magicJack  and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index

magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks

magicJack and magicJack Plus Unofficial Technical Support. Your Magic Jack and Magic Jack Plus phone service information resource

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New T5720 - Looking to verify and check before upgrading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netkid
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: New T5720 - Looking to verify and check before upgrading Reply with quote

Hi, I just got a T5720 with 512Mb RAM and 512Mb Flash. I am absolutely new to this and am looking to make sure that I have everything right before starting the procedure to reinstall XPe and customize the application. I intend to use it purely for MagicJack with the occassional browsing capability but that is not absolutely nescessary. I do however want a firewall and AV on it because I don't intend to check this machine everyday or even for months after it has been setup.

Procedure I am looking to follow is from the Sticky "HP Thin Client Modifications & Upgrades for MagicJack" and VaHam's post. All steps were taken from there so thx to VaHam and others for putting this sticky for newbies like me.

I just want to verify that the steps below is the way to go about it and my doubts on some of the steps. Thx

Before I install WinXPe do I need to upgrade the Bios and other stuff that is on HP's website?

1. Download the latest WinXPe image onto a USB drive from the HP Site. The problem over here is which version to select. The version HP is directing me to is Version: 5.1.710 Rev. (17 May 2009). In the release note it says that it can install on a 512/512 machine however it may experience low disk. Does anyone have this particular version running on 512/512 and is it ok and will it work with Magic Jack.

2. After downloading the XPe version to a desktop computer execute and select USB format and the USB key as the destination.

3. Restart TC and during power up press F10 to enter the bios settings and select USB as the first boot device and save the bios settings.

4. Power down the TC and insert the USB key into any USB port and power it up.

5. After the image installation is complete restart the TC again and change the Bios to boot from the internal disk.

6. After login gain access as administrator

7. Disable EWF

8. Remove the 6 software like Altris XPe Add-on's that were suggested by VaHam

9. Install TeamViewer for remote access to the TC

10. Adjust Time settings

11. Re-enable EWF

12. Make a flash image (I might decide to but the main thing here is can I install this flash image on a different size DOM when I get another TC later or does it have to be the same size 512Mb DOM)

13. After all this is done should I or do I need to install any updates to any software from the HP website? What are QFEs and do i need to install them individually or they come with the OS that I download

14. What AV can I use? Some posts I have read say that the Symantic Endpoint is quite bloated and that the MS-firewall for HP is a better option. Any suggestions?

15. I have still to do research on this but thought I would start by asking what in the world is WYSE. Some posts that I read say that after WYSE everything becomes plug and play so I am guessing that means that if I don't install WYSE than this TC will require some sort of regular maintainance. I have no clue so any comments would be great.

16. I don't see anywhere in the instructions where it specifies about the RAMdrive or the memory that is reserved on the internal HD. is this done automatically?

Thx
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to help but it's hard to tell which are questions and which are statements in your list above. And, as you stated, just use that stickied thread as your guide. Not much can go wrong and if it does, you just try again.

No BIOS upgrade required.

1. A 512/512 machine should be fine if all you are running is MJ and some security (ie firewall) software on it.

8. Some of the removal links did not work for me. I installed a tiny startup control panel program where I just shut off un-needed and unused software that came with the XPe install. (See - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml )

9. Teamviewer install is needed only if you do not want to use a dedicated mosue/video/keyboard with your t5720.

12. Flash image is not mandatory. It would just save you some of the above steps if something failed on your t5720 and you had to reinstall.

13. QFEs are individual patches and upgrades. All of them together could be considered a service pack just as the full version of WinXP is on Service Pack 3 right now. I have never installed any, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I probably should check into the QFEs a bit more but since my t5710 works flawlessly, I haven't bothered.

14. AV use is a personal choice. Many of us do not use it (including myself) but most of use do use a firewall from HP for the TCs. -

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=439748&prodNameId=439749&swEnvOID=1058&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=vc-88423-1

Personally, if I were to add an AV it would probably be the free Avast version. I do run that on some other machines and find it preferable to most other AV software. That said, AV software is a personal choice with everyone having their favorite.

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

15. Wyse is another maker of thin clients just as HP made yours. Wyse makes great thin clients they just aren't as common or supported as well in these forums.

16. Not sure what your question is. Your thin client has RAM memory and FLASH memory. The FLASH memory is the equivalent of the hard drive and will show up as C: in Windows Explorer. Regardless, there is nothing for you to do unless you physically want to remove one or the other and upgrade it for some reason.

Stick to the thread you mentioned and give it a go. You really can't break anything.
netkid
magicJack Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Thx Reply with quote

Hi Diggs,

Thx for replying and I do apologize for not being clear in my initial post.

With regards to the last one regarding the RAM drive I meant that I believe there is a Z: which I refer to as a RAMdrive that is created on the TC.

1. Isn't that Z: used as temporary RAM or something?

2. I have installed WinXPe and now I see that the Z: has only 15.95MB of total space out of which 15.61MB is free. Would that amount of space be ok?

3. Now that I have installed WinXPe I see that overall my C: has 488.22 MB out of which 75.80MB is free. Is that going to be sufficient for MagicJack and for the FW?

I haven't yet uninstalled any applications and am trying to figure out how to do it.

4. I am following those instructions and they stop short of saying how to install MagicJack software. Atleast I can't see anything. How can I install magic jack and ensure that it is setup to load up automatically? Do I need to commit any changes after installing magicjack software?

Thx for the tip regarding installing that uninstall app and for all your help.
Diggs
Dan isn't smart enough to hire me

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 & 2. Z: is RAM being used as a temp hard drive. 15 MB is correct. Nothing to worry about.

3. 75 MB seems small. Since your thin client doesn't have an Add/Remove programs option, then not sure what to tell you. Someone else may add to this on how to dump some unwanted software to get more room. You could run Windirstat from a USB FLASH drive to see what is taking up the space if you can't tell using Windows Explorer. Then delete what is not needed manually.

4. Just plugging in MJ (or having it plugged in on boot) will load it up, but after it is running (and has updated itself) you should commit the changes or it will run it's updates every time you reboot or plug it in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    magicJack and magicJack Plus Support, Reviews, FAQs and Hacks Forum Index -> Using magicJack on a Thin Client All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: