core, into your XPe installation.

If you google for the procedure and XP files needed to do this, there are several links showing how.

If you're going to use the full XP Pro (sp3) you'll be able to activate the dual-core just by installing the new processor... nothing else is needed to be added, because the full XP has the files needed to do it, already in there.

If I ever feel like coming back to continue discussing the mod, I will, but for now this is it.

BYE...!
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: This got me going, then I see HP did this already Reply with quote

I remember reading this thread a few months back, and being interested in this mod. I even bought a couple of X2 CPUs to try. Since then I've found out a couple of things - adding the second surface mount RAM connector would be about impossible for DIY, even if you could find it, and besides, it's already been done... by HP! The HP GT7720 (XPe) and GT7725 (Linux) use this chipset (mobo looks close to identical), with a dual core 2.3GHz Turion X2 Ultra (and a fan), and dual channel memory. Externally, the boxes are identical, including the I/O panel. Power supply is 19V (90 or 120W), however. Video is integrated HD 3200.
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I would like to ask you, if you can draw pin-out where in the proprietary connector (physically PCI-E 16x) in T5730 is located PCI-E 1x ?

because with this knowledge I can use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Express-x16-PCI-E-16X-Extension-Riser-Card-Flexible-Extender-Cable-24CM-/181334302995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a385de113

and cross cables, that PCI-E 1x will be match and the rest will be unconnected....

Thank you for your advice in advance,

Alfieri21
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have that information. Probably easier to just buy the riser if you can find it, or the whole expansion module.

I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll take a closer look at the risers when I'm back. Perhaps some deduction of the pin locations can be made.

Or, just buy the one I have on eBay! These come up fairly often there.
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoolin01 wrote:
I don't have that information. Probably easier to just buy the riser if you can find it, or the whole expansion module.

I'm away from home at the moment, but I'll take a closer look at the risers when I'm back. Perhaps some deduction of the pin locations can be made.

Or, just buy the one I have on eBay! These come up fairly often there.

Hi spoolin01,

I saw your offer on eBay, I am the one who made a request about shipping cost to Europe (nick Alfieri21). But shipping price almost the same as selling price of item => it is just too much.

If you can try visually and maybee "beeps" it with multimetr?
(I do not know the proper english phrase to this. I mean use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected and testers usually have a piezo buzzer which beeps when the resistance is small => verb "beeps" it)

If you can, it will be more than really nice from you!

Thank you in advance,
Alfieri21
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

Hello, I saw your private message, but figure others can benefit from this info publicly.

The Expansion socket on the ThinClient T5730 is not a standard pin out of a PCIe socket.

It may have x4 wiring available, but it's PCIe adapter, from the expansion-kit, is just wired for PCIe-x1

That adapter you link to, from eBay, will short the ThinClient out, or blow-out trace patterns on that eBay adapter.
I know this because I tried it, before finding out the connector on the T5730 isn't wired as a standard PCIe connector, because it's a HP proprietary circuit.

You can get the expansion-kit for it, where it has a PCIe x1 adapter,
and a PCI 32 standard adapter.

I used the PCIe x1 adapter, and cut off the back-piece of the plastic 1x connector on it so a PCIe x16 card will fit-in, then used plastic ties to hold the board into the adapter.

When I plug the adapter into the ThinClient expansion connector, with the 16x PCIe graphic card, it works perfectly, in 1x mode, and makes the graphics faster than using a normal PCI graphics card. The ThinClient may be wired for x4 but the adapter isn't.

I'm able to use Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, with the Media Center Add-On, and can record/playback shows without ANY skipping of the frames.
I'm also using an old Fusion5HDTV USB Gold Tuner with this configuration.
Win8.1 has it's own driver for the Dvico Fusion Tuners, and all worked together well.

I also used a cheap EVGA G-force 7600 GT - PCIe x16 card that was under USD$25.00, with shipping Smile

alfieri21 wrote:
Hi, I would like to ask you, if you can draw pin-out where in the proprietary connector (physically PCI-E 16x) in T5730 is located PCI-E 1x ?

because with this knowledge I can use one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Express-x16-PCI-E-16X-Extension-Riser-Card-Flexible-Extender-Cable-24CM-/181334302995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a385de113

and cross cables, that PCI-E 1x will be match and the rest will be unconnected....

Thank you for your advice in advance,

Alfieri21
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

momo wrote:

It may have x4 wiring available, but it's PCIe adapter, from the expansion-kit, is just wired for PCIe-x1

What about the expansion set for succesor, for the T5740, code AZ551AA. By the pictures (just google search - images: http://tinyurl.com/q2ves76 ) it is looks like, that the PCI expansion board is the same one as the one in expansion module for T5730. But the PCIe board is different and just with PCIe x4, as you mentioned. Maybe this PCIe x4 should work with T5730. What do you think about it?

momo wrote:

That adapter you link to, from eBay, will short the ThinClient out, or blow-out trace patterns on that eBay adapter.

I know, the idea was to cut all cables and cross them, to connect to proper pins in proprietary HP connector to part in female part which correspond to PCIe x1. The rest should be unconnected. This should work, right? And for this I need the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector.

momo wrote:

I know, but I bought T5735 for USD$35 and now the expansion kit with shipping from US to Europe will be USD$84 :-/

So can you find out the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector in your machine? Please.

BR,
Alfieri21
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

alfieri21 wrote:
momo wrote:

What about the expansion set for succesor, for the T5740, code AZ551AA. By the pictures (just google search - images: http://tinyurl.com/q2ves76 ) it is looks like, that the PCI expansion board is the same one as the one in expansion module for T5730. But the PCIe board is different and just with PCIe x4, as you mentioned. Maybe this PCIe x4 should work with T5730. What do you think about it?

I found a photo of that PCIe adapter on eBay and saw it had wiring differences from the one for the T5730
Yes it's a x4 Riser, but the power pins are different, as well as others.

momo wrote:

I know, the idea was to cut all cables and cross them, to connect to proper pins in proprietary HP connector to part in female part which correspond to PCIe x1. The rest should be unconnected. This should work, right? And for this I need the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector.

way too much work, PLUS the wiring needed by that may cause EMI/RFI interference on the board and stop it from working, or make the image degrade the x1 PCIe speed.

momo wrote:

I know, but I bought T5735 for USD$35 and now the expansion kit with shipping from US to Europe will be USD$84 :-/

I know what you mean, but it originally cost US$600.00
Modifying it always cost something. Wink

So can you find out the pin-out of PCIe x1 in proprietary HP connector in your machine? Please.

I've been trying to find that same thing.
If I had the schematic, I was going to design a custom x16 riser-card, but later found out it's just x1 or maybe up to x4, looking at the trace pattern on the Riser-card I have.

If you go to google, and put in the official part# for that T5730/35 PCI expansion kit, (GZ286AA) it may show an eBay auction for under $10 for it.

I got lucky, and that's what I paid, with $7 shipping, but outside USA usually shipping is more
Maybe you'll find one auctioned outside of USA...but shipping will always be part of it. Smile

Good luck....MoMo

-p.s.-
I just googled and found this one, where they're willing to accept your best offer.
It's starting with his "suggested" $49 price, but he'll accept less
Was this the one you saw, costing over $80 with shipping?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIe-x1-or-PCI-expansion-module-for-HP-T5730-T5735-GZ286AA-PCI-e-/131205533316?pt=US_Thin_Clients&hash=item1e8c758e84

They are getting harder to find, & the longer you wait, the costlier it can get, unless someone on eBay doesn't know what it's worth. HaHa!

By the way- if you do get one, and decide to cut-off the back-plastic piece of the connector, so a x16 card fits-in, be VERY carful when you get to the bottom, even near the middle of that connector back plastic part, because the pins of the connector are close-by, and you can damage the ground pins if you're not careful

Here's a photo of it, from this auction page, close-up, until the link goes off. Wink
Copy it before the photo & auction link are gone.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/zHIAAOxyuR5TYY0-/$_57.JPG
(I removed the image display text from the link, 'cause it was making the thread display with very small text to show the full picture)

BR,
Alfieri21

Last edited by momo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

momo wrote:

1)
I found a photo of that PCIe adapter on eBay and saw it had wiring differences from the one for the T5730

2)
way too much work, PLUS the wiring needed by that may cause EMI/RFI interference on the board and stop it from working, or make the image degrade the x1 PCIe speed.

3)
I just googled and found this one, where they're willing to accept your best offer.

4)
By the way- if you do get one, and decide to cut-off the back-plastic piece of the connector, so a x16 card fits-in, be VERY carful when you get to the bottom, even near the middle of that connector back plastic part, because the pins of the connector are close-by, and you can damage the ground pins if you're not careful

1)
Thank you very much for quick cross reference! Now I know, that it is incompatible. Thank you for your observation, you save me time and money

2)
It is actually "only" 18 cables/pins. I can shield this connection etc. But there still should be EMI/RFI, you are right. But still I am willing to give a try... Therefore I am still looking for PCIe x1 pin-out in HP proprietary connector...

3)
Yes it is! And even more, the seller is guy from this forum - spoolin01 (he answered first to my reopen of this topic)
- shipping USD 35 :-/ Now I am looking some friend who will travel from Czech Republic to US and back. I will use him as delivery boy Smile

4)
Thanks for warming me! In this case I will be carefull

Alfieri21

PS:
Other option should be Mini PCIe on bottom of the board. Mini PCIe -> PCIe x1 -> raiser cable to PCIe x16

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322251125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
- http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delock-Riser-Card-PCIe-x1-PCIe-mini-Porterweiterungskarte-Adapterkarte-NEU-/151245129307?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item2336e9865b
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-PCI-express-to-PCI-E-1X-USB2-0-Card-adapter-Riser-Extender-test-tool-/121343188549?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item1c409e1e45
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-1x-to-16x-riser-good-for-litecoin-mining-rig-/111359940667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ed91d83b
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

You're very welcome. I admire your energy & hope you have more luck than I did trying to find the schematic (wiring diagram) of the HP connector or Riser card.

I even called HP and offered to purchase the schematic or repair manual, but they didn't have one.
They had the boards made by another company, for them.

----
Oh...another bit of info... That connector on the back of the motherboard isn't a Mini-PCIe ... It's a Compact Flash card connector.
*** EDITED --- silly me, there IS a Mini-PCIe trace pattern on the back. I never knew that. Embarassed
-----
You can read more about it on this British site, where I uploaded my original mods...
http://parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/mods.shtml

My mods start at the Sub-Heading of ... CPU - 2 ... On that page.

There have been others modding this T5730/35 as well, since my last posting there. He's added a "Mods 2" tab. Smile

As for the eBay Auction, have you tried to make an offer other than the $49 he suggests?

I'd say, $25 is a good start, maybe he'd say yes, being you need to add that high shipping costs of $35.

It's still less costly than having a friend travel here and back to your country, to pick-it-up.
(Funny joke...by the way... Wink )

alfieri21 wrote:
momo wrote:

1)

2)

3)

4)

1)
Thank you very much for quick cross reference! Now I know, that it is incompatible. Thank you for your observation, you save me time and money

2)
It is actually "only" 18 cables/pins. I can shield this connection etc. But there still should be EMI/RFI, you are right. But still I am willing to give a try... Therefore I am still looking for PCIe x1 pin-out in HP proprietary connector...

3)
Yes it is! And even more, the seller is guy from this forum - spoolin01 (he answered first to my reopen of this topic)
- shipping USD 35 :-/ Now I am looking some friend who will travel from Czech Republic to US and back. I will use him as delivery boy Smile

4)
Thanks for warning me! In this case I will be careful

Alfieri21

PS:
Other option should be Mini PCIe on bottom of the board. Mini PCIe -> PCIe x1 -> raiser cable to PCIe x16

- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261322251125?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
- http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delock-Riser-Card-PCIe-x1-PCIe-mini-Porterweiterungskarte-Adapterkarte-NEU-/151245129307?pt=DE_Computer_Sonstige&hash=item2336e9865b
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-PCI-E-PCI-express-to-PCI-E-1X-USB2-0-Card-adapter-Riser-Extender-test-tool-/121343188549?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item1c409e1e45
- http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCIE-1x-to-16x-riser-good-for-litecoin-mining-rig-/111359940667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ed91d83b

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

Hi,

actually my biggest chance to success are you, guys who have the expansion card and are willing to help. What I need are detailed photos and even better, someone, who will try to "beeps"* the PCIe x1 connector on expansion card with pins on this card.

*I do not know the proper english phrase to this. I mean use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected and testers usually have a piezo buzzer which beeps when the resistance is small => verb "beeps" it

According to this:
http://masu.6f.sk/extra/files/x86/t5730/pic/t5730_cf_pcie.JPG
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/links.shtml
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=Category:T5730

and I checked the botttom side of my board. On the bottom are unpopulated CF card slot and mini PCIe.

For you the miniCPIe should work for WiFi, USB3, SATA etc. depend just on miniCPIe card.,,

And yes, I tried to make an offer. But more importantly, maybe I have a guy from US, who will travel to Czech Rep. to visit his famyli Smile Maybe my delivery boy Smile
And this guy will walk and over the water swim, so it will be cheap Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (just joke too).

Best regards
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: It's not a standard PCIe connector on the ThinClient Reply with quote

This is interesting.
I didn't know it has that MiniPCIe socket layout pattern.

I never fully removed the main board when soldering the 4 wires for the PSU connector. I was able to find power lines near the end-corner and just removed those screws & lifted the boards corner to solder there. Smile

Edited, Sept.13th 2014 ... added info...
My T5730 Mods to add the 16 Amp (192 watt) PSU connector
http://imgur.com/a/MguHb

Is it a full x16 MiniPCIe or just x1 or x4 ?

I have another memory module, so my next planned Mod is adding the 2nd memory socket, but this is nice news, about the MiniPCIe.
It's funny it was shown on the other site that posted my other mods, and I never saw it. Laughing

Was "miniCPIe" a typo-error Smile or some new card?
If a SATA 2 or 3 controller with USB3 existed in MiniPCIe, I'd be interested to add the socket.
The older style 44-pin drives are getting hard to find, and are too small in GB now. And it would be nice to also have at least 1 USB3 socket for speed.

By the way...using an ohmmeter and hearing beeps, is a continuity test

Doing a pattern trace of a boards wiring is big work. You may save money on buying it made, but the time needed to trace-out the wires, and still need to build some connector/adapter ...is why I never tried tracing the wiring by looking at photos... Now you want me to do it, anyway... Smile Laughing

I don't mind taking photos, I have a 8.5 MPixel camera, so they'll be good and sharp. It has a macro-CloseUp lens too.

How many wires are you expecting to need tracing, and what's a decent hourly rate for this... HaHa..! Razz

I may want to visit another country, instead....! Wink

How'd you know I can walk over the water.
Swimming in it, is my problem.. Smile

alfieri21 wrote:
Hi,

actually my biggest chance to success are you, guys who have the expansion card and are willing to help. What I need are detailed photos and even better, someone, who will try to "beeps"* the PCIe x1 connector on expansion card with pins on this card.

*I do not know the proper english phrase to this. I mean use a resistance-tester (ohmmeter) to figure out if something is connected and testers usually have a piezo buzzer which beeps when the resistance is small => verb "beeps" it

According to this:
http://masu.6f.sk/extra/files/x86/t5730/pic/t5730_cf_pcie.JPG
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=T5730_hwpcie
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5730/links.shtml
http://masu.6f.sk/index.php?title=Category:T5730

and I checked the botttom side of my board. On the bottom are unpopulated CF card slot and mini PCIe.

For you the miniCPIe should work for WiFi, USB3, SATA etc. depend just on miniCPIe card.,,

And yes, I tried to make an offer. But more importantly, maybe I have a guy from US, who will travel to Czech Rep. to visit his famyli Smile Maybe my delivery boy Smile
And this guy will walk and over the water swim, so it will be cheap Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (just joke too).

Best regards

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
alfieri21
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am not sure, but I think, that mini PCIe is just form of PCIe x1. The change is in absence of 12V level and I am not sure how about USB in ordinary PCIe x1, but in miniPCIe is USB. But it is possible to convert miniPCIe to PCIe x1 and othervise. And the count of pins in miniPCIe should be "proof", that it is just x1.

With the second memory module, it sould be nice, but where to take the socket? Any idea? eBay link? I have no idea what key words use to find the proper one :-/

miniCPIe is typo, sorry.

and there are cards like 2x USB3:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+USB3&_nkw=miniPCIe+USB3&_sacat=0&_from=R40

SATA ports:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+SATA&_nkw=miniPCIe+SATA&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And the SATA adapter is SATA III 6Gbps...

And about tracing pins, please, take a detail photos, it would be nice from you.

My gues is, that I will have to trace 18 pins (PCIe x1). and with the cable raiser I will cut the cables (except the ones, wich are in proprietary connector on correct place) and solder them (maximum 18 cables). Soldering should take one hour and tracing? Who know? If it is possible to figure out it from pictures, than should be another hour, two?

But after one hour I can find out, that some traces are imposibble to follow and it will be the end.... But who knows.

Yeah walk on water, nothing new, right? Very Happy
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Let me know if this is helpful Reply with quote

I took some photos two years ago,
The file name is ... HP T5730 PCIe - x1 Riser.zip

several views of the board.
I posted them to this other site link ...

http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/56176801/file.html
----
*** EDITED - September 14th 2014 - ***

The above link has expired.
I've started a new photo account at a really cool site. You may think of using it too Smile

Here are the photos of the T5730 Expansion kits Riser-card,
plus 2 from the HP GT7725 that is compared to the T5730 in a composite photo, front and back views.

**** The new link to the Photos is... http://imgur.com/a/54Flr

----
use the download button on the right-side of the page, not the ones showing in the ADS graphic below the files description. Smile

alfieri21 wrote:
Hi,

I am not sure, but I think, that mini PCIe is just form of PCIe x1. The change is in absence of 12V level and I am not sure how about USB in ordinary PCIe x1, but in miniPCIe is USB. But it is possible to convert miniPCIe to PCIe x1 and othervise. And the count of pins in miniPCIe should be "proof", that it is just x1.

With the second memory module, it sould be nice, but where to take the socket? Any idea? eBay link? I have no idea what key words use to find the proper one :-/

miniCPIe is typo, sorry.

and there are cards like 2x USB3:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+USB3&_nkw=miniPCIe+USB3&_sacat=0&_from=R40

SATA ports:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XminiPCIe+SATA&_nkw=miniPCIe+SATA&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And the SATA adapter is SATA III 6Gbps...

And about tracing pins, please, take a detail photos, it would be nice from you.

My gues is, that I will have to trace 18 pins (PCIe x1). and with the cable raiser I will cut the cables (except the ones, wich are in proprietary connector on correct place) and solder them (maximum 18 cables). Soldering should take one hour and tracing? Who know? If it is possible to figure out it from pictures, than should be another hour, two?

But after one hour I can find out, that some traces are imposibble to follow and it will be the end.... But who knows.

Yeah walk on water, nothing new, right? Very Happy

Last edited by momo on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 10 times in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: This got me going, then I see HP did this already Reply with quote

Hi, I'm sure the newer HP ThinClients do have this second RAM socket, but I'm not getting a new ThinClient, just for the second RAM option, when I can add it myself to the T5730.
if you have a Surface Mount Hot-Air soldering device, it's easy to put it on there. (yes, I have one Smile )

The socket is available. I found a distributor, but never got the socket, when my mother died, near the time I was going to get the part.

I have to look-up that info, I have it somewhere, but I'm not in a rush.
you don't seem to be in one either. Wink

spoolin01 wrote:
I remember reading this thread a few months back, and being interested in this mod. I even bought a couple of X2 CPUs to try. Since then I've found out a couple of things - adding the second surface mount RAM connector would be about impossible for DIY, even if you could find it, and besides, it's already been done... by HP! The HP GT7720 (XPe) and GT7725 (Linux) use this chipset (mobo looks close to identical), with a dual core 2.3GHz Turion X2 Ultra (and a fan), and dual channel memory. Externally, the boxes are identical, including the I/O panel. Power supply is 19V (90 or 120W), however. Video is integrated HD 3200.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Here's the part# for the 2nd RAM Socket Reply with quote

The socket part# is
AS0A426-NARN-7F

If you google that part number, some sources and info for the part come up.

FOXCONN Site
http://www.fit-foxconn.com/search/Product_Details_Report.asp?P_PN=AS0A426-NARN-7F&P_type=Device-to-PCB%20connector&P_Family=Memory%20Connector&P_Series=DDR%20II%20SO%20DIMM%20Connector&searchTypeID=4

More photos and a possible distributor
http://www.icphotos.org/photo/AS0A426NARN7F.html

A DATA Sheet
http://www.fit-foxconn.com/catalog/spec/ProductSpec/as0a426-narn-7f.pdf

The original Google Search link
https://www.google.com/#q=AS0A426-NARN-7F

momo wrote:
Hi, I'm sure the newer HP ThinClients do have this second RAM socket, but I'm not getting a new ThinClient, just for the second RAM option, when I can add it myself to the T5730.
if you have a Surface Mount Hot-Air soldering device, it's easy to put it on there. (yes, I have one Smile )

The socket is available. I found a distributor, but never got the socket, when my mother died, near the time I was going to get the part.

I have to look-up that info, I have it somewhere, but I'm not in a rush.
you don't seem to be in one either. Wink

spoolin01 wrote:

Last edited by momo on Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:19 am; edited 2 times in total
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Just returned from vacation and read through your posts. The mini PCIe slot on the underside is where HP put the wireless card. I don't know if it will run a SATA drive. There is also one part number that always appears to have the PCIe connector, even if not OEM wifi. The other P/Ns don't have the connector installed unless they were OEM wifi. I can look up that P/N if you want it.

HP riser cards come up often on eBay, you may be able to find the one from the T5730 module if you watch for it. The only one I have left is from a new boxed unit, which is why it is priced where it is. At one time there seemed to be a lot of these expansion modules available after the T5700 line had gone end-of-life, so I'm sure they'll pop up on ebay from time to time.

An expansion module was also available for the GT series, and had a full length PCIe connector. I don't know enough about the technology to offer more information than that. Perhaps that one would work with the T5730. I don't recall if that module was similarly offered with both PCI and PCIe risers. That might be a clue whether they used the same wiring scheme.

If you want the dual RAM, the GT7720/7725 is closely related but has dual RAM. They come with the Turion X2 ZM-84 CPU and fan, but you can install the Sempron CPU if you want fanless (the reverse of the momo upgrade).
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Awesome valuable info you gave... Thanks..!!! :) Reply with quote

That's some great info, spoolin01. Smile

If they actually had a full-sized PCIe riser-card, I'm wondering if it was x16 or x4 , if not just x1 with a large empty area not connected.

Yeah...if I was going to use the Mini-PCIe on the bottom of the motherboard, I would need it to support at least a SATA II and would be nice to also have a USB 3.0 connector.

If no USB 3, at least the SATA. otherwise it's of no use to me, to add that connector.
By the way, that Mini-PCIe connector is available at DigiKey.

As for the 2nd RAM socket... I remember finding a distributor, who had them in-stock for around $8 + shipping (I'm checking my backups of old data)

I'm not going to buy another ThinClient with that 2nd RAM, just to have 2 sockets... LOL... It's crazy enough to add a socket... Smile .. But buying a new TC just cause it's on there already, is way to crazy for me.

With a Hot-Air SMD soldering device, putting the socket on the board is WAY easier, than removing one.
I may not even need to remove the board. Solder paste & resin are easy to work with, once you know the technique of using it.

spoolin01 wrote:
Hi Guys,
Just returned from vacation and read through your posts. The mini PCIe slot on the underside is where HP put the wireless card. I don't know if it will run a SATA drive. There is also one part number that always appears to have the PCIe connector, even if not OEM wifi. The other P/Ns don't have the connector installed unless they were OEM wifi. I can look up that P/N if you want it.

HP riser cards come up often on eBay, you may be able to find the one from the T5730 module if you watch for it. The only one I have left is from a new boxed unit, which is why it is priced where it is. At one time there seemed to be a lot of these expansion modules available after the T5700 line had gone end-of-life, so I'm sure they'll pop up on ebay from time to time.

An expansion module was also available for the GT series, and had a full length PCIe connector. I don't know enough about the technology to offer more information than that. Perhaps that one would work with the T5730. I don't recall if that module was similarly offered with both PCI and PCIe risers. That might be a clue whether they used the same wiring scheme.

If you want the dual RAM, the GT7720/7725 is closely related but has dual RAM. They come with the Turion X2 ZM-84 CPU and fan, but you can install the Sempron CPU if you want fanless (the reverse of the momo upgrade).

Last edited by momo on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
spoolin01
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew how to do that kind of soldering. I've suspected many of the dead thin clients simply had bad RAM slots. I tried a heat gun to resolder but it just melted the connector.

I don't know enough about PCIe to tell much by looking. I've planned to install a vid card and use a utility to check how many lanes it's running, but haven't done it yet. Too many other projects, and there are better (lower power draw) 'high-performance' TC options these days. One day I'll also check if the risers can be switched to the T5730. I've got several of the GT expansion modules still to get rid of.

The GT series is similar vintage to the T5730. They don't come up often on eBay but since no one seems to know about them, they don't attract much competition. They are fairly powerful for an older TC, but also fairly high wattage, around 50 at idle if I recall. They were sold with a 120W adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SMD hot-air soldering device similar to this one...
http://sra-solder.com/product.php/6368/26/aoyue_8032a_hand_held_digital_hot_air_gun

But there are better options now, like this one...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATTEN-AT858D-SMD-220V-Hot-Air-Rework-Station-Handheld-Hot-Gun-/221311756729

There's also THE HOT AIR PENCIL
http://zeph.com/pap.html

All use special tips that direct the hot-air to just go over the pins being worked with, by actually making the shape of the tip hot air output the size and shape of the package being soldered.

You can google ... hand held hot-air smd soldering to see more devices! and here's a small YouTube video on soldering with it. I'm sure more exist on YouTube too... Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

And this one, actually using a hot-air tip...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z0IiuQ35HU

Usually, for soldering ON a component, you don't always need the tip to "fit" the number of pins, as that last video showed.

Unsoldering usually is easier when all the pins are heated at the same time, to simply lift the part from the board, after the solder is melted.
But lifting too soon can lift the pad traces too... It's an acquired skill, after several uses, to feel how it's done.

spoolin01 wrote:
I wish I knew how to do that kind of soldering. I've suspected many of the dead thin clients simply had bad RAM slots. I tried a heat gun to resolder but it just melted the connector.

I don't know enough about PCIe to tell much by looking. I've planned to install a vid card and use a utility to check how many lanes it's running, but haven't done it yet. Too many other projects, and there are better (lower power draw) 'high-performance' TC options these days. One day I'll also check if the risers can be switched to the T5730. I've got several of the GT expansion modules still to get rid of.

The GT series is similar vintage to the T5730. They don't come up often on eBay but since no one seems to know about them, they don't attract much competition. They are fairly powerful for an older TC, but also fairly high wattage, around 50 at idle if I recall. They were sold with a 120W adapter.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: *** New edits in first post *** Reply with quote

See important additional info, and a photo of my system in the first post.

(Edits on, July 11th, 2014, photo, .... July 5th, 2014, additional important info)

reflexdarky
MagicJack Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: HP thin client Reply with quote

hey guys great to see other modders out there working on this great thin client system.

@momo did you find the pcie mod at mod2 tab on the parkytowers.me.uk website.

The mods i have carried out on my 2 clients was a cpu upgrade (tl58) ram and Flash dom

i also modded the riser unit to accept a pcie graphics card

I used openelec the best linux distro for running xbmc.

I have also found i did not have to bother with a power supply mod the original works no problem even when the system is under load eg playing 1080p video.

My next ideas for the system are to some how embed a IR controller sensor to the front of the device, Add the second memory slot and installing a bigger hard disc to store local media.

something i have found was when running windows the cpu speed would never go up from 800mhz but when running openelec the speed would rise up and down when required could this be a bios limitation

Another idea i had was also seeing if any other options could be unlocked on the bios but i have hit a brick wall with that at the moment
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: HP thin client Reply with quote

@reflexdarky
The mod2 tab was added way afterwards.

I posted there, with my original Mod, around 2 years ago, but figured-out the PCIe Mod later. I told the owner of that site about it, but he must have had another mod'r with the similar idea already, and started the "Mod2" tab with it.
As for your power supply being "OK" for now...
It all depends on how close to the original 50-watts you are.
If the TL-58 CPU doesn't take as much power as the TL-68 (as mine is) you may have a bit more wattage margin, but if you start adding stuff, like a new hard drive, or other USB devices, that's when you may go over the 50-watts of the original PSU.

I've noticed the company selling my PSU also has a PSU that's 8 amps (around 100 watts) and it uses the same connector as the ThinClient has now. So no mod of the connection for it is needed, as my 16-Amp (192 watts) PSU needed. Wink

It's strange hearing windows didn't let the CPU go higher than 800MHz
What windows OS did you try?
I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) w/ the Media Center add-on, to play my 1080 content & record from my Divico USB HDTV Tuner.

If I start to edit AVCHD video, taken from my camcorder, the both CPU cores come on and the CPU speed increases. (As well as the heat generated by the CPU Smile )
Could it be your new TL-58 CPU may be defective?

I wanted to add the second RAM as well, but haven't looked thru my backups of where I originally found the place selling the proper socket for it.
I've been too busy with other stuff so far, but I know I have that info, I just hope the distributor is still in business, and still has the socket to sell.

YES... ...I agree, ... The BIOS is the final mod needed to be "cracked".
There must be other hidden features in it that were shut-down by HP when they made these ThinClients. That's going to be the hardest to get info of...and if you screw-up the BIOS, you can "kiss the ThinClient good-bye"

Is your Linux OS 64-bit ?
If not, you're missing out on the extra speed and "fluid motion" it creates with video playback.

By-the-way...what PCIe graphics card did you use?
Nothing too fancy, I hope. Smile

reflexdarky wrote:
hey guys great to see other modders out there working on this great thin client system.

@momo did you find the pcie mod at mod2 tab on the parkytowers.me.uk website.

The mods i have carried out on my 2 clients was a cpu upgrade (tl58) ram and Flash dom

i also modded the riser unit to accept a pcie graphics card

I used openelec the best linux distro for running xbmc.

I have also found i did not have to bother with a power supply mod the original works no problem even when the system is under load eg playing 1080p video.

My next ideas for the system are to some how embed a IR controller sensor to the front of the device, Add the second memory slot and installing a bigger hard disc to store local media.

something i have found was when running windows the cpu speed would never go up from 800mhz but when running openelec the speed would rise up and down when required could this be a bios limitation

Another idea i had was also seeing if any other options could be unlocked on the bios but i have hit a brick wall with that at the moment
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Momo I just wanted to thank you for all of the work you have done putting up this information about the 5730 series thin clients. I have a few of these and have been playing around with them looking online for things I can do to modify them to make them more usable and your post is the best one on the internet by far. I would like to make one small contribution that I have found so far and that is the Broadcom BCM70012 HD decoder card. I bought one of these for the mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the motherboard and it works great with windows 7. It totally eliminates the need for the expansion module in order to put in a full sized graphics card. I tried running several builds of XBMC by themselves on 5735 and found that none of the linux based distros have graphics drivers for the on board Radeon X1250 that work. All of the installs ended up being all artifact-ed. I ended up using a cheap 44 pin to zif adapter and using a ipod 4200rpm 80gb 1.8" hard disk that would fit inside the case and putting a full install of windows 7 on it and it works great now. It will eat any media I throw at it at full 1080p with the little broadcom card. My next project if I can find a expansion module for a reasonable amount is going to see if I can get a cable card tuner to work with this setup. If I can it will make this little thin client essentially a defacto set top cable box/dvr that I don't have to pay $25 a month for. Again thanks for all of your hard work and posts here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190869057072?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spam ... or maybe not..?

Last edited by Pilot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Thanks for your addition of mods Reply with quote

@T5735

Thanks for the extra mods info. It's always nice to learn of other cards to put into the T5730/T5735 ThinClient.

Did your T5735 already have the Mini-PCIe socket installed on the bottom of the motherboard? My T5730 didn't, and at the time of my mods I didn't even know it had the circuit board trace pattern to add one. Smile

That's why I went with the expansion module... It was easier at that time.

Finding the expansion kit for this is getting harder, so knowing another way to install a PCIe card is always good to know. Wink thanks for the info.

I searched for other sellers of this card, and found these as well ...

2 sellers From Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal/dp/B009VY453E

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-AW-VD904/dp/B00B6P71OQ

And another from eBay...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM70012-BCM970012-BCM70010-Crystal-HD-Decoder-/180733336762

For anyone needing the 52 position (pin) Mini-PCIe socket,
The JAE brand socket is available from DigiKey.
Doing a search on their site brings up many JAE parts... But only several 52-pin sockets are listed.

I'm not sure which of them will work on the ThinClient, but here is the link for anyone needing it...

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80093&k=JAE+connectors&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=0&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=100

And one link example of just one of those 52-position sockets is...

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MM60-52B1-G1-R850/670-2516-6-ND/2504807

I hope all this info helps someone, more than confusing them. Smile
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot
I figured the same thing...that's why I listed other sellers of this card, just in case it was a SPAM post by that last poster.
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 5 of them from work and 4 of them had the mini pci-e slots on the bottom. The way to tell if they have them is if on the end of the thin client there is a little hole towards the back covered with a rubber grommet then it will have a mini pci-e slot on the bottom of the motherboard as that slot was intended for the optional wireless card and the hole on the side of the thin client is where the antenna went that was attached to that card.

Last edited by T5735 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot
I figured the same thing...that's why I listed other sellers of this card, just in case it was a SPAM post by that last poster.

Heh well that seller is in China and I am in South Carolina so that spam would have to travel a long way. Very Happy That was just the cheapest place I had found them and where I ordered mine from. You can also use the newer version the BCM970015 with the adapter plate as well but it is more expensive. I used one of those in my T5740 that I use as a XBMC streaming box.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi T5735
Sorry I had to use the SPAM word...I've gotten many one-post replies, and didn't know for sure if yours fell into that category as well.

I'm glad to see you're NOT a SPAM'r. Wink

Hey, does your frame-rate play smoothly with HD content?
I saw a YouTube video showing this card, and it gave sputter on that users system when he showed an example of video playing on his Windows 7 system.

T5735 wrote:
momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot

Heh well that seller is in China and I am in South Carolina so that spam would have to travel a long way. Very Happy That was just the cheapest place I had found them and where I ordered mine from. You can also use the newer version the BCM970015 with the adapter plate as well but it is more expensive. I used one of those in my T5740 that I use as a XBMC streaming box.
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
Hi T5735
Sorry I had to use the SPAM word...I've gotten many one-post replies, and didn't know for sure if yours fell into that category as well.

I'm glad to see you're NOT a SPAM'r. Wink

Hey, does your frame-rate play smoothly with HD content?
I saw a YouTube video showing this card, and it gave sputter on that users system when he showed an example of video playing on his Windows 7 system.

T5735 wrote:
momo wrote:
Pilot wrote:
spam

Hi Pilot

I have not used it a great deal on the 5735 as I use the 5740 to view media but so far it hasn't had a single problem at any file I have thrown at it. I think most of the people that have problems like you are talking about are using little netbooks that really don't have the horsepower to support the HD card. I upgraded the ram to a 2gb stick and I also use a 8gb flash drive in one of the internal usb ports as a windows ready boost to help with memory. I didn't want to spend much $ on these as I got them for free from work so I did a BIN on one of these auctions and upgraded the CPU's to Athlon 64 x2 TK-55 1.8GHz 512K. It was only $7 shipped for 5 cpus so I figured I would give it a shot as so far they seem to be working just fine but they come up as some different CPU in the bios but register just fine in windows. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 cpu over these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141140816548
Edit: I also almost forgot to mention that the Radeon X1250 onboard video card on this little thin client will do audio over DVI with a DVI-D to HDMI adapter. I was very surprised when I plugged in my DVI-D to HDMI adapter that came with my pc's graphics card into it and audio started to play on the tv before I had plugged in a 3.5mm audio cable.
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5735 wrote:

I have not used it a great deal on the 5735 as I use the 5740 to view media but so far it hasn't had a single problem at any file I have thrown at it. I upgraded the ram to a 2gb stick and I also use a 8gb flash drive in one of the internal usb ports as a windows ready boost to help with memory. I didn't want to spend much $ on these as I got them for free from work so I did a BIN on one of these auctions and upgraded the CPU's to Athlon 64 x2 TK-55 1.8GHz 512K. It was only $7 shipped for 5 cpus so I figured I would give it a shot as so far they seem to be working just fine but they come up as some different CPU in the bios but register just fine in windows. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 cpu over these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141140816548

I also tried a lower cost CPU first, but was happier with the faster TL-68 - 2.4GHz CPU instead.

When I purchased it, the cost of the TL-68 was just $90 plus $4 shipping.
Now I've seen them for as much as $150

I'm sure other sources may have them for less, as used items, or old stock from companies just wanting to get rid of them Smile

The speed increase from a 1.8GHz CPU - to the 2.4GHz speed is noticeable with editing AVCHD ... As for HD playback a 64-bit OS was the bigger difference for me, but it did make everything better with the faster 2.4GHz speed as well.
T5735

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

momo wrote:
T5735 wrote:

I have not used it a great deal on the 5735 as I use the 5740 to view media but so far it hasn't had a single problem at any file I have thrown at it. I upgraded the ram to a 2gb stick and I also use a 8gb flash drive in one of the internal usb ports as a windows ready boost to help with memory. I didn't want to spend much $ on these as I got them for free from work so I did a BIN on one of these auctions and upgraded the CPU's to Athlon 64 x2 TK-55 1.8GHz 512K. It was only $7 shipped for 5 cpus so I figured I would give it a shot as so far they seem to be working just fine but they come up as some different CPU in the bios but register just fine in windows. Do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 2.2 or 2.4 cpu over these? http://www.ebay.com/itm/141140816548

I also tried a lower cost CPU first, but was happier with the faster TL-68 - 2.4GHz CPU instead.

When I purchased it, the cost of the TL-68 was just $90 plus $4 shipping.
Now I've seen them for as much as $150

I'm sure other sources may have them for less, as used items, or old stock from companies just wanting to get rid of them Smile

The speed increase from a 1.8GHz CPU - to the 2.4GHz speed is noticeable with editing AVCHD ... As for HD playback a 64-bit OS was the bigger difference for me, but it did make everything better with the faster 2.4GHz speed as well.

I might just compromise and get one of these TL-64 2.2's for $17 and see how that does. I know you save a good bit of money by doing it but man I hate having to wait 2 to 3 weeks for stuff to get here from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-64-2-2-GHz-Dual-Core-CPU-Processor-TMDTL64HAX5DM-/271555488953?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f39f7ecb9
momo
Dan Should Pay Me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I know what you mean...shipping from china takes a long time, sometimes.

I saw your added info ...
Edit: I also almost forgot to mention that the Radeon X1250 onboard video card on this little thin client will do audio over DVI with a DVI-D to HDMI adapter. I was very surprised when I plugged in my DVI-D to HDMI adapter that came with my pc's graphics card into it and audio started to play on the tv before I had plugged in a 3.5mm audio cable.

That's really interesting... Thanks for that.

I found this USA seller from Texas with a TL-68, but it's $66.88
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-68-2-4-GHz-Dual-Core-TMDTL68HAX5DM-MOBILE-SOCKET-S1G1-/321470791337?pt=CPUs&hash=item4ad926fea9

I don't know if 200MHz more, from the TL-64, is worth the higher costs, also for faster shipping
But maybe other sources not from eBay may have it cheaper.
Have you tried Amazon?

EDIT
Oops...I just checked on Amazon, and saw it was MORE expensive...
TMDTL68HAX5DM
http://www.amazon.com/Turion-Dual-Core-Mobile-Processor-TMDTL68HAX5DM/dp/B001R3H46W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406879718&sr=8-1&keywords=TMDTL68HAX5DM

Remember, when you use a faster CPU, you may also need a better higher wattage power supply

T5735 wrote:

I might just compromise and get one of these TL-64 2.2's for $17 and see how that does. I know you save a good bit of money by doing it but man I hate having to wait 2 to 3 weeks for stuff to get here from China.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Turion-64-X2-TL-64-2-2-GHz-Dual-Core-CPU-Processor-TMDTL64HAX5DM-/271555488953?pt=CPUs&hash=item3f39f7ecb9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: